Kansas City, MO
Blue Valley Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6 (Taken 8/2009)

Bring a map :)

1    8/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: attik34
Pros: I'm giving a 3 based on cleanliness, feel and the obvious potential of the course. It's gorgeous. Would have loved to have had a clue what was going on.
Cons: Extremely confusing to just walk up and play for first time. I didnt make it far and decided i needed to come back with help/ a map. I will be doing this and probably changing my rating accordingly.
Other Thoughts: just come prepairedto walk and be lost... bring a map for sure :)

1    6/18/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: tmattoon
Pros: Very cool course with nice tee pads and very very long holes. Pin maps are nice when they are there. Mowed very well for how big it is.
Cons: Very poorly marked course and very hard to find the next whole especially when the numbers change to where short and long tees are different. Not in the best area. Disc golf parking is fine but others in the park aren't. We saw multiple pit bulls wondering around, luckily the one that walked up to us was nice. It's so long you'll probably get tired from walking.

Bring water, oxygen, and an ATV.

1    4/25/2012   5/2/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The elevation changes here are dramatic and, at times, a little tough to believe. The only courses I've played with more are in the Rockies, and even at 8000 feet elevation, they left me less worn out than Blue Valley.

I will give this course credit for being pretty unique: it's unlikely you've played a course quite like this before. The combination of length and elevation changes mean you'll really have to think out the sequence of shots (and given how out of breath you will be, you'll have time to think it out!). Baskets are often on inclines (always a plus for me). While the course isn't heavily wooded, it is far from wide open. There are only a few holes where you can grip and rip; usually you'll need to decide on your line and hit it. Failure to do so could leave you with a brutal uphill shot that is tougher than your tee shot.

The tee signs have large cut-out numbers on top so that it is easy to identify the tee from a distance. Pay attention. I made the mistake after hole 2 of walking up the hill to the tee pad only to find out it was for hole 8. You can't waste your energy here.

I like the oddly shaped tee pads, and it seemed like there was always plenty of room for a run up from virtually any direction.
Cons: The biggest con is that the course is way, way too long. I am all for having an epic hole or three, and there is something to be said for creating a hole where you have to execute four great shots to get into putting range. But you can only have so many of those before mortals will lose interest. They have begun to install alternate, shorter baskets (they are red baskets to differentiate from the regular grey positions). I played every short position, and the course was still brutal. Holes 17 and 18 left me light-headed and a little annoyed; these were holes that only Avery Jenkins would love (there is a reason he has the course record here), and not a satisfying way to finish a course

The fairways were well mowed and looked very nice. But I spent 30 minutes of my 2 hour, 30 minute round looking for discs, often in the taller grass. This really sucks the life out of you.

This course can be a little frustrating to navigate the first time, as you'll often throw your drive and still not be within sight of the hole.

I love the tee signs that are found at nearly every KC area course, but for some reason there is a different design at Blue Valley, and it's not nearly as good. They showed the pin location(s) and distances, but they were very elementary.

Finally, this place is in a rough neighborhood (you hear that a lot about various KC neighborhoods, but this one felt worse than Swope or Cliff Drive). The disc golf parking lot seemed fine, but other lots in the park seemed a little sketchy. I knew I'd need some water before playing and ended up driving around for over 20 minutes before finding a gas station. Come prepared.
Other Thoughts: I can't emphasize enough what a terrific piece of land this is for disc golf. I just feel like it was not designed as well as it could have been. I have talked to a couple local pros who almost never play here because it's too long. If Open level players find this course too much, then who exactly is the course serving? I saw only two other players there. There is a great need for shorter positions on nearly every hole. Multiple baskets are an option (not a cheap one, I know), or just use the long positions for tournaments.

I was really enjoying this course for the first 7 or 8 holes, and it is that potential that the designers should try to capture. There is a great course waiting to emerge from the peaks and valleys.

A couple of thoughts about the monster

5+    3/14/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: eupher61
Pros: It's all been said in other comments, except that you can play this course in a couple of ways. Go all out, bombing for distance, OR play the angles, going for specific landing zones and test your ability to throw where you want. Obviously, small arms will be better suited to the latter. It makes for a great experience on a truly unique course. Seeing #1 within putting range when lying 4 is an amazing experience. Making it sometime would be even better!
Other Thoughts: There are plenty of reasons to complain about BV. There are even more reasons to love it. Keep in mind that it's not necessarily finished, though. There are plans for great things here.
Oh, about the tee pads...if you look closely, they will pretty much represent the shape of the fairway.

2-4    7/30/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: jbradley266
Pros:
- Use elevation
- Lot of long bomb shots
- Tee signs and pads
- Nicely cut fairways and actual rough
Cons:
- Not for the faint at heart
- Creepy dudes hanging around in their cars.
- Parking
- Long and hard to walk for fat guys.
Other Thoughts: I've been trying to find the fairest way to review this course, I have some conflicting feelings. I did not enjoy it... exactly, but maybe I would if an evil scientist would invent a shrink ray to condense this course into something more playable for me. He could put it back after I was done or make it a little bigger for Avery Jenkins. I kept thinking on some of the holes what if it was the same layout but 450 feet instead 900 feet. How much more interesting it would be, could be the difference between an S-Curve and a big Hyzer? In defense of the course, I'm fairly new to the game, old, sort of fat, and have a weenie arm. I did throw one of my longest drives on #9 which made it worth the trip. Not every hole felt out of reach but a good portion of them did. More than a few times I threw three good shots in a row and still had another long shot and upshot left to get close enough to putt, exhausting. I also found it strange that none of the hole ever felt Lefty or Righty specific, which might be because the fairways are wide enough a small plane could use to land in pinch. It's probably more likely because of my noodle arm.
So here's where I'm at; it's a great pro-level course. I also think that's why you can have the whole course to yourself on a Saturday afternoon; very few people can throw far enough to make it fun. I didn't see anyone else, except for the creepy guys that seemed to randomly hanging around in their cars. There isn't another course in the area that will allow you to throw that many big bombs. I've played there a couple of time but I probably won't go back until I can get my technique good enough to throw close to 400 feet, which maybe a few years off if at all and even then that might not be long enough.
I wished that there were amateur or alternate tees, even thought that would be a long walk to the next tee. But really what I was wishing for is to have is some of the holes cut into half making the course into 27 baskets for casual and week armed players. I really feel that you could cut a hole like #1, #3, and #9 in half and get more out of course. And for the freaks of nature that can throw it that long, they could still play the 18 basket layout. Just my opinion though, hopefully I get strong/long enough to play there again someday because it truly is a cool course.

Long & Long

1    8/29/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: Waalkman
Pros: Great place to throw long dramatic drives. Lots of elevation gain & loss. Really creative tee pads that are in the shape of the hole. Each hole marked with large numbered posts and maps showing hole layout and topographical layout.
Cons: Agree with some other reviews, can be a bit repetitive on holes 10-16.
Other Thoughts: This is a course to play for sure. First 10 holes are amazing as are the last 3. Just a couple 'ok' holes in the middle.
It is over 11,000 feet - double what many other courses are, so definitely bring your A game, lots of water. I read this but still did not have enough. Give yourself a good 3.5-4 hours to play this if its you first time.
We actually jumped in the nasty little pond at the end - were exhausted and dirty.

Uh, its long.

2-4    8/12/2010   8/13/2010
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 5/10/2012
Pros: Fairways are mowed, and the rough is definetly rough. It looks like it could be a ball golf course.
Tee pads are very creative.
If you are looking to work on your driving game, there is no better place in the world to work on distance, seeing as this is the world's longest disc golf course.
There are par 4's and par 5's.
Cons: A bit repetitive. I like technical a bit more than distance so this course wasn't the best for me.
The signs at tee pad can mislead you where to throw, but if fairway is mowed, just follow that.
Other Thoughts: Have fun beating Avery Jenkins course record of -13. You might just wanna aim at getting better than plus 18

Over hyped

1    8/12/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: kcplease
Pros: Good use of land
Great use of fariways
Good exercize
Open
Good place to work on drivers
Cons: Too open
Repetitive (long and open, I get it)
Obnoxious parking
The tee maps are not the best
I could make my own course just as fun with a really big field and a couple Mach Lites.
Other Thoughts: This course would be much more fun if I could drive 500 feet. sadly, thats not the case, making almost every hole a challenge. Challenges are good, yes, but when it is the exact same challenge on every hole it gets boring and more of a chore. I still have to chuck it out as far as possible and pray it land on the fairway so I don't have to search through the insane rough. There are many better courses in the Kansas City ares for those of us that like technical courses.

One of a kind

1    5/12/2010   5/15/2010
Review By: Justsendit
Pros: By far the most unique and long course I have played. Excellent actual fairways, nicely manicured and the rough is really rough. Great use of a great piece of land. Tees are unique, Signs are great.
Crazy shots and crazy placements. Factor in alot of elevation use and this is a CRAZY course. There has been alot of work put into this course and there will be more to come.
Cons: Parking is kind of janky. There are numerous individual adult men, backing into parking spots and just generally creeping. I am sure the locals know a better place to park than by the tee or 1. Other than that I can't imagine a negative at such an amazing course.
Other Thoughts: I was told that the city of KC has allocated $120K into building another course at Blue Valley Park. Gotta love the KCFDC for all their work, love and time. It shows on all the KC courses I have played on this trip

Once upon a time in 10,000+ BC (Big Course)

1    3/25/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: Well this course has gotten somewhat of a makeover after the 2009 Worlds. It is really over 10,000 feet. By myself it took me 2 hours to play. This course has an amazing layout. The elevation can be crazy and the length is, well, lengthy! ;) They have really odd looking tee pad shapes that are plenty big enough cement slabs to do your thing on. (see photos) The baskets are nice and the pin locations are quite simple but the path to them can be interesting. As mentioned, some holes are just really long and wide open and yet there are some that have tons of trees to navigate around. The throwing long and hard downhill can be a real thrill. Most of the downhill tees seem to be at that nice angle that makes your disc just go forever. The signs are just beautiful with great info. There are some nice seating and trash cans on most of the holes. The tee areas are so nice, they almost seems like a nice picnic areas. I just have to mention just how funny it is when you come up to a 500+ foot hole and say to yourself, "Oh thank goodness, finally a short hole!"
Cons: You will certainly need a map to navigate this course. I would have not made it without one. By the length, you will obviously not see some of the baskets from some of the tee pads. After a while, just throwing all out for 2 shots on every hole can get a bit old. If it wasn't for the scenery I would have gotten a little bored. The only other thing I can think of is that I did not find a restroom on site.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor here is sad say, just above average. The redundant long drives kind of kills some of the thrills. Teeing off a high point and watching your disc soar is fun, but the long inclines and walk between shots just might kill some of that. You do sometimes feel like civilization is no where close by at times and that can be relaxing. This is the longest course I have played so far and it certainly confirms that I like the technical style more than the long bomb holes. It is still a fantastic course in that it was beautifully made and well worth doing this at least once. I'm very glad I got to come here.