Elon, NC
Beth Schmidt Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: LeeLK Hole #6 (Taken 4/2014)

Under Construction/Repair

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: Fox-17
Pros: some really short holes for practicing your short game. There are a few good hole design ideas, really focuses on your short game.
Cons: Half of the holes run along-side a major road, so a miss-through could have a disk going into traffic (rather easily, especially on #3, and #6. ) on hole #7 briars abound on the right, so if your disk slices, it's good as lost.
Other Thoughts: Road Construction makes half the course unplayable. Best to avoid this course until construction finished.

Course under construction

1    4/26/2014   4/26/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: 4 nice pads, 8 nice baskets. Short enough to be a fun ace run course.
Cons: No pads for 5 holes, 1 basket is in bad shape. The course/park is currently under construction so there's obstacles everywhere. It just doesn't seem like it plays like it was intended to.
Other Thoughts: I would barely call this a playable course unless you just want to randomly pick where to throw from for most of the holes and also be dodging construction debris.

fun, sorta

1    5/18/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/6/2013
Pros: It's a nice course for beginners. And I mean, beginners. Most will grow out of this course vary quickly. But it can definitely be fun. The entire nine holes can be played in about fifteen minutes. A lot of the holes are fairly quirky.

It is a nice looking park, and if you can avoid the street, you can have an enjoyable experience on the way to somewhere else while warming up the putter.
Cons: Strangely, there are nice cement tees for four of the holes. The rest? Well not only is there no tee or sign, there is no earthly way to identify where to tee off from other than by estimating from the course map. And it is a pretty rough estimation.

That's fine though really. It's a short course, and if you play it more than once(why you'd bother to show up and play only nine holes I can't imagine) you can set your own spots for the tees. The big issue here, for a short course, is how many of the holes are parallel to a busy road. Six, the longest hole, is a griplock disaster waiting to happen.

And beyond the major problems, its not a very good layout. The first hole is a long putt. The others have a bit more distance but for the most part, are no more interesting. Most of the holes are about a hundred feet and then a sharp turn.

My Review

5+    12/21/2011   1/2/2012
Review By: BHDragn4207
Pros: This is a very short course. Only 9 baskets and most are within 100 to 200 feet of the tee. This is a great course to practice on and I stop by a few times a month to have some fun. Basket 6 thru 9 are nice cause they're a little longer. I'll probably get my first ace here...who knows, I'm still pretty new to the game.
Cons: Could use a new basket or two.
Needs a couple tee pads installed/replaced once the road construction is done.
Other Thoughts: Good for fun practice for beginner or intermediate players.

I know I get a lot of crap for negative reviews...but

1    9/8/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: Park is beautiful, nice landscaping, fountains, gazebos etc.
It also has nice baskets with the exception of either 7 or 8 which has a car rim on top with some chains hanging from it, but at least they fixed, but our group missed some putts on this one(not neccessarily blaming the basket.
Certainly some ace opportunities--I think I read someone said that #1 is 69 ft--it's short and the basket is signed a bunch of times. A pity my buds were in a hurry to get to cedarock when we played this--I would bet I could hole one If I had thrown the whole bag (about 22 discs) at it.

2 of the holes in the woods are pretty standard and a little longer, so they were ok, then there were a couple short ones where there was no apparent throwing lane and you kind of had to chuck and pray.
This would be a very good course to bring young kids or practice putting
Cons: #1 is a joke, my buddy could not believe we had the hole/pad combo right cause it is the shortest hole by far I have ever seen, I mean I practice 60 ft putts on the practice basket all the time and that is pretty much what you've got here except for the two "goalpost" which narrow the window to 10 ft or so in front of the basket.

Construction on the road has ruined 2-5 or so (which is kind of a big deal when only 9 holes) There are no tee pads for these that we could find, so we made up our own. Even once this is fixed, these holes can't be of any length.
You have to play across and around these little fenced in garden areas and hole #2 backs up within 5 feet or so of this, so pretty easy to put a disc in there and it seems a shame to trample in there to get it.
Other Thoughts: I don't think I would stop to play this course (at least until the road construction is complete and they retool) if I was driving right by it and had free time. Cedarock and Wellspring are within maybe 8 miles and they are great courses. Also if you do decide to go, look sharp on the right side (coming from 85) because the park sign is pretty much impossible to see.
Would not recommend for any intermediate to Pro players unless you just want to fool around.

I do hate to be negative, because I definetly want to encourage municipalities to build courses for us and anything that exposes more people to the sport is a positive, so I guess that's why I rated it as highly as I did.

2-4    5/21/2011   6/3/2011
Review By: ckDiscItUp
Pros: Good course to practice putter. especially on #1. I got a one on that hole with my undominate hand. Good for young players to practice.
Cons: Too short from anyone on skill level intermediate to expert. Not able to use driver. Construction interferes with a few holes. Not very good for practicing on improving your overall game.

Least they are trying!

1    5/13/2011   5/13/2011
Review By: Borrachos
Pros: Quick to play if your in a hurry
Good for mid-range practice
Good for younger kids learning the game
Well maintained
If you're searching for an ace, this is the place
Cons: Road construction prevented me from playing 2-5
Extremely short
Uncreative
Other Thoughts: I was on my way home (eastern nc) from Charlotte and stopped at a restaurant in Elon and remembered there was a DG course in the area. Glad it was short, so I could get back on the road, but I thought the first hole was a joke. Then I saw the mailbox with the scorecards (add that to the Pros) and, yep, the first hole 69ft. I may come back out for an attempt at the world record for most aces in one day haha. I have two young children and if I lived closer I would definitely use this as a starter course for them. This is what the course is so experienced players should bypass this course. Either way there are tee pads and a basket to throw at which was incentive enough for me to check it out.

7-9 were interesting holes. I think if they want all short holes they should put them all in the woods.

1    5/5/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Beth Schmidt is a nine-holer that needs to be reworked or moved to another part of the park. Until then, there are major issues with the first five holes.
- Course is split into 2 parts, separated by park road. First five holes are in the open, playing in, and around the garden area. Last four holes are in the woods, tougher, and longer (on average) than first five.
- Great neighborhood park, and very family friendly with good amenities: large playground, nice garden, rec center, restrooms, walking trail. My favorite aspect of the park, and my round, was the old-timey looking building near #7 & 8.
- Course is aimed at beginners, not advanced players. Seven of 9 holes are less than 200 feet, with three at 101 or shorter. You can easily play the 9 holes in 15 - 20 minutes.
- There's a mailbox on #1 that has tons of pencils & scorecards/maps.
Cons: There's a major problem with the layout, and it has nothing to do with the road construction. From holes # 2 - 5, as stated above, they play in and around the garden area. The basket for #2, is within arms length of the garden's fence and a large shrub. I was feeling weird throwing towards/through parts of the garden for these holes. That may have had to do with the weird looks I was getting throwing a disc, and walking, through the area. Seemed like the mulched area, where #4 & 5 play, would be off limits to people.
- As the note on the course's main page states, the road construction has impacted the first 6 holes. Hopefully, this means holes will be moved.
- Course has a lack of challenge and creativity. You don't (or shouldn't) want to be aggressive on the "garden holes" and hit flowers, shrubs, trees, etc, so that takes a lot of the fun out of things. Only holes with some challenge are #6 - 8.
- On the wooded holes, #6 - 9, people use the DG holes as walking trails. Be careful before throwing.
Other Thoughts: If they moved all nine holes to the far side of the park road, there seems to be enough room back to build a fun 9-hole course. If you can have 9 holes the quality of #6 & 7, this would be a good neighborhood course.
- Between the layout and road construction, this course doesn't offer much. Even if road construction weren't affecting some holes, the course would still be lacking.
- The amount of TLC that was given to the rest of the park clearly wasn't given to the disc golf course. If they can clear out plenty of room in the woods for nice walking trails, you'd hope they could clear out room for some DG holes.
- It's only a couple minutes off I-85, but unless you're a local, or padding your 'courses played' stats, it's not worth playing. It will be worth checking out after the road construction to see if they've improved the course.

meh

1    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: avillion23
Pros: The landscaping in the park is very nice in Spring.
Cons: Poor layout, short holes, no map, hard to find tee pads. Played it once and unless my 7 yr old asks to go back, its not on my to-do list even though it is a half mile from my parents house
Other Thoughts: Take your putter and your kids under 10...they will enjoy it.

C = Average beginnersí course

1    6/13/2007   2/27/2011
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C
(Holes 7-9 close the course out with pretty nice tight holes albeit short. It is really impossible to conceive of any bad drive ending you up with a bogey since the holes are so short, but I like the fact that this course does a good job of introducing real disc golf holes to beginners.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
(Only 2 holes are mildly rewarding, but tightness on a couple short holes makes them fun.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
(Decent variety for such a small and short course.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
(The course is quite nice for a rural town's park. A power line going down most of the course really detracts from the beauty. Seclusion is pretty minimal.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == NA