Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you tell pedestrians on a course?
Politely tell the group to move from the hole so you can throw. 41 25.95%
Warn them about the flying discs in the area 72 45.57%
Throw into them and yell "Fore". 10 6.33%
Skip the hole and don't say anything 23 14.56%
I would approach the situation differently. 12 7.59%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Pedestrians in the Fairway... What would you do?

So recently I came across two separate families picnicking on the course. One was doing it about 40 feet in front of a basket, and the other was literally ON the tee. So what would you do?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Move on to the next hole.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Politely approach them and explain that they're in a dangerous position and are impairing others' ability to use the park's resources.

If they refuse to move, just skip ahead to the next hole.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 417
I warn them and educate them on the hazard. If they speak English or Spanish, that is.

Definitely recommend moving to a different spot.

But I always throw.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 56
Lately, I've been experiencing a mini-epidemic of people casually walking backwards through the course. This has happened to me at three different courses in the past month. Each time, I was about to throw when they appeared seemingly as if out of nowhere. I tried to explain to them that it was dangerous to walk the course backwards because of all the blind places where they would be invisible to those playing. Each time, I was greeted with a shrug and a mumble.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Above all else, act politely no matter what they may say or do.

Approach them in a friendly manner and point out that they're set up on a disc golf course. Educate them as to what the basket and tee are used for and how frequently they get used for that purpose. Show them a disc or two so they understand they're not dealing with typical beach frisbees. Suggest that their chosen spot might not be the ideal spot for a picnic. Point out that it isn't just from a safety perspective that it isn't ideal, but also because you won't be the last person that they encounter who wants to use the disc golf course and will likely inconvenience their meal. They don't have to move but they're going to deal with more disc golfers than they'd probably like to deal with if they do stay where they are.

Whatever you do, don't throw at or near them. And don't tell them they must move their picnic elsewhere. If that's necessary, it's better to find a park authority (ranger, cop, whatever) than to do it yourself.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Lately, I've been experiencing a mini-epidemic of people casually walking backwards through the course. This has happened to me at three different courses in the past month. Each time, I was about to throw when they appeared seemingly as if out of nowhere. I tried to explain to them that it was dangerous to walk the course backwards because of all the blind places where they would be invisible to those playing. Each time, I was greeted with a shrug and a mumble.
That is the kind of thing that annoys me. You try to be helpful and warn people of danger and they ignore you. At that point if they get hit, it's most certainly their fault.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Above all else, act politely no matter what they may say or do.

Approach them in a friendly manner and point out that they're set up on a disc golf course. Educate them as to what the basket and tee are used for and how frequently they get used for that purpose. Show them a disc or two so they understand they're not dealing with typical beach frisbees. Suggest that their chosen spot might not be the ideal spot for a picnic. Point out that it isn't just from a safety perspective that it isn't ideal, but also because you won't be the last person that they encounter who wants to use the disc golf course and will likely inconvenience their meal. They don't have to move but they're going to deal with more disc golfers than they'd probably like to deal with if they do stay where they are.

Whatever you do, don't throw at or near them. And don't tell them they must move their picnic elsewhere. If that's necessary, it's better to find a park authority (ranger, cop, whatever) than to do it yourself.
I agree 100% with you. Very well said.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Skip the hole... but definately crop-dust as you walk on by.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
It's irritating when you see this, but its not worth getting irate or demanding about, much less risking injury to someone by throwing on them.

Nonetheless, if this is epidemic at a particular course I would perhaps have word with the parks department about putting up some warning signage. Due to the not so demonstrative presence of disc golf infrastructure, a lot of these folks aren't even aware that they're in the line of fire.