Bozeman, MT
Bohart Ranch X-C Ski Center - Lower Share
Uploaded By: jharr Hole #12 (Taken 6/2013)
-- / 333ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >

1    6/25/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Most beautiful terrain I have played on yet
-Baskets on every hole, except for 'the hoop' on hole 9
-'The Hoop' on hole 9
-Seclusion
-Variety variety variety
-Benches at most tees
-Marked tee pads, and map provided at entrance
-Very fun to follow course flow
-Natural tees are flat and safe enough for run-up's
Cons: -Natural tees
-Flow may be confusing for first timers that forgot to grab a map
-While there is lots of variety, the variety is not spread throughout the course
-No Smoking (hey, I follow the rules)
Other Thoughts: Bohart Ranch is an absolutely beautiful course situated on a private ranch in the shadow of the Bridger Bowl Ski Area. Dense pine forests with interspersed meadows and ski trails really add to the seclusion of the course. The yellow and purple wildflowers found in the meadows (at least this time of year) were amazing.

The pictures originally uploaded to the webpage seem to differ a bit from the ones I have uploaded. The most recent photos (as of June 2010) are the ones uploaded by myself and have a tee sign in each picture.

Every hole incorporates some type of elevation change, and most holes have a very definite line that you have to follow. As most courses are in this region of the world, side-arm friendly holes dominate the majority of the holes, although there were some lovely backhand shots.

While there is a ton of variety, as I mentioned in the 'cons,' they all seem to come in groups. The beginning of the course has some nice, long shots that really make you pull that big arm out in a hurry. Holes one through 8 were all quite long. Hole 3 was a very long uphill shot, although there was an alternate tee if the main one intimidates you. In fact, most holes had an alternate, easier tee to shoot from if that's your thing. Hole four was a fun, narrow tunnel shot across a ridge. If a tree doesn't stop your wayward disc, it will roll into oblivion. Five is a 'signature' downhill with a narrow beginning, open middle, and protected pin.

I personally thought hole 9 was really cool. Instead of a basket, there is a large red hoop begging to be aced. It's a long, relatively open downhill shot. The great thing about it, is if you decide to 'go for it' and miss, you will be shooting for par or bogey in a real hurry. While tempting to go for the hoop, this is a very easy birdie shot if you just convince yourself to lay up.

Holes ten through thirteen continue the same trend of the first nine, although the fairways open up quite a bit and flatten out. They are still fairly long shots though, and are hard earned par threes.

Holes fourteen through seventeen are all extremely short. Some were ace runs, but the majority were birdie runs because the pins are relatively protected. Nonetheless, its seemed to me that they are more or less 'filler holes' that could have been a bit longer (not that I am complaining!). I would have instead liked to see some of these shorter holes interspersed throughout the course instead of back to back, as they really are good, they just don't belong together, and all at the end.

Hole 18 is an awesome awesome awesome downhill shot that is relatively unprotected. Nonetheless, a small tree in front of the tee and a few farther down really make you think hard about your backhand shot. A few on the left also add some difficulty to a sidearm. Great downhill throw.

Holes 17 and 18 are closed on Thursdays from 4 to 8 because the biathlon course is open at that time. I could not find the 'upper meadow' final 9, so that may just be a locals thing for the time being. The course is open from 8am to 8pm, so keep that in mind. Be sure to pay the $5 and sign in. This course is an absolute must if passing through the Bozeman area due to its fun design and fantastic beauty.

Gorgeous Course

5+    6/28/2004   9/2/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 5/21/2013
Pros: One of the most scenic places you will ever play - just the drive up Bridger Canyon alone is worth the price of admission! I used to play this course for years before it had baskets and was glad to see that they had them finally in '04. The course uses the cross-country ski trails to make many of the fairways and several open cuts of field bordered with rugged MT forest and elevation changes to make shots honest. The view from the elevated tee of hole #5 (called "The Dead Horse Hole") looks out to the Bridger Mountains and is one of the best in disc golf. Hole #9 (the one with no basket - just a big hoop) is a great example of risk/reward. Most will go for the ace, however, since the tee is elevated and the fairway downhill, if you miss the target, you will sail away down into the trees beyond and may have trouble getting the birdie at this juncture. The scenery is what makes this course the best, but it is a very enjoyable throw as well.
Cons: Tee pads are natural and can get slippery when wet.

Most of the fairways are much like ball golf and lack trees IN the fairway. I wish more of them had a peppering of trees to create more shaped shots.
Other Thoughts: I never saw bears in the many times that I played there - but that does not mean they don't exist in the region. I just don't think you're nearly as likely to see a grizzly as you would up toward Glacier Ntl. Park or in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

Gorgeous

1    8/28/2004   8/28/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: One of the most beautiful courses I ever played. Steep hills, views of the other mountains, tall evergreens & meadows. It's private and remote, so when I played it I had all the scenery to myself---wonderful!

Lots of fun holes, lots of chances to throw up and down hills. I expected some open "downhill ski slope" holes, and was happily surprised that it's all cut through the woods instead.
Cons: I got caught by rain and some places got quite slick.

Dirt teepads and the non-basket on #9.

I had the place to myself, and the thought of bears did weigh on my mind a bit.
Other Thoughts: To me, well worth the pay-to-play. Heck, I paid a lot more for gas just to get there.

The setting is so nice that even if it had 18 boring holes, I'd want to play it again.

A Much Improved Lower

2-4    7/6/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: DiSCRoCKeR
This review was updated on 8/3/2013
Pros: Beautiful course in the foothills of the Bridger Mountains. Plenty of open and tight throws that play up and down through the hills and woods with gorgeous views of the surrounding mountains. Some of the holes have been tweaked a little due to the newly installed cement tees. Although this is the easier of the Bohart courses, there is still plenty of challenge to be found. It is quite easy to add up the strokes if you get off in to the woods off the fairways. A few fun ace run opportunities to be found and hole 18 has to be one of my favorite finishing holes on any course with a nice bomb down the hillside. OB creek and road comes in to play on a few holes. Hole 16's tee was moved back and to the right making it a more challenging almost island-like hole. No two holes are the same out here and it really makes for an enjoyable experience.
Cons: The course can be a little hard to navigate the first few times. Tee signs need to be updated with correct info. Poor quality baskets for such a top notch course and hole 9 has a large hoop instead of a basket which is quite a bummer. They do replace it with a basket for tournaments though. Some areas that have thick brush are full of thorns so watch out. The mosquitoes and horse flies can get pretty nasty in the summer.
Other Thoughts: With two high quality courses in one amazingly gorgeous location, Bohart should be a must for any disc golf destination. With the addition of updated signs and better baskets this course would earn a higher rating. Make sure to bring plenty of water for all of the hiking up and down the hills as there are no water fountains out here.

Golf in the wilds!

1    6/25/2007   10/25/2008
Review By: domromer
Pros: Not the world most challenging course but beautiful and with enough variety to keep it interesting.

Definitely worth playing if you happen to be visiting yellowstone and have stashed a few discs in your luggage.
Cons: It was hard to find. Otherwise I can't think of many cons.
Other Thoughts: This course is set in the middle of the Montana wilderness. The Elk were bugling in the fall while we were there and there was also bear scat on the course!

Beautiful scenery, and fun to play.

7/17/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: Absolutely stunning Montana scenery, lots of elevation changes, good map, generally well marked and easy to follow.
Cons: Could use a little more distance on a few holes, and a few more holes along the sides of hills would be better use of the elevation, in my opinion, instead of just uphill and downhill. I wish my wife could have played, but because of the no dog rule, she had to stay in the car with the dog.
Other Thoughts: I have to admit, getting to the course, and not being able to bring my dog bummed me out. She loves to come with us as we golf, so it sucked to have to leave her in the car. I realize that when you own a course, I guess you can make whatever rules you want, but I don't understand this one. I mean, you have to pay to play, and sign in each time you play, so how hard would it be to have you sign in your dog also, have a sign asking people to clean up after their dogs, and then if you have problems, you could simply ban the problem people, not all dogs, but hey, I digress. Lets get back to the course:

It is set in a beautiful, hilly, forested area outside of Bowman on land used for cross country skiing, and most of the holes follow some of the ski trails. The fairways are usually well defined by the trail system, so the course if pretty easy to figure out. There are a couple of big uphill and downhill shots, including a "Top of the World" type finishing hole that ends up in a meadow near the start. There is one odd hole, on number nine, there is no basket, just a giant metal wheel about 7 feet in diameter to shoot through, and since it is a clear downhill shot, I imagine aces are fairly frequent on this hole. I wish there would have been some more distance added a few times, quite a few of the holes seemed to be 150-220 foot aces runs, which I am sure some people love (who doesn't love an ace?), but I wish the course would have stretched out a bit. All in all, certainly well worth playing, even though in general, I hate having to pay to play.

1 2 Next >