Kansas City, MO
Blue Valley Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #18 (Taken 8/2009)

blue valley long

1    6/20/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: ustenido
Pros: Pin flags on each hole.
The tee box signs are unique and easy to spot.
The comcrete tee pads are esch shaped into the same dimensions of an arial view of the hole.
Not only is this course long, but it is a unique blend of up and down slopes. For example, both holes 17 & 18 exceed 700 feet, but they are valley shots, and a part of one large rolling hill. This means that its important to know how to throw far and strait, plus make good decisions - like is it better to approach short and up a steep hill, or moderately long but flat?

Utilizes man made mounds to elevate baskets. This minimizes or imcreases effective distance which is a sneaky way to manipulate a par grade
Cons: The listed par is not a great resource for beginners. The slopes and distances at this course are one of the more extremes in the country. It is a true tournament course for the best in the world. If you have ever wondered what it would be like to play disc golf on a traditional golf course, go play blue valley long.
Other Thoughts: There are alternate shorter teeboxes, but do not be fooled beginners! Many of these will force you into an uphill battle. There is a short 9 hole course on the other side of the lake that is a better course to hone your skills.

1    9/2/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: astomps
Pros: + awesome distances, downhill, uphill, over valleys, etc
+ best tee pads in KC
+ great piece of land + views
+ good variety of shots and shapes
+ good ratio of difficulty/practicality
+ elevation is insane
Cons: - 2-3 shorter holes with tunnel shots or else would make this course even better
- navigation will be hard the first time, even with a map
- course was in the wide open configuration, but the maps haven't been updated, nor tee signs
-limited parking
Other Thoughts: *should be noted I played the Wide Open configuration with red positions, which is significantly shorter but still longer than any course in KC.

There is a lot to say about this course. For one, the neighborhoods is not that bad, it's a massive park and people aren't just walking around on it looking to rob you or bother you. Cliff Drive is the worst by comparison.

2. Distances will prevent 150 ft throwers and out-of-shape people from not coming, but that is not a con to the course. This is the only course in KC I have played where Par actually means something

3. Has most of the same features as Water Works but does them better in my opinion. I would put this course at the top of KC courses

love the front nine, not sure about the back

2-4    8/18/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 7/15/2013
Pros: Baskets are in great condition, and the tees are concrete and huge. The tees also have an interesting shaping, supposed to represent the shape of the hole. 10/10

The elevation changes here are extreme, the course is definitely in the top three (along with Water Works and Swope) of hilliest courses I've played. There is also a lot of variety in elevation patterns from hole to hole. 10/10

Lots of obstacles combine with the elevation and length to make every hole challenging. I like that there is a combination of individual trees as obstacles to force shot shapes and forested areas to make large areas where your misses can't go. 9/10

There's a great variety of openness on shots. A few holes are wide open and very long, while many are more wooded. Most holes have obstacles on either the drive or the approach which is nice because you can have open drives to bomb away while not having any boring holes. 9/10

There are many ways to play several of the holes (example: should I go around or under this tree). Holes 3, 4, and 5 are great examples of this early on and it continues throughout. I like that this course makes the player think. 9/10

There are some holes that require a certain shot path, or at least heavily encourage it. This requires players to throw every shot to be successful. 8/10

Course maintenance is pretty good. The grass is mowed, every hole has benches and signs. The reason I'm taking some off is that the baskets on the back nine almost all have the wrong numbers AND flags on them, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix this. 7/10

Benches and lots of shade is good. There are water fountains and bathrooms somewhat close to the first tee, but there isn't really anywhere to grab some along the way without going a little while out of the way and with how long of a course this is there really should be more water fountains. After nine isn't too bad to go back to the start, but it's still a hike. 6/10
Cons: Navigation of the holes themselves is pretty good on the front nine, there are flags on the baskets with the correct numbers. On the back nine, it's very confusing because none of the baskets have the correct numbers. tee 10 goes to basket that says 11, 16 goes to a flag that says 18. I'm really not sure about 11-14, I found four baskets and three tees. I think maybe 12 and 14 shared a tee. There was a sign that said 12, with a 14 in spraypaint. 15 and 16 were a bit tricky but I think I figured them out. There was a mystery basket that could be seen from the 15 tee, I couldn't find a tee that seemed to go for it, but I found a total of 21 baskets... This is WITH a map, so I can't imagine how frustrating it would be without one. (see update) 2/10 overall.

Navigation between holes is about the same. Pretty easy on the front nine with arrows that said next tee on the signs, but as mentioned above the back nine is tough even with the signs. 3/10

This course does not provide a challenge for all levels, You need to be at least an intermediate player if you want to do well, and even then it would still be tough. If you're a beginner don't come here unless it's to play the "junior" course. There are a few shorter tees interspersed through the long course, but they're even more confusing than the long course tees, so I don't see any point in bothering with them. 2/10

There isn't much variety in the distances. Most of the shorter holes are uphill while the even longer than long ones are downhill. There are a couple exceptions, with 2 and 11 being ONLY 500 feet, but overall every hole is pretty long. 3/10

Discs aren't the easiest to find. There are lots of blind shots with some fairly heavily forested areas. Plus the extreme hills make it very possible for discs to end up nowhere near where they land, which makes it very hard when you can't see them land anyway. 3/10

Alternate hole positions aren't great, most holes do have one, but it doesn't really change the feel of the holes. Most holes just play the same but with one extra shot (and 1 higher par). Both times I've been every hole was in the same position. 4/10
Other Thoughts: Without a doubt the most difficult course I have ever played, and most of the holes weren't even in the longer options.

Uniquely long, especially in how consistently long pretty much every hole is. I think there are about four holes that were par 3's and all the rest were 4 or more.

The first time I played here I only played the front nine and the short course because it was 108 degrees and I loved it. I came back with a map to play the whole thing but even with a map I couldn't figure out a few holes.

7/14/13 Update:
I finally figured out the navigation on this course. The problem is that there are actually two courses set up at the same time that share most of the tees and baskets. Many of the holes have two baskets on them, with one to use if play the "short" configuration (which is still longer than any course in the KC area) and the other to play the "long" configuration, which is about 11000ft. I played this course recently and it is currently set up in the long positions, but you can still play the short positions (though currently the basket for hole 14 is missing). In the future the first hole can tell you whether the course is set up to be long or short. If the first basket you see has a flag on it, it is set up short, if not and there is a flag on the basket over the hill past the playground, it is set up long.

Bring a map :)

1    8/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: attik34
Pros: I'm giving a 3 based on cleanliness, feel and the obvious potential of the course. It's gorgeous. Would have loved to have had a clue what was going on.
Cons: Extremely confusing to just walk up and play for first time. I didnt make it far and decided i needed to come back with help/ a map. I will be doing this and probably changing my rating accordingly.
Other Thoughts: just come prepairedto walk and be lost... bring a map for sure :)

1    6/18/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: tmattoon
Pros: Very cool course with nice tee pads and very very long holes. Pin maps are nice when they are there. Mowed very well for how big it is.
Cons: Very poorly marked course and very hard to find the next whole especially when the numbers change to where short and long tees are different. Not in the best area. Disc golf parking is fine but others in the park aren't. We saw multiple pit bulls wondering around, luckily the one that walked up to us was nice. It's so long you'll probably get tired from walking.

Bring water, oxygen, and an ATV.

1    4/25/2012   5/2/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The elevation changes here are dramatic and, at times, a little tough to believe. The only courses I've played with more are in the Rockies, and even at 8000 feet elevation, they left me less worn out than Blue Valley.

I will give this course credit for being pretty unique: it's unlikely you've played a course quite like this before. The combination of length and elevation changes mean you'll really have to think out the sequence of shots (and given how out of breath you will be, you'll have time to think it out!). Baskets are often on inclines (always a plus for me). While the course isn't heavily wooded, it is far from wide open. There are only a few holes where you can grip and rip; usually you'll need to decide on your line and hit it. Failure to do so could leave you with a brutal uphill shot that is tougher than your tee shot.

The tee signs have large cut-out numbers on top so that it is easy to identify the tee from a distance. Pay attention. I made the mistake after hole 2 of walking up the hill to the tee pad only to find out it was for hole 8. You can't waste your energy here.

I like the oddly shaped tee pads, and it seemed like there was always plenty of room for a run up from virtually any direction.
Cons: The biggest con is that the course is way, way too long. I am all for having an epic hole or three, and there is something to be said for creating a hole where you have to execute four great shots to get into putting range. But you can only have so many of those before mortals will lose interest. They have begun to install alternate, shorter baskets (they are red baskets to differentiate from the regular grey positions). I played every short position, and the course was still brutal. Holes 17 and 18 left me light-headed and a little annoyed; these were holes that only Avery Jenkins would love (there is a reason he has the course record here), and not a satisfying way to finish a course

The fairways were well mowed and looked very nice. But I spent 30 minutes of my 2 hour, 30 minute round looking for discs, often in the taller grass. This really sucks the life out of you.

This course can be a little frustrating to navigate the first time, as you'll often throw your drive and still not be within sight of the hole.

I love the tee signs that are found at nearly every KC area course, but for some reason there is a different design at Blue Valley, and it's not nearly as good. They showed the pin location(s) and distances, but they were very elementary.

Finally, this place is in a rough neighborhood (you hear that a lot about various KC neighborhoods, but this one felt worse than Swope or Cliff Drive). The disc golf parking lot seemed fine, but other lots in the park seemed a little sketchy. I knew I'd need some water before playing and ended up driving around for over 20 minutes before finding a gas station. Come prepared.
Other Thoughts: I can't emphasize enough what a terrific piece of land this is for disc golf. I just feel like it was not designed as well as it could have been. I have talked to a couple local pros who almost never play here because it's too long. If Open level players find this course too much, then who exactly is the course serving? I saw only two other players there. There is a great need for shorter positions on nearly every hole. Multiple baskets are an option (not a cheap one, I know), or just use the long positions for tournaments.

I was really enjoying this course for the first 7 or 8 holes, and it is that potential that the designers should try to capture. There is a great course waiting to emerge from the peaks and valleys.

A couple of thoughts about the monster

5+    3/14/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: eupher61
Pros: It's all been said in other comments, except that you can play this course in a couple of ways. Go all out, bombing for distance, OR play the angles, going for specific landing zones and test your ability to throw where you want. Obviously, small arms will be better suited to the latter. It makes for a great experience on a truly unique course. Seeing #1 within putting range when lying 4 is an amazing experience. Making it sometime would be even better!
Other Thoughts: There are plenty of reasons to complain about BV. There are even more reasons to love it. Keep in mind that it's not necessarily finished, though. There are plans for great things here.
Oh, about the tee pads...if you look closely, they will pretty much represent the shape of the fairway.

2-4    7/30/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: jbradley266
Pros:
- Use elevation
- Lot of long bomb shots
- Tee signs and pads
- Nicely cut fairways and actual rough
Cons:
- Not for the faint at heart
- Creepy dudes hanging around in their cars.
- Parking
- Long and hard to walk for fat guys.
Other Thoughts: I've been trying to find the fairest way to review this course, I have some conflicting feelings. I did not enjoy itů exactly, but maybe I would if an evil scientist would invent a shrink ray to condense this course into something more playable for me. He could put it back after I was done or make it a little bigger for Avery Jenkins. I kept thinking on some of the holes what if it was the same layout but 450 feet instead 900 feet. How much more interesting it would be, could be the difference between an S-Curve and a big Hyzer? In defense of the course, I'm fairly new to the game, old, sort of fat, and have a weenie arm. I did throw one of my longest drives on #9 which made it worth the trip. Not every hole felt out of reach but a good portion of them did. More than a few times I threw three good shots in a row and still had another long shot and upshot left to get close enough to putt, exhausting. I also found it strange that none of the hole ever felt Lefty or Righty specific, which might be because the fairways are wide enough a small plane could use to land in pinch. It's probably more likely because of my noodle arm.
So here's where I'm at; it's a great pro-level course. I also think that's why you can have the whole course to yourself on a Saturday afternoon; very few people can throw far enough to make it fun. I didn't see anyone else, except for the creepy guys that seemed to randomly hanging around in their cars. There isn't another course in the area that will allow you to throw that many big bombs. I've played there a couple of time but I probably won't go back until I can get my technique good enough to throw close to 400 feet, which maybe a few years off if at all and even then that might not be long enough.
I wished that there were amateur or alternate tees, even thought that would be a long walk to the next tee. But really what I was wishing for is to have is some of the holes cut into half making the course into 27 baskets for casual and week armed players. I really feel that you could cut a hole like #1, #3, and #9 in half and get more out of course. And for the freaks of nature that can throw it that long, they could still play the 18 basket layout. Just my opinion though, hopefully I get strong/long enough to play there again someday because it truly is a cool course.

Long & Long

1    8/29/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: Waalkman
Pros: Great place to throw long dramatic drives. Lots of elevation gain & loss. Really creative tee pads that are in the shape of the hole. Each hole marked with large numbered posts and maps showing hole layout and topographical layout.
Cons: Agree with some other reviews, can be a bit repetitive on holes 10-16.
Other Thoughts: This is a course to play for sure. First 10 holes are amazing as are the last 3. Just a couple 'ok' holes in the middle.
It is over 11,000 feet - double what many other courses are, so definitely bring your A game, lots of water. I read this but still did not have enough. Give yourself a good 3.5-4 hours to play this if its you first time.
We actually jumped in the nasty little pond at the end - were exhausted and dirty.

Uh, its long.

2-4    8/12/2010   8/13/2010
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 5/10/2012
Pros: Fairways are mowed, and the rough is definetly rough. It looks like it could be a ball golf course.
Tee pads are very creative.
If you are looking to work on your driving game, there is no better place in the world to work on distance, seeing as this is the world's longest disc golf course.
There are par 4's and par 5's.
Cons: A bit repetitive. I like technical a bit more than distance so this course wasn't the best for me.
The signs at tee pad can mislead you where to throw, but if fairway is mowed, just follow that.
Other Thoughts: Have fun beating Avery Jenkins course record of -13. You might just wanna aim at getting better than plus 18