Palmyra, IN
Buffalo Trace Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #7 (Taken 12/2012)

Great Course!

1    6/5/2014   6/5/2014
Review By: smitdavi
Pros: - This course had a great layout. Some open holes mixed in with some technical wooded holes.

- Because this is a state park the grounds are well maintained. When we went the grass was cut and it looked to be in tip top shape.

- This course had some beautiful scenery. It's set right up against a lake. Wish the water came more in to play but that is being nit picky.

- That baskets are good. Never had a problem with spit outs. They are Innova Discatchers.
Cons: - We had some confusion at times finding the next tee pad. Seems to be signs on about every 3rd hole. Sometimes it's pretty logical to find the next pad, other times it isn't.

- Parking is a pain in the rear. There is no designate disc golf parking. We ended up just circling the camp ground and took an empty camping space.

- The tee pads seemed a little short at time. This isn't a course that requires a big run up but you did find your self trying to spot the end of the pad on your 1st throws.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course. We'd definitely come bad. Was the perfect mixture of challenging vs. fun. My buddy and I shot a +2 on our first time playing the course. The rough wasn't too bad. We didn't really have a difficult time finding discs that went wayward. If your in the area stop by, you won't be disappointed.

Worth the Drive

5+    10/5/2013   4/25/2014
Review By: The Spleen
Pros: -Love the variety of basket types and positions.

-Long course that really puts you in the woods.

-Lots of terrain types to challenge everyone.
Cons: -No nearby parking.

-The amateur tees are made of rubber that gets terribly slick with any sort of moisture. We always play the pro tees to keep our feet under us.

-Signs at each hole need updated with both graphics and Par listings.

-If goes from fairway to rough pretty quickly. Probably need to wear long pants on this one, just in case you have to go off-roading.
Other Thoughts: It's a "Pro" for me, but may be a "Con" for others -- I like some of the "blind" tees that are along the course. You sometimes have to wander back and forth a little bit to figure out where the basket is, but you get there in the end.

Home of the Brave

5+    10/12/2009   10/13/2009
Review By: g1nked
Pros: Very technical course and family friendly clean and well maintained with a wide selection of shots from a few long open and a ton of wooded shots with low ceiling that requires a good shot selection. rollers flip, hyzers and anhyzers.
Cons: not to much to complain about maybe would like the park maitenance to ride thru the course with the misquitto fogger cart from time to time. Its near a big lake and the misquitos are thick on certain holes. Not a deal breaker just bring your own OFF
Other Thoughts: great campgrounds, other activities for entire family staff and everyone you meet is awesome toward sport.

Early Fall

1    10/5/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: DitchBall
Pros: Challenging course, with plenty of trees and minor hills. This was my first time playing the course and I found the layout very simple to follow. Low canopy makes many of the holes challenging. For bonus points, a few holes have great views of the lake, but it never is in play. The course appears to be well maintained.
Cons: Very few. A garbage can or two would be a nice addition.
Other Thoughts: We camped at the park. Well worth the short trip from Louisville.

2-4    9/12/2009   9/17/2009
Review By: dr.chainslove
This review was updated on 9/23/2009
Pros: Very well maintained course in a great park. Brilliant layout. Very forgiving rough (the place is too well-kept for those nasty, thorny, thick rough areas to exist!). great variety of shots and angles through defined, tight fairways. It's tough. I felt good about my last outing here of a 4+ (playing everything as a 3). That's what I shoot on a good day at the beast-of-a-course Charlie Vettiner Park!!!
Cons: concrete tee pads are great but are a little short. the walk to the course around the lake is a bit of a hike. hole 6 plays way too close to a popular walking path and some park benches. a family was hanging out on the benches, thus forcing me to layup my drive to avoid decapitating a small child (probably not a problem on the weekdays or offseason when the park isnt crowded). These are very minor complaints. This course is otherwise a very satisfying play!
Other Thoughts: Most of the course is cut through a pine forest (a rarity in this part of the country). I love that each hole has a unique shape. Some holes have multiple approaches from the tee to the basket carved through the many trees. My trusty tomahawk has no value here as most holes have a ceiling of 15 ft or less! Although the distances are shorter than many other courses, the need for accuracy and placement will still have you hucking your disc hard and low. For a shorter course, you still wont find many finesse holes with this setup. Well worth the trip. turn off hwy 150 at the Subway and park on the gravel lot on the end of the street. Walk around the lake to the left. start at hole 6 and end at 5 if you're coming from that direction. avoid the park entrance fee and save some serious walking.

Nice Additions

5+    7/3/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: skottyb
Pros: Very nice layout, in a nice park. Very good use of terrain, and a beautiful view of a nice lake. Sat by the parking lot and talked too a worker at Buffalo Trace, she seemed very interested in any feedback I had to give. It was all positive too say the least but I reassured her that what they had was a great course. You can tell the locals really take pride in this course, so kudos too them.

One positive too this course is that it makes you use every shot in your bag. It had been awhile since I have had the chance to go too a course and use a thumber, backhand roller, forehand roller, sidearm, forehand, & backhand all in the same round. I thought that was pretty cool, it will keep your on your toes for sure.
Cons: The tee pads weren't completed when we were there, but they were well on there way. They seemed kind of short at times but I wouldn't necessarily call it a con.
Other Thoughts: I had played this course right when it was initially put in the ground, I was a bit disappointed with it then. Now that it is all its glory I would definitely recommend this too anyone. I am always happy too see more courses go up in Southern Indiana, good job too all of the locals and whomever had a hand in this course. Your work is definitely appreciated.

Beautiful setting, good challenge

2-4    3/20/2009   3/21/2009
Review By: Hamilton
This review was updated on 9/28/2009
Pros: I had heard mixed reviews about this course, but I decided I wanted to hit it up even if some had said it was a short boring course. Man I'm glad I did, because it is a very nice course in a beautiful park that has lots of other activities.

Memorable holes:
3 - Tight fairway with several trees, takes a well-placed drive to lay up for two.
7 - Hyzer to some rows of trees, then back to the basket, nice accuracy challenge.
9 - Out of some trees, up over a rise the the basket, tough to keep it right enough (due to trees on the right of the fairway) to not fade out left of the basket.
12 - Throw between some grown-up foliage, down a small hill into the woods back to the basket, really neat playing hole.
14 - Down a hill, then sweep right back up a hill, tough tough annie shot.
15 - Ate my lunch, low ceiling tunnel shot down a slope, if you don't hit it you're shooting 4+.
18 - Wide open 500'+, but row of trees down the right side keeps you from throwing a big S-curve shot.

Signs were great, and the course flowed pretty well, I didn't have any problems finding the next tees without a map. Baskets are in great shape, and there are restrooms and plenty of parking on premises.

I also really like the use of wood chips around the baskets to keep them from getting all muddy and nasty.
Cons: I guess the biggest con is the short holes...18 is by FAR the longest, the others struggle to hit 300 feet. That is not a horrible thing, and it makes good use of the land available.

There used to be rubber tee pads when I first reviewed, which have now been replaced with concrete for the pro tees, oops now that is a PRO!.

The only other cons I can think of is that the parking is a decent hike from the course, although there is a nice walking path around the lake to the course. Also if you go in the spring through fall, and get there after 10am or so, you have to pay a few bucks to get in.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, I highly suggest this course. It is a little off the highway, but it's good highway the whole way there, and only 15 minutes off of I-64. The technical holes might be rough on a beginner, but overall it is a very satisfying course.

2-4    2/28/2009   3/1/2009
Review By: Russell Gore
Pros: Very beautiful setting, much like Otter Creek Park once was, with the only difference being that this park has a huge lake. Lots of very technical shots through low ceilings and tight rows of trees. Several elevation changes play into shots. There are also several blind shots on this course to test your skills. Plenty of camping spots located walking distance from the course that would come in handy during summer months. All and all this is one of the funner courses I have played in the area and will be bringing more people to play. Whoever designed this course gets an A+.
Cons: Only 2 to speak of.....
It has Rubber mat tee pads that I like to twist ankles on.
And has a huge lake that only comes into play on one hole, and that's only if you shank it to the right. I personally would like to see a huge over the lake shot put in somewhere on this course. We need somewhere to lose our discs on this course!
Other Thoughts: I played here for the first time after hearing about it from Martin Young. This is becoming one of his favorite courses and I can see why. I will most defiantly be coming back more often now. With it only being 15 miles off the exit ramp, it is well worth the extra few minutes of driving time. Besides now there are 3 courses all in close vicinity to travel too. This is a great course and would recommend it to anyone of any caliber.

I would love to see a huge PDGA tournament here sometime this year. Make it a 2 day, 4 round tournament and offer camping. I would bet that it would pull in a lot of people. I would also like to see a few leagues offered at this course this year!!!!

1    8/20/2008   8/20/2008
Review By: danhal87
Pros: This is a fun course with beautiful scenery. Definitely accuracy is more important than distance on this course. It is the best marked/signed course I've been to, and the easiest to find your way around. Great use of the land available. Nice tee pads. Lots of geese on the lake!
Cons: A few holes consist of shots that no matter what your skill it takes plain old luck to get a good shot. It's a short course.
Other Thoughts: Par markings on signs are ridiculous (pretty much the whole course is par 4 & 5 if you go by them) and the scorecards and signs have not a single same distance on them. Awesome course.