Missoula, MT
Uploaded By: bobd Hole #11

Beautiful Mountain Course

1    4/19/2014   4/19/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is a very good mountain course that offers a great mix of elevation, tall pines, and open areas.

Each hole offers a long tee (blue) and a shorter tee (white) to a single basket position. I played the blue tees and all teepads are rubber mats that were large and level. Some of the tee signs had been vandalized and were missing, but most were there and offered a useful diagram of the hole.

Great variety of hole lengths from 225' ouot to 630'. The shorter holes tend to bring more trees into play, while the longer holes offer some open areas to bomb a drive.

Several holes play either steeply downhill or steeply uphill, but there are some good level holes as well.

The vegetation (in mid-April) was short grass and tall pines. Very little underbrush or thick stuff, so finding discs was easy. There are a few blind downhill drives so you want to have a pretty good idea of where you land to find your disc easily.

Course flow was very easy to follow. I had a map but didn't really need it.
Cons: The elevation changes on the course will work you. Just getting from the lower parking area up to the first tee will get you winded, let alone walking the rest of the course.

While there are plenty of trees, there are no really tight lines to hit on this course. Could be either a Pro or a Con depending on what you like.

I started pretty early on a nice Saturday morning and the course was already a little busy. I was playing by myself and three groups let me play through, which I appreciated. By the time I left there were dozens more folks on the course so I can see where crowding is an issue.

It is a shame to see the vandalism of the tee signs and baskets. It is a nice course and there is just no excuse for this.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area I would play the heck out of this course. 18 solid holes, beautiful area, and a work-out all in one.

A great way to learn DC

5+    8/14/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: Montanaman
Pros: I've played Blue Mountain off and on for over 10 years. Being my home course and the first course I ever played DC (folf) on, there is a bit of nostalgia. However, after playing a number of courses on the East Coast, I've realized the greatness of this course in the Treasure State.

From hole one played on the blue tee's you quickly find that DC in Missoula is not just technical but also a workout. There is significant elevation change, lots of trees and now with most if not all the hole having rubber tee pads much more professional feel.

Multiple places for parking both at the bottom of hole 1 and up top near hole 10 or 14 give the opportunity to avoid the crowd as the course can get busy. Decent signage.

Generally, holes 13-3 offer more technical shots and more wood to work around. The front 4-12 on a whole provides for great bomb shots and more elevation changes. Personal favorite is whole 10 for the elevation change and the shot across the road.
Cons: Signage continues to get vandalized. The course is getting loved to death. Can be very busy at peak times.

Frankly, the grass and health of the vegetation on the course needs a break. How best to do that is something I hope the DC community and the Forest Service can figure out.

Multiple pin locations would take this course to a five.

Misfires lead to lost discs on this course.

Elevation and great power course

2-4    9/23/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: protravler
Pros: This course has a great blend of power shots mixed with just enough technical positions to keep it interesting, and to keep you thinking. It has been well worn in over many years and that means foliage and underbrush is at a minimum in the areas normally trafficked, despite being somewhat thick elsewhere. A nice mix of par-4's on tap too, although they all make for much better birdie opportunities than the par 3's for the longer players. Elevation is fun, and you're looking at nearly 150 vertical feet on some holes! Ponderosa forest is naturally one of the very best disc golf environments, because the structure of the trees yields the perfect risk/reward ratio. Very easy for anyone new to the course to find their way around this great layout.
Cons: Signage has been damaged, including useful info like the hole #, par # and distance.
Other Thoughts: Noticed a number of comments referring to the amount of trees and underbrush here, but for a player accustomed to many western forest courses this is still going to feel pretty wide open. There's maybe a few tees I might send a spotter out from, but it's not absolutely necessary. The course felt pretty open to me, with just the right amount of technical challenge.

Also, never seen so many people playing in cowboy hats. Love it! ;-)

A tough, tough first outing

1    8/19/2009   7/19/2013
Review By: Alan01
Pros: This is an excellent course, but it's a toughy! Beautiful scenery - mountain course
Some very LONG downhill holes.
Favors the powerful and accurate player, all others feel dread.
Cons: Blind tees make it easier to lose discs.
Lots of undergrowth make it easy to lose discs.
Lots of players bring large dogs with them, sometimes more than one...this can make some people feel quite uncomfortable, but taking a dog along is a Montana "thing" so just be ready for it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I ever played, I didn't really know the game at the time, and I had an extremely frustrating experience. I look forward to playing it again. With the experience that I now have, I know this is a fantastic course, but I'd hesitate to add it to my favorites list...at least not yet.

Very Nice Course

5+    6/6/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: Dadio
This review was updated on 5/22/2014
Pros: This is the only full course in Missoula that is open year around. It has quite a few elevation changes and beautiful views of the Missoula Valley. Signs, when there, were good and trails fairly easy to follow. I liked that included with the usual long downhill holes was one longer, steep uphill hole.

Good news as of spring 2014! All tees are pads or pavers and most holes have both Pro and Am tees. Course continues to improve, thanks to all locals helping with that effort!
Cons: Definately a RHBH bias course with some very bushy roughs and holes on steeper hillsides where long roll away are not uncommon. Use bright discs and expect to spend some time looking.
There are some tighter holes with trees but for most part is fairly open.
Many holes still lack maps,often due to vandalism. Fortunately most if not all have par and distance marked at tee so fairly easy to follow.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course alot and enjoyed playing with the locals that showed me around. Improvements bring it up to a solid 4 for me. I make it to Missoula once a year and I have really grown to like this challenging mountain course. I will be playing more in future and will gladly revisit rating as improvements continue. A very nice mountain course I would recommend playing if in area.
Directions on site are accurate but it is deceptively far south of I90 and first right off highway 93 comes up suddenly.

Another Beauitful Montana Course

1    10/10/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is another hilly, beautiful Montana course that is challenging to play and walk through. When you drive in to the parking lot, walk across the street and climb up the hill to the flat spot for hole one. This was the only confusing part of the course for me was finding the first hole. After you find the first hole navigation is fairly simple if you have played a course or two before. There is no signage but common sense trails are usually where the next tee pad is.

The strength of this course is the variation of terrain, obstacles, hole distances, etc. There are some really challenging par three holes out here for my skill level where I have to make two excellent throws to get a birdie and two below average throws might lead to a bogey. Players with higher skill levels may find this course not as challenging and fun as the every day intermediate players.

There are lots of elevation changes going both up and down and there are two really fun downhill throws in holes four and ten I believe. Hole four is a 550+ foot throw down a large hill throwing over many large trees to a basket tucked under the trees just behind a small valley. Hole ten is wide open but another 550+ drive that is to a basket behind and to the right of the only tree on the fairway; not an excellent hole but one that is fun and downhill where you can really rip a drive hard.

I really enjoyed the back nine of this course more than the front. I feel like the course got better and better the more holes that I played but the back nine was where more of the tighter lines were and was more about challenge than the front which was where the fun, more open holes were placed.

This is another beautiful Montana course where you are playing across rolling hills with views of mountains above you and a town or two below you. You really can't beat the scenery and fun holes at this course very often.
Cons: So some of the hole distances were a little off to me. The par four holes just weren't even close to being long enough to be true par four holes and hole number four should not be listed as a par four even from the blue tee. Hole sixteen would be an AMAZING par four hole if the basket was moved 100 or 150 feet further back and there is plenty of room for it. As is this hole is a very challenging par three hole for intermediate or advanced players with it being a tight tunnel with a dog leg throw down the little canyon.

The white tees (shorter tees) I think would be fine if some of the blue tees and/or the baskets were moved back to add some length and challenge but as it is the shorter tee pads are just too similar and don't add much or make things much easier for new players which I believe is why they are there.

There is good variety in hole shape here but it is still slanted. I think they tried to make 'lefty' holes but instead made RHBH turn over holes instead. I think there was only one hole (hole eight?) here where I felt like my FH was going to have to come out over a RHBH turnover throw. Although there are a couple of holes with multiple routes, the ones for LHBH players are much harder and less viable.
Other Thoughts: The directions getting to the course are a bit off I believe. I was using my GPS so I wasn't really paying attention to them but after reading them again I believe there was a street or two they left off. I know I had to drive down a freeway/highway because I was going 60mph before I turned onto some street and then was winding through some back country road to the parking lot. I can't remember exactly which route I took so I can't really update the directions on here, sorry about that.

Remember to bring some water, snacks and good shoes. I'm not sure if there are problems with bears out here or not. There were a couple of people around and I didn't see any bears but you may want to bring bear spray out here just in case.

Great Course

5+    10/20/2010   3/27/2011
Review By: JamesXC
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. There is left, right, over, under, narrow alleys, wide open bombs, great elevation change, and even scenic views.

Blue Mountain presents the player with challenges that are somewhat unique. The player has to adapt for every hole, which makes the course far more enjoyable. The course is easy to follow, and flows very well. There are only a couple of situations where one hole will ask for a certain type of shot and then you see a similar situation on the next teepad.

#10 is one of my favorite holes in the state, throwing off of a cliff 400'+ with very little to get in the way. You just get to let the disc air out and fly forever. Whenever I play 10, it is hard to resist throwing most of the bag at this hole because it is just so much fun.

16 (aka Mirkwood) is one of the hardest holes I have ever had to play. It is a downhill shot 400'
through the bottom of a gully with thick forest on both sides of a 15' wide old ATV track that acts a s a fairway. 3 is a great score here from either tee, though I have seen 2's from the short tees and exactly 1 from the long tee.
Cons: The course is set a ways outside of town, but that has not discouraged the locals from coming out in droves. This often isn't a problem, but they tend to congregate in very large flights of 6-8+ which can make for very slow play on sunny days. There are several choke points on the course (1, 10, 13) that can get extremely backed up on busy days or tournaments.

There are very few signs, but that isn't really a problem since the course is pretty easy to follow.

Parking can also be a bit of a nightmare on busy days. There are 3 lots, but none of them are huge, and the park service will ticket you if you park anywhere but in the lots.
Other Thoughts: This is a generally phenomenal course with gorgeous scenery, though it is starting to show a bit of wear from all of the disc golf traffic. Interesting holes which require a bit of a tweak to how you think about your shots.

Most of my Cons have very little to do with the course itself because it is among my favorites. If you can get out there on a nice day when there aren't too many people it is a great day.

Wild Montana Skies!!!

1    9/10/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: Daffron24
Pros: A majestic mountain course located in beautiful Missoula. Blue Mountain offers for a very fun disc golfing experience. This course offers a fun design in a variety of terrains throughout. Shooting on the side of a mountainside, cliff shots, and forest trees gives a great taste of Montana. A good mix of technical and long holes which require a number of different shot types along with accuracy and distance. Blue Mountain also offers a variety of hole distances which require a different shot selections throughout. The elevation changes on this course offer the most challenge with required shots shooting down and up in elevation. The overall challenge of this course was a 4.5/5 mostly due to the elevation challenges. The signature hole on this course is 10 where you are on top of a hill and you can just let it loose and watch it fly with a view of the beautiful Montana mountains as a backdrop.
Tee pads are dirt which make for a more natural feel along with bright newer baskets which are easy to see. The tee pads weren't anything special but they get the job done navigating you around the course. There is a camping in Missoula as well as a number of hotels located in the city. Restrooms are located in the parking lot across from the course. Make sure to bring water and good walking shoes because this is a strenuous course that will take a toll on you if you aren't ready for it.
Cons: The physicality of the course may be a con to some, but like Diamond X I like the challenging experience. The dirt tees could get a facelift to at least rubber tees for traction on some of the air it out throws. The course is very natural so the grass can get high which can be a pain to find a disc.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the most scenic and fun courses I have ever played. If you are passing through Missoula it is a must play. The overall beauty alone make for a fun experience. Adding the fun and challenge of the course makes for a totally fun experience. If you are in the area I suggest to stop (21+) by Big Sky Brewing for beer samples (one of my favorite beer Moose Drool) and one of a kind custom Big Sky discs. After a great round of disc golf, a few delicious beers, and watching a beautiful Montana sunset I must say this was truly a great experience.

Great Mountain Course

1    3/1/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 7/27/2010
Pros: A spectacular and serene setting for a course located in the foothills outside of Missoula. Be prepared for a hike as much of the course winds up and down steep terrain and through many large trees. The fairways vary widely. Some have heavy trees on the edge with little in your way Others are heavily treed to force a shaped shot. And there are signature holes such as 4 & 10 that are bombs from the top of hills that are scenic and fun. The course is very challenging and will demand both strength and accuracy.
Cons: It's Montana, so you can't play year-round due to snow- well maybe some wacky people do!
It's steep here! Hiking may wear you out here, especially if you're out of shape, or having a bad round.

Teepads are dirt (a clay type), so wet dirt means very slick mud. I know that snow would still make for icy tees with concrete, but the black rubber tees would perhaps help snow melt faster since they are black.
Other Thoughts: The course was quite crowded on an early March day (even though holes 1-2 & 13-18 were still really icy, making it tough to get decent traction). Translation- Locals are hard core and really into this course - they are also super friendly. That's MT hospitality for ya! Oh, bring your camera- it's really pretty.

A Nice Montana Treasure

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: DiSCRoCKeR
This review was updated on 7/6/2009
Pros: This course is beautiful and very well planned out! It will test quite a few aspects to your game. The course is quite a workout too so bring lots of water. I played by myself and I ran out of water by hole 13. The downhill throws on #4 and #10 are amazing as you watch your disc soar for seconds. And the alley shots through the woods are really rewarding if you get the toss that you are looking for. A definite must-play course if you are passing through the Missoula area.
Cons: Dirt tees. Some signs are missing that show where to throw to. The climb to the first tee can get you winded before you even start.
Other Thoughts: Have a course map if it's you're first time. Rest every few holes because you'll need it! You may need a spotter on the downhill throws depending on skill level, other than that you shouldn't lose any discs. Be prepared to spend several hours here, it took me around 3 hours.