East Bethel, MN
-- / --   -- / --   3 / 290ft.   3 / 290ft. Par / Distance:

This course is amazing.

1    9/24/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: bigbeano
Pros: -Wonderfully maintained course, the grounds are absolutely immaculate
-Good blend of everything from heavily wooded to wide open field holes both short and long
-Will provide everybody with a challenge
-Concession stand halfway through
-Very nice, long concrete tees
-Garbage & recycling cans at nearly every hole
-Fully stocked pro shop at the start along with scorecards
-Good use of water hazards which are in play on close to half the holes
Cons: It's not much, but:
-Very little elevation change as almost every is flat
-The basket locations may change from time to time which is nice, however the locations they were at when I was there required a vast majority of shots to fade to the right. It was definitely not set up for a RHBH thrower. A little more variety would have been nice.
Other Thoughts: First off, it pains me a little bit to give this course a 4.5 instead of a 5.0. I would give it a 4.9 if I could. This is a world-class course, and I absolutely would recommend making a trip to come play it (no matter where you're from).
The course is kept in immaculate condition, I honestly can't remember seeing a single piece of garbage lying on the ground anywhere on the course. There are cans at nearly every hole (if not every hole, can't quite remember). The players seem to respect the grounds and the work that has gone in to maintain it, which is a nice change from what I usually see at other courses. The pro shop and the concession stand offer beverages and snacks which you may need at some point on this relatively long 27 hole course. I noticed one porta-potty on the course which was accessible from about 4-5 different holes so you don't have to go in the woods if it becomes necessary.
The concrete tee pads were exceptionally long and in very nice condition. Even though the course is heavily wooded, unless you throw a disc into a water hazard you shouldn't lose one in the woods. The underlying brush is almost entirely cleared away in most areas which makes finding those drives that strayed off into the woods not too difficult to find. The water hazards are very deep for their size so you probably won't get your disc back if you find yourself in one, but they do have rakes so you can at least try. I found that to be a thoughtful addition.
There are several different holes which could be considered "signature" holes. The one that first comes to mind is #4, which is a 443' foot hole which requires an absolutely arrow straight drive through a tunnel that is no wider than 15'. Stray to either side and you will hit trees (and lots of them). #19 is the other hole that comes to mind; it's a wide open 750' par 4. There are driving range markers on the fairway which makes it a fun little contest to see what you can do. There's also a creek at about 450' which could present a problem for some folks off the tee.
To conclude, really the only thing that stopped me from giving this course a 5.0 was the fact that almost every hole required a shot that faded to the right. I may have just been here on a day where the baskets were in these locations; but they should make it more even between the fades that are required. Make no mistake however, you need to pay this course a visit if you are serious about disc golf.

Challenge & Amenities Are Top Notch!

1    7/22/2011   8/28/2011
This review was updated on 10/10/2013
Pros: BRP is a private course outside the Minneapolis metro area. A large sign directs you to the course from the nearby highway. Arriving at the course, you see a large mural on a semi trailer. There is a pro shop where you pay your $5. It's stocked with disc, snacks and has clean restrooms.

The course has wonderful amenities including benches, trash cans, bag hangers and next tee signs. Thye really know how to take care of the players here. There are huge extra grippy block teepads. The blue Mach 5's are very visible through the woods.

27 holes including some classic disc golf holes. Start with # 4, the Gauntlet Hole, one of the more intimidating and challenging holes I've encountered. 443' down a 20' wide corridor of pine trees.

I like the way they aren't afraid to throw in short unique hole such as # 10, the 140' 90 degree right turn hole.

Cons: I have but a few cons. The first is the lack of elevation. Because the course is basically flat, it leaves me wanting for that EPIC hole. # 4 is a monster, no doubt. But it's not an EPIC hole.
Secondly, the holes from woods across the flat open field with only the creek for an obstacle became monotonous after a while.
Third, the water hazards on the course, while certainly challenging, were ugly and nasty.
Fourth and lastly, And on this point, I feel like I'm comparing BRP to only some of my favorite courses in the country. And while I think this maybe is unfair in some way, I think it's a point that I have to make. That is, I want a course that I rate 4.5 or 5.0 to be drop dead scenic or to have some incredible views or vistas. Blue Ribbon Pines is a nice, flat incredibly challenging course in the woods. It's great but it's not visually beautiful.
Other Thoughts: BRP recieves an easy 5.0 for the challenge. It's an easy 5.0 for amenities. It get's a 5.0 for the amount of work they put in to make the experience great for the disc golfer here.

So my question is? Does BRP deserve his lofty ranking in the top 5 courses in the country? For challenge, difficulty and amenities, I say Yes! But for the overall ranking, I say sorry! Top 20 maybe.

I've played Coyote Point DGC at Lake Casitas in Southern California, Delaveaga and Stafford Lake in North California, Hornings Hideout, Milo McIver and Whistlers Bend in Oregon, Circle R Rolling Meadow Course in Wemberly, Texas, Beaver Ranch in Colorado and The Woodshed in Paw Paw, West Virginia. All these courses offer the same degree of challenge as BRP along with incredible natural beautiful surroundings. I would rank them all ahead of BRP. I agree to disagree with you if you've played any of them and can make a valid comparison.

Worth the 6 hour Drive

1    8/20/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Michler
Pros: You can read most of the other reviews on here and see what is so great about this course. Its not just hype. The course really does give you a great feeling when you walk up to that first tee. I won't break down the shots needed to play the entire course as thats pretty well covered on here. Suffice to say, you do get a chance to pump some big drives, and there is a lot of tight midrange deuce holes. Water is in play a few times. Bring a turnover disc you don't mind losing. The course maintenance is truly second to none.
Cons: While I do love the course and I don't want to tell anybody that its not worth the trip, if I'm being honest I'd have to say it didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations. I like elevation change and this course has very little of it. I also like a challenge, and while this course certainly provided a challenge, its not what you'd call incredibly tough. Hole 4 certainly gives it to you bigtime, but there is also more midrange deuce holes than I would have expected. None of them are what you'd call extremely easy, but many of them aren't super tough either. Some of it comes down to where the pins are located when you show up. I could see several holes had significantly tougher pins that we didn't get to play. If they could have another set of baskets in the hard locations at all times, it would really take this course to another level for those wanting the biggest challenge.
Other Thoughts: Get a fulltime set of baskets in the hardest pin locations and I'd give it a 5.0.

Destination Course

1    8/20/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: #19325
This review was updated on 8/13/2012
Pros: Blue Ribbon Pines is located on private property and is $5 to play. What a bargain! The land is a good mix of mostly wooded holes with some nice open holes in the sod field. Water comes into play on several holes. You know this course is special when you pull in. The painting on the semi trailer is awesome. The clubhouse is stocked with snacks, drinks, & discs.

I see why this course is so popular. It is challenging enough to push more skilled players while still fun to play for recreational players. Although mostly in the woods the rough is not bad for finding discs. The land is pretty flat and a nice walk. I could bring my 67 year old father who throws 200ft here and he would enjoy it as much as I did.

Practice basket near #1 to warm up during the wait.

The concrete tees are plenty spacious and installed correcty.

Most of the fairways are sandy or have wood chips. It rained a little bit the night before we played and it was not muddy at all.

This course is very easy to navigate. There are next tee signs at every point where you might question where to go.

The Blue Mach 5's add to the course. They are very visible in the woods.

Multiple pin positions on many holes. I know it's more challenging prior to and after the MN Majestic event.

Hole #4 is just an epic hole.

There are several awesome Par 4's with water in play. Those are #7 & #19.

Hole #6 is a really nice risk reward with out of bounds on the left side with an option to throw over it.

There are several unique landscaped greens which include paving bricks and large boulders and stones. The course was looking awesome when we played. You can tell a lot of work and care goes into it.
Cons: I have no cons. When I win the lottery this is what I want my new house and land/course to be.

This course gets a lot of play. We arrived just before 8am on Saturday and were the 2nd group out. When we finished around 10:45am the parking lot was full. I don't really look at this as a con but keep that in mind when you play.
Other Thoughts: After driving down the gravel road leading to the course I was super excited. The hype to this course is out there. You hear everyone talk about it. I felt like i've played it after watching the Clash DVD. It lived up to the hype and I loved playing the course.

The only thing i'd like to see different on this course is a 2nd set of pins (Different color than Blue) installed in the other pin positions. This would give players the option to play an easier or harder setup.

The Twin Cities has the best collective group of courses i've played to date. Make a week trip there. You will not be disappointed.

Country Club Feel Course

1    8/1/2011   8/15/2011
Review By: JeffGobin
Pros: -Great mix of 27 holes
-Very well-maintained
-Friendly staff
-Proshop/Snack bar
Cons: -A few holes could benefit from signs explaining where to go on the next hole
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth paying $5.00 to play. I played this course when it was still in the Majestic Layout. If you get a chance, check out the scorecards from this year's tournament in the proshop. Awesome course. Bring bugspray!

Best Course I have played to Date!

2-4    7/25/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: bbavier
Pros: Signature holes, well and methodically placed in a beautiful wooded and quiet plot of land. Close to the twin cities but yet very quiet. well worth the $5!
Cons: Challenging and can get frustrating for beginner and starting players with all of the trees.

1    6/6/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Blue Ribbon Pines is close to, but outside, the metropolitan area of Minneapolis providing that nice isolated-in-nature feel. When you first pull in the large parking area you are greeted by a large disc golf mural on a semi trailer. The Pro Shop where you pay your $5 has a nice selection of discs, refreshments, and nice restrooms. The locals we met in the pro shop and on the course were very nice and loved to talk disc golf.

The course itself has large concrete tees and blue coated Mach baskets. Navigation is a breeze (a map is not really necessary). The course's holes offer a good mix and open/wooded, left/right/straight, and long/short. There are mandos, o.b., a small creek, and several ponds in play as well. There are a few memorable/signature holes as well. For example #4 through the long corridor of pines is one of the most picturesque and memorable (and intimidating) tee shots you will find (enjoy it on the tee because you will love to hate this challenging hole once you are finished!!!)
Cons: The tee signs were a complete joke. They were a picture of somebody playing the hole! Seriously? Why do I care? I can see what the hole looks like for myself once I am standing on the tee. I would rather have no tee signs then these. This course really needed detailed hole maps because of the amount of o.b./water. The scorecard was little help in this matter as well. I would think for $5/person, and a course with this reputation, that normal tee signs aren't too much to ask.

Sure there are 27 holes, but not all 27 of them were of the high quality that I was led to believe. There was a lot of repetition at BRP- I lost count as to how many holes teed from the edge of the woods out into a wide open flat field with no obstacles except for a small, easily avoidable (and very nasty looking) creek to a basket in the open- one hole like that would have been boring enough, but to have multiple and often back to back was disappointing.

The 750' hole also plays in the super wide open field with only the small creek to cross. The distance markers (in the style of a driving range) were cool, but still did not make up for the fact that it was just a long hole in a wide open field.

I feel this course could be better if it only consisted of the best 18-21 holes and left out the boring fillers that detract from its potential.

I did not understand the point of the [gimmicky?] circle concrete tee for #20 when the rest of the course has standard shaped tees.

The course does not conveniently come back to the Pro Shop until after #27, which is too bad for two reasons- 1) 27 holes is a lot and 2) the Pro Shop is super nice but not utilized to its full potential. They tried to make up for this fact with the Snack Shop that you come across twice in the middle of the round, but it was closed, so it was of no help either.
Other Thoughts: There is pretty much no elevation here- not the courses fault, and not a con, but not a pro either.

Also a group of locals we encountered were nice, but were kind of annoying. They skipped around the course so we encountered them multiple times. Disc golf for them seemed to be secondary as they spent much of the time wading in the ponds in their underwear, drinking, and looking for discs. We had to literally throw over their heads on most of the pond shots. (I wonder if this was just a rare sight or quite common here?)

Overall BRP is a solid course that offers a lot of variety and challenged and also has a lot of really fun holes. The wooded holes reminded me of an Appalachian Mtn. course, just flat. However, there are just way too many cons here (mainly the amount of boring and repetitive holes) for this to be considered a top ten course for me. I feel like I somehow played a slightly different course than what is described in the other reviews, and to be honest was underwhelmed and disappointed. I read so many times from others "Perfect" and "No Cons", but that is NOT what I encountered. (Maybe the course is better in the snow?)

I give it a 4.0 (Excellent), which is still a great course, but it just does not have the same characteristics of the other "4.5-5.0" courses I have played.

Home Course

5+    7/3/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: Derek@BlueRibbon
Pros: Really Challenges every aspect of your game. After playing here frequently, other courses seem much easier. Always a good time. Full line pro shop, 5 Star Course.
Cons: Working on better disc retrieval methods. And getting electricity in the snack shack soon.
Other Thoughts: Great way to spend an afternoon or all day. Friendly people. Bring a floater.

Worth the Wait

1    6/28/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Sadjo
Pros: A well-manicured course with benches, trash cans and recycling bins at every hole along with Next Tee signs when one might be needed. Each hole has a nice tee sign with distance marked and there was never a problem of finding the next tee.

Each tee has large cement tee pads that offer most players more than enough rooms to do a full run up.

The course is a nice mix of longer holes and short, tight holes. It also has longer holes that force you to hit a line...but there are plenty of landing areas for all skill levels…allowing shorter throwers to also find ways to attack the hole.

While you'll want to keep your disc in the fairway, getting off the fairway at BRP isn't as punishing as I had heard it would be…and I can see where the more one plays there, one could learn some "local routes" that might be more interesting than the lines we played.

The course is a pay to play...and this is a plus because the fee of $5.00 all day goes toward keeping this course in great shape.

A fully stocked pro shop with discs from every manufacturer can be found there along with a nice selection of bags, stools, t-shirts and beer and soft drinks.

Cons: Cons are more of nit-pickiness than anything else.

Once you're on the course, there is no sense of being able to cut out after 9 or 18 holes. With that being said, I'm talking about having a point where the course loops back toward the parking lot and pro shop. Not only would it make starting at hole 10 or 19 an option, it would also allow more traffic into the pro shop. With the water and potential for lost discs, I can see them selling more discs to player's mid-round to replace a disc that found the bottom of one of the manmade ponds on the course.
Other Thoughts: You get to the course, you pay and then you walk to hole one. There really isn't a formalized routine and groups of all skill levels and sizes can be playing at any time...and that's what Disc Golf has been for many years but for a course as nice and as popular as BRP, it might be nice to see some more origination to the whole process…it's a very popular course. I played, while on vacation, at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon and they were jamming.
This course is really a great example of what Pay to Play Disc Golf can and should be. Anyone that is thinking about or has already opened or designed their own Pay to Play course, visit Blue Ribbon Pines and see what they're doing. It is truly a great course with a lot of time and energy spent the right way.

Awesome

1    6/27/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: whitechocolate
Pros: -Cement tees
-Awesome Baskets
-Good variety of holes
-Mixed wooded and open
-Mixed distances
-Risk and reward holes
-Pro Shop
-Snack shack
-Practice Basket

This course is solid championship caliber course. It has cement tees, well maintain baskets, flags, and fairways. You get 27 holes. Not just 18. The mixed of holes are great. There are a few holes an average player should be able to deuce. There are a few you can earn a deuce. There are real par fours here. Not the this is sort of a par four, but real par four. So being able to earn a couple 3s are a great experience. I did get to play it in Minnesota Majestic set up so the challenges may have been even greater.

There a pro shop and two places to get beverage. Port-a-Potties, garbage cans, all the standard amentities. With the water hazards and the woods there were a lot of opportunities to have to choose if you were going for it or if you were laying up. This is the one thing that I was the most appreciative of.
Cons: -Minimal elevation changes

The only con I have in that there is minimal elevation changes. Although it is not the fault of the course, since they use what they have well. The only other slight con I saw, was that some of the asthetically pleasing part of the course was taking away since they moved a few baskets and placed cones in the old baskets place. Not really a con since it is a safety thing and I was grateful to be able to see where the basket also go in standard setup.
Other Thoughts: All and all, this is an awesome course and the do a fantastic job up at Blue Ribbon. If you are heading up here form the south you cannot drive past it if you are paying attention. They have a brown point of interest sign off of the road.

I would go into more details about this course, however, it has been covered time and time again in the reviews below. There has been talk about if Blue Ribbon Pines deserves to be in the top ten or not on this site. I have not played the other courses in the top ten. However, I have played 215 total courses and this course is getting 5 stars. By comparison no other course I have played is as good as this course. Some may have more memorable holes (although this course has them too), and some courses may have awesome uphill and downhill shots. But I do not doubt for one second that this course is not the best of the best. This course (especially in Minn Majestic layout ) would definitely fall into the top 1 percent of courses out there. Thus 5 stars from me. Great job, Blue Ribbon. You made me fall in love with disc golf again. It's challenging, fun, full of amentities, and well designed