Bozeman, MT
Bohart Ranch X-C Ski Center - Lower Share
Uploaded By: Danger Hole #9 (Taken 6/2010)
-- / 255ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Lower = Easier

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: dmbfan
Pros: -Great use of a cross country ski course in the summer!
-Not many junk or throw away holes. Most holes seemed to be thoughtfully designed and require a gap to be hit or a shot to be shaped a specific way.
-Plenty of birdie-able holes to keep things interesting.
-Course was easy to follow from one basket to the next tee.
Cons: -All the tee pads are dirt and some are real small and most were pretty uneven.
-There are a few plain holes on the back nine. I guess they are a good opportunity to shave strokes but they also could be made to be more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I would have given this course a 4 or 4.5 if it had cement tees. I heard that cement tees are in the works which would really improve this course. Other than the small dirt tees I liked everything else about this course, especially the views! Most of the holes are both fun and challenging at the same time. Definitely worth the 20 ish minute drive from Bozeman/ Interstate 90.

I Want More Courses On XC Ski Resorts!

1    10/8/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is the easier of the two courses on site with all of the holes being reachable from the tee pad if I remember correctly. Lots of great elevation both up and down and you can really feel how high up you are with all of the heavy breathing at 6500 feet or so. The good news is you get some really fun holes and along with the breath taking hike you get some breath taking views as well! Some of the uphill holes to start out with are very challenging with how far up the hill you have to travel. A couple of my fellow reviewers speak of navigation problems and we had a couple but nothing that took the wind out of our fun sails. Hole 18 is a nice big downhill open throw to the basket with a nasty bit of rough and a ravine or some kind of water behind and right of the basket so plan accordingly when judging your tee shot.

Hole nine is a so awesome, it combines a couple of different things that I really enjoy about playing new courses in that it has an iron hoop as a target and a risk versus reward elevated tee. The hoop is very large and getting an ace is very possible but if you blow by it with any speed you are looking at a par or even a bogey. I was playing with my friend who just moved to Bozeman and he hit the hoop on the top and it skipped the disc down the hill and he missed his birdie. Love this type of unique target, never seen a giant steel hoop as a target; I really hope they never replace that with a chain basket.
Cons: There is enough room out here to move some baskets back a few hundred feet and have some really fun and challenging par four or even par five holes out here. Most of the holes were fun and somewhat challenging with only one hole coming to mind that was a little strange. I can't remember what hole it was but it was a very short hole where the basket was cemented into a tire. This hole is a 150 or so foot throw with the basket in the most open part of the fairway, just moving this hole left or right ten feet or more would add one or two of the small trees on the edge of the fairway. There a lot of trails out here and though we didn't have much trouble I think some could be confused so a sign or two in the strange spots could help with navigation. The tee pads though they didn't bother me might get slippery after some rain but I'm not sure how much it rains up there, either way they didn't bother me much.
Other Thoughts: So here is a life saving tip for you: DON'T PLAY HOLE 18 ON THURSDAY! Apparently they have biathlon training on that day and the shooting range is open which is very close to hole 18. Trust me you don't need the birdie that bad that you are willing to take a bullet! The course costs $5 a day per person for non locals and locals can get a seasonal pass for $75. Some will argue that this is a steep price but you get two awesome courses and you don't have to play Rose Park all year!

bohart lower 18

1    8/21/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: bayoubola
Pros: -Great setting and nice views.
-Challenging course with lots of trees
-Risk/reward shots next to the ravine
-Fairly well maintained for a seasonal mountain-type course
Cons: -Dirt tee boxes, short, uneven, and have stumps... rubber or cement would go a long way
-A little difficult to follow for first timers - several of the pins are not visible from the box, be sure to grab a map from under the sing-in sheet
-there are no tee box signs with pin distance and basic map
-needs overall better design and pin placements for some of its holes
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a fun course. Difficult yet fair. I could tell that the course has been maintained during the summer. The fairway grass was trimmed, and there wasn't much brush and logs and such along the fairway edges and tree lines. Many holes need more of a mid-range technical shot rather than big arm drive. The 'hoop' hole is a really cool ace opportunity. The crosswinds and updrafts were unbelievably strong and make an interesting dynamic to the game. The locals were really nice and pointed me in the right direction when I got lost on the back 9. The course needs only to improve its tee boxes and tee box signs.

Gorgeous

1    8/28/2004   8/28/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: One of the most beautiful courses I ever played. Steep hills, views of the other mountains, tall evergreens & meadows. It's private and remote, so when I played it I had all the scenery to myself---wonderful!

Lots of fun holes, lots of chances to throw up and down hills. I expected some open "downhill ski slope" holes, and was happily surprised that it's all cut through the woods instead.
Cons: I got caught by rain and some places got quite slick.

Dirt teepads and the non-basket on #9.

I had the place to myself, and the thought of bears did weigh on my mind a bit.
Other Thoughts: To me, well worth the pay-to-play. Heck, I paid a lot more for gas just to get there.

The setting is so nice that even if it had 18 boring holes, I'd want to play it again.

Golf in the wilds!

1    6/25/2007   10/25/2008
Review By: domromer
Pros: Not the world most challenging course but beautiful and with enough variety to keep it interesting.

Definitely worth playing if you happen to be visiting yellowstone and have stashed a few discs in your luggage.
Cons: It was hard to find. Otherwise I can't think of many cons.
Other Thoughts: This course is set in the middle of the Montana wilderness. The Elk were bugling in the fall while we were there and there was also bear scat on the course!