Saco, ME
Boom Field Share
Uploaded By: Jimb Hole #14 (Taken 7/2010)
4 / 365ft.   4 / --   4 / --   4 / -- Par / Distance:

Potentially Great, Lacks Basics

1    6/27/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There is a lot of good here. To start, it has character. The spools that serve as as tables, chairs, bag rests, whatever, make the course unique. It's out in farm country and despite the lack of livestock and crops, it feels like a farm. Even the strict warnings against trespassing without paying the fee add to the flavor.

There are also quite a few interesting holes, and my impression at the beginning was better then my impression at the end. A couple solid fairways led to a sweet half moon shaped fairway hole on the third tee. Then four was a drastically different 750 foot bomb. That's a varied start.

It also ends well, with a a nice gradual uphill climb to the 18th cage. One last reminder of how good this course could be, if a few things were fixed up.
Cons: The muck, the muck, the muck. It hadn't been especially rainy when I was here but most of the fairways, not the rough but the fairways, were drenched and my feet were equally drenched about halfway through the course. I'm not sure what could possibly done, but I feel that one of the perks of landing your drive in the middle of the fairway should often bee dry feet.

What could be improved is the navigation between holes. If I hadn't had downloaded the map from this site I would have been completely lost on a few occasions. As is I had a difficult time ascertaining which was the next tee to throw from, which was the cage I should throw towards. These are basic elements that could be cleared up with a few wooden arrows.

The cages are also showing some age, though that typically doesn't bother me.
Other Thoughts: One change from the map that is here. Hle 12 appears from the map to be shooting towards the OOB line. It has been reversed, with the tee near the OOB line and the cage where the tee presumably used to bee. Thank god, as I was not relishing shooting directly towards a barb wire fence.

5+    9/28/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: seano2222
This review was updated on 5/21/2012
Pros: Caveat: This is the course I play most often, as it is only a short excursion off my ride home from work - however, if Woodland Valley moved 10 miles closer, I'd still play this course half the time. Different styles - Both great.

Only two holes on the course are entirely bordered by woods - That said there isn't a single hole on the course where the trees, terrain or out-of-bounds don't necessitate one or more very accurately placed driver shots to save a stroke. The course is everybit as challenging as heavily wooded courses, just needs to be viewed in the light it was created. I've had great luck getting back lost discs here.
Cons: Being open, the sun drenched, fertile, former farmland grass grows as a ridiculous pace. The owner mows every few weeks, just don't expect Scarborough-like fairways. As with most courses, you need to be wary of poison ivy if you stray. Even with drainage improvements, some of the turf holds heavy rain for a few days ... This in turn holds back the mowing.
Other Thoughts: The course, with the exception of mowing, is primarily maintained by volunteers. This season, tweaks and improvements were often in progress, such as basket placement, drainage, trimming, rough clearing and tee reconstruction. The grounds are always clean, tee box waste and empties collection is frequent. Being a bit hilly and relatively wide open adds a bit of granduer and park-like ambiance - As such it's very comfortable and relaxing venue for a round.

The wife and kids love to throw. Without the seemingly generous pars, I'm not sure they would have stuck with it when we first started, hard to buck up and come back again after a +34.

Being open, wind can become part of the fabric of the game. Fortunately predominant winds run right with or against most fairways, there is rarely punishing cross winds.

Favorite holes: 10 that necessitates an understable-rip to slice it to the right, #13 with the big hookshot, #14 that has the OB alders across the fairway out around 300 feet, #17 with that long graceful downhill drift and a stunning view looking over the back nine - Great sunset looks off to the left of the tee box too.

EDIT MAY 2012: As much as it hurts me to do it to my home course, I'm knocking down my rating a half point. The mowing and drainage issues aren't being addressed and conditions hjave degraded from last year. I've become accustomed to it and even prepare for it with rubber boots - But I've seen too many frustrated first time visitors searching for discs in the middle of the fairway while navigating the course in soaked through sneakers. Looking at the recent sucess of nearby courses, it seems like the additonal revenue could quickly pay back the investment to make these basic improvements here.

boom so/so

1    8/3/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: dukdukgolf
Pros: Actually liked the elevation changes and hole layouts were decent. A few real fun holes. also close to old orchard beach which is why i went to it.
Cons: very wet,,swampy. Needs to be mowed very very bad. Some tee pads in disrepair.
Other Thoughts: honestly it could be a good course with a little work and maitenance. if it was mowed with better tee pads id give it a 3 or 3.5.

More like Boom Swamp

1    7/25/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: Spoonie-J
Pros: Closest course to the summer beach areas like Old Orchard, Wells, etc. Nicely secluded with a good variety of shots including plenty of wide open long holes.
Cons: Very wet and swampy throughout. The main fields in the center of the course had water/mud up to your ankles. It rained the day before but it was sunny the day we played and it seemed unusually wet and mucky. It may not be as bad after a few days of sun so I'll update this review if I play it again.
Other Thoughts: Not enough holes in the woods, most in the open wet fields. Conditions felt more like a free course than a $5/round course.