East Bethel, MN
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC Share
Uploaded By: tolson Hole #4 (Taken 6/2008)
-- / --   -- / --   4 / 444ft.   4 / 444ft. Par / Distance:

A promising sign of where DG might be headed

1    6/9/2010   10/15/2010
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Awesome advanced level course that even lesser skilled players will enjoy. Probably the best amenities of anywhere that I've ever played with a fully stocked pro shop, snack bar on the course (wasn't open when I was there), retrieval rakes for the ponds. Some awesome holes with a combination of water and woods that really make you think strategy before you tee off. I particularly liked holes 7 and 19, even though I opted both times to weenie out and lay up short of the water. The 140 mini dogleg hole is cool too. I do love the unique teepads and landscaped greens here. Lack of one disc carrying casuals with no etiquette. Course maintenance is meticulous and ongoing.
Cons: I know not even the best course in the world can make every hole a winner, but I found some degree of the holes underwhelming and repetitive. You can only do so many wooded tunnel shots before you think, this...again? Yeah, I shot like poo here (103), but I expected to do much worse since I was effectively playing it blind. While it was a nice feature aesthetically I didn't care much for the shared teepad by the snack bar. Can get crowded at busy times (although I think you'll enjoy the wait).
Other Thoughts: Essentially a DG version of a country club without the ridiculous greens fees and stingy dress codes, and at $5 for all day access an absolute bargain. This isn't your standard functional park course where you blow through holes and move on to the next one. You gotta sit and enjoy the scenery here. I know it was summer when I was there, but I was pleasantly surprised to see folks out at 11:30 on a Wednesday morning enjoying a round of golf at BRP. I ran into lots of friendly locals who played here frequently and were happy to tell me about the history of the place and plans for the future. Absolutely worth the stop, and don't think for a second that you have to be super good at DG to play here. I saw plenty of the family crowd in attendance alongside the serious players.

Excellent.

1    10/15/2010   10/15/2010
Review By: Johnson
Pros: Very professional, constantly being improved by a knowledgeable staff. Good mix of technicality and wide open power. Signature hole is glorious, a sight you just have to experience yourself. Landscaped baskets on many holes, lots of doglegs right to really test your finesse. Best I've ever played.
Cons: Towards the end you kinda shoot back and forth over a big field.
Other Thoughts: A must play, well worth 5 bucks for hours of entertainment.

BRP

2-4    10/11/2010   10/12/2010
Review By: PTJohnston
Pros: Course is on a privately owned sod farm. They sell beer, sandwiches and snacks at the pro shop, and at a shack out in the field. You cross the snack shack three times during normal play, hopefully its open.

There is a good mix of shots needed, and lots of chances to really air it out. Hole 19 used to be a driving range, now its a 750 footer with marks up to 500 feet out.

Also open all year round.
Cons: It's over 30 miles away from me, so I don't have the opportunity to play there as much as I want to.

They are constantly working on everything, so if there were any flaws, they will be righted in the future.
Other Thoughts: I love this place, I want to live here. My #1 course.

I've had opportunity to hang out with some of the staff, and a lot of the 'regulars' and everyone is great, friendly, helpful and fun.

Plus, being a sod farm, they have some of the nicest grass around, take the time, and indulge yourself and lay down on the grass!

Well worth the 5 bucks!

1    9/28/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: dispatch1313
Pros: This course is actually a 4.25 in my book. Its better then excellent but not quite phenomenal. The layout of the holes are great. There is a lot of variety ie., holes in the woods, holes in the open, and holes with water hazards. The atmosphere is great here, $5 to play all day is a great deal.
Cons: I wish a few of the open field holes were designed a little different. Instead of throwing into the middle of a sod field, I wish more of the fairways would wrap around the woods like a traditional ball golf course. Some of the holes you keep throwing back and forth over the same sod field.
Other Thoughts: Overall a very fun course! On the longest hole (700+ ft) there are distance markers in the field so you can see how far you can throw (or can't in my case).

Frolf Luxury

2-4    9/29/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: andre w
Pros: Excellent signs, grooming, tees. Variety other courses don't have. Rakes and hooks for fetching out of water. BEER for sale, very friendly staff.
Cons: Just missing a big hill shot. Ponds are extremely mucky, mosquitos can get really bad.

Tournement Course

5+    9/4/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: E_Rock25
This review was updated on 6/27/2011
Pros: -Great course.
-Very challenging.
-The layout is awesome and easy to follow.
-Pads are big and well kept.
-Everything is landscaped and looks great.
-Great use of man made ponds and irrigation ditches to make many risk and reward shots.
- Helpfull staff.
- Two or three porta potty's
There is a great variety of shots to throw here. I think I throw every shot I know in a round when I play here. There are open holes, wooded holes, long holes, short holes, lefts and rights, everything a disc golfer could ask for. They also change pad and pin location on a fairly regular basses witch makes the course fun because it never gets repetitive. I have heard that they will be adding some elevation this year or next year and this will make this course a 5 discer for sure.They have a snack shack in the middle of the course that serves beer. Great fully stocked pro shop. A 750ft Driving range hole. I think that the work put in on this course is remarkable and the fact that they have wood-chip fairways on some holes is ridiculously awesome. The couse is always clean has great benches and big stumps for tables. They plow the fairways in the winter and stay open year round in Minnesota whitch is hard to do. This is truly a pristine tournement quality course. I have never palyed a course that is so well maintained. They return your disks if they have your name on them and are found. Beer Beer Beer
Cons: -No elevation change. Some small changes in elevation and a few raised greens and tee pads, but for the most part it is flat.
-Can be busy!
-Not for beginners! It would be nice if they put in some short tees for beginners.
-A night/glow course would be a nice addition.
-There are a lot of wooded tunnel shots, I think they did this to make up for the lack of elevation.
-Bring your own food. All they have is snacks. I have been told that they may have a restaurant in the future.
Other Thoughts: One thing I would like to see is lights for night rounds. I don't know if they do this but it would be so sick if they did.

very yuppie

2-4    6/5/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: CFH-mn
Pros: very well setup course, uses tree wind break so some holes need a very straight shoot, others big hooks. small ponds have disc recovery rakes.
very fancy with lots of lush grass (was sod farm)
Cons: trees have plastic condums, sod farm drainage ditchs eat discs,BRING LUNCH noplace near by to eat. we had bar pizza -made for a not good second round
Other Thoughts: bring a lunch, beer at the clubhouse.
its a tuff course but a fun day...

1    6/30/2010   9/2/2010
Review By: smarkquart
Pros: This course has some of the nicest flows from forest to open shots any course has ever had. It has a great combination of long and short holes, making every shot whether in the forest or open a technical shot without being abusively punishing. Most holes have several possible lines, allow different styles of play to be competitive and giving you an opportunity to try something new every time you play.

Specifically:
-Well-groomed, little places for your disc to hide (not counting water).
- Perfect use of mature trees
- 27 Holes, each one unique
- No holes too difficult or too easy
- Perfect scenery, gives you the feeling of playing "up north"
- Pro shop well stocked and they are courteous, and will always call a lost disc with a number on it
- Maintained during the winter
- Hosts some of the best tournaments in the region
Cons: The negatives all come from your ability to keep it in bounds. Getting off the fairway is obviously a challenge, but can still be fun. However, dunking a disc into the water is likely going to lose it. The ditch running the length of the course is murky and the two ponds you play over are man-made which means no current so it is disgusting and gets deep quickly. They do have rakes to help you fish them out and have a guy who comes in weekly to retrieve everything in there. As mentioned before, they will always call a disc that has a number on it.

Specifically -
- Water that scares you
- During tournaments there are bottlenecks at Hole 4 and Hole 17.
- Bring bug spray
Other Thoughts: Ray Jordan has done so much for this sport in Minnesota. Some of the best tournaments have taken place here, and not just because of the course but from the atmosphere and facilities.

Unless you are a top pro, walking away with 8 over par still feels like a great round and having several people in your group with triple digit scores is very common. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to play a casual round, but unless you are short on time, you will most likely want to play a second round.

favorite course

1    8/9/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: dukdukgolf
Pros: I think this is my favorite course that ive ever played. Amazing 27 holes. I thought it was very difficult course. The length of some the of the wooded holes was surprising but so awesome. Water hazards (ponds, creeks) and OB exists on every hole it seemed like. The man hours the owners put into this course is an unbelieavable number. So much effort and it shows. Truly amazing course. Wish i wasnt 1300 miles away.
Cons: none

First time out

5+    7/17/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Frolfin-it-up
Pros: Very beautiful lay out, very interesting holes, and great atmosphere. There are some very challenging wooded holes that will help with my short game but also a driving range with markers up to 500 hundred feet for the long game. Very well maintained! They have workers to retrieve your discs if they go in the water as long as it has your name on it.
Cons: Bugs, bring your bug spray!
Other Thoughts: My first time playing was here. I used my brothers discs and a plastic bag, after 1 round i went and spent 150 bucks on all new stuff and have played 3-5 rounds a week at various courses. This place is great for people of all experience levels! I highly recommend going to this course, its my favorite so far!