Black River Falls, WI
Black River Falls Share
Uploaded By: sunshay Hole #2 (Taken 6/2007)

Yikes...

1    8/2/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: There were a few interesting lines through the small wooded area, with some decent uphill an downhill shots.
Cons: These were the worst baskets I've ever seen. They were mounted about a foot too high, and the combination of single chains and the absolute worst cages you'll ever find make these the most horrendously catching goals you'll ever see.

The teepads are ridiculous. I couldn't even do a standstill on these raised 3'x3' "teepads". We teed off next to them, and half of those areas had roots popping out. Just not good.
Other Thoughts: I guess if you only have a half hour and HAVE to play, this is serviceable. You'd be just as good just going object poles and playing it that way. I've never seen a soft 3 foot putt spit out the back side of chains before. Potential here, but in a town of just over 1000 people, I'd doubt that it will ever be upgraded.

Beginner

1    7/20/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a small little city park that has a section of forest and some sloping hills. The only possible interference would be from park-goers using the open section for a picnic or similar. Some playground stuff is present, but it looks pretty much abandoned.
- Best holes of the course are located in the woods; #5 is an tight uphill flex shot, #6 is a hyzer with a gap halfway, #7 is an uphill RHBH anny or flick shot, and #8 is a steep downhill hyzer. #3 is a tricky slight uphill shot with a rolling fairway, and #9 is a low ceiling shot that ends back in the woods. Some of these lines are pretty tight and need good accuracy.
- Elevation changes are used well here, both in the uphill and downhill shots and off some fairways. Going long past #1 can lead to a nasty voyage down a rough slope.
Cons: - Baskets are in very bad shape, teepads are ridiculously small and get in the way of any run-up, and the signage is long destroyed. Navigation can be a pain with numerous fairways intertwined in the woods, and multiple baskets available to choose from in some places. Yikes.
- Holes are extremely short, including a very, very short 120' hyzer. The course is best suited to a superclass type of golf, both due to the hole lengths and the safety concerns.
Other Thoughts: - Well, it's a course. Good for beginners, as long as they don't kill each other with modern driver technology.

home town course

5+    9/6/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: tattoo_matthew
Pros: it is close to where i live and give you a lot of diffrent types of throws.. #1 and #9 are open
every thing is wooded .. #3 is a long throw and #5 is a up hill .. #7 and # 8 are the best holes there .one up hill and if you throw right a ace could happen and #8 is a down hill and i have hit it 4 times ( no ace yet )
Cons: it has small tee boxes so every one steps off to the side ... bugs up the A** ... and it does have a few cross holes and it is small
Other Thoughts: it is a good place to just get out and play .. and there are people that show up and all ways willing to play a few rounds

Tons of potential with a little work could be good!

1    12/18/2009   12/23/2009
Pros: 1) Has one short ace run hole (#4) which is adds to peoples enjoyment of the course.

2) Serious potential on this property. This is a pro for the property but cannot affect the course rating. The wooded part of this course is simply some excellent property, I just think the holes need some tweaking slightly to avoid crossing fairways and such. It might be a better 6 hole course than a 9 hole course, but there is a stigma that is associated with less than 9 holes I guess.

3) Excellent variety in foliage and plant material. First you start out in the open with a couple trees in your way. Then you throw #2 down into the woods. Half of the hole is wooded the first half being open. #3-8 are all completely wooded, and #9 is open all the way to the last 50' of the hole where the basket is tucked inside of the woodline (but it isn't as dense as the rest of the holes).

4) Variety in elevation here is key to making this course fun and challenging. #1 is he only totally flat hole, #2, 6 and 9 drop down just slightly around the baskets. #3 goes slightly uphill with a fallaway on one side of the fairway, #4 is just a short level ace run and 5, 7, and 8 go up or down the large hill. All in all this adds to the enjoyment because the shots required are very different, in fact I would say not a single hole on this course feels like any other hole. Monotony would kill the rating of this course.

5) Course uses a small piece of property in a small town fairly well, and while I do feel the layout could use some tweaking it certainly crammed a lot of disc golf into a small property.
Cons: 1) Short and narrow (3x3) framed tees. Someone told me these were asphalt, but I couldnt tell under the snow. The shortness is a negative because there is no chance of a runup, YOU MUST STAND STILL AND THROW. This course doesnt need a lot of long powerful drives, but forcing you to stand still really alters the approach and can throw off anyones game when they are so used to the runup.

2) On the 2nd hole the garbage is sortof in the fairway 75' off the tee. I doubt many people will hit it because it is off to the side of the fairway, but it can draw your attention to it anyways.

3) Single chain baskets catch horribly. Bounceouts and spit throughs are plentiful. Baskets are also very tall in general. The 4th basket has also seen some damage either from falling branches, or vandalism.

4) Layout is a little confusing in that there are no tee signs and you can see a lot of baskets and square tees. If the tees wee rectangluar it would be easier to see what direction the tee goes. There also is a switchback on #3 where you have to walk back up the fairway of #2 to get to the third tee. There are also crossing fairway #2 crossed #9, #6 crosses 7 and 8, and #3 also crosses #8. This wouldnt normally be a problem as I doubht this course sees a lot of traffic but on a day with multiple groups in the park could lead to some issues. The first basket is located dangerously close to the playground equipment where an errant throw could take out some little kid, and that is the last thing we want.

5) The wooded holes are fairly clean on the ground, but it is a lot of unhealthy and scrub trees and shrubs. This can lead to a poor looking property and a lot of branches and limbs that will fall out of the trees.

6) Tees are not shovelled in winter, I played about 10 days after we had gotten 10 inches of snow in this area, so there arent any diehards out there. Not a big deal, but worth a mention.

7) Apparently it is wet and buggy in summer, something I did not have to deal with in winter, so this is something that I can see would detract from the course at a different time of year. Plus it is near a water treatment facility!
Other Thoughts: All in all this course didnt have my expectations to high. And although the amenities arent that nice, I could still have a lot of fun on this course. There are some truly challenging holes and a lot of different types of shots on this course. The elevation and the tight fairways contibute to this. Overall the course may be lower than a 1.5, but I had enough fun playing it I would be back. I also do feel like the .5 disc rating that came before me has it wrong. I know it is opinion, but I just feel like there is more fun to be had here than they apparently had. Don't expect anything great, but in the end I think the term passable is a better representation than poor! I had a lot of fun despite the layout and teepad issues, plus I had only one bad putt that I felt should have stayed in.

Warning: This review was written after I played the course in the snow. I was the first person to play it since the 10" snowfall 10 days earlier. Keep in mind I cannot comment on the conditioning of the grounds or the turf. The wooded area if covered in leaves or mulch is probably in fine condition, although I could see some possible issues from the erosion and compaction around some of the baskets on the hills. I also could imagine this being a lot worse when it is wet from rain. If anything I have assumed here is incorrect please send me a message and I can correct it. These thoughts are only assumptions based upon what I was able to see on this course.

very old school

2-4    7/27/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: One of the oldest courses in the state. VERY old time charm it's only asset. That, and the fact that the annual Jerry Garcia Gathering (enter this and see who's there this year), is located nearby.
Cons: Not only are baskets single chained with a large diameter center pole; which kicks out good putts; but they are all high in relation to ground. Tee pads ARE tiny. Bring bug spray; most holes in fairly wet woodsy area.
Other Thoughts: Try and see how low you can score; I DARE ya. You'll end up playing this course three times to attempt to keep enough in the baskets to write one good score in your record book.

Save the trip

1    6/14/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: Too EZ
Pros: It is a disc golf course.
Cons: I was traveling to Milwaukee and stopped at this course because of its close proximity to the highway. 9 holes with very poor baskets, no markings and the smallest tea boxes I have ever seen. The first 2 holes are open, after that you go into a mosqito infested muddy dark and over grown 7 holes i have ever played. No hole required me to throw anything but my putter and mid range discs.
Other Thoughts: If you can spare an extra 40 minutes drive to Wakanda Park it is well worth the drive.