Tulsa, OK
Blackhawk Share

Golf Baby

2-4    10/2/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Now this is some fun golf. This is a champion level course and you will know it right off the bat. This will test every part of your game and then some. Almost every hole out here makes you throw multiple shots just to get a chance a scoring well. You will have a chance to work on your short game as well as letting it go and throwing for broke, and sometimes both on the same hole. You play through the woods so there is TONS of shade for the most part. If your off of the fairways there are alot of times to where you will just have to toss back in the fairway or take your chances and hope you get lucky escaping. The water holes are great as well, as soon as you walk up, you start thinking, "Damn I better throw a good shot or...." Great tee pads and tee signs as well. The navigation wasnt to bad for first timers. 2 sets of pads is a nice change of pace as well. This will make you a better golfer in a hurry if you can keep your mind right and not give up.
Cons: The rough is rough and sometimes there will be lost discs in it due to the grass being just too tall. The water is nasty and if you throw in there its a goner, unless you have more courage then I do and you want to go fishing. Not for the faint of heart and not for rookies IMO due to the toughness of the course.
Other Thoughts: Makes for a fun day with the 2 courses sitting right next to each other. Not too many "other" people around so you dont have to worry about hitting anyone or anything like that. One of my favorites for sure and I can almost guarantee you will love it.

Most challenging course in town

5+    6/25/2009   9/22/2009
Review By: zacphillips
Pros: Variety of different types of shots.
Lots of tight shots between trees and big over water throws.
Great place to improve your game.
Great place to play on a windy day due to the tree cover.
Cons: Almost impossible to play in the summer due to the overgrown foliage, poison ivy, and flys. Have lost a number of discs here.
Other Thoughts: Probably my favorite course to play in the winter and least favorite in the summer. As soon as the plants die off, me and my friends play this course at least once a week.

Tough! Tough! Tough!

1    9/13/2009   9/13/2009
Review By: BCOChris
Pros: - Nice Tee Signs.
- Nice tee pads with alternate pads on each hole.
- Requires every shot imaginable.
Cons: - Almost too many trees. I know a lot of people like them, but it seems to me that in order to have a good round, you need more luck than you do skill, and I don't think that is good for the game.
Other Thoughts: - Had a really good time playing. It was very, very tough. It would definitely cause one to need to practice a variety of shots in order to have a good round here.

Not for rookies

1    6/24/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: homeskule87
This review was updated on 6/20/2013
Pros: Not crowded.
Technical shots.
Pro and Am tees.
Concrete pads for both tees.
Risk reward shots galore.
3 water hazard holes.
Pro caliber.
Cons: Drains horribly, so it's muddy for a while after a rain.
Ticks, mosquitos and horse flies.
Not beginner friendly at all.
3 water hazard holes.
Poison ivy, oak and sumac.
Other Thoughts: Not usually crowded do to the difficulty.
Between April and October Mohawk park charges a two dollar parking fee. Pay attention to your drives or you can easily lose a disc.

Blackhawk

5+    6/9/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: JWood311
Pros: This is a tight, challenging course. The tee boxes are really good. Not too many blind shots. Good variation of length and hyzer - anhyzer transitions
Cons: Gets overgrown with thick brush and tall grass when it goes unkept. Plenty of opportunities to get wet.
Other Thoughts: Got a retriever? Great place to fish!

Challenging

1    5/26/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: RocCityDiscer
Pros: Well maintained and well laid out course. You need to be able to throw all types of shots here. Tight gaps,short and long, hyzer, turn-over, and the baskets are all well protected so putting around obstructions is a must. If you enjoy wooded courses you will like this one. There are a few holes that enter into large clearings in the woods but trees are still a factor.

Two sets of tees level the playing field for those with not as big an arm.
Cons: A high possibility of losing discs. Very tall grass off the main path in the woods when I played cost me some time searching for discs. Some areas can be very wet and marshy. holes 8,9, and 10 all play around a very large, deep and murky pond so if you go in it is a goner.
Other Thoughts: Only play here if you want to be challenged. This is a championship level course. Very tight fairways, thick and tall underbrush off the beaten path and some water in play.

In the same park is the RedHawk Course. I did not have the chance to play it, but a local told me that it is more open and a bit longer.

Solid

1    3/17/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Blackhawk is an honest tournament ready course that caters to tournament level players and provides multiple challenge varieties. The round that I played went by way too fast. It was totally enjoyable. The character at Blackhawk is long, but reachable, wooded fairways, some narrow tree-lined, others creek-lined, guarded but doable basket locations, wet with a head scratching lake in the middle. All adding up to a very fun experience, where I imagine a local can play here many times over without getting bored.

The course has good concrete tee-pads. Some doglegging blind shots that you may wish to take a short scouting mission for to truly gauge where the basket is. The trees were mostly protective of the wind. Blackhawk is a hard but not ridiculous course, I would be very proud of a good score from here. It is not as busy as I had imagined considering how famous this course is.

Redhawk's presence ensures that a player can drive out to the park to play Blackhawk and still have another option if Blackhawk is overcrowded. I should point out that there was no sign of overcrowding when I played not counting a massive function taking place at the nearby zoo.
Park facilities are close and yet the Blackhawk course is tucked away in a natural setting, for this, Blackhawk has the best of both worlds.
Cons: I heard a few horrid tick stories but I did not experience it myself. Not for water phobic players, be sure to practice your floaters before you come. I understand that the grass can get really high in the summer, but when I played in March the grass conditions were perfect.
Other Thoughts: I'm unsure of how the maps and directions stack up since I had a great tour guide which always heightens the experience of a new course up a notch. I have a hunch that due to the potential growth of the rough and the added challenge from when the trees fill in, that March is nearly the perfect time of year to play Blackhawk and that conditions get tougher in the summer. I flew to Oklahoma to play disc golf and this course was on my short list, in the end I was not disappointed. I had high expectations for this course going in and it met them

I would suggest a round at Blackhawk for more experienced players and be confident that a beginner who doesn't mind perhaps losing a disc in the water will still have an enjoyable time.

This is a solid course, probably one of Oklahoma's best.

If you love wooded courses...

1    5/13/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: I really love a course with a bunch of technical wooded holes, and this course really delivers! And the solitude is great, only saw a few non-DGers on the course in the 2 hours during my round.

All concrete tee pads, plenty large and in great shape. Innova baskets, mostly in very good condition (one looked like it had been broken and repaired a couple times). Tee signs are great, and the course maps linked on here help even more, though I saw a couple of discrepancies between the two on a couple of holes. Facilities available, though Spartan through most of the course.

After the first couple holes, most after that are wooded and tight, with the exception of a few semi-open water holes in the middle.

My memorable holes:
1 - Start out right with a nice tunnel shot, not too short not too long.
5 - Long straight out shot with a dogleg left and 150 more feet. Made for a nice drive, upshot, and putt hole(even though I 5'd it)..
7 - Throw out from a stand of trees to an open pin. You'd think it was easy, but think again.
8 - Big hyzer over the lake, or you can play through the trees. Not too long to go over the water, but make sure you don't wuss out on the throw or it's bye bye disc.
9 - have to lay up between the two ponds on a narrow fairway (unless you can clear the water, nearly 400 feet). I got lucky, went for it and landed right in the middle
12 - Long hole with a nice "S" to the fairway, stay left on the drive or you'll end up behind a nice big stand of trees, which I had to throw a thumber over just to have an upshot.
16 - Holy ^#*$, over 700 feet, and accuracy is key. I can't believe how much this hole kicked my butt. But it is also why I love courses like this, a supreme challenge.

Cons: I know I have to consider the amount of rain that Tulsa had gotten over the several weeks before I played but MAN. The course was a swamp! I would try to play when the weather is more dry so you don't have to skirt 9-10 fairways because they have 4" of standing water and much. My experience would have been completely awesome had I not had to walk around in wet shoes because the course was so soggy.

Possibly related to the excess moisture on the course, but the grass was insanely high. Don't think the disc will do anything but stop where it lands

I didn't let any of these factor into my rating, since this course really rocks minus the minor seasonal issues listed above
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 4 is based on the fact that the course is very fun, and very well laid out. It could rate higher if there were any elevation changes…at all….Overall I was pretty happy with the course even considering the relatively miserable conditions I was playing in

I feel this course is a MUST PLAY if you are in the Tulsa area, as it is only 10 minutes tops from the airport.

Also, as a hint, the beginning of the black course is right next to the nature center building, just across the access road from the Tulsa Zoo. I found it a little difficult to find the first tee when I was there, but after that the course flowed very easily with the marked tines on the basket bottoms pointing out the next holes, and the maps are great help.

5+    11/28/2006   11/28/2008
Review By: Pitch
Pros: Tough course.Heavily wooded with a few open shots.Concrete T Pads.Signs,Toughest Tulsa has to offer.A PURE Disc Golf course.Nobody out there but the golfers.
Cons: Can't get there enough.Needs alternates. "T Pads" you can't run up on without stepping up.Distracting,Could be an ankle twister.A 5 with a few mods.
Other Thoughts: A definate MUST PLAY if you ever get the chance.Pack it in because your gonna be in there a while.TDSA rocks.

tough, fair, long, jungle

1    9/7/2008   9/7/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Well marked with all signs intact, showing length, fairway, and next tee. Baskets have a bottom rung painted to point to next tee (why doesn't everyone copy that?). Well maintained, even though this winter an ice storm destroyed many large trees, they've cut 'em up and cleared 'em out, even mowing into the woods holes. Water hazard pond shots. Long, technical holes through tightly packed trees mixed with more open tunnel fairways lined with thick woods and high grass.
Cons: Some poison ivy in play..just enough to make sure you touch it, not enough to surround your disc or kill ya. The rough can get rough, but a pro is expected to not go more than a few feet off the fairway. Water hazards are murky and won't give up a disc.
Other Thoughts: With 2 courses in this park, both clean and well marked and very different, it's a can't miss destination. Easy to miss however since the directions were so poorly written but I fixed that.