Easton, MA
Borderland State Park Share
Uploaded By: Dean Hole #18 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 230ft.   4 / 450ft.   3 / 295ft.   3 / 375ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Blue Tee

Have I been here before?

1    8/18/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Multiple tee positions. Long tees make a significant difference. They don't just add a few feet like at some courses. Course is in a large park with lots of trails, fields and activities. You could do a cookout and make a day out of a trip here.

Course plays mostly as a wooded technical course. There are some open shots, but the trees come into play most of the time. Lots of shade on a hot summer day is always nice.

Good variety of straight, left and right turning shots. I used all of my discs here. That kind of variety usually adds up to a nice round, and it did for me.

Good mix of challenging holes and holes where you have a real nice shot at the birdie. It wasn't an all day beat down.
Cons: No real elevation to speak of. There are a couple minor ups and downs, but nothing that will really impact your game.

Navigation was challenging. Luckily I caught up to a local guy after about 7 holes and he guided me the rest of the way. Bring a map if it's your first time, or you could do some wandering.

While this is a good, solid course, there probably only a few above average holes here. Not really any wow, that is cool or challenging looks from the teepad.
Other Thoughts: When I started playing #1 I thought I was at Nockamixon in PA. This course has the same rock strewn fairways I remember there. Several of these fairways will chew up your discs and beat up your feet. Wear good shoes and bring primo plastic. Woods and rocks. Everywhere.

I enjoyed my round here, and would recommend this course to anyone. It is just an all around solid course. The rubber tee pads were in great shape, and everything seemed very well maintained. Just don't show up expecting memorable shots or funky hole designs.

Very Enjoyable Course In The State Park!

1    8/10/2011   8/13/2011
Pros: Borderland is a nice well maintained course with a variety of holes from technical, wooded ones to some more wide open ones. For the most part the course is flat however there is some minor elevation to deal with. The course has very nice tee signs with all the useful information. The teepads are mostly rubber and there is usually a broom for sweeping them available at each hole. Having two baskets and two pads for each hole is a major positve when you're familiar with the course but it was a little confusing the first time out. The course and park itself is very scenic with the rock fences, the mansion, the rocky grounds in general, all in all, it's very New England like. It probably felt the most "New England" of the ten NE courses I played on this trip. The challenge would definitely be there playing from the blues to the blues.

# 1 gets my vote as the signature hole on this course. Although it has it's flaws (see cons) it's pretty and I always enjoy a good downhill toss.
You can see that a tremendous amount of time and effort has gone into the building of this course. All the pathways and boardwalks across the wetlands areas. The multiples pads, brooms, practice basket, etc. all contribute to the course enjoyment factor.
Cons: Despite all it's pros, Borderland is not without it's flaws. It's like the foxy blonde with the heavy makeup. She's hiding something underneath. Borderland's cons are numerous and everyone seems to mentions one or two and gloss the rest over. Well, I think they add up.

So here goes. First of all, I'd be very concerned about the wetlands here. All the boardwalks are here for a reason. This course would be very wet and soggy during much of the year.
Wet and soggy adds up to misquitos and lots of them!
The course is flat for the most part. It's missing the "Wow" factor. It doesn't have that EPIC hole. # 1 is a nice little downhill throw. I loved it but the Blues and the Whites are crossing fairways. That's never good!
The two long walkouts that have been mentioned by almost all of the reviews, going from 4 to 5 and later from 17 to 18. Even with the on-line map, I stumbled around on both of them for a while. Hole to hole navigation is general could be improved here.
Lots of Poison Ivy doesn't excite me much.

Other Thoughts: Don't despair Borderland fans. This is a fun little course. Plus you still have the Red Sox and the Pats. I'm from the Seattle area and I'm stuck with the Mariners and the Seahawks and Oklahoma City stole our basketball team.
The two pads/two baskets system gives you much variety. You've got a good thing going here. Nice enjoyable course. Enjoy it as it there aren't many other choices in the area other than that $12 a day fun campground course at Normandy Farms.

But you might want to play a few other courses nationally before you give Borderland a 4.5 or 5 score. Those ratings are few and far between and the courses that receive them are usually pretty spectacular.

So Much Variety

5+    3/22/2011   3/22/2011
Review By: wraich88
This review was updated on 7/13/2012
Pros: Beautiful course with white and blue tees AND baskets. The holes all have great design, and there is a great variety. The holes range from short to long, open to wooded, etc. Almost impossible to get tired of the course, and if you do, you can do white to blue, blue to white, or blue to blue. Every combination offers new challenges and seems like an entirely different course.
Cons: Holes 1-4 are isolated and the walk from 4-5 can be confusing for a new golfer.
Other Thoughts: The course does get very busy on weekends and nice days. Also, check the website before you go to find out there is an all-day tourney taking up the entire course.

Great course

1    11/27/2010   11/29/2010
Review By: Beable
Pros: I recently traveled to Boston for the holidays and played three courses: here, Pyramids, and Newton. This course was by far my favorite of the three.

I played blue tees to blue baskets, which is probably out of my skill range, but I didn't want to play par 3's. I was very happy with the mix of par 3's and 4's. Some of the holes were quite challenging and it was heavily wooded compared to what I'm used to in Western Pennsylvania.

I loved the rocky terrain. I tend to enjoy a course more if there's a significant amount of walking needed, and this course delivered that very well.

It is obvious that there is a lot of love going into this course. There was a bench at every hole and the course was maintained very nicely. In response to another commenter below, it rained the night and day before I went and the ground was not very soggy.
Cons: The only significant thing that bothered me was that in certain places, navigation was quite difficult. The first few holes were great. But when I got to the middle of the course, holes 7-10 specifically, things got a little hairy.

A very simple fix would be to label the baskets with their hole number. I was not able to figure out which baskets were for 8 vs 9. I played one of those holes wrong, because I think I ended up at the same baskets for both. Another simple enhancement would be to write the number of the tee on the back of the tee sign, so that if you're walking towards a tee from far away, you can tell if you're going to the right one.

I feel somewhat bad complaining about this, because it's obvious that the course maintainers have put a lot of work into trying to provide adequate navigation. They have a good map on the back of the scorecard, be sure to get one and use it. The tee signs are great...except that they don't show the location of the alternate tee. I didn't realize there was anything but a blue tee until I had played several holes.
Other Thoughts: I wish I had had more time to play a second round, this course was just great.

i love borderland state park

5+    9/10/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: eastcoastf
Pros: It's a great course with 18 holes and 2 levels. Course is well mapped out and very fun to play.

I go 1 or 2 times a week easily. If i didn't have a job i'd go everyday.

free , restrooms
Cons: it can be very busy. really easy to lose a disc

hole 4 to hole 5 is about a 5 minutes walk away.
Other Thoughts: Great park , lots of things to do other than disc golf.

Mountain biking , hiking trails, fishing.

Make sure you know what poisen ivy, oak, and sumac look like!

5+    8/13/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: sandford
This review was updated on 3/11/2011
Pros: OVERALL FUN FACTOR (16% weight) - 5 - This is a very fun course - even the hike around the course itself is fun if you take away the disc part alltogether.
COURSE DESIGN (14% weight) - 4.5 - One of the strongest points for borderland. The course layout is excellent with 2 tee and 2 basket placements for each hole helps keep the course interesting if you play it over and over again. Only downside is the distance between holes 4 and 5.
SIGNS/MAPS/MARKERS (11% weight) - 5 - All tees well marked and "next tee" signs make navigating the course easy.
TEE PADS (8% weight) - 5 - great rubber teepads with shovels and brooms to keep them cleaned off.
ELEVATION (8% weight) - 5 - Lots of great elevation changes.
SCENIC BEAUTY (8% weight) - 5 - On the grounds of a beautiful state park with pond, stone walls, gardens and a stone mansion. Lots of weddings held on the grounds in the summertime.
BASKETS (5% weight) - 5 - Nice baskets in good condition and excellent placements make for interesting and fun putting.
EPIC HOLES (5% weight) - 5 - I love holes 3, 4 and 12 - keep me coming back!
DISTANCE VARIETY (5% weight) - 5 - Excellent mix of short and long holes and even more variety from whites to blues.
SHOT VARIETY (5% weight) - 5 - Layout requires shots to turn left, right and weave through trees.
FOLIAGE MAINTENANCE (3% weight) - 3 - Generally well kept, but there's lots of poison ivy so keep an eye out in the summer.
BENCHES / TRASH BINS (3% weight) - 4 - Benches and sitting logs on a few holes. Trash cans all along the way.
MIX OF TIGHT AND OPEN (3% weight) - 5 - a few long open holes to air it out as well as technical woodsy holes
OVERALL CHALLENGE (3% weight) - 5 - Blue to Blue is especially challenging for any skill level.
Cons: CROWDED (3% weight) - 2 - The downside of Borderland is the crowds, lots of large groups playing on Saturdays and Sundays makes play slow, especially in nice weather. Plenty of non-disc golfers out in the park also but they generally stay clear of the throwing areas.
Other Thoughts: Yes, this is my home course, but i'm rating it objectively against the other courses I have played around the country and I am very lucky to have such a gem so close to my home. The more I play other courses the more I appreaciate this one!

5+    7/18/2010   8/27/2010
Review By: CummaquidDiscgolfer
Pros: Water Fountains
Clean Tee Boxes
Clean Course
Beautiful scenery
Great open field shots
Great elevation change
Scenic trails
Historical Mansion
Longest course in New England

Cons: None I can think of at this time except, some of the pins can be confusing at times as far as location goes. I would find myself from second or third shot aiming for the wrong pin/ wrong fairway. This was only on maybe 1 or 2 holes. No more than three.
Other Thoughts: I have played disc golf here many of times mixing it up blue to blue, white to white, blue to white. It has especially been a real treat playing here during my college years to get off campus. Blue tees to Blue pins is challenging to make par or birdie but not impossible. The more times you play this course there are the risks/rewards that you run into especially on the front nine.

I try to play here as often as I can since I am 50 minutes from the Cape. Great place to bring the family and kids. If you want to improve your game, then play this course. White to white can be challenging. Blue to blue may seem intimidating, but it's not all that bad. This is an excellent course.

5+    6/19/2015   8/7/2010
Review By: adlacro
This review was updated on 6/20/2015
Pros: Borderland State Park is an 18 hole course with multiple options depending upon your level of play and also a time constraint (when possible-see cons). There are beginner friendly "yellow" tees about halfway down a number of fairways with options to both white and blue baskets, and then there are the traditional layouts.
The white/white layout is the nod to par 3 disc golf, with no overwhelming holes and a layout just under one mile in length. Good for everyone. The blue/white layout adds some distance, often challenges with different lines and a few par fours. The white/blue layout is quite difficult, requiring a full bag to score well, and then the blue/blue. It is one of the longest layouts in all of New England, a pro par 68, and will test your mental game as well as your bag. Water and restrooms available at the ranger station as you enter the course, lost and found with scorecards at bulletin board not far from practice basket. When not in use by others, huge practice field is by practice basket. Nominal $5 fee to park. Yearly parking passes available for $60 (MA resident prices, check for out of state on both daily fee and yearly pass). Other amenities include hiking trails, fishing at the nearby pond, and the historic Ames Mansion, located not far from the 17th white basket.
Cons: Being in an area relatively devoid of solid disc golf courses, the place gets crowded early and often on weekends, and can turn a quick casual round into a tournament length round, especially if you desire to play the longer layouts. Although the majority of the course drains well, some areas will be longer to drain and result in soft ground or some casual standing water. Off the fairways are punished (which they should be) and some areas you're definitely better off with jeans rather than shorts in the summer. You most definitely need bug spray beginning mid April and well into October, if not even into early November. Although the yellow tees I mentioned are easy, not many holes have them. Some have orange flags in place, but again on many holes they are missing. You may just be better off with one of the traditional layouts.
Other Thoughts: I adopted Borderland SP as my home course after I moved here nearly five years ago. I love its scenery both on and off the course, and I constantly challenge myself to play well on its layouts. Don't let the crowded course and the pay to park factors keep you away from arguably the best course between Boston and Providence. With multiple layouts, multiple baskets, and challenges from tee to basket, Borderland offers a whole lot for your money's worth.

BUGs bunny

2-4    7/14/2010   7/14/2010
Review By: brookjhoffman
Pros: Decent variety of holes.
Great variety
LONG front nine holes
shorter back nine holes
Sometimes fun to play in woods
Cons: We used a hole bottle of bug spray because the deer flies wouldn't leave us alone. There is poison ivy EVERYWHERE. The holes in the woods are a little overgrown in spots, but not the worst. I think that the tee placements are in the wrong spot and often don't show any practical way through the trees. Some holes have too narrow fairways and deep crap on the outside.
Other Thoughts: I am giving it a 3 instead of a 2.5 because I bet this course would be great in the fall or winter.

5+    5/13/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: cplatt
This review was updated on 5/31/2010
Pros: -Clean
-Realistic windows through trees
-Blue tees really give your arm a work out
-Plenty of variety with 2 tee and 2 pin options
Cons: -Gets real busy on weekends because it's the one of the better courses serving BOTH Boston and Providence
-Intersection of blue and white tees/pins can cause big back-ups on occasion, nothing a little courtesy and patience can smooth over though
-holes can get a little repetitive
Other Thoughts: This is the course I learned the sport on. Play blue to blue and you've played the longest course in New England.

All of the vets I talked with out on the course consider it a strong course for a public park; with it's good conditionyou're able to see where your 2 dollar park entrance fee is going, which is nice. It's a heavily wooded course that's all about threading it through windows (very few true fairways), so that might be a deterrent to some. Bottom line though is that this place kicks butt (even if it kicks your butt).