South Lake Tahoe, CA
Hole #27 Approach

Still a favorite.

5+    10/15/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: trashmonster1985
Pros: very easy navigation. they usually do a good job about keeping up on the signs where the baskets are. great fairways. tons of different shot choices. lefts, rights, open fairways, tight fairways. this is one of those courses that has everything you want. since they change the pin locations regularly the course is always exciting to play. beautiful tahoe scenery, very friendly atmosphere, i love this place. great place for practicing in the beginning with two practice baskets. occasional tourneys. wide skill range of golfers. i've seen everything from pro's to beginners. 27 fun and unique holes. with the skatepark rebuilt there is also snack bar. and a fun little park to skate around in after a round of disc.
Cons: not many, the dust and occasional crowds are about the only things i've ever disliked about the course.
Other Thoughts: Bijou was the first course i played back in '07. at that point it set the standard for courses for me, and sadly no other courses compared for a long while. it is a great course for any level. or seriousness of player. in the spring you can usually do a round then still head over to sierra or another close resort and get a few runs in. beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. so much stuff to do around the course as well. still one of my favorites and always will be. plus playing at 6200 ft elevation is a rarety for most people i think. this used to be my regular course, and whenever i go back down to visit friends i always set some time aside to throw a little at the bijou. if you are near tahoe, do not miss this course!!

A Tahoe adventure

1    8/4/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - What can I say about 27 holes? I'm not used to playing a course with a legit 27, so that is a major feather in Bijou's cap.

- On a related note, you would almost expect that with 27 holes, they would start running together at some point, but I didn't find that to be the case. There was a good amount of variety with the difficulty and obstacles from hole to hole. I really felt a distinct identity with each 9-hole section of the course.

- There are multiple basket placements on each hole. The first 9 had an A and B layout, and the next 18 each had an A, B, and C layout. Sheer math would suggest that the possibilities are endless with the different overall layouts the course could have. With 27 holes and multiple basket locations, I can't imagine that Bijou gets too stale for the regulars who play it often.

- It is a challenging, yet fair, course. The trees and shrubs provide plenty of obstacles, but on most holes you have a shot at getting to the basket if you play smart.

- The signage was excellent, for the most part. With so many basket locations, signage is critical. I actually had the same problems with the basket markers that someone else mentioned before - a lot of them were missing - but I love the overall concept and system they have in place.

- This was my first experience throwing off rubber pads, and although it took some getting used to, I enjoyed it.

- The scenery was gorgeous, especially throwing on hole 12 looking out at the mountainside behind. The park overall is stunning with the pines and mountains in the distance.
Cons: - It can't really be helped, but the dirt really makes gripping your discs an adventure. That's just something you have to accept with this course.

- I definitely agree with the person who said that the holes are hard to find on the back part of the course. One basket - I believe it was on #22 - was not even in one of the three locations listed on the tee marker. I was told from a local that it was placed in an alternate location because of a tournament coming up. Luckily, I had someone there to tell me where it was. I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone like me to find it playing the course the first time alone.
Other Thoughts: Being from the East Coast, this was a new experience for me. The shrubs killed any rolls I hoped to get, and the trees were brutal - especially on hole 26. But, I still had the time of my life. This is definitely a course worth playing if you're in the Tahoe area.

A Tahoe treat

2-4    7/21/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: springy101
Pros: 27 holes! nice rubber teepads, great signage and brooms at most holes, not very busy, great friendly locals, up and down hill holes, and you can't forget Tahoe's beauty.
Cons: Once you finish hole 15 and you start on the "back side," the holes get really hard and also hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I went camping for 5 days and ended up playing this course 3 times.

The Further You Go

1    6/30/2009   7/2/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is a good 27 hole course that plays through a great park and mountain medow area. Tees were consistent and the signs were adequate to get the job done. There are a good variety in distance and challenge level as well. Most of this course was donated by locals and as such there is a good local crowd that really keeps this course as good as it is. All the baskets were in good condition and consistent throughout. Lots of trees everywhere to make you throw accurately. There are other things to do at the park for those family memebers who do not DG. The skate park seemed to be getting good use while I was there. The course itself was near everything but didn't seem to interefere with anything. There was little outside foot traffic that could even get in the way outside of a few walking paths. There was not too much throwing traffic when I was there but enough to know that the course does get used. Several holes had old brooms by them to help you get the dust off of the nice tee pads.
Cons: Because of the location, this is a very dirty park in that you will get dirt on everything, not really a con but it would be a good idea to wash your discs afterwards. There are a fw places when the flow of holes does not make too much sense. There are some hole locations that have been added since the signs were put in and there is little to no information on those. This course is really long for begginers.
Other Thoughts: I played this course as part of a long road trip and remember this course because it started out fairly easy for me as I think I birdied the first two holes and by the end of the 27 holes I remember thinking how things seemed to in general get tougher and tougher. It was a really fun around though and I really did enjoy the setting a whole bunch. Once you enter the park driving, you want to make sure that you drive all the way back left to get to the first tee. There is also a donation box by the first tee.

Great Course!

1    6/30/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: tlandegent
Pros: Good variety of holes, distances, types of environment barriers.
The baskets usually had between 2-3 locations, and the one it was at was usually clearly marked at the tee box.
Trees and terrain add big challenges!
Cons: The marker designating the basket location was sometimes missing, and on a few holes, the basket was not at the location marked at the tee box (maybe some hooligans changed the basket markers!)
Other Thoughts: For being "one of the top 10 courses in the country" (according to a guy playing there), I could have used more clarity in where the next hole was after completing one.
The trees were a great challenge, but proved to be HUGE challenges at times... my disc ricocheted off 2 trees per throw on a few holes... there's that many! (Also, a decent amount of sap gathered on the edge of my driver)
Be prepared to get dusty.

Amazing course

2-4    5/30/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: ntwrk
This review was updated on 6/10/2009
Pros: Amazing 27 hole course
Beautiful setting
Great variety of challenging holes to test your different shot types
Long, mid and short holes
Nice facilities (water on 10, bathrooms by 1-2)
Did I mention this is a great course?
Cons: Nothing really.....
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Tahoe area HIT THIS COURSE!!!!! I was only in Tahoe for two days and we played this course twice in one day. This is by far one of the best courses I've played.

Fun in the Sun

1    11/15/2008   5/2/2009
Review By: The Ghostman
Pros: Lots and lots of options
rollers can do well on this course
good combo of wide open and tight holes
Cons: it's long and for those who have trouble with long courses this might have you sore from throwing 27
Other Thoughts: I found myself consistently behind my pal who would flick a shout 100-150ft and watch it roll another 100+ ft

this was especially a good shot on the slightly downhill holes

kevin wiens

5+    11/15/2008   3/4/2009
Review By: Kevin wiens
Pros: It's a nice course played it alot when I lived there for a year. I did some tree work there we fell a tree on one of the holes. Well we where doing the work there i got hit with a disc. The guy that hit me with the disc invited me out to play that weekend. Thats when I was hooked.
Cons: None really.
Other Thoughts: If your in South Lake play this course.

Bijou

2-4    12/28/2006   12/29/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: 27 holes. Variety of shots required to score well. Beautiful Tahoe course running through the pines.
Cons: Dirt pads, beer police, and red dust. Seasonal.
Other Thoughts: God I love that Tahoe air. Not so sure I love what it does to discs but wow it's good for the soul. This is a fun course that demands lots of different shots.

This course has almost spoiled me

5+    12/1/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: pineappaloupe
Pros: Free, laid back (beware there were rent a cops trying to enforce a no dog and no beer rule this summer), good for beginners but also challenging for pros, course changes every week, locals are great, Russ is great, losing a disc is very rare but the trees can be punishing, doesn't get old after playing 60+ times a year for 4 years... new tee pads!
The course is pretty balanced for left and right handed throwers.
Cons: As the trees and shurbs have grown in some hole placement seem masochistic (but Russ has been working to clear vegetation this year).
Can't be played year round because of snow (just go ski/board instead)
Police station near hole 7 (never been a problem but cops are cops)
Other Thoughts: The best part about this course is that you can try new throws and play aggressive without worrying about losing discs. The course can be very challenging especially when you consider that playing at 6300ft changes how discs fly (throw lower weights).
I love this course.

RE: The other review's comments on local tree huggers saying no to concrete tee pads:
This is kind of true, concrete pads could be built but it isn't worth the effort to get permits.
This problem is solved with rubber tee mats, which have proven to be awesome this year!
Thanks Russ and all of you who donate money to the course!