Kansas City, MO
Blue Valley Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #18 (Taken 8/2009)

1    9/2/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: astomps
Pros: + awesome distances, downhill, uphill, over valleys, etc
+ best tee pads in KC
+ great piece of land + views
+ good variety of shots and shapes
+ good ratio of difficulty/practicality
+ elevation is insane
Cons: - 2-3 shorter holes with tunnel shots or else would make this course even better
- navigation will be hard the first time, even with a map
- course was in the wide open configuration, but the maps haven't been updated, nor tee signs
-limited parking
Other Thoughts: *should be noted I played the Wide Open configuration with red positions, which is significantly shorter but still longer than any course in KC.

There is a lot to say about this course. For one, the neighborhoods is not that bad, it's a massive park and people aren't just walking around on it looking to rob you or bother you. Cliff Drive is the worst by comparison.

2. Distances will prevent 150 ft throwers and out-of-shape people from not coming, but that is not a con to the course. This is the only course in KC I have played where Par actually means something

3. Has most of the same features as Water Works but does them better in my opinion. I would put this course at the top of KC courses

A couple of thoughts about the monster

5+    3/14/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: eupher61
Pros: It's all been said in other comments, except that you can play this course in a couple of ways. Go all out, bombing for distance, OR play the angles, going for specific landing zones and test your ability to throw where you want. Obviously, small arms will be better suited to the latter. It makes for a great experience on a truly unique course. Seeing #1 within putting range when lying 4 is an amazing experience. Making it sometime would be even better!
Other Thoughts: There are plenty of reasons to complain about BV. There are even more reasons to love it. Keep in mind that it's not necessarily finished, though. There are plans for great things here.
Oh, about the tee pads...if you look closely, they will pretty much represent the shape of the fairway.

2-4    7/30/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: jbradley266
Pros:
- Use elevation
- Lot of long bomb shots
- Tee signs and pads
- Nicely cut fairways and actual rough
Cons:
- Not for the faint at heart
- Creepy dudes hanging around in their cars.
- Parking
- Long and hard to walk for fat guys.
Other Thoughts: I've been trying to find the fairest way to review this course, I have some conflicting feelings. I did not enjoy itů exactly, but maybe I would if an evil scientist would invent a shrink ray to condense this course into something more playable for me. He could put it back after I was done or make it a little bigger for Avery Jenkins. I kept thinking on some of the holes what if it was the same layout but 450 feet instead 900 feet. How much more interesting it would be, could be the difference between an S-Curve and a big Hyzer? In defense of the course, I'm fairly new to the game, old, sort of fat, and have a weenie arm. I did throw one of my longest drives on #9 which made it worth the trip. Not every hole felt out of reach but a good portion of them did. More than a few times I threw three good shots in a row and still had another long shot and upshot left to get close enough to putt, exhausting. I also found it strange that none of the hole ever felt Lefty or Righty specific, which might be because the fairways are wide enough a small plane could use to land in pinch. It's probably more likely because of my noodle arm.
So here's where I'm at; it's a great pro-level course. I also think that's why you can have the whole course to yourself on a Saturday afternoon; very few people can throw far enough to make it fun. I didn't see anyone else, except for the creepy guys that seemed to randomly hanging around in their cars. There isn't another course in the area that will allow you to throw that many big bombs. I've played there a couple of time but I probably won't go back until I can get my technique good enough to throw close to 400 feet, which maybe a few years off if at all and even then that might not be long enough.
I wished that there were amateur or alternate tees, even thought that would be a long walk to the next tee. But really what I was wishing for is to have is some of the holes cut into half making the course into 27 baskets for casual and week armed players. I really feel that you could cut a hole like #1, #3, and #9 in half and get more out of course. And for the freaks of nature that can throw it that long, they could still play the 18 basket layout. Just my opinion though, hopefully I get strong/long enough to play there again someday because it truly is a cool course.

One of a kind

1    5/12/2010   5/15/2010
Review By: Justsendit
Pros: By far the most unique and long course I have played. Excellent actual fairways, nicely manicured and the rough is really rough. Great use of a great piece of land. Tees are unique, Signs are great.
Crazy shots and crazy placements. Factor in alot of elevation use and this is a CRAZY course. There has been alot of work put into this course and there will be more to come.
Cons: Parking is kind of janky. There are numerous individual adult men, backing into parking spots and just generally creeping. I am sure the locals know a better place to park than by the tee or 1. Other than that I can't imagine a negative at such an amazing course.
Other Thoughts: I was told that the city of KC has allocated $120K into building another course at Blue Valley Park. Gotta love the KCFDC for all their work, love and time. It shows on all the KC courses I have played on this trip

Once upon a time in 10,000+ BC (Big Course)

1    3/25/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: Well this course has gotten somewhat of a makeover after the 2009 Worlds. It is really over 10,000 feet. By myself it took me 2 hours to play. This course has an amazing layout. The elevation can be crazy and the length is, well, lengthy! ;) They have really odd looking tee pad shapes that are plenty big enough cement slabs to do your thing on. (see photos) The baskets are nice and the pin locations are quite simple but the path to them can be interesting. As mentioned, some holes are just really long and wide open and yet there are some that have tons of trees to navigate around. The throwing long and hard downhill can be a real thrill. Most of the downhill tees seem to be at that nice angle that makes your disc just go forever. The signs are just beautiful with great info. There are some nice seating and trash cans on most of the holes. The tee areas are so nice, they almost seems like a nice picnic areas. I just have to mention just how funny it is when you come up to a 500+ foot hole and say to yourself, "Oh thank goodness, finally a short hole!"
Cons: You will certainly need a map to navigate this course. I would have not made it without one. By the length, you will obviously not see some of the baskets from some of the tee pads. After a while, just throwing all out for 2 shots on every hole can get a bit old. If it wasn't for the scenery I would have gotten a little bored. The only other thing I can think of is that I did not find a restroom on site.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor here is sad say, just above average. The redundant long drives kind of kills some of the thrills. Teeing off a high point and watching your disc soar is fun, but the long inclines and walk between shots just might kill some of that. You do sometimes feel like civilization is no where close by at times and that can be relaxing. This is the longest course I have played so far and it certainly confirms that I like the technical style more than the long bomb holes. It is still a fantastic course in that it was beautifully made and well worth doing this at least once. I'm very glad I got to come here.

Kansas City Here I Come

2-4    7/28/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: This review refers to the 2009 Worlds layout. Awesome terrain with challenging par 4 and par 5 holes designed for the big arms. The first hole is a well designed par 5 that requires a long turnover or super crush righty hyzer tee shot followed by a near blind crush that must reach the crest of a hill to avoid a blind upshot. Winds make it extra tough to control the upshot to the basket that is on a slope. The 2nd hole is a long downhill crush to a tree guarded pin with OB behind that provides a deuce opportunity. Hole 3 is either a tough par 4 or easy par 5. In either case it requires two well placed drives to set up the approach shot. Hole 4 has alternate routes to a well placed pin. An errant tee shot will have you scrambling to save a three or a four. After that the course simplifies considerably except for hole 9, where a 4 feels like a birdie. Most of the back 9 is wide open, with long holes that reward raw power more than controlled placement. Try to stay high on the hillside on holes 17 and 18 if you want a chance to finish birdie birdie (3,4). Avery Jenkins shot a 53 in the rain that is almost incomprehensible. I watched Phil Arthur shoot a "quiet" 56. Both of these guys can drive 500+.
Cons: A bit too open at times, although the excessive length helps to make up for the football field wide fairways.
Other Thoughts: Excellent tee signs with raised numbers that made it much easier to follow. Has a junior course nearby for warming up. Bring plenty of water and food, as this course will wear you out.

Beautiful Park with Great Views, Nice Elevation, and Redundancy

1    1/18/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: Porkchop
This review was updated on 11/6/2009
Pros: When I got out of the car I almost crapped myself as I saw a beautiful piece of land with what looked to be a sick course ..........
~ Beautiful land with awesome views (Arrowhead Stadium can be seen from many tees and fairways)
~ Extreme elevation that is well used and a blast to play on
~ Great tee signs with their own concrete slabs, 4 bag hooks, and huge numbers that can be seen from 300 ft away
~ Very unique tees that are artistically shaped and huge
~ Lots of true par 4 and 5 holes
~ Very Challenge, as it will test your arm, endurance, and ability to handle wind.
~ Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 are awesome
Cons: ~ Redundancy - I really like the atypical style of course, with many par 4's and 5's as they require multiple throws and challenge your game, but on almost every hole you throw as far as you can then follow it with a rip on a driver or fairway driver. While this style of golf is great it was very redundant as virtually every hole requires the same two shots to get to the pin. In my opinion great par 4's and 5's require you to throw multiple shots on multiple lines, with multiple types of discs, not the same shot over and over and over with the same two discs.
~ Always windy - not a real con as it tests your game, but when you have to throw 500+ ft over and over the wind gets a bit tiresome. Some variety in hole length and shot selection would make the wind more manageable.
~ Tees - the tees are very cool and artistic, but on a few holes the odd shapes force you to throw from odd angles or allow you to only use a small portion of a the large pads. With the amount of concrete used oversized rectangular or trapezoid tees would have been more beneficial and preferred.
~ Not Rec or Intermediate Friendly - the addition of short pads could make this course enjoyable for all.
~ Lack of water, restrooms and trash cans - although I played the course in the winter and the water would probably be shut off, I never saw a water fountain, restroom or trash can on the course.
Other Thoughts: My initial thought was correct, the course is sick. The course is very challenging and world class, but lack of shot selection, outside of a few holes, makes this course rather redundant.

A very long open course with extreme elevation changes

3/11/2008   3/11/2008
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 3/13/2008
Pros: ~The layout I played was 16 Red (short) and 2 Blue (long) basket positions. This mixed layout of 9297 ft. is one of the longest courses I've ever played.
~Huge elevation changes (a sampling: -66, +56, -74, -75, +49, -59, +47).
~Long holes with a great variety of lengths. (In this Mixed layout there were 3 of 300-399/ 5<499/ 5<599/ 3<699/ 1 of 746/ 1 of 816).
~Excellent tee signs with maps and elevation changes and large metal numbers for easy visibility.
~Big artistic concrete tees in curving shapes that are the shape of the fairway.
Cons: ~Most of the greens were too wide open for my preferences.
~There's not very much fairway shape variety. In this mixed layout 11 were straight, 6 were right-to-left, only 1 hole was left-to-right.
Other Thoughts: Course Level for this Mixed layout = Blue

You be the judge-
~Long throwers should really love bombing drives and watching their discs soar, especially on the big downhill shots. Shorter throwers, like me, just have to throw more shots.
~The course is too open for my preferences, but if you like long open shots with few obstacles this is the place for you.
~With a total length of up to 11,000 ft. be prepared for a long hike up and down big hills. Younger and new players may find the hike to be too long and strenuous.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for more detailed rating notes.
You can also read more of my reviews at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DGCourseReviews/