Bonita Springs, FL
Bonita Springs Recreation Center Share
Uploaded By: Cerealman Hole #8 (Taken 3/2009)
3 / --   3 / 298ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Furthest South course in USA except Hawaii

1    1/6/2010   1/6/2010
This review was updated on 1/8/2010
Pros: 1) Most playable course in the Fort Myers area. It beats the tight fairways at FGCU and the nasty Palm shrubs at N. Ft. Myers, and the lameness that is Bay Oaks in Ft. Myers Beach. Open enough to throw cleanly, yet enough challenge with the forced water carry holes and some tighter fairways.

2) Shelter is right in the main intersection of 2 basket - 3 tee, and 4 basket - 5 tee, and also a big shelter for vehicles or something is located near 6 basket.

3) Benches are located on a few holes including hole #1 which is always nice to have around the first tee area. Garbage cans are also located on holes #1, 3 and 5 junction, and 8 basket area. I never saw much garbage here except down in the water edge.

4) Nicely visible telephone posts painted white with red #'s on the top. The course also has signs on the long tees with descriptions, distances, and hole layout maps.

5) Challenge is ever present on this course except hole #6 (and 15). When there isn't water there is a tight fairway to thread and plenty of trees to avoid.

6) Course is setup as a front 9 back 9 to create 18 different holes. You can play all shorts, all longs, front or back. The setup starts with a long for #1, short for #2, long for #3, and short for #4 and goes all the way like that through 18. The holes played from short and long definitely change the hazards and the challenge, so this course can handle the front back scenario better than many where the longs are simply an extension of the shorts.

7) Dual concrete tees on all holes (except #14) where the tee is raised up in a retaining area and rubber mat is used. They look rough and brutal so don't fall but they are not slippery at all which is the important thing.

8) Practice basket is available near the 1st tee always a plus for a little warmup putting before a round.
Cons: 1) Baskets are starting to look old and worn out. Rust is visible in many places on chains and baskets. A few of the baskets also seemed to be leaning slightly on the posts.

2) Course has zero elevation change on any hole. There really arent any hollows or slight rises. The only place where there is elevation is down into the water or the slight channel around #2 green.

3)Course is not beginner friendly in my opinion because of the water carries required and the tightness of most fairways. The water channel on the right of 4 I imagine will catch a lot of beginners discs too.

4) Course is still overgrown in my opinion, but only because I am not from Florida. I know this is typical and I also know people do go in to try and thin some of this out. I played with Roller Coasters and he said someone even went into the water in front of #7 (and 16) and trimmed down some of the reeds which I could imagine were troublesome to the tee shot.

5) Course layout can be a little confusing because of the switchback from 3 to 4 and then back again past 2 basket to go to #5 tee. Once played though it isnt that bad.

6) Course really lacks variety in shot shaping. Everything is virtually a simple hyzer or straight shot. This happens because of the layout going clockwise around the pond. They could create a couple anhyzers however with some different basket placements like on hole #6. Now there are 3 basket placements per hole (except 6) so maybe this was just the current setup it is hard to tell.
Other Thoughts: Bonita Spring Rec. Center is an all around average course. There is certianly a large amount of challenge on this course witht he water and tightness of most fairways. There are plenty of trees to knock you down (and in my case catch your disc too, although after 35 minutes of searching after my round I did find it stuck in the crease of a palm frond, I was determined as I have already lost 1 Wraith on this long trip of mine. It seems to be in good shape and the amenities and facilities are all there in adequate distribution. There is something about the palmetto shrubs that just irk me but it is simply a mainstay in Florida. There may or may not be much that can be done to keep those palmettos from taking over a course (much like Buckthorn in the north). I just hate having to search for discs so often and not even be able to see them easily. The water apparently is normally really low this time of year because it is typically the dry season, and in a few weeks the level may be way down again taking away a lot of the trouble on that course. I had a good time and I always appreciate playing with a local so Thank you Roller Coasters for your guidance. Glad we could also get the travel tags exchanged since I missed my chance with jrawk a few days ago.

I had to lower the overall rating of this course after playing all the other courses now between St. Pete and Naples. I think in the end it is just an average course. I will return, but would more likely go to North Fort Myers, North Port CHarlotte, or Sarasota.

Breaking into Bonita

5+    9/27/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: nrohtlaw
This review was updated on 10/9/2009
Pros: I found many pro's to the course,it has cement tee pads,it is easy to navigate(if you are not a moron),it has a pretty good layout(really uses the natural surroundings),6 of the 9 holes are in the shade,rough is not too thick,and the tee signs are visible and both tee placement signs were recently painted,the tee numbers alternate short to long after every hole so if you play #1 long,short would be #10,#2 long would be #11 tee and so on.
Cons: The lake and the drainage ditch.They only come into play if you throw your disc into it.I have lost two discs only because I shanked them.Lake comes into play on 2,5,7 and 9 .Comes into play on 7and 9 only if you have a severely short arm.Although the course is only 9 holes it is very fun to play the different tee pads to make it seem like 18,besides there is no room to fit 18 in this park.
Other Thoughts: Being from Michigan,I found this course to be alot like some of the flatter township parks.Very worth playing,but it is no Flip City.

Not A Bad Course

1    5/12/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: sonicsbeer
Pros: Seems to be one of the better courses in the Fort Myers area. They came up with a good course design for the limited amount of space available. It was a great idea to place two different tees for each pin, giving the illusion of 18 separate holes.
Cons: Unfortunately, no maps available. It's not a very confusing course at all, but we did spend some time looking around, and a simple map is just nice to have. Also, the signing is somewhat poor. Not terrible, but it could have been more helpful.
Other Thoughts: The lake really DID NOT come in to play for us, I'm right handed and my friend is left handed so that made no difference. You just need to exercise some control, and yes - perhaps a BIT of restraint. It was nice that the rec center had a small selection of discs for sale, nothing expansive though. You can't go all out on this course by any means, but it was fun. We both had a good time. Oh, and ZERO lost discs, too.

B for Bonita!

5+    3/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B- (used to be A+ until they took down all the Maleluka (sp?) trees)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B

Good Little Course

5+    4/7/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: This is my home course and it is a good little course. It has nine holes but, with multiple tee pads, it plays like an 18 hole course. Each pad is clearly marked with which hole it is and the distance for the current set up. Most holes have three pin placements and the placement is marked on each tee pad. The course is set up around a lake, but there is really only danger on hole 2/11 and 7/16. Hole 7/16 plays over a lake, but it is a manageable distance. I am not a long driver, and yet can get it over the lake consistently. There is also the option for shooting to the left and playing it safe onto the road. There is a good mix of tight wooded shots and big open drives. The only other real danger of losing a disc is on hole 4/13 where an errant shot to the right can land on the roof of a house. The tee and fairway are bordered on the right hand side by a dry canal. The canal only has water in it during the rainy season in summer and even then isn't very deep. Hole 5/14 is the hardest hole on the course with a long narrow opening, a lake on the right and woods on the left. I am very happy to walk away with par on it.
Cons: It is only 9 holes. It can get a little wet during August and September, the rainy season in Southwest Florida.
Other Thoughts: I have to disagree with some of the other reviews that this course is not worth playing. I think it is the opposite - it is the most playable course in the Fort Myers area. It has challenges and yet is fair. The lake does come into play, however, it is always on the right, so beginners have little chance of having a disc fade into the water. I also love the designation of front and back nine tee pads. The different pads are placed well so that each tee shot is unique through 18 holes.

There is also a good selection of new Innova discs at the Rec Center at the park.

Come on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. to play with the local league.

Don't be afraid of the other reviews of this course and have an enjoyable round of disc golf at Fort Myers' most playable course.

Multiple tees make it 18

1    3/1/2009   3/4/2009
Review By: wi2ny05
Pros: Nice facilities and easy to find. There were some local there for their weekly that were more than willing to talk about the course.
Cons: Holes 3 and 4 double back on each other depending on the pin placement. Not horrible but could have been designed a little differently.

God Map

1    1/3/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: HB553
Pros: Although just 9 holes, there are multiple tee and pin placements. Nice layout around lake, and the map on hole one was a welcome sight for a traveling player to get an idea on the layout. Mowed grass (not typical for many area courses) in open and still some typical tighter Flordia holes.
Cons: Not many, fun course to play

Not Worth the Time and Lost Discs

1    12/29/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: Not much, but you are playing disc golf. Nine hole course with plenty of challenge, offset by huge potential for lost discs. Some holes are OK, narrow, and certainly chalenging, but the potential to lose discs here is simply too great.
Cons: Only nine holes. Not well marked. Not in good shape. Backs up to neighborhood fence on a few holes. Potential to end up over the fence. Water everywhere on this course. The course essentially winds around a lake which is always to your right. If the lake is not in play, then you have drainage ditches in play - who knows what's in those bodies of water. Hole 7 is right over the lake to a basket perched on the edge of the lake. I skipped it. Also had to skip hole 6 (which looked fairly benign), utility trucks were parked in the fairway. Hole 8 looked benign too, until the wind took my disc rght into the lake. I was always throwing tentative here for fear of losing discs. I won't go back.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting my father in Ft. Myers. This looked the best of all the courses around, so pickings must be pretty slim in SW Florida.

Worth a visit

1    2/8/2000   5/8/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: Very good use of a very small piece of property. Attractive and well-maintained. The holes have good variety and challenge. Most of the holes are on the tighter side and favor accurate golfers that can shape shots well. Friendly locals.
Cons: It is possible to lose plastic in the schule and water in a couple places.
Other Thoughts: I understand that this course is now 18 holes. I have not played the new holes. This review applies to the original layout.

Don't be a dirty discer. Leave the course cleaner than you found it!

1 2 Next >