East Bethel, MN
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC Share
-- / --   -- / --   3 / 335ft.   3 / 342ft. Par / Distance:

My first 5 rated course

1    9/13/2009   10/10/2009
Pros: 1) Nice concrete tees (a few of them are pavers but done very well and large enough). #1 tee complex is awesome with a cool bench, paver teeing area and a deck where you can watch the aspiring pro disc golfers throw their first shots of the day.

2) Not a single hole doesn't challenge you in some way. Even the holes that go across the sod field have somethng that could cost you. The boulders on #1, the river on 14, 15, 16.. There are tight wooded holes including the 15' wide fairway on #4, there are multiple ponds that can catch and errant throw, slight elevation changes to affect the way you need to land your disc.

3) The amenities on this course are incredible. Stocked proshop including snacks and drinks. A deck to take a break to eat lunch between rounds. Snack shop in the middle of the course assume is only open on really busy days and tourney days.

4) Brooms, garbage and benches on every tee.

5) Landscaping is done perfectly. It isn't overdone like Bryant Lake. It serves its purpose by retaining the soil, mulch, and improving the overall look of the course.

6) #4 is an awesome tough hole. Keep it between the trees to avoid an easy bogey. 15' wide fairway with very large mature spruce/pines.

7) Next tee signs are awesome and well placed. They helped me get through this course for the first time.

8) Good use of wood chips to cover soil around greens and in a lot of fairways.

9) Two portopottys on the course are always a nice sign if needed.

10) Model course for pay to play. Provide a facility and all the extras and feel free to charge for it!

11) Nice variety in hole distances gives you all sorts of different shots and multi shot holes are always a positive in my mind.

12) These holes will challenge you many different ways. There are a lot of shot options so you get to pick the shot you want or are most comfortable with. Alternative lines on many holes.

13) Tee signs are very well done and really help you to decipher where you want to go.

14) A lot of creative hole design. A 90 degree dogleg with a mando. It isn't 50-75' to the dogleg either. Almost gimmicky enough for me to dislike this hole, but it certainly is creative.
Cons: 1) Not beginner friendly because of some of the really tough holes. I cant fault it and take it down too much because of this because it was simply designed for better players. It isnt like the maintenance of the course is what keeps it from being beginner friendly.

2) Dangerous acorns falling all over this course.

3) Pond on #7 ate my favorite destroyer!

4) Lack of large dramatic elevation changes.

5) Flags would be helpful on a few of the tough to find baskets.

6) The gravel road going to the course is rutted badly. I felt my car actually sliding because of the gravel. I just thought I would mention it even though it doesn't effect the course rating.
Other Thoughts: Well I had to wait a few weeks to really think this rating and review over because I had played quite a few courses that were borderlne 4.5 - 5 disc rated courses in the recent weeks. Bryant Lake Park (missing only a better challenge), Winter Park (Missing only concrete teepads or at the very least level teepads), Silver Creek (Missing only a little bit of maintenance). I had also played a couple other pretty highly ranked courses like Freeman Lake, The Sinks, Brown Deer and Dretzka. If Blue Ribbon isn't a 5 rated course I apologize but I do plan on hitting one or two of the top 10 courses on my way to Florida and I can evaluate it then compared to those courses. I thnk I would consider the top 20 courses as 5 rated courses if they had everything. If the course is missing something very important it might get a 4.5. In my opinion the dramtic elevation you get on ski hill courses is not 10% essential. It is just a different type of course.

over hyped but fun

1    9/17/2009   9/19/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: had a blast. great locals quiet mellow lots of holes. great layout, genius in fact! Well maintained.
Cons: Not much elevation not on par with Highbridge or tower ridge. The chemicals in the water freek me out a bit (locals said the grass from the sod farm in treated with chemicals). Of course chemicals make nice green sod so Im not whining, I just would rather write off a disc than go swimming.
Other Thoughts: Certainly worth playing if your in the area, respect to all you Minnesotans!

2-4    4/18/2008   8/30/2009
Review By: GB Phil G
Pros: Pay to play, excellent pads and baskets. Water hazards. Quiet and pleasant atmosphere.
Cons: Water hazards are too deep for disc retrieval. Don't throw in there
Other Thoughts: Was it always 27 holes? Expansion is a side effect of the pay to play. Helps that a landscape contractor is handling course beautification. Keep it up!

Reviews can't do it justice!

5+    8/28/2009   8/28/2009
Review By: discgolfer99
Pros: Where to start??? I've been reading the reviews and hearing the buzz about this place for a few years now. So I went up there expecting something pretty special. I was not let down one bit. WOW. Being an old school frolfer, I can't believe what pay to play has done for this sport. Between Bryant and now Blue Ribbon, the future of disc has finally got over the hump. The quality of the experience makes you forget that it probably took you 45 minutes to get there from the metro.

The course has it all. I'm not going to break it down hole by hole, they are all great and vary in so many ways, Skill, shape, difficulty (#4 is out of the future), beauty, creativity, par 4's (5's for me), and so much more.
Cons: Lack of elavation is the only negative and that is a positve for many.
Other Thoughts: WOW. Make a day of it. Morning rounds are so pieceful. Order up a Heggies Pizza with 4-5 holes to go and you'll have lunch waiting for you on the deck, Round 2!!!! Bring your friends if you want to impress them on where the sport is heading.

WOW

Minnesota's Finest

2-4    8/9/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: widespread55
Pros: Best course that I have ever played. This is an extremely difficult course that requires every shot you got. Mostly wooded holes with multiple paths to the basket. All the amenities you can imagine. Club house with discs and beverages, well marked signs, best baskets I have ever seen, paver and cement tees on every hole. Water holes are plenty and really make you think about your throws. Well worth the $5 dollars for 27 unbelievable holes.
Cons: Not much for elevation changes on this course. No extra long open holes. This course is for people who have played and not the greatest choice for beginners. Can be very frustrating on some holes and may even seem unfair at times. Pretty far away and in the middle of nowhere(could be a pro or con)
Other Thoughts: $5 will cover the whole day, so I would plan on making a day out of it if your going to make the long drive.

Bring your A game!

1    7/31/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: Miller
Pros: This course is amazing! It's $5 to play and worth it. The teeboxes are very concrete, big and long, and even have a broom if they are too dusty for you. There is a map at each hole telling you exactly what you need to do and the baskets are all custom powdered coated with a blue paint and a flag on top so they are easy to see. Each hole even has a nice bench to sit on. There is a nice pro shop that will sell you anything you need and are very friendly.

As for the course itself, it is hard, but oh so enjoyable. This is the kind of course you could play again and again and still come back because it keeps on challenging you. With 27 holes there is almost everything at this course. You have left turns, right turns, short and technical, and then hole 4 which is looooooong, straight, and tight. The only thing missing is elevation, but by the end you'll be grateful.
Cons: Not much to speak of. There are no elevation changes really, but you don't notice since the course challenges you in so many other ways.
Other Thoughts: We played a nice 9-hole course on the way as a warm up that worked well. You can also play as many times as you want that day for the $5. We got done and if I hadn't had to be somewhere I think I would have been ready to play again.

I played Bryant Lake and this course both for the first time this week and I loved both of them. I think I would say Bryant Lake is easier, but more fun. But with Blue Ribbon I think I would find myself wanting to play it more often just because of the challenge it would pose everytime you play it.

What every course should strive for

5+    7/7/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: Moffwicket
Pros: Almost too many pros to list.
-Large concrete tee boxes. Even a few fancy brick ones. One tee "box" is a big circle you use on two holes.
-Did I mention there's a beer shack right next to that dual tee?
-No litter what so ever.
-Pro shop selling a good variety of discs.
-Signs on all tee boxes with a map of the hole.
-Wide variety of holes. There's the famous 500 tunnel, a wide open 700+ footer, a tight 90 degree right turn maybe a hundred feet long, there's ponds, streams, even a basket sitting in the middle of a 3ft deep crater.
-There's rakes laying at every water hazard so you can attempt to rescue your lousy shot.
-There's even a damn broom on every tee pad for the obsessive compulsives out there.
-Pay to play. That's right, a pro. Keeps the riff raff out, helps pay for the expert grooming job and amenities you get in return.
-Very challenging course. Will keep even the pros coming back for more.
-27 holes is a rarity around here.
Cons: -Bring bug spray for mosquitos and ticks.
-Poison ivy is aplenty.
-It's a bit of a drive to get there, and a big drive if you're coming from the south metro.
-Too hard for beginners. All but the pros have a significant chance of parking a disc in a pond as well.
Other Thoughts: All of my cons are just nitpicking. There's nothing actually wrong with this place. This was the first course around here that puts many ball golf courses to shame. With Bryant Lake's remodel and the new one in Maple Grove, Minnesota disc golf is trending toward high-end courses. I like it.

As you see, I resisted the urge to be a homer and give Blue Ribbon Pines a perfect 5. Why? There's just something I can't put my finger on that leaves me wanting. To me, this course doesn't give me that special warm fuzzy feeling that a couple of my favorites have. But don't get me wrong, Blue Ribbon Pines is spectacular in every way. It is a must-play.

5+    7/10/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: deadbody
Pros: LOVE THIS COURSE. not much elevation change, due to it being on old farm land, but holy cow is it beautiful, super well maintained, long and tight in some spots, but there is a throw for everyone, tough on beginers, but you can't help but love it.
Cons: wish the ponds were not so nasty, lost a favorite disc in there, but that is really it.
Other Thoughts: Totally worth the $5 per day. I could play this course every weekend for the next year and I don't think I'd get bored.

1    7/17/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: D.W.G.
Pros: Many different types of holes... Player needs the whole package, which is a nice change from some other courses... Very clean, a pretty course...
Cons: Some holes are a little too hard(no real chance for a lesser player to make the shot needed)
Other Thoughts: LOVED THIS COURSE!!! Will play it again

This is disc golf

1    5/25/2012   7/18/2009
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 8/16/2013
Pros: -27 completely different and beautiful holes.
-Tough obstacles on every hole except one and that one is 750 feet long so that may be considered an obstacle. Out of bounds is in play on 15 of 27 holes. Water is involved on 12 of 27 although it isn't a major threat except on 5 or so holes. The trees are perfectly placed to get in the way but are not too thick either.
-Mando's- 3 holes have these and you must throw around a certain tree. It makes somewhat easier holes more interesting and usually more difficult.
-Landscaping. The grass is pristine, benches of all sorts at every single hole, bushes, rocks, interesting greens, etc.
-Hole 4. 443 feet straight down a row of tall pines. It is intimidating and makes a straight shot much harder than it should be.
-Pro shop. Sells many discs of all brands at fair prices, also has bags, shoes, minis, beer, pop and snacks.
-Detailed course map with par, distances and scorecard. Pencil also provided.
-The holes varied greatly in every way. 27 holes may get old on another course but on this one they were all different and if my arm wasn't so tired I would have wanted twice as many!
-Friendly locals and staff all over the course seemingly at all times. I did not meet the owner but he seems to be a good guy genuinely devoted to the sport.
-Many tournaments, weekly league and night golf are all held here.
-The tees were all very spacious and some were shaped interestingly like circles and squares.
-Brooms located at every hole to keep the tee clear.
-Garbages at about every other hole to maintain even more cleanliness.
-New; a snack bar type thing at an intersection of 2 holes.

Cons: -Easy to lose a disc on a few of the pond holes. I did throw a star wraith into the last pond hole. However, they hire somebody to get discs out of the ponds and you can come pick them up from the club house usually 2 weeks after you throw it in. They also have rakes to pull discs out but that only works if you know where it goes in exactly or are just lucky.
-Some may consider the 5 dollars a con but I do not. The fees are what makes this course so good. It allows for continuous upkeep and improvements of the course.
-If you are a beginner this course would be frustrating. This course is fairly challenging but not overly challenging. I consider myself an intermediate player and had a great time.
-It isn't near my house or anybody's for that matter. Located in East Bethel which is about an hour north of the Twin Cities. It is well worth the drive and the time it takes to play.
Other Thoughts: I have now played what I consider to be the 4 best courses in the state of Minnesota; Blue Ribbon Pines, Bryant Lake Park, Kaposia Park, and the new Hidden Hills. Blue Ribbon Pines is the overall best course. Its combination of perfect upkeep and imagination wins. Hidden Hills is the most difficult and testing course of them all, if you are a advanced player or pro you may like this course the best. Bryant Lake Park had the best "fun factor". The holes never got repetitive and were never too hard nor too easy. Kaposia is a great course but is simply overwhelmed by the other 3. Blue Ribbon Pines is ranked top 10 courses for a reason.

Update as of May 2012, I am still very impressed by this course but I have found that it simply isn't that hard if you have any measure of control as well as something besides a hyzer. It's upkeep is immaculate and will always buoy this course.