East Bethel, MN
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC Share

5+    7/10/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: deadbody
Pros: LOVE THIS COURSE. not much elevation change, due to it being on old farm land, but holy cow is it beautiful, super well maintained, long and tight in some spots, but there is a throw for everyone, tough on beginers, but you can't help but love it.
Cons: wish the ponds were not so nasty, lost a favorite disc in there, but that is really it.
Other Thoughts: Totally worth the $5 per day. I could play this course every weekend for the next year and I don't think I'd get bored.

1    7/17/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: D.W.G.
Pros: Many different types of holes... Player needs the whole package, which is a nice change from some other courses... Very clean, a pretty course...
Cons: Some holes are a little too hard(no real chance for a lesser player to make the shot needed)
Other Thoughts: LOVED THIS COURSE!!! Will play it again

This is disc golf

1    5/25/2012   7/18/2009
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 8/16/2013
Pros: -27 completely different and beautiful holes.
-Tough obstacles on every hole except one and that one is 750 feet long so that may be considered an obstacle. Out of bounds is in play on 15 of 27 holes. Water is involved on 12 of 27 although it isn't a major threat except on 5 or so holes. The trees are perfectly placed to get in the way but are not too thick either.
-Mando's- 3 holes have these and you must throw around a certain tree. It makes somewhat easier holes more interesting and usually more difficult.
-Landscaping. The grass is pristine, benches of all sorts at every single hole, bushes, rocks, interesting greens, etc.
-Hole 4. 443 feet straight down a row of tall pines. It is intimidating and makes a straight shot much harder than it should be.
-Pro shop. Sells many discs of all brands at fair prices, also has bags, shoes, minis, beer, pop and snacks.
-Detailed course map with par, distances and scorecard. Pencil also provided.
-The holes varied greatly in every way. 27 holes may get old on another course but on this one they were all different and if my arm wasn't so tired I would have wanted twice as many!
-Friendly locals and staff all over the course seemingly at all times. I did not meet the owner but he seems to be a good guy genuinely devoted to the sport.
-Many tournaments, weekly league and night golf are all held here.
-The tees were all very spacious and some were shaped interestingly like circles and squares.
-Brooms located at every hole to keep the tee clear.
-Garbages at about every other hole to maintain even more cleanliness.
-New; a snack bar type thing at an intersection of 2 holes.

Cons: -Easy to lose a disc on a few of the pond holes. I did throw a star wraith into the last pond hole. However, they hire somebody to get discs out of the ponds and you can come pick them up from the club house usually 2 weeks after you throw it in. They also have rakes to pull discs out but that only works if you know where it goes in exactly or are just lucky.
-Some may consider the 5 dollars a con but I do not. The fees are what makes this course so good. It allows for continuous upkeep and improvements of the course.
-If you are a beginner this course would be frustrating. This course is fairly challenging but not overly challenging. I consider myself an intermediate player and had a great time.
-It isn't near my house or anybody's for that matter. Located in East Bethel which is about an hour north of the Twin Cities. It is well worth the drive and the time it takes to play.
Other Thoughts: I have now played what I consider to be the 4 best courses in the state of Minnesota; Blue Ribbon Pines, Bryant Lake Park, Kaposia Park, and the new Hidden Hills. Blue Ribbon Pines is the overall best course. Its combination of perfect upkeep and imagination wins. Hidden Hills is the most difficult and testing course of them all, if you are a advanced player or pro you may like this course the best. Bryant Lake Park had the best "fun factor". The holes never got repetitive and were never too hard nor too easy. Kaposia is a great course but is simply overwhelmed by the other 3. Blue Ribbon Pines is ranked top 10 courses for a reason.

Update as of May 2012, I am still very impressed by this course but I have found that it simply isn't that hard if you have any measure of control as well as something besides a hyzer. It's upkeep is immaculate and will always buoy this course.

Kid in a Candy Store

2-4    7/15/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: JSL5000
Pros: This really feels like a special place for throwing some disc. You can see the care that has gone into this place. Ray said he wants to keep improving it to make every hole perfect. Much thanks to Ray, Timmy Gill and Steve Beckman. Thank you so much for this jewel! Let me tell you that Ray is well on his way to perfection here. The course is immaculately groomed and a joy to play.

Signage is near perfect. I had to search a couple of times, but I think that was due to the course being laid out for the Minnesota Majestic. The course layout is intuitive and a lot of fun.

Teepads are phenomenal. There was maybe one (19?) that was setup for the Majestic and didn't have a concrete teepad, otherwise the teepads are money and all (at least most?) have brooms to sweep away pinecones, mulch, branches, etc. Great teepads.

There are benches and garbage cans at most, if not all, teepads.

Baskets are beautiful. All the baskets are in great condition and have blue paint and an orange flag, so it's really easy to spot. I love these baskets. Kudos for the basket attached to (growing out of?!) the tree stump and the basket that is literally down in a hole.

There is a nice pro-shop where you can buy some discs, beer, sodas and snacks. There is also a little concession stand about halfway through the course that is open Thurs-Sun.

The rough is rough, but it's not big tall grasses that hide your disc. It's mostly mature trees/shule, so you usually don't have to search too long for your disc.

Some truly epic holes. Hole 4 is an absolute beast that you really have to see to appreciate - and fear!!

Lots of long holes, as well as some shorter technical ones. This course really rewards an accurate tee-shot. Hit your lines and you're golden.

You really feel like you are at a disc golf course that caters to disc golfers. They get it and it shows!
Cons: Ok well this is the most difficult course I have ever played. It can be very humbling. I tried to just enjoy the fact that I was there and let my score take care of itself (I had an awesome time!) Let's just say I passed Nikko's course-record 68 (27 holes) on hole 16..

You could easily toss a disc into the pond on a couple holes, but if you're smart it shouldn't be a problem. If worse comes to worse, Ray has plenty of discs for sale.

It does cost $5/day to play, but man if there's a course that's worth it (there are a few I would happily pay-to-play if I had to) this is THE course that is worth it!

It's not right in the Cities. If you live in the Cities, you will have to make a small trek, but it is so worth it to check out.
Other Thoughts: I watched some footage of the 2009 MN Majestic and decided to make the trip up to BRP from Minneapolis. I got there right at 8:00 am on a weekday and Ray was in the clubhouse to greet me. He adjusted my scorecard (he drew in the changes to the course layout on my scorecard with pencil) to reflect the Majestic layout, which was still in effect until the next day. I was really stoked that it was still setup for the Majestic. I then asked him where was tee 1 and he walked me out there and told me how much he loved disc and wished he could join me on my round. Thanks much Ray! Even if you have to take a road trip and use up a weekend day for a run through this course, do yourself the favor. This is what disc golf is all about and let's hope this is a sign of things to come. Love it!

A must play

1    7/4/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: jdahlby
Pros: This course was great! There is not a righty or lefty course, there are plenty of holes that fade both ways. There is plenty of distance as well for the big arms. Everything was landscaped extremely well. The course is layed out very well. It's 27 holes, and you end up where you started. There are signs on every hole directing you to the next basket which is always extremely helpful. There was also a pro shop that sold discs and other apparel. I believe they sold beer as well, but we played early in the morning, so I didn't stick around to find out for sure.
Cons: The only one I can think of is there isn't much elevation. If elevation was in play here, I think that would put this course into the 5 star category!
Other Thoughts: I think we played the course on the Minnesota Majestic '09 layout, so the actual layout was different than what shows on this site, as well as the score cards provided at the course.

Still improving

5+    6/26/2009   6/26/2009
Review By: Guurn
Pros: Currently 27 holes in a combination wooded/open area of mostly flat terrain north of the twin cities. This is an advanced level course not really intended for the beginner although good design and variety in the holes makes it not impossible for a beginner to enjoy.

This course features great design as well as very good landscaping to be one of the most complete courses in the twin cites area. It favors neither rightie nor lefties. Given the limitations (which every type of terrain has) it uses the land to its best effect. Think you can weave a shot through the woods? This course will test that. Think you can drive 330' or 360' or 500', this course will test that. Do you have a nice anny, prove it. Oh yeah, and you think you can drive really long and straight, hole 4 says show me. Among the best courses ever to play with a group, everyone will have at least one hole that plays to their strength. There are also water hazards on several holes which are used to very good effect.

Every time I play this course I am amazed at how it challenges my game without being unfair. Definitly a destination course. Every hole has seats, a garbage can, a broom, and very good signage. Teepads are second to none and baskets are in great shape. They are building a halfway house for drinks on busy days and parking is very adequate. Hole 1 starts just off the parking lot and hole 27 finishes just left of the parking lot. There is an eating/drinking deck off the pro shop. A pay per play course. I mention this in the pros because it is a pro in this case. They can justify charging.
Cons: Any cons I have revolve around either things that can't be changed or things that are changing. It is on mostly flat land and they are always updating the course. The only other con I can think of is that the water hazards are nasty sludge.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the few times I am torn between a 4.5 and a 5. If I could give it a 4.8 I would. Mainly because there were 2 holes that were under construction when I was out there this week. Best of the best? Hard to say but it is extremely good and they are making improvements all the time. I am giving it a 5 because I know that even though it isn't finished, what changes remain will be for the betterment and it is already great.

Play all day costs $5 and it is worth it if you are in the area.

An Intense Course

1    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: krallbd
Pros: If you want to play and have a consistent challenge, this is your course. Long, sweeping holes are there, ready for you to throw your farthest drives. Next to those are short, technical holes, where you do not need anything but a putter and a prayer. This will test your discing ability in every way. The Majestic setup is fantastic, one of the top five courses in Minnesota.
Cons: Do not bring beginners here, it is way too difficult. They will lose discs and take a long time to play the holes. While no hole is ridiculous, the overall difficulty takes its toll and brings you down, so fatigue is a problem. Bring water, or a beer.
Other Thoughts: Enjoy it.

5+    6/10/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: chalupamarley
Pros: There is no course like this anywhere in MN. The attention to detail and level of maintenance is second to none. The layout is challenging and varied. Can be quite difficult, especially in the Majestic tourney layout.
Cons: Not a lot of elevation change, but there are really no cons about BRP.
Other Thoughts: Worth the drive out of the cities. What have you got better to do than play a state-of-the-art disc golf course?

One of the Best

1    6/19/2007   5/20/2009
Review By: Ckrogs
Pros: Blue Ribbon is one of the best courses I've tossed. Ribbon is filled with many challanging wholes. 90 degree shots is very difficult. The upkeep of blue Ribbon is very clean. Beautiful scenery. Deffinently goin to play this course again. Has a Club house that sells discs and food.
Cons: There is not a lot of elevation change.

Hometown Hero

5+    4/24/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: 174CRUSH
Pros: Variety...with 27 holes they find a good balance between holes. Ive played every major course in MN and this one tops my list.
Other Thoughts: Come prepared.Bring bug spray and extra discs with seven water hazards it can get a little messy out there.