Boyne Falls, MI
Boyne Mountain Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #2 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #2 Approach

The Sandy Ski Slope

1    7/12/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: Ben17
Pros: Great use of the elevation
Nice baskets with cones on top
Easy to navigate
Great variety of shots
Good use of their surroundings
Not ever crowded
Free map at front
Cons: It is very sandy
If no shuttle, then long hike
Some baskets are getting aged and rusted
Tees are just sand or rocks
Tee sign is just little yellow pole
Zip line intersects
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought this was an alright course. It didn't have what I was expecting out of a course on a ski slope, but it was still nice. I came here on my way to Flip City and it was worth the pit stop. This course seems to have been made for bigger arms. Just be aware of that if you plan on playing. Personally I chose to hike to the top of the mountain. It was about a 15-20 minute hike uphill. It was long and tiring. If you go to the front and have a choice to take a shuttle or a lift, definitely pay the money. I was very winded by the time I got to the top. After that it's not so bad. One of the main problems that I had here was the sand. Almost every hole was playing through thick sand. It would for sure slow you down.
Its also a pain to get the sand out at the end. But still overall I liked it disregarding the few minor faults. I might come back and play again, but definitely with a shuttle. Just come out here and have some major FUN!!

The cherry on top

2-4    7/11/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: deBebbler
This review was updated on 8/1/2011
Pros:
Elevation comes in to play on almost every hole.

Only 2 holes are <200'. While at face value, this looks like it will favor Big Arms, the distance of the throw will do you no good if you cannot place your shot properly. Lack of accuracy will be punished again and again.

Fantastic scenery, with one of the farthest distance views available in the Tip Of The Mitt.

You can stop for a tasty beverage before hole one at the top of the mountain.

Excellent blend of dogleg right/left turns and open/tight fairways. Other than backtracking a bit back up the hill for a couple holes, this course very much starts at the top and ends at the bottom.
Cons:
Sand. Sand tees, sandy fairways and sandy rough. I found footing to either be treacherous or difficult due to the loose ground, and by the end of my round my boots looked like they had just been plucked from a grave.

The tees were sometimes plain awful. It struck me as odd that there was such a fine design to the course, but not a single concrete tee, especially when considering the length of some holes.

Paths to the next hole often ended at the amateur tee, and made no indication that there was a pro tee behind it. Signage was mixed, with cheap generic metal signs at best, to laminated sheets of paper tacked to trees, or a post in the ground at the worst. Again, this struck me as odd as the rest of the signage on the property was immaculate, and to be frank, overly repetitive.

BOYNE charges you to get to the top of the hill (but we didn't end up paying).

LOTS of non-DG traffic. Hikers, bikers, facilities trucks, and more, and more, and more.

Some of the distances were highly suspect.
I agree with Volklgirl that the staff at BOYNE often seems in the dark about anything going on outside of their narrow purview. The running joke is that BOYNE stands for Bend Over, You're Now Employed. Take it easy on them, and yourself, and just go see the concierge at the Lodge, and get a course map.

I waited till I had hit all the other courses within 60 miles of home before I played this. It was the cherry on top, and worth the wait. I really enjoyed my round, and I will certainly make multiple return trips with more time to hang out.

There is a zip line course that intersects the course at about 9 points, but only on the first hole is there any worry of hitting anyone, unless you tommy every shot. This added a entertaining aspect to the round, as I would see the same people zipping along on subsequent holes. It looked like they were having almost as much fun as I was.

While there isn't much to be done about the amount of sand, concrete tees and a small investment in accurate, descriptive signage would zoom this course into the stratosphere. I would easily hand out another disc in my rating.

It is a blast to play on a beautiful day, and one you shouldn't miss.

Boyne Mountain

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Kent18
Pros: Beautiful setting. Great elevation changes and lots of great opportunities to drive off the tee box and watch the disc fly. Good mix of hyzer and anhyzer designed holes. Staff on the resort are proud of this course and usually if you ask you can get a free ride up the mountain.
Cons: By far the tee boxes are in most cases too sandy. In addtion holes 8-11 the whole entire hole is sandy and you feel like your playing in one long sand trap not on a disc golf course. In some spots and even with the disc golf map the resort provides you can get lost as where to go for the next hole.
Other Thoughts: If you have never played on a course yet on top of a mountain then Boyne is worth the trip. It was fun on pretty much all of my drives to watch the disc go. I would have rated higher if even rubber tee pads were in place on even 1/3 of the holes and holes 9-11 I didn't feel like i was playing on the beach.

Great Views!

1    7/31/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: Jayl3ird
Pros: Excellent mountaintop scenery. Freindly, helpful staff. Free ride to Tee #1. Fairly quick and easy compared to it's neighbor Avalanche Park.
Cons: Confusing hole placement. Poor signage. Only 2 or 3 different types of holes. Full of trash - bottles and cans all over the woods.

1    7/4/2008   7/13/2008
Review By: NEWBY1151
This review was updated on 11/26/2008
Pros: Riding up a ski lift for disc golf was pretty cool, I was not charged just had to get pass from front desk, nice variety of wooded holes with lots of elevation changes, score cards and rental discs available at front desk,challenging and fun,great views of Michigans mountains,overall it was a fun course to play I would play again,
Cons: Tee pads are natural with some a little sandy and easy too lose balance, a few holes are a bit confusing on which basket is which,
Other Thoughts: This course is pretty long bring water,If your in the area I would recommend checking this course out,