Fremont, MI
Branstrom Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: lcra0825 Hole #4A (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #4A Tee

Barnstorming at Branstrom

2-4    6/23/2010   6/26/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
This review was updated on 7/6/2010
Pros: This course will challenge your skills and force you to use all of your shots. A variety of ups and downs and rights and lefts through a fairly scenic piece of forest land make this course an intersting walk.
Cons: Unfortunately this course is a bit heavy on the negatives for me. Right off the bat: carpet tee pads? Didn't appreciate them in a few places where they were more of a hindrance than a help. I would have rather thrown from straight dirt. Also more importantly, it seems like there are quite a few luck dependant "stupid holes" where there are no true paths to take even with a well controlled shot. I spent much of the time wondering how it was possible that there were trees everywhere my disc was. I am a big fan of having fun and I have to say at times out in Fremont fun was the farthest thing from what I was experiencing. Also I didn't find the course very easy to navigate. Had it not been for a local regular that served as our guide, I would likely still be out there trying to find my way out. The alternates need some work. The bathroom was so hard to find. I walked for a mile in search of an outhouse before finding out that I needed to go back to the beginning to find a station that was fairly well hidden along the treeline. If you get a call of nature, you had better have it at the beginning or else keep some tp in your bag because this course is a long hike. Biting flies! My word, you had better bring the deet!
Other Thoughts: I want to like this course but I just want to punch it in the eye right now. I am going to give it another go and hopefully edit my review and give it a bit more sunshine. Hope it was just a really bad day. There were far too many holes that were stupid and luck based for my liking. It just wasn't fun. Fun is what I am all about. It felt more like a chore to finish this round. I really enjoyed myself on the last three holes though. The rest of the way was bloody murder. But this a very good course.

Nice Course

5+    5/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: mklahre
Pros: Nice variety of holes. Short Ones, Long Ones
Left Curves Right Curves. etc.
Tough but not too tough. (This may be wrong because I play on this course more then any other.)
Well marked. (again, this may be wrong)
Cons: No concreate tee pads.
The carpet tee pads are sometimes covered with dirt.
After rain the ground will sometimes be boggy.
Not many trash cans along the course.
There are only two restrooms in the park and the only good one is closed most of the time.
Other Thoughts: When you go there the will be a scorecard mailbox. Often it is empty. I have a couple of them and I can xerox them at request.

By the way for those of you who missed the 16th basket there is a reason why.
During the winter kids like to sled down that hill so they remove it so they don't get hurt.

Quickly becoming one of my favorites

2-4    0/0/0000   6/2/2010
Review By: Opus
Pros: This course features a HUGE variety of shots. Left curve, right curve, up hill, down hill, short, long... you name it, this course seems to have it. Having only played it a couple of times, I can honestly say that when the mood strikes to venture out of the local courses, this course will immediately be a first choice course.
Cons: The course really does need cement tee pads, and a couple more trash cans would be great too.
Other Thoughts: I would not recommend this course to beginners. It is a challenging course and will test your various strengths. I definately enjoy the fact that there are some very technical holes that help out the guys with not such big arms, but doesn't leave out something for those guys that want to let loose and drive either.

Feeling Lucky?

2-4    5/23/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: Jax11
Pros: - Great variety (Wooded, uphill, downhill, technical, long, open field shots)
- Some nice elevation shots
- Carpet covered tee pads. Different yet for the most part effective.
- High risk/reward with tight fairways and thick rough.
- Most tee signs were adequate with distance, a small picture and par.
- Wooded holes were very scenic and secluded.
-Very Challenging
- Baskets were in solid condition
Cons: - Lack of birdie opportunities
- Too much "Huck and pray"
- The rough is very unforgiving
- Can get muddy and sloppy after rainfall.
- On some of the tee pads the carpet was pulling up and the pad was lumpy.
- Bugs were bad.
- No water or bathrooms on site.
Other Thoughts: Branstrom is a very challenging course that plays through a variety of terrains. You start in light woods and progress to deeper woods, and finally finish the round with some open field shots. It is very scenic and beautiful and can be a rather strenuous hike in some parts. Branstrom mainly tests your ability to throw 300 ft shots on tight wooded fairways with a few technical holes thrown into the mix. My biggest problem with Branstrom is the lack of birdie opportunities. Most holes were a stretch to get a 3 and the shorter more birdie-able holes were guarded by what some refer to a "jail bars" and birdies were likely results of luck. If you are new to the game or simply can't hit 4 ft wide gaps 200 ft down the fairway luck will have a lot to do with how you finish out a given hole. Please understand that some may look at these ridiculously tight "fairways" and enjoy the challenge, but that is not me and I have rated Branstrom with that in mind.

Overall, it is a course worth playing if you are in the area for Flip City or a different course, but it is not a destination course and can get extremely frustrating. If you do chose to play it, go in with an open mind and a carefree attitude or your round can go sour very quickly.

FLIP CITY's cousin

1    4/5/2010   5/22/2010
Review By: NateDiscFlip
Pros: The course is tight....elevation changes....long holes...short difficult holes....rough is intense....designed by those in cooperation with flip city designers....mainly a side arms dream, which is who it was designed by.....One thing...the course never lets up with keeping you interested in what is up next....much like flip....scorable....but tons of trouble and luck is always helpful.
Cons: teepads are coming.....occasional water issues on one hole....but oh well when you see what the course offers....
Other Thoughts: DONT pass this course up as you may be tempted to do when you are in Michigan checking out west coast courses.....I put this course on the to do list of must sees on the west side of MI....and think....it was #5 without teepads.....check out why :)

Great Course!

1    3/14/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: Pat G
Pros: The layout is exceptional. This time of year the water level is still down quite a bit, so no challenge crossing any streams. No bugs either. A chipmunk did try to mug me for some sunflower seeds, though. I can see why some reviewers complained about the rough, but once again this time of year there is no undergrowth. A brightly colored disc helps out alot, too. Hole 8 I thought was going to be real difficult, but I nearly aced it. Skipped off the top of the pine next to the hole and fell like 2 feet short. Pure luck, but I digress.
Cons: The cut logs and brush that have not been removed were tough to navigate through. The walk to #6 could be improved with a few more encouraging signs. Or you could play the alt holes, and you will end up right on track :). 16 was still missing the basket, so I played to the post on 17's tee. The descent on hole 13 was quite treacherous, a few strategically placed steps might do the trick.
Other Thoughts: A great forest setting with several 'lucky shot' holes. I have not really played that long, but I am a fast learner, and I like to think I have good taste. I gave it a 3.5 because of the unkempt rough in the second half of the course, and the missing basket. The elevation changes and the tight fairways mean you must have some semblance of disc control. This was my first time of many for this course, as I just moved to this town. I got a +12 with one birdie, and 4 par shots

very nice 24 hole dgc

1    11/21/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: Terry C
Pros: -well maintained,clean, overall nice park
- a long winding 24 hole layout
-fairly easy to find your way through the course, well marked with very nice accurate signs and markers.
-great mix of different types of holes, long,short,left,right always keeps you thinking about your next shot.
- i like the fact that even the easier holes have opportunity to bogey or worse becouse of some neat basket layouts.
-good baskets

Cons: -it could use cement tee pads ( right now it has carpet covered pads)
-some areas to the side of the fairways are a bit rough and covered with cut logs
-cut foliage could be cleaned up and the course could be broken in a little better, this will come with time.
-this wasnt a con for any of us, but this could be a hard park to walk with small kids or for the faint hearted who dont like walking up and down steep hills and paths, personally I like the exercise and unique nature feel the park has!
Other Thoughts: This is a wonderful park, beautiful scenery, the course is very fun, the up and down winding walkways through woods and fields are very cool, note: i did slip and fall a few times most likely due to me not being very careful on slippery uneven ground, we saw lots of walkers and hikers enjoying the park aswell. Small creeks and little water holes offer unique challenges on both your drives and your putts, each hole has its different tricks and turns. A very nice pavillion makes a great spot for cooking on breaks between rounds. The locals were very friendly and welcoming. overall just a great experience at a great disc golf park. I think just about any disc golfer from beginner to expert would like playing this course. You could come here with your dog or whatever and just walk the course and have a good time.

Hidden Gem

5+    10/9/2009   11/7/2009
Review By: discinboogs
This review was updated on 6/30/2011
Pros: Challenging and scenic, this course offers it all. Some signature looks in this gorgeous park. Quiet forest hosts 24 genius holes in a FREE park. Some hidden danger on the course makes the throws that much more entertaining. Elevation everywhere and excitingly difficult holes make this a great course to spend some quality time. Top of the line Mach 5 baskets. Signs have the hole that you're on and tell you where to find the next hole. Every hole has a marker/sign of some sort.
Cons: Teepads could use some work. I can see how if some golfers aren't paying attention, they could get off track after 1a, but the signage is there.
Other Thoughts: Branstrom is a favorite course of mine and the only thing I don't like is I don't live next door to it. By the way you don't have to tee from the carpet...

Happy Ending

2-4    11/7/2009   11/7/2009
Review By: MDeezy
This review was updated on 2/5/2012
Pros: Very nice park setting with mix of woods, fields, and elevation changes. Provides a good challenge using accurate placement shots. Last three holes (16, 17, and 18) are the best of the course, and a great way to end.
Cons: Course needs some work. Found it hard to navigate even with a map. Holes that cross water have no bridges, very steep inclines without stairs or trails. Alternate holes were poorly marked and cannot easily be avoided. Course can be very wet depending on the time of year and rainfall. The mix of carpet tee pads and very hungry bugs is a big downfall.
Other Thoughts: I personally think this course is good, but not great. With some work Branstrom could be exceptional. I have played this course a few times and found the wetness mixed with the carpet tee pads inconvenient. I also didn't like that the alternate holes could not easily be skipped. I think this is a great piece of land to have a course, I just wish the layout was a little better. If you are in the area, I think Whitehall DGC or Flip City is a better option.

SPOTTERS A MUST!

1    9/17/2009   9/18/2009
Review By: tomjulio
Pros: -SO MUCH VARIETY
-challenging and technical holes
-perfect use of the available terrain
-interesting carpeted/sand bag tees (great traction)
-cool blue plastic tee signs that stand out
-in a very well maintained park
-right down the street from the quaint downtown of Fremont
Cons: -THE ROUGH. UNFORGIVING. NUMERO UNO CON
-course layout super confusing without map
-next hole signs small and miss-able
Other Thoughts: This course is a super tough one to rate. One major pro, and super major con. But lets have at it.

This course is right down the road from downtown Fremont. Easy to find with signs that point the way. The park is well maintained and has bathrooms, picnic places, and a playground. Tee one is easy to find...but there are no maps and this will matter once you hit tee 6 and the alternates start.

VARIETY. Man, more than I have ever played. Through the woods, over creeks, over valleys, down hills, through an open field, around trees, by swamps. This course takes full advantage of the entire park. I could have just walked this course for it's uniqueness...well maybe, ok, no way could I walk by a basket without playing. Lengths range from short to long with well placed baskets. The course designers did this course proud. Word is that Flip City's Bill McKenzie had a hand in designing it.

Ok now, the MAJOR CON. The rough. Thick bushes, cattails by water, fern...every imaginable worst case rough scenario for a course. It's so bad that when I got to tee 3 I had to take a whiz, took five steps off the tee into the ferns, and stepped on a pink orc! It had mud on it so it must have been sitting there for awhile. Hole 7 I helped a kid (also playing alone) look for his tye-dye disc he lost in the brush...

***INTERUPT FOR A DG WARNING-DO NOT USE TYE-DYE IN DEEP ROUGH COURSES-DUH***

...needless to say I was not having a good time because I had never played the course and I was alone. Every other hole I was afraid I would lose a disc on a blind shot. It would take a lot of work to clear the rough but it would make this course an incredible course.

SUMMARY. Such a very cool course worth a visit. It's a short distance from Flip City and would compliment a play if you are in the area. Is it a destination stop like Flip is? no. Is it a course worth considering, indeed it is...and it is only a little elbow grease away from making it a 4 star course.