Honesdale, PA
Prompton State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 6/2013)

I love this course!

5+    8/14/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: Rkilker
Pros: The location is beautiful and the park is well maintained especially in the past year. There is excellent use of elevation and multiple basket placements. You really get the chance to air out drives on many holes but there are still a few technical drives added in the past few years that definitely improve the overall play.
Cons: There are quite a few holes that are beautiful and long but are essentially just in an open field. This is a pro and a con because sometimes it is fun to be able to rip and not worry about losing a disc but when I used to play this course exclusively it didn't teach me to control my disc flight path.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the area hands down and one if the best courses I have ever played. It's worth the drive! It is well maintained and has brand new tee markers that allow you to easily navigate the course. If you love to launch on drives this is the place for you.

Prompton Redone

5+    6/12/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: ekabz
Pros:
The park has had some "remodeling" done the last few years and the park has been closed. The park opened back up late last summer and I think it could use another review. I am very pleased to see they kept the disc golf course!

Each hole still has a yellow basket and a red basket at a farther range. If you were a regular at Prompton, remember that the holes have changed a little bit and the order is different. Hole #1 starts off near the right side parking lot and goes down towards the lake from there. I don't believe this was the case before.

- Beautiful scenery.
- Most holes are very well maintained.
- Quiet and peaceful.
- Lake still comes in to play on a few holes. I always find this fun.
- Great balance of open field throwing for people with "big arms" and some woods play for those who like to take more approach shots, especially on red baskets.

I could play this course every weekend and be content. I've only been to a few courses in the area but this is my favorite.
Cons: - Red basket on hole #12 was very overgrown, possibly due to wetness in the area and they don't want to tear it up. (June 12th)
- Walk from Hole #5 to Hole #6 is still a bit long, but not a huge deal.
- Since they added a new building, Hole #11 was kind of just mashed in there. It's not a very good hole, but I don't really think they can put it anywhere else. You basically have the road on the left, a small valley in the middle, and to the right you have a hill of boulders and a huge platform/field where the building is on. Hard to explain, but I'm not too fond of this hole.

My suggestion for hole #11 is to keep your disc right, so you're not hitting your discs off of the boulders or the road.
Other Thoughts: If you're bored and want a good workout, scan the boulders on hole #11 for some free discs. I found a few there the last couple of days. If they were marked I'd return them, but I don't mind a few extra discs. Just be careful.

Long by the Lake

5+    9/23/2005   10/23/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
Pros: A really fun place to air it out. Spectacular scenery, well maintained and challenging. Holes are well thought out for scoring spread. Get your birdies where you can because you're going to card some bogeys too. It's darn near impossible to lose a disc, or even damage one here, provided you keep an eye on where you land in the tall grass.
Really good use of elevation. A wind player's dream of a course, and a nice place to be. A wonderful tournament venue.

Cons: It's remote, and not really on the way to anyplace else. That, of course is no one's fault. There are some long walks, but I've seen worse. It's far from any eating establishments.
Other Thoughts: I like Promton, but don't get there often as it's far away. Honesdale is an interesting town with lots of character and local color. It's a nice place to take a family for a day in the sun. It's not the place to take a first-time golfer. Get up there and you'll have a blast.

A Big Arm Course

5+    6/17/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: Bramanws187
Pros: Prompton State Park has two sets of tees, novice and advanced. The novice course has many holes that are twoable with all of them threeable. This is a nice open course with the neccessity of a big arm. The advanced course is excellent. There are many holes over 500 feet with four or five holes twoable and some that are extremelly difficult to 5. Not only do you need a big arm but also great approaches and putting are a must to score in the high low 60s.
Cons: The 2 problems I have with the course are that the course is too open and that it is too overgrown. There are 3 or 4 wooded holes so it is very unbalanced but still very fun to play. The advanced course on the other hand does include more approach shots that are in the woods and has a hole that is over 950 feet long! The course could use better grooming over the summer months and permanent signs would help a lot too. Also, the wind sometimes picks up and makes for a difficult round of golf.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I have played it over a hundred times easily. If you have a big arm and are up for a beautiful course it is a must to play in the area. I would travel and hour and a half from this course to play it in a heartbeat.

Promptly delivered...

1    3/28/2009   3/28/2009
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 holes with two baskets for each tee; a shorter hole for those that suck like myself (yellow DIScatchers) and tougher locations and further throws for those that are better. Many of the tees are in great shape and almost all of the tees had a map. Many of the times you can see the basket from the tee anyway. Although more of the holes are open, there are some wooden holes (5, 7, and 17 come to mind) and there is just enough variety to throw off the fact that this course IS for big arms. Baskets are in great shape. Course a little wet in places but not muddy. Excellent usage of the land. The elevation factor is tremendous. Gorgeous area of the state. Port-o-lets on site.
Cons: I would have to say that 9 and 10 are too close to the road. Those who are strictly LHBH may find themselves OB in a hurry, especially on 9. The long walks between 5 and 6 as well as 11 and 12 are kind of annoying. No water fountains.
Other Thoughts: I drove about 90 minutes to get here, and I thought this was definitely worth the drive. Come up and have a picnic in between rounds, and take the time to throw both the yellow and red pins. Even mixing it up will spice up your round. Short drive from Honesdale as well as about 1/2 hr from Scranton/ I-81. A must play in this area of the state.

Promising Prompton

1    2/13/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Perhaps some of the most anticipating holes I have ever played. Some really fun holes here. Plenty of chances to get your long range driver out and see what you can do. Bombs Away here! Big crushes down hills, huge climbing drives uphills, open fields, and virtually every other type of big arm shot is available here.Over 8000 ft of disc golf driving here. 6 holes really stand out here:
#1 is a downhill drive and then a hook with the lake surrounding 2/3 of an immaculating green
#2 uphill drive to a protected basket
#3 gorgeous drive with trees on either side of a wiiiide fairway and the rock dam as a backdrop...pretty.
#11 The signature drive over 500 feet downhill bomb onto a huge elevated plateau below.....just fun to watch your disc soar in all that open space
#13 a new personal favorite of mine...a 600 foot drive across another very wide fairway to the base of a hill where it is another 300+ ft to the basket way up a hill, yeah you drive 600 feet then you drive 300 more uphill to the basket..absolutely glorious hole here!
#18 a little punch down to the basket sitting in front of the lake....very scenic and dangerous at same time.
Course is clean and in pristine condition. 2 baskets per hole! Expert baskets are usually snuggled into the woods and novice baskets are more in the open. The addition of woods in play on holes 7 and 8 adds a bit of technical skill. Hard to lose a disc here. Windy and Wonderful.
Cons: It is very isolated. A bit too heavy on just bomber golf here. I would have liked it if they could incorporate the woods a bit more. Perhaps shooting out of the woods into space a bit more often or shooting into a wooded fairway from open space. I think when 16 of the holes are just Sky golf it is very unbalanced. Needs something more. I played in winter so high grass not an issue but it looks atrocious in some of the photos. There are some really average holes here...filler? Holes 4,5,9,10,12, and 15 are just average holes. I think these really hurt the courses national prominence. Holes 9 and 10 play way too close to a road for a reckless big arm course. This is one of those courses where you look around and can visualize so much more in your mind than what is offered. Much has been said of the long walk from 5 to 6. I think 6 could start further down the hill. This would make hole 6 another memorable beast of a hole and lessen the walk. Huge concrete tees would fit in nicely on such a big open course, but instead you have lackluster tees here. Windy and Wicked.
Other Thoughts: It may seem I was disappointed here but I was not...It is just that this course is really spectacular and it has the promise to be one of the best. So much elevation, so much sky, so much green openness, so many views. This is an unmatched backdrop for disc golf. The 6 holes I mentioned make this course worth the journey. On the way there you can see huge Windmills on top of a mountain...check out how fast they are moving....If they are going slowly or are still...you are going to have a good time at Prompton!

Great course

5+    9/29/2008   10/28/2008
Review By: kwb5027
Pros: This course is my favorite i've ever played. Since they reopened with the course design changed its even better, with the exception of the changes to #11. #1 is a great way to start off a course while #8 far is a beast (I've only 3'd it once). The new design adds a bit of technical skill that was sorely needed before.
Cons: No tournaments anymore.
Other Thoughts: I admit i may be a little biased towards this course considering I play it every single day over the summer and its about 5 min from my house, having said that anyone who plays there regularly should drop me a line.

Beautiful & Remote

2-4    8/18/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: There are many adjectives that can be used to describe Prompton. Serene, scenic, remote, hilly, challenging, well maintained.. the list goes on. Each hole has dual baskets, red and yellow, with the reds being the more challenging of the two.

The course is well-marked and easy to follow with scorecards and pencils available at the first tee. The practice basket is also a welcome addition to the course.
Cons: The walk from hole #5 to hole #6 was fairly long but it was well marked with 3 different signs so you were never left wondering where to go.

Also, while the tee pads were nice and large, they weren't particularly level. Often times this had no effect on my run-up but it was worth a mention.
Other Thoughts: This is really one of my favorite disc golf courses. I have played it a few times over the years and the recent improvements only make a good course better. The course redesign has added two wooded holes and of course, dual baskets for each hole and a practice basket. I love the location, it's incredibly peaceful and beautiful. Often times you are the only one playing so it's like your own private disc golf course. The U.S. Army Core of Engineers takes great care of this course. They've built two bridges to get on/off the plateau that #11's baskets sit on and they will also be adding stairs to that area soon.

You'll find some serious elevation at Prompton so be prepared for a work out. I'd also recommend having something to drink with you, you'll need it. Players with big arms will love this course as even the yellow baskets play quite long. In most cases, the new red baskets aren't always much farther than the yellows but they are placed in significantly more challenging spots.

The course plays mostly open with the exception of 6 holes where some trees get involved. While that might sound a little dull, the basket placements on the open holes usually add some challenge (especially the reds) and the hills that you seem to throw up more often than down also slightly increase the challenge factor.

If I was to rate this course on a pure enjoyment level, I'd give it a 5. I happen to like more open courses and obviously the setting here is second to none. But realistically, there isn't a huge amount of hole diversity and concrete tee pads would have been preferred over the rubber ones.

When all is said and done, I would highly recommend making the trip out to Prompton. You'll be greeted by a beautiful park with a very enjoyable disc golf course.

Room to Improve

2-4    6/15/2008   6/16/2008
Review By: cdavid74
This review was updated on 5/25/2009
Pros: Two pins per hole. All the baskets are brand spanking new. Very beautiful scenic area. Not busy at all. Very long course offering good aerobic walk. Great course to stretch out a big arm. The Back 9 (well 7) was a lot of fun to play.
Cons: Walk from 5th basket to 6th tee was extremely far. Grass was ankle high on many holes making it hard to find discs. Some pin placements left very little margin for error for a beginner like me. Bathroom facilities are port-a-jons.
Other Thoughts: This course looks like it's getting a lot of attention and improvements are in the works. Many areas had freshly laid sod and footbridges across tough terrain were brand new. The length of the grass and length between holes had a lot to do with me not rating this higher. A hole 5.5 would have been nice to give me something to do between 5 and 6. I'll make a return trip next summer to see what progress has been made. BTW - the sporting good store mentioned in a previous review is no longer there. A sign was in the window stating they had shut down the retail portion of the business.

UPDATE: I made a return trip to Prompton (5/25/09). Now in my sophomore DG year I had an easier time with some of the pin placements and enjoyed the challenge, however I still think 9 and 10 and dangerously close to the highway and that 12 is too close to a steep drop off. I also still think there is potential for a great hole or two between 5 and 6 and the distance between the two holes negatively impacts flow. I was happy to see a sign that said a stairway will be added to the side of the plateau which houses 11's baskets. This will greatly help flow between the front 11 and back 7. Also, this time the grass was beautifully trimmed and the park looked amazing. This more then anything made this trip better then my first. I changed my rating from a 2.5 to a 3.5 however I feel this property has the potential to yield a course that is not just very good, but something truly special.

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: 18 hole course, 2 pin placements per hole. Course is pretty much open. However I thought it was a very well done open course. They used the area they had very well. Course can get pretty windy and be careful on hole one. You can easily lose a disc. A spotter is highly recommended. Good course for the big arms to let it rip