Dayton, OH
Belmont Park Share
Uploaded By: Darth Anovin Hole #8 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 308ft.   3 / 308ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great Course, OK Location

1    7/13/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: tsqrd
Pros: Excellent use of mature trees and elevation changes.

Great variety in length and direction of holes. Requires long drives on some holes, finesse shots, left/right, high/low, you name it.

Very easy to transition from the basket to the next tee.

Concrete tee pads and signage with map, par, and distance listed.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are in need of maintenance. A lot of cracked pads and one has a severe slant to it. The pads vary in size which can make you adjust your throwing style. Some of the tees appear to have been extended with gravel.

The signage is very worn, and some are almost faded completely.

Some holes run very close to one another, so if it is busy, you could end up with some interference from other players.

The park is not in the greatest shape, and there is a lot of trash and broken beer bottles littered throguhout the park and course. Although I did not personally step in any dog poo, the smell was very strong, so I have to assume the potential exists.
Other Thoughts: All in all, the course is one of my all-time favorites. It is relatively open, yet has plenty of trees to get in the way. This could mean the difference in shooting par, or way over.

Some of the pars listed seemed to be high. I was able to shoot pretty low due to some short par 4s on the course. Perhaps I was just having a great day. I will know better next time I play here. There will definitely be a next time at Belmont!

5+    4/30/2011   5/10/2011
Review By: Captain Bad
Pros: Setting:
Belmont plays in a mostly open, multi-use city park. There are a couple hills and the elevation comes into play on several holes. There is a moderate amount of mature trees, but no significant ground coverage.

The course sits directly adjacent to some soccer fields, and the course often hosts dog walkers and joggers.

Equipment:
All pads are concrete. Some holes have multiple pads for some added variety and challenge. The baskets are in decent, but well used condition. Most holes have tee signs with adequate information -- hole map w/alternate pin placements, distances, and pars.

Course Design:
The flow of the course is good and easy to follow. An out-and-back element for holes 6-10 makes good use of the space available. Good variety of short and long holes make for interesting ace runs as well as opportunities for long bombs. A few holes have alternate pin placements.
Cons: Setting:
Belmont is the most popular course in the Dayton area; this leads to several crowding issues:
--Expect to wait at some tees.
--Since this is a bit of a multi-use park, dog walkers and joggers can sometimes get in the way. People often let their dogs run unleashed. --Oftentimes trashcans will be overflowing.

Equipment:
The tee pads are not all the same size. Shorter holes tend to have shorter tees and vice versa. On a couple of the shorter holes, I feel like my run-up is constrained by the size of the tee almost to the point of dictating the kind of shot I'm able to take. Also, some of the pads are starting to crack, or worse, almost separate into two sections (they were formed like sections of sidewalk rather than a continuous slab). One tee (Hole 13) significantly leans to the right.

The signs that do exist are alright, but they could use an update/upgrade.

Course Design:
Although there's a good variety of distances at Belmont, the relatively open nature of the course doesn't allow for much shot variety. The holes are all straightforward and don't require much creativity to find a workable line. Punishment for an errant shot is relatively weak allowing for fairly easy recoveries.

To go along with the crowding issues above, the tees for holes 6, 9, and 11 are all packed into one area. It's not rare to come up to those tees and find 2 or more groups there as well. Add in a picnic table and you've got a lot of (talkative) people in not a lot of space.

Several of the holes run a bit close to one another, so there's a potential safety issue there, but I've never experienced a problem myself. The parking lot runs directly parallel to Hole 1. I suggest parking on the far side of the lot to minimize any risk of your car getting hit.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Belmont is a fun, relatively well-maintained course. Although it can get very crowded, the people are generally friendly. Several holes may prove especially long for a beginner, but the open, straightforward design of the course is beginner friendly as it lends itself more to a "grip it and rip it" style of play than it does a strategic finesse game.

Where it all began!!

5+    3/29/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: Darth Anovin
Pros: For me, the biggest pro of this course is that this is where I learned what disc golf is. It will always hold a place in my heart. That may not mean much to some, but for a lot of Dayton locals, they feel the same way I do about this course. It can be good for beginners, but if I'm working on some new shots, I always hit up Belmont. I'm not saying it's easy though. My PB there is -1. But you can definitely work on your game here because of the hole designs. There is also some decent elevation changes here and 4 holes have two different pads, while seven holes have two different basket placements. And a local disc shop, the Hazy Shade is minutes away.
Cons: Due to the amount of people and certain types of people that can frequent this course, I try to play here very early in the day when it's not crowded. And on nice days, it can get VERY crowded. For some this may not pose a problem, as you can engage in some good conversations if you get held up. But it does attract a lot of beginners. So if you're out there and get stuck behind a group of seven that are new to the sport, be patient!
Other Thoughts: What can I say about Belmont, other than, "IT'S BELMONT."

*This course scored a 30 out of 45 on my rating scale.

5+    8/27/2010   3/30/2011
Review By: streetz.2
Pros: -Fairly open with only a few large trees in play which makes for some fun yet challenging shots
-Decent tee pads
-Good signage
-Good mix of distance so you have to finesse on some holes and grip and rip on others.
-Some fun elevation change
-Locals have been friendly every time I have played here
Cons: Sometimes can be fairly crowded on nice days
Other Thoughts: I really have no major complaints about this course. I think it's a great course to play. It's a really fun course to play with a good mix of elevation changes. I love to play here and would recommend it to anybody looking to have a great enjoyable round.

Simply Excellent

5+    10/2/2010   2/2/2011
Review By: bigred
Pros: A little bit of everything, from length to elevation, good tees, well made sign, the course also flows very nicely.
Cons: Could use a few more absticals but not bad over all
Other Thoughts: for how young the sport was when this course was layed out, the disigner had great vision.

Belmont

5+    11/18/2010   1/18/2011
Review By: vetonoshake
Pros: Nice, mostly open holes here with a variety of distances. Almost impossible to lose a disc, unless maybe you go over a fence or something. Neighbors on hole 4 have discs for sale, and there is a disc store very close. Concrete pads, great hole placement.
Cons: Not the most family friendly due to drinking and what not, but everyone is pretty nice. Can get VERY crowded, especially on nice days. Soccer field on 16 is a hazard when in use.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever played, and still the only place I've gotten an ace (so far). I really love playing here, but the crowds have gotten to be a bit much the last couple of years. Worth checking out if you're in the Dayton area.

always my home course

5+    12/21/2010   12/21/2010
Review By: bbobsuek
Pros: good utilization
you wont lose a disc unless you leave it behind
couple of ace runs (I got #7 hehe)
18 is a cool closer
fun fair challenge
beautiful big trees and excellent sight lines
Cons: can get crowded

Other Thoughts: the stoners and guys having a couple of beers add to the ambiance
reminds me of that line by the Who
people try to put us down just because we play a round at Belmont that is

I Have a Blast Here

5+    12/11/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: Chainrattler
Pros: I rate this course Excellent because it has a great flow to it. It feels like a walk in the park even though there are some hills to contend with. This course challenges me to stay consistent with long drives because it is mostly open. There aren't many trees to deal with, and no woods. As a new player, this course helps me to get better. If you play bad, you can't blame it on the woods, or the water, or anything else except you.
Cons: I appreciate the maturity of this course, but alot of the baskets need to be replaced and the tee signs need updated graphics.

Old school

5+    11/17/2010   11/24/2010
Review By: whatweretheythinkin
Pros: Nice "old school" course. Good use of land for what that is worth. A few long tees. Quick round (under 2 hours) Can't really get into trouble out there which can keep the round moving pretty good. Place to buy discs close by.
Cons: Get ready for trash!!! Every time I play here, there is trash overflowing from the cans where available. Cig butts everywhere and dog crap as well. The residents must use this as a toilet for their dogs. A lot of drinking and smoking out in the open. A number of cracked tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Although I am not opposed to drinking, but this place has a lot of carreer alkys. Always someone drinking out in the open. Not a good representation of disc golfers, but Dayton seems to not care about this(at least at this course).
I see that a lot of golfers learned to play out there and it is busy most of the time. Clean up the drinking/smoking and would play this place more.

A fun play

1    10/26/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: Belmont is a very nice park style course that is well kept. The course was free of debris and the grass was nicely mowed. All of the baskets and tees are in good shape. The designers of this course really maximized all the available land and came up with a really fun course that plays up, down and through some really nice hardwoods. There is a great variety in the holes also, uphill shots, downhill rippers, flat, right turning, left turning, ace runs and bombs. Each hole requires some shot shaping around large hardwood trees and there are numerous routes available on each one. The designers or the locals have also done a good job of protecting some of the pin placements where possible. This course would be a great beginner course and still can be fun for the more experienced golfer.
Cons: As much fun as this course is the terrain really limits it from ever being a high end course.
Very busy.
Other Thoughts: I played Belmont right before a huge storm ripped through the area so we had extremely heavy wind and tornado sirens to deal with. It was still a really fun course to play and I had a great time. My friend and I were able to knock out the whole course in under an hour as all of the one disc wonders scurried for their cars due to the coming storm and we got to cruise right through the course.
I always try to mention the fun factor of courses and it might be because we had the course all to ourselves or the huge storm rolling in but rarely have I enjoyed a short, deuce or die, non wooded course as much as this. This was a great first stop on our disc golf road trip.