Round Rock, TX
Brushy Creek MUD DGC Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #5 (Taken 10/2006)

Great diversity

1    3/6/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: breakingday
Pros: Fun course with a wide range of shots. This is a great way to spend the day rounding off your game in all areas.
Cons: Crowded. This isn't a course you go to and expect to take your time, there's almost always someone in front of you and behind you.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the residential areas, though they're usually pretty nice about getting a lost disc out of their back yard.

5+    3/3/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: DrDipsomania
Pros: Solid design with wide tee shot variety, both in dog legs and distance. A few tight lines through the cedars, a few open shots across some fields, and a few blind shots. Great opportunities for aces/birdies. Nothing super-long for players with shorter arms. Fast playing and usually not too crowded. Great Northside alternative to Zilker due to its ease, playability, and brevity. Good flow to the course: ends where it started, right by the new parking lot.
Cons: Tee boxes are wretched, even when they're dry. The mix of dirt, gravel, and mulch make for very unsteady footing; coupled with that is the fact that they're all pretty well worn into the ground. They might make you over-conscious of your footing, which might have a negative effect on your release. Four holes cross over (or come close to) which can cause for a delay in play or an increase in the risk of being caught off guard by an errant throw. Tee markers are pretty crappy, especially in comparison to some of the other courses in the area. The distance and par are marked, but there's no indication of where the pin is; however, most of the holes are straightforward enough that there isn't a whole lot of confusion. Close to an apartment complex with a fence that's not easy to climb if your disc crosses it, and some houses with fences that aren't exactly delightful to scale; fortunately, it's only a very regrettable throw that will land you over. Fairly easy. None of the holes are difficult enough to make you want to come back and want to "conquer" them.
Other Thoughts: What's with the benches? Is it erosion, shifting soil, or were they just put in haphazardly? They're high, uneven, angled; maybe that was Round Rock's answer to Austin's keeping it weird campaign.

Great Variety

5+    4/5/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: destrokhan
Pros: There is a lot of variety to the course. BC has a great mix of short technical holes and long distance holes (nothing over 600ft. though) requiring a variety of shots. The course has a great layout and flows nicely dropping you off where you start. There aren't any water hazards and for the most part wind isn't an issue except on a few elevation holes. It's generally well maintained, at times overgrown but rarely. They've also added recycling for cans and plastic bottles which is a great idea and there are plenty of trash cans.
Cons: Some spots eat discs, especially holes 9 and 10, mainly 10 nicknamed the "Indian Burial Ground". There are plenty of thick brush and when there's enough rain overgrowth is common to make finding discs nearly impossible. Wind is a big issue on a few holes where you're throwing down a hill or over one but that's a given.
Other Thoughts: I play this course the most since it's relatively close to my house and it's fun and has plenty of hole variety. You should definitely stop by BC if you're in the Round Rock/Cedar Park area

Great course!!!

2-4    1/24/2010   1/26/2010
Review By: texaspride73
Pros: This course is well layed out in my opinion. A good variety of short and long shots. You wont throw your arm out on this one but you need good precision on some. The pictures on the site do this course no justice. I have played Cirlce C and Pease. I really liked Brushy(aka Cat Hollow) a lot more. One of the best I played in Austin area. They have layed out mulch and the greens around the basket are very nice. New parking lot was very nice too.
Cons: To be really honest I would have to say the only things I can say bad is the tee boxes are a bit rocky and there is no good layout of the holes when teeing off.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and will be playing it every time I am in Austin.

Good All Around Fun

5+    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: stevepetrik73
Pros: There is a lot to like about this course. Even on the shorted holes there is some risk involved like flying the green on 2 and missing left on 15 & 16. I love the risk reward offered on 17 & 18 and, contrary to some of the other reviews here, I LOVE "Birdie Alley" on the back side as an opportunity to make up for mistakes made prior to #13. They help me to keep my head in the game knowing I have a chance on the back 9 to pull out a good round if I have a few slips on the front. I like that the course rewards me with rounds under par when I manage it well (best is -6) and punishes me when I make some mental/mechanical errors (worst is uhh...let's say over par LOL). The 3 longest holes offer a chance to really air it out and MAN does it feel good when you get a good release on one or all of them...nothing feels quite like a monster drive.

Although 4&5 cross up with 12&13, the area is pretty open and I have never seen an instance where a player threw into traffic and it caused an issue. There are opportunities all over the course to see other players air it out, which is always fun. Ace runs on 1,2,3,7,9,13,14,15 and 18 all require precision and (while this is a lot of ace runs on one course...which I like), most of them will penalize you pretty heavily if you make an aggressive run at them and miss.

Which leads me to my favorite thing about this course - there is risk/reward on just about every hole.

Excellent use of what elevation changes are present. John designed the course with wind in mind and it definitely comes into play on 3, 4, 10, 11 and 13, 15, 16 (although the wind sometimes feels stronger than it actually is). I like that this kind of nuance is something you can only learn from playing many rounds out there.

I can get in 2 rounds in under 2 hours if there is light traffic and I can ALWAYS find a player/group to join up with when I head out there as a single.

There are nice benches on 10 of the holes and the newly installed recycling bins are a welcome addition.

As of last weekend, the rock pile beside the new parking lot (SWEET!) is now in the line-of-site on 18 making it much more challenging.
Cons: The only cons on this course are the Tee Boxes...which suck. If there aren't rocks protruding through them, they are rutted DEEP. Concrete pads are something the city needs to look at here FOR SURE!
Other Thoughts: The new parking lot screams of locals complaining about all the parking on the street. The park is located on the inside of a long sweeping curve in the road so I think it is a good idea but I would have MUCH rather seen them address a much bigger safety concern on the course by installing and/or at least re-grading the Tee Pads. In my humble opinion, I think the risk of someone twisting an ankle when teeing off far outweighs the possibility of someone getting hit by a passing car on the street.

This is however and will probably always be my favorite course in the north of town.

Not the most challenging or creative, but still a good time

2-4    8/10/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: skurf
Pros: -There are many "greens" that are built-up flat with substantial drop-offs either behind or to the side, or both. If your score is close during the last couple holes, those drop-offs behind the baskets can get a bit intimidating.

-Good variety of shots from open field shots to tighter wooded holes, but nothing too terribly long. There's one par 4 that turns right and runs along the treeline that can be dangerous if you anhyzer it too much.

-Decent flow except for having to cross a fairway after one of the holes.

-Good use of available man-made elevation changes that arise because of drainage design. A couple holes shoot down a hill, which is always welcome and a couple others are blind and shoot up and over man-made berms. Btw, be sure not to overshoot the blind Hole 2 by more than ten feet or you'll blow an easy birdie op by going down the hill beyond the green.

Cons: -Teepads are possibly the worst in Austin with many jagged rocks protruding on multiple teeboxes.

-The trees are mostly weed trees, aka cedars, which are short, provide no shade, and create a very thick underbrush for when you go off the fairway. Most of the course is in the sun so it's probably not the best summer course especially when the shaded Williamson County and Brushy Creek Sports Park courses are just around the corner.

-A few too many short holes that are too easy, especially on the back 9. I don't mind short holes, but there needs to be some sort of challenge to them, and there's a lot of shorter holes on this course that offer very little in the area of "challenge" other than being able to park an approach shot.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is an enjoyable course to play because it offers just enough challenge (on most of the holes) to make me feel satisfied when I do well. However, there are still about 5 holes that I would consider "filler holes" that really add nothing to the course. The only thing that saves some of these holes are the the slopes around the greens, which punishes you for not having precision drives and makes you think twice when putting towards the slope.

If you're in the area and haven't played Wilco then definitely play that course even if you have to drive right past this one. You can actually play this course pretty quickly and get a round in here and at the challenging 9 hole Brushy Creek Sports Park in the same amount of time it would take you to play 18 at Wilco.

Got some dirt on my sholder will you brush it off for me?

2-4    5/27/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Great elevation shots! Awesome turns. Not much water. Pretty quiet during the week. trails to every hole.
Cons: Tee boxes are dug out of rock. Unsafe footing! I throw from beside the box or behind. When grass is tall, its real tall. Wind can come into play on several holes.
Other Thoughts: I like this course. No too much of anything. Not terribly hard, but challenging enough to make me want to come back. I shot 7 over, an improvement from last time. I'm such an amateur.

A Lot of Fun

2-4    3/30/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: SpringDgLover
This review was updated on 8/4/2009
Pros: First of all I love this course. For someone like me who is a decent player but far from great it always offers a challenge while also offering many ace and birdie opportunities. It has a good amount of elevation changes with some pretty decent views of the surroundings. The park has not been busy the two times I played it and seems to move very quickly. I like the variety of holes with some large open holes to rip on and some tight technical holes as well.
Cons: I am hard pressed to say there is anything I dislike about this course. It is what pros or ams would consider "easy". But for someone like myself its the most fun I have playing disc golf. The only other issue I could see coming up with the course is the lack of parking as there is no parking lot and you have park on the street.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses. Yes its not as challenging as East Metro or Pease. Yes it can have some derivative holes. But for an overall fun laid back day of DG there is no better course in Texas.

2-4    1/11/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: biggio1
Pros: 18 holes, brushy trees, variety of shots. No water that I have ever seen, and the brush is not to dense. No very busy
Cons: Tee pads can get bad at times. A little confusing at first but you can pick it up rather quickly.
Other Thoughts: A fun play and some good ace runs. we all like ace runs.

Nice quick round

5+    2/3/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: Djza
Pros: I can agree with many here that for a course built in some retention ponds behind some apartments, it is pretty nice.

That being said, the park is more than just some open fields*cough cough*(Old Settlers) and takes good use of the trees in the Northwest corner.

I like the layout for some holes requiring good lines to avoid trees to actually being able to air it out every now and then.

Some ace runs make it fun and quick and also not too tough for beginners, with enough challenge to the adv. players.

I've always thought it pretty easy to find your way around out here, and there is plenty of shade and even benches on most tees. Some of the benches are set a little jankily, but at least they are there.
Cons: Having to walk in front of two tee boxes to get to hole 5 is a bit scary.

Rough ground can be pretty hard on discs.
13-15 seem pretty boring and repetitive for an experienced golfer.
Other Thoughts: For some reason I always manage to catch great sunsets out here. A round can be played quickly, allowing for extra holes either here or maybe up in Wilco, etc.
Not the best course in town, but not to be forgotten either.