Honesdale, PA
Prompton State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #15 Yellow Basket to Tee

Prompton Redone

5+    6/12/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: ekabz
Pros:
The park has had some "remodeling" done the last few years and the park has been closed. The park opened back up late last summer and I think it could use another review. I am very pleased to see they kept the disc golf course!

Each hole still has a yellow basket and a red basket at a farther range. If you were a regular at Prompton, remember that the holes have changed a little bit and the order is different. Hole #1 starts off near the right side parking lot and goes down towards the lake from there. I don't believe this was the case before.

- Beautiful scenery.
- Most holes are very well maintained.
- Quiet and peaceful.
- Lake still comes in to play on a few holes. I always find this fun.
- Great balance of open field throwing for people with "big arms" and some woods play for those who like to take more approach shots, especially on red baskets.

I could play this course every weekend and be content. I've only been to a few courses in the area but this is my favorite.
Cons: - Red basket on hole #12 was very overgrown, possibly due to wetness in the area and they don't want to tear it up. (June 12th)
- Walk from Hole #5 to Hole #6 is still a bit long, but not a huge deal.
- Since they added a new building, Hole #11 was kind of just mashed in there. It's not a very good hole, but I don't really think they can put it anywhere else. You basically have the road on the left, a small valley in the middle, and to the right you have a hill of boulders and a huge platform/field where the building is on. Hard to explain, but I'm not too fond of this hole.

My suggestion for hole #11 is to keep your disc right, so you're not hitting your discs off of the boulders or the road.
Other Thoughts: If you're bored and want a good workout, scan the boulders on hole #11 for some free discs. I found a few there the last couple of days. If they were marked I'd return them, but I don't mind a few extra discs. Just be careful.

Long by the Lake

5+    9/23/2005   10/23/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
Pros: A really fun place to air it out. Spectacular scenery, well maintained and challenging. Holes are well thought out for scoring spread. Get your birdies where you can because you're going to card some bogeys too. It's darn near impossible to lose a disc, or even damage one here, provided you keep an eye on where you land in the tall grass.
Really good use of elevation. A wind player's dream of a course, and a nice place to be. A wonderful tournament venue.

Cons: It's remote, and not really on the way to anyplace else. That, of course is no one's fault. There are some long walks, but I've seen worse. It's far from any eating establishments.
Other Thoughts: I like Promton, but don't get there often as it's far away. Honesdale is an interesting town with lots of character and local color. It's a nice place to take a family for a day in the sun. It's not the place to take a first-time golfer. Get up there and you'll have a blast.

Promptly delivered...

1    3/28/2009   3/28/2009
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 holes with two baskets for each tee; a shorter hole for those that suck like myself (yellow DIScatchers) and tougher locations and further throws for those that are better. Many of the tees are in great shape and almost all of the tees had a map. Many of the times you can see the basket from the tee anyway. Although more of the holes are open, there are some wooden holes (5, 7, and 17 come to mind) and there is just enough variety to throw off the fact that this course IS for big arms. Baskets are in great shape. Course a little wet in places but not muddy. Excellent usage of the land. The elevation factor is tremendous. Gorgeous area of the state. Port-o-lets on site.
Cons: I would have to say that 9 and 10 are too close to the road. Those who are strictly LHBH may find themselves OB in a hurry, especially on 9. The long walks between 5 and 6 as well as 11 and 12 are kind of annoying. No water fountains.
Other Thoughts: I drove about 90 minutes to get here, and I thought this was definitely worth the drive. Come up and have a picnic in between rounds, and take the time to throw both the yellow and red pins. Even mixing it up will spice up your round. Short drive from Honesdale as well as about 1/2 hr from Scranton/ I-81. A must play in this area of the state.

Great course

5+    9/29/2008   10/28/2008
Review By: kwb5027
Pros: This course is my favorite i've ever played. Since they reopened with the course design changed its even better, with the exception of the changes to #11. #1 is a great way to start off a course while #8 far is a beast (I've only 3'd it once). The new design adds a bit of technical skill that was sorely needed before.
Cons: No tournaments anymore.
Other Thoughts: I admit i may be a little biased towards this course considering I play it every single day over the summer and its about 5 min from my house, having said that anyone who plays there regularly should drop me a line.