Missoula, MT
Blue Mountain Share

< Prev 1 2 3
Good course, but needs upkeep

1    8/2/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: chadair
Pros: Some memorable holes with enough elevation change to challenge experienced golfers, a few holes require accurate drives and most require shaped approach shots. Two tee pads make it more fun for beginners and guests. Not that crowded by disc golf standards.
Cons: Trail erosion and social trails abound, most of the distance markers and maps have been vandalized, and needs more guidance for first-time players
Other Thoughts: This course has a lot of potential to be a marquee course of the mountain west. But it needs a lot of upkeep, better signs, and general TLC. It seems like it is being used to death, and another example of how this sport is going to need some course stewardship and/or pay to play, otherwise our best courses are just going to get junky.

Excellent

5+    4/22/2014   4/30/2014
Review By: waltny
Pros: Great mix of uphill, downhill, technical and easy shots on both blue and white tees.

Beautiful backdrops on most holes.

Can be a very strenuous course if you are playing quickly or generally out of shape.

Mid day during the week is a great time to play.
Cons: The wind can be your greatest obstacle some days and you don't even know it. The tee box is shrouded by the wind but as soon as you release the disc and pass the wind break you can see your disc get flipped.

A lot of folks in large groups taking their time on this course, lagging to smoke, drink or gab in general. Most of the trash on this course is a by product of said actives.

Dogs are all over this course with their waste quite evident.

This course will chew up baseline plastic.

Holes 1, 3 and 13 can get quite backed up. A lot of folks park up top and jump in on 3 and 13.
Other Thoughts: I played this course at least 25+ times while i was in town on business. If I was still there I would try to play everyday. I had some good days with some bad ones, each teaching a lot about the game.

Beautiful Mountain Course

1    4/19/2014   4/19/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is a very good mountain course that offers a great mix of elevation, tall pines, and open areas.

Each hole offers a long tee (blue) and a shorter tee (white) to a single basket position. I played the blue tees and all teepads are rubber mats that were large and level. Some of the tee signs had been vandalized and were missing, but most were there and offered a useful diagram of the hole.

Great variety of hole lengths from 225' ouot to 630'. The shorter holes tend to bring more trees into play, while the longer holes offer some open areas to bomb a drive.

Several holes play either steeply downhill or steeply uphill, but there are some good level holes as well.

The vegetation (in mid-April) was short grass and tall pines. Very little underbrush or thick stuff, so finding discs was easy. There are a few blind downhill drives so you want to have a pretty good idea of where you land to find your disc easily.

Course flow was very easy to follow. I had a map but didn't really need it.
Cons: The elevation changes on the course will work you. Just getting from the lower parking area up to the first tee will get you winded, let alone walking the rest of the course.

While there are plenty of trees, there are no really tight lines to hit on this course. Could be either a Pro or a Con depending on what you like.

I started pretty early on a nice Saturday morning and the course was already a little busy. I was playing by myself and three groups let me play through, which I appreciated. By the time I left there were dozens more folks on the course so I can see where crowding is an issue.

It is a shame to see the vandalism of the tee signs and baskets. It is a nice course and there is just no excuse for this.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area I would play the heck out of this course. 18 solid holes, beautiful area, and a work-out all in one.

A great way to learn DC

5+    8/14/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: Montanaman
Pros: I've played Blue Mountain off and on for over 10 years. Being my home course and the first course I ever played DC (folf) on, there is a bit of nostalgia. However, after playing a number of courses on the East Coast, I've realized the greatness of this course in the Treasure State.

From hole one played on the blue tee's you quickly find that DC in Missoula is not just technical but also a workout. There is significant elevation change, lots of trees and now with most if not all the hole having rubber tee pads much more professional feel.

Multiple places for parking both at the bottom of hole 1 and up top near hole 10 or 14 give the opportunity to avoid the crowd as the course can get busy. Decent signage.

Generally, holes 13-3 offer more technical shots and more wood to work around. The front 4-12 on a whole provides for great bomb shots and more elevation changes. Personal favorite is whole 10 for the elevation change and the shot across the road.
Cons: Signage continues to get vandalized. The course is getting loved to death. Can be very busy at peak times.

Frankly, the grass and health of the vegetation on the course needs a break. How best to do that is something I hope the DC community and the Forest Service can figure out.

Multiple pin locations would take this course to a five.

Misfires lead to lost discs on this course.

Elevation and great power course

2-4    9/23/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: protravler
Pros: This course has a great blend of power shots mixed with just enough technical positions to keep it interesting, and to keep you thinking. It has been well worn in over many years and that means foliage and underbrush is at a minimum in the areas normally trafficked, despite being somewhat thick elsewhere. A nice mix of par-4's on tap too, although they all make for much better birdie opportunities than the par 3's for the longer players. Elevation is fun, and you're looking at nearly 150 vertical feet on some holes! Ponderosa forest is naturally one of the very best disc golf environments, because the structure of the trees yields the perfect risk/reward ratio. Very easy for anyone new to the course to find their way around this great layout.
Cons: Signage has been damaged, including useful info like the hole #, par # and distance.
Other Thoughts: Noticed a number of comments referring to the amount of trees and underbrush here, but for a player accustomed to many western forest courses this is still going to feel pretty wide open. There's maybe a few tees I might send a spotter out from, but it's not absolutely necessary. The course felt pretty open to me, with just the right amount of technical challenge.

Also, never seen so many people playing in cowboy hats. Love it! ;-)

A tough, tough first outing

1    8/19/2009   7/19/2013
Review By: Alan01
Pros: This is an excellent course, but it's a toughy! Beautiful scenery - mountain course
Some very LONG downhill holes.
Favors the powerful and accurate player, all others feel dread.
Cons: Blind tees make it easier to lose discs.
Lots of undergrowth make it easy to lose discs.
Lots of players bring large dogs with them, sometimes more than one...this can make some people feel quite uncomfortable, but taking a dog along is a Montana "thing" so just be ready for it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I ever played, I didn't really know the game at the time, and I had an extremely frustrating experience. I look forward to playing it again. With the experience that I now have, I know this is a fantastic course, but I'd hesitate to add it to my favorites list...at least not yet.

punish me

1    6/15/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: kd7mxi
Pros: experiance the beuty of montana , lots of exercise , a lot of friendly players
Cons: easy to lose track of score because of how grueling the terain is
Other Thoughts: i recoment you play without scoring and gie way to faster and more experianced player in order to learn the course ,,, watc others play through and ask questions

The course I started on 20 years ago...

5+    7/23/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: AndyJB
Pros: -Long established course that only gets better with age
-Typical Montana course, which means it can be super challenging for visitors
-The surrounding environment provides new wrinkles almost every time you play
-Great exercise, great vibes and plenty of locals to happily uide you and give you tips
Cons: -No tee boxes! I've been spoiled playing more modern courses, so going back to the Big Blue is definetly a change
-Not too many signs and the ones that are there are pretty run down
-Trees! I love throwing in a nice wooded course but some people may find it trying. Expect to go lumberjacking.
-Beautiful views, but if your disc gets away from you, you might as well write it off. Good luck finding it.
Other Thoughts: This is honestly a great course if you have a good attitude. Guys who are used to really nice, groomed professional-level courses may have trouble; but, most likely they'll have a ton of fun as well! Of course, there is the ever-present "thunk" of plastic hitting wood. Great times but it's all about a good attitude. Don't show up with a ultra-competitive attitude. Go to have fun and enjoy the view!

Very Nice Course

5+    6/6/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: Dadio
This review was updated on 5/22/2014
Pros: This is the only full course in Missoula that is open year around. It has quite a few elevation changes and beautiful views of the Missoula Valley. Signs, when there, were good and trails fairly easy to follow. I liked that included with the usual long downhill holes was one longer, steep uphill hole.

Good news as of spring 2014! All tees are pads or pavers and most holes have both Pro and Am tees. Course continues to improve, thanks to all locals helping with that effort!
Cons: Definately a RHBH bias course with some very bushy roughs and holes on steeper hillsides where long roll away are not uncommon. Use bright discs and expect to spend some time looking.
There are some tighter holes with trees but for most part is fairly open.
Many holes still lack maps,often due to vandalism. Fortunately most if not all have par and distance marked at tee so fairly easy to follow.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course alot and enjoyed playing with the locals that showed me around. Improvements bring it up to a solid 4 for me. I make it to Missoula once a year and I have really grown to like this challenging mountain course. I will be playing more in future and will gladly revisit rating as improvements continue. A very nice mountain course I would recommend playing if in area.
Directions on site are accurate but it is deceptively far south of I90 and first right off highway 93 comes up suddenly.

Another Beauitful Montana Course

1    10/10/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is another hilly, beautiful Montana course that is challenging to play and walk through. When you drive in to the parking lot, walk across the street and climb up the hill to the flat spot for hole one. This was the only confusing part of the course for me was finding the first hole. After you find the first hole navigation is fairly simple if you have played a course or two before. There is no signage but common sense trails are usually where the next tee pad is.

The strength of this course is the variation of terrain, obstacles, hole distances, etc. There are some really challenging par three holes out here for my skill level where I have to make two excellent throws to get a birdie and two below average throws might lead to a bogey. Players with higher skill levels may find this course not as challenging and fun as the every day intermediate players.

There are lots of elevation changes going both up and down and there are two really fun downhill throws in holes four and ten I believe. Hole four is a 550+ foot throw down a large hill throwing over many large trees to a basket tucked under the trees just behind a small valley. Hole ten is wide open but another 550+ drive that is to a basket behind and to the right of the only tree on the fairway; not an excellent hole but one that is fun and downhill where you can really rip a drive hard.

I really enjoyed the back nine of this course more than the front. I feel like the course got better and better the more holes that I played but the back nine was where more of the tighter lines were and was more about challenge than the front which was where the fun, more open holes were placed.

This is another beautiful Montana course where you are playing across rolling hills with views of mountains above you and a town or two below you. You really can't beat the scenery and fun holes at this course very often.
Cons: So some of the hole distances were a little off to me. The par four holes just weren't even close to being long enough to be true par four holes and hole number four should not be listed as a par four even from the blue tee. Hole sixteen would be an AMAZING par four hole if the basket was moved 100 or 150 feet further back and there is plenty of room for it. As is this hole is a very challenging par three hole for intermediate or advanced players with it being a tight tunnel with a dog leg throw down the little canyon.

The white tees (shorter tees) I think would be fine if some of the blue tees and/or the baskets were moved back to add some length and challenge but as it is the shorter tee pads are just too similar and don't add much or make things much easier for new players which I believe is why they are there.

There is good variety in hole shape here but it is still slanted. I think they tried to make 'lefty' holes but instead made RHBH turn over holes instead. I think there was only one hole (hole eight?) here where I felt like my FH was going to have to come out over a RHBH turnover throw. Although there are a couple of holes with multiple routes, the ones for LHBH players are much harder and less viable.
Other Thoughts: The directions getting to the course are a bit off I believe. I was using my GPS so I wasn't really paying attention to them but after reading them again I believe there was a street or two they left off. I know I had to drive down a freeway/highway because I was going 60mph before I turned onto some street and then was winding through some back country road to the parking lot. I can't remember exactly which route I took so I can't really update the directions on here, sorry about that.

Remember to bring some water, snacks and good shoes. I'm not sure if there are problems with bears out here or not. There were a couple of people around and I didn't see any bears but you may want to bring bear spray out here just in case.

< Prev 1 2 3