Easton, MA
Borderland State Park Share
Uploaded By: Dean Hole #12 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #12 Baskets

Great...But Wet

1    8/3/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: xalzan10
Pros: Lots of awesome views from the T's, lots of challenging shots. Quite a bit of elevation changes, and lots and lots of Dog Legs. This course might be the best maintained I've ever played on, and the duplicate baskets and T's make it ridiculously fresh and fun. Great lay out, tough shots, a great course.
Cons: I went 2 days after a big storm....and half the holes had areas underwater. Hole 5 was an absolute swamp, I almost lost my shoe in the muck. Half the holes were dry, the others insanely wet. The walk from 4 to 5 is tough on some one unfamiliar with the course, even with a map.
Other Thoughts: Other reviews have said the course has a mix of open and wooded holes...I disagree. The "open" holes tended to have large trees in/around the fair way, not really giving the course any grip n rip holes besides 3. Not exactly a con, but slightly disappointing.

Highly recommended, but bring a spare pair of shoes.

Updated review after flypads

5+    7/18/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: treemagnet
Pros: A total of four available courses allows for the ultimate flexibility as players mature. A fifth counting the forward tees which is a great way to start them young. Rubber pads have been installed on all of the white tees at least. The layout was very well thought out and the blue course is there when you're ready for a long day (>8000') Best course in MA.
Cons: Only con I've had is crowds, but you can't blame the course for being good. Hole 5 can get flooded, so be ready after rainy days.
Other Thoughts: Nothing I would change about the course.

Borderland State Park

5+    6/23/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: bjs1293
Pros: Very diverse course. The white course is not too difficult for beginners while still providing a chance for more expierenced players to improve on their skill shots. The blue course is amazing. Holes are long and almost always the pin is in a straight line with the tee but trees and other obstacles force players to make shots that will navigate.
Cons: A little hard to find next tee at times(but really just look at the sign at the tee before throwing and it shows you the way). The walk from 4 to 5 is long but nice.
Other Thoughts: I would give this course a five just in my opinion but it is the only course I have played so I have no comparison. Well worth 2 dollars for parking. For first time players it makes more sense to try and stay in the fairway rather than the go for pin drives(disc can get lost very easily when straying off the fairway).

will be going back often

1    5/30/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: Rbuzz9
Pros: really liked the course - two sets of tees and two baskets per hole makes it easy to mix up and change the course each time. Each hole has a long or a short option. A combination of open and woods which is something that is fairly rare in New England. Most teepads are gravel and are fine condition. Some pads are being turned into rubber. All baskets had orange flags on them. Have a field you can warm up on as well as a practice basket to toss some pre / post game putts. friendly atmosphere. the pay to park machine was busted and was free. it's worth two bucks anyways
Cons: Not too many - for the newcomer it takes a little to figure out how to navigate to the next hole. you get the hang of it after the first few holes -ie how to distinguish the blue or white tees. pretty minor cons. the walk from 4-5 but whatever its a nice walk.
Other Thoughts: great course

Best Start

5+    4/22/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: Esiersdale
Pros: Interchangeable tees and baskets
Friendly Players
Practice Basket (it does underrated on most courses)
Wicked pretty layout
Cons: So good = So crowded
The non-flypad tees get disgusting on wet days
Other Thoughts: It could spoil you, since most of the other near-Boston courses (topsfield, burlington, foxboro) don't stand up to it in quality

2-4    4/15/2005   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Nice layout and maintenance when I was there.
Cons: I played it after a long layoff of disc golf and struggled with the difficulty. That's my fault but it may be a bit tough on true newbies.
Other Thoughts: It's been a few years since I played it, but my recollection is that is a good course.

Great character

5+    8/28/2009   11/2/2008
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/12/2010
Pros: This course has character. Throwing over rock fences that used to delineate the different properties, random old plowing equipment along the fairway, wooden plank bridges over streambeds, and an ivy-covered mansion...just a beautiful place. And basket positions take advantage of the topography, like the blue basket on #4 on the rock ledge, the blue #8 on the hill beyond a little swamp, both baskets beyond the "gate" of trees on 13.

The signage is very good. There are two tee pads and two baskets per hole, so there are a lot of ways to play the course and add some variety. The white tees now have all rubber tee pads rather than the former natural tee pads that were a pain after rain. Although it is fairly wooded, there is not much undergrowth, so it's not a pain to play in the summer. The amount of trees feels just right. You need to be accurate, but you won't necessarily be punished for every bad shot (just most). There is a lost and found closet in the lodge, and I've gotten several discs back.
Cons: Can be a little rough on true newbies, but I've still brought several people here for their first round and they enjoyed it. There are other functions at the park, so you'll sometimes get people walking through the fairway, but not on most holes. There is not a lot of elevation here. One time a third of the holes were closed due to camping, which was annoying after making the 40-minute trip from Boston. Holes 5 and 10 can get pretty swampy after rainfall, and drainage in general here is not great.
Other Thoughts: The blue tees play very long and are pretty difficult. They have tighter windows, more distance, and you need to think about where you are landing your drive to have a good second shot. Every time I get my confidence up on the whites, the blues shoot me down. The pars on both tees seem fair, and it's nice to play at a place that isn't all par 3s (the whites are all par 3, but not the blues). I'm really happy I discovered this course.

No bias even though its home.

5+    8/23/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: Caddyliqq
Pros: Great course with a layouts for introducing someone to the sport of disc golf or challenging yourself as a pro. This course does not favor any style of throw or player and the trees do not discriminate. Typically well maintained and the park is animal friendly so if you have a dog or other animal you can bring them.
Cons: The worst part of the course are the tee boxes. The stone is typically uneven and while they try to maintain it, the level of play makes maintenance and nightmare. They are going to be adding fly pads to all the tees in the coming year so this negative will be gone.
Other Thoughts: Overall one of the better courses I have played, I gave it a 4 because it is missing that something that elevates it to the next level and the lack of good tee pads. Overall the course is kept in excellent condition except for the aforementioned con.

Tremendous course

5/20/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: Markgs22
Pros: Great for seasoned disc players. Some outrageously cool and challenging shots over 18 holes. A lot of acreage; holes are longer and more difficult than average. Sometimes I've played the front nine and it feels like I've played a full 18 on some other courses. Well-marked. Beautiful- it's a state park. Just the right amount of open (approx 1 in 4 holes) versus wooded (approx 3 in 4 holes) holes. Requires distance and accuracy. Some great elevation changes and plenty of doglegs. There are plenty of trees to hit, but still some open-enough fairways to have some spectacular drives. Cheap to play ($2 parking).
Cons: Can get a little jammed on nice days (this is because disc golfers know it's a winner). Long and hard if you're used to some other courses (this isn't really a con for someone who plays a lot and loves disc). I think the back nine is slightly less interesting, challenging and dynamic than the front nine- but still solid.
Other Thoughts: I highly, highly recommend it. Hands down one of the best out of the 10 or 15 courses I've played. Maybe THE best. I've played it 20 or so times over 5 years and it stands up very well over time. In fact, I think the more I've played the sport the better Borderland compares with other courses. A real gem. The ONLY reason I don't give it a full '5' is that I feel I need to have played more courses before I can call a course 'perfect'.

Amazing

7/7/2008   7/23/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Borderland State Park is an old estate that the government gained control of and opened up as a park that now features one of the greatest places I've ever played disc golf. There are two tees and two baskets, that remain in place, on every hole. That's a total of 72 hole combinations! Being my fist time, I played all the long holes so I could get the full experience, as a result my experience lacked short holes. Next time I play this course (and I have to come back) I will alternate the short and longs in some way. The course tee pads are well built with crushed red gravel complete with a rake, many with benches and trash cans. There are maps on every tee pad, showing the locations of the other baskets as well as the direction of the next tee pad. The course is a mixture of open pastures lined with trees and wooded holes with slight hills of a good variety of length. Some of the scenery includes an old mansion with ivy climbing it, ancient farming equipment, grey boulders, stone walls and trees galore. There are so many looks, baskets protected by walls and boulders, right and left dog legs, so many that I lost a trusted disc (my fist loss in about a year). I'll post a few pictures because this place deserves to be seen.
Cons: Paying to park, but its hard for me to complain about $2 as I would have been just as pleased with my experience if I had to pay $20. The course was a tad hard to find, I'm still wondering if exit 10 really exists off of 95. There is a pretty crazy long walk from 4 to 5.
Other Thoughts: The day I played was in the 90's with very high humidity. I a was wasted, dehydrated, drenched in sweat, in awe of what I just experienced. The course was a brute, leaving a hand full of 5's and 6's even an 8 on my scorecard, well earned and no push over at all.