Easton, MA
Borderland State Park Share
Uploaded By: Dean Hole #2 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 430ft.   5 / 910ft.   3 / 400ft.   5 / 900ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #2 White Tee

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 Great character

5+    8/28/2009   11/2/2008
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/12/2010
Pros: This course has character. Throwing over rock fences that used to delineate the different properties, random old plowing equipment along the fairway, wooden plank bridges over streambeds, and an ivy-covered mansion...just a beautiful place. And basket positions take advantage of the topography, like the blue basket on #4 on the rock ledge, the blue #8 on the hill beyond a little swamp, both baskets beyond the "gate" of trees on 13.

The signage is very good. There are two tee pads and two baskets per hole, so there are a lot of ways to play the course and add some variety. The white tees now have all rubber tee pads rather than the former natural tee pads that were a pain after rain. Although it is fairly wooded, there is not much undergrowth, so it's not a pain to play in the summer. The amount of trees feels just right. You need to be accurate, but you won't necessarily be punished for every bad shot (just most). There is a lost and found closet in the lodge, and I've gotten several discs back.
Cons: Can be a little rough on true newbies, but I've still brought several people here for their first round and they enjoyed it. There are other functions at the park, so you'll sometimes get people walking through the fairway, but not on most holes. There is not a lot of elevation here. One time a third of the holes were closed due to camping, which was annoying after making the 40-minute trip from Boston. Holes 5 and 10 can get pretty swampy after rainfall, and drainage in general here is not great.
Other Thoughts: The blue tees play very long and are pretty difficult. They have tighter windows, more distance, and you need to think about where you are landing your drive to have a good second shot. Every time I get my confidence up on the whites, the blues shoot me down. The pars on both tees seem fair, and it's nice to play at a place that isn't all par 3s (the whites are all par 3, but not the blues). I'm really happy I discovered this course.

No bias even though its home.

5+    8/23/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: Caddyliqq
Pros: Great course with a layouts for introducing someone to the sport of disc golf or challenging yourself as a pro. This course does not favor any style of throw or player and the trees do not discriminate. Typically well maintained and the park is animal friendly so if you have a dog or other animal you can bring them.
Cons: The worst part of the course are the tee boxes. The stone is typically uneven and while they try to maintain it, the level of play makes maintenance and nightmare. They are going to be adding fly pads to all the tees in the coming year so this negative will be gone.
Other Thoughts: Overall one of the better courses I have played, I gave it a 4 because it is missing that something that elevates it to the next level and the lack of good tee pads. Overall the course is kept in excellent condition except for the aforementioned con.

Tremendous course

5/20/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: Markgs22
Pros: Great for seasoned disc players. Some outrageously cool and challenging shots over 18 holes. A lot of acreage; holes are longer and more difficult than average. Sometimes I've played the front nine and it feels like I've played a full 18 on some other courses. Well-marked. Beautiful- it's a state park. Just the right amount of open (approx 1 in 4 holes) versus wooded (approx 3 in 4 holes) holes. Requires distance and accuracy. Some great elevation changes and plenty of doglegs. There are plenty of trees to hit, but still some open-enough fairways to have some spectacular drives. Cheap to play ($2 parking).
Cons: Can get a little jammed on nice days (this is because disc golfers know it's a winner). Long and hard if you're used to some other courses (this isn't really a con for someone who plays a lot and loves disc). I think the back nine is slightly less interesting, challenging and dynamic than the front nine- but still solid.
Other Thoughts: I highly, highly recommend it. Hands down one of the best out of the 10 or 15 courses I've played. Maybe THE best. I've played it 20 or so times over 5 years and it stands up very well over time. In fact, I think the more I've played the sport the better Borderland compares with other courses. A real gem. The ONLY reason I don't give it a full '5' is that I feel I need to have played more courses before I can call a course 'perfect'.

Amazing

7/7/2008   7/23/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Borderland State Park is an old estate that the government gained control of and opened up as a park that now features one of the greatest places I've ever played disc golf. There are two tees and two baskets, that remain in place, on every hole. That's a total of 72 hole combinations! Being my fist time, I played all the long holes so I could get the full experience, as a result my experience lacked short holes. Next time I play this course (and I have to come back) I will alternate the short and longs in some way. The course tee pads are well built with crushed red gravel complete with a rake, many with benches and trash cans. There are maps on every tee pad, showing the locations of the other baskets as well as the direction of the next tee pad. The course is a mixture of open pastures lined with trees and wooded holes with slight hills of a good variety of length. Some of the scenery includes an old mansion with ivy climbing it, ancient farming equipment, grey boulders, stone walls and trees galore. There are so many looks, baskets protected by walls and boulders, right and left dog legs, so many that I lost a trusted disc (my fist loss in about a year). I'll post a few pictures because this place deserves to be seen.
Cons: Paying to park, but its hard for me to complain about $2 as I would have been just as pleased with my experience if I had to pay $20. The course was a tad hard to find, I'm still wondering if exit 10 really exists off of 95. There is a pretty crazy long walk from 4 to 5.
Other Thoughts: The day I played was in the 90's with very high humidity. I a was wasted, dehydrated, drenched in sweat, in awe of what I just experienced. The course was a brute, leaving a hand full of 5's and 6's even an 8 on my scorecard, well earned and no push over at all.

great wooded course

2-4    11/9/2012   6/18/2008
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 11/10/2012
Pros: 2 tees and 2 baskets per hole make it play as 4 different courses similar to Warwick, NY.

very well designed, it's mostly wooded but very fair, not too tight anywhere

one of the best wooded courses that I have played!

not a lot of elevation changes but good use of where it exists.

good rubber tee pads with brooms available on most of them

scenic with the Ames Mansion on the grounds, hole 17's view is spectacular!
Cons: $2 for parking but worth all of it.

short tee to short basket (white to white) has a lot of the same straight tee shots, I was using the same disc over and over.
Other Thoughts: I played during the week on a Thursday so it was not crowded. This one of the great New England courses.

Top 5 course.

6/18/2007   6/18/2008
Review By: Rhinoflight
Pros: Long. challenging. Wooded(yes!). Great park, well kept, a few historic buildings. Scenery is fantastic. Mix of holes fantastic. Fantastic scorecard, I kept this one in my bag for almost a year because I loved the course.
Cons: Every once in a while you might come across a group of wandering hikers you have to wait for. I'm guessing that a few of the holes might be on a floodplain, wear boots. A little difficult to find.
Other Thoughts: Wear good hiking shoes. There are some short briers that you might get stuck in, and there are several points on the course where if you don't land on the green, you'll be hunting for whatever you threw.

Borderland State Park

4/20/2008   4/21/2008
Review By: Hovey1127
Pros: Clear and defined fairways with elevation shanges and fair obstacles. Mix of wooded and open holes. two tees and two basket each hole. Clean and well kept. Challenging but fair.
Cons: Gets crowded on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Love this course! one of the best in New England.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >