Abilene, TX
Cal Young Park Share
Uploaded By: larrod25 Hole #16 (Taken 7/2009)
3 / 225ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

My First Course

5+    8/31/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: mavsfan
Pros: Quite a bit of variety in the course
16 is a signature with a cluster of large oaks surrounding the basket: DO NOT GO RIGHT!
Opportunities for Aces and length for the big arms to stretch out in the same venue. Enough water to make you cautious at specific points without being constantly paranoid.
Cons: I've lost discs on this course for no other reason than lack of consistent maintenance on 8. Insects of the blood sucking kind inhabit the area and travel in packs, which makes playing in summer a real challenge in choosing between heat stroke or malaria. The course is a bit dated as far as baskets and tee boxes go but they are still in good condition.
Other Thoughts: This was the course where I learned to play. I was not sure how I felt about playing an "island" surrounded by concrete (12). After playing a course with REAL water I realized what it did. I was NEVER afraid to try a shot when learning the game. When I took that mindset to East Texas/Louisiana it cost me discs. Speaking of which, I Learned to play about 20 years ago on this course and took my son to play on Labor Day while we were in town for an extended family event. I drilled a tree on 14 with my drive using Blue Turnover by Frisbee. The plastic is not as good as basic Innova/Discraft varieties and it broke/cracked on the dome just inside the grip.

A pang of bitter-sweetness as I really missed my crew that I played with in college, but did finish the back 9 with a local who was running through solo and was more than patient with my son, who is just learning to play, when he joined us. I remember this as one of the constants of the course during my time as a regular.

Into the Great Wide Open

5+    8/31/2014   9/3/2014
Review By: rockdocm
This review was updated on 9/5/2014
Pros: 1. Easy course to follow, despite the lack of markers showing the route to the next hole.
2. Holes are based on skill and not happenstance.
3. The water affects several holes in terms of the end of your shot, and not simply the initial drive.
4. Not too crowded except on Saturdays for the mini.
5. A great course for after-dark play.
6. A good park for dogs as there is no leash restriction, and there is water for the dogs along holes 9 through 16.
7. Have played this course 100+ times, and have never seen the police hassle players. The maintenance and fueling for police vehicles is relatively near so they do drive past the park, but never seem to focus on those with dogs, alcohol (not saying make dramatic toasts in view of the police), or late night play.
8. Hole #9 has reasonable protection from the wind for smokers.
Cons: 1. Abilene is very windy & this is a mostly open course.
2. Not enough trees, shade or holes that are not fairly straight forward (except for the hazard of wind which is present 4 out of 5 times you play the course).
3. "Stickers" or "goat-heads" are present on several holes, especially late summer and fall--important for those with dogs.
4. This course is not flat, but for all practical purposes it is "flat."
Other Thoughts: The review that follows is very much on the mark. This is a good course for big arms, but still has 4-6 holes for aces. I really enjoy this course, but wind, goat-heads, and lack of elevation changes are important to note. Some holes have 3 placements for the baskets, and lately the course managers are frequently (sometimes more than once a week) changing the basket placements.

Best place in town for a full 18

5+    3/27/2014   3/28/2014
Review By: YoAdrian
Pros: Very nice course that's been around for awhile. Lots of open holes to try new discs or go for a bomb drive. Couple of holes in some trees that makes you work on placement. All holes have at least 2 basket placements. All have signs with basket placements and distance to each. All have tee pads that are decent. Uses the river on a couple holes. Has a hole completely engulfed by trees (you'll see.) had practice putting basket by parking. There's also a full map of the course before you start. Fun course that I play all the time.
Cons: There's a couple holes right along a road that you could throw into. Very possible to lose a disc on a couple holes if your not careful. Although very open for drives, does get repetitive. Don't see the baskets moved to the other placement very often so I don't know when they do get moved..not a lot of parking by hole 1.
Other Thoughts: This is easily the best course for a full 18 in Abilene. It's nice and has all the signs and baskets for every hole. Fun to come try out new discs and work on your game. Hole 16 with the trees surrounding the basket is very unique. Love this course, just wish they'd update it. Worth playing.

Nice 18 Course with Multiple Basket Placements

2-4    4/23/2013   4/23/2013
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course offers several interesting holes, with two basket placements for most holes, and three placements at Hole 12, including an 852' monster. Hole 13 has a basket placement out on a small peninsula that brings the water very much into play. I bounced a disc into the pond, but that's DG. Hole 16 is offers only a single basket placement, but that basket is buried in the center of a tight grove of trees which results in a unique hole.

Tee pads are smallish tapered concrete pads, and tee signs are very good.

This is a mostly open course with scattered trees. Much of the challenge comes from the wind. I played in a 20-25 mph north wind, and imagine playing with the typical summer southeast wind would be completely different.
Cons: Navigation can be a little confusing. The tee signs show the possible basket placements, but some combinations can leave you wondering which of two adjacent baskets are for a particular hole. Several baskets have no number so you may be guessing even after holing out.
Other Thoughts: I've added files showing the map of the course and the hole distances. Printing the map out ahead of time will help with navigation.

Good COurse

5+    8/16/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: DiscGolfer16022
Pros: -One of the best course in town
-Has a mixture of wide open, tight and technical holes
-Easy for a beginner, yet hard enough for a pro
-Pins moved monthly for more of a challange
Cons: -There is always a cross wind in hole Six, Nine, Ten and Eleven
-Not enough parking near Hole 1
Other Thoughts: its a fun course to play when you have the extra time. the layout uses the land as best as they are able to.

Enjoyed it

1    1/6/2012   1/6/2012
Review By: Paulie
Pros: 18 textured concrete tee pads
Good baskets
Well maintained grounds
Lots of chances to throw flat out drives and it still helps to have a flick
Cons: I can't complain.
Other Thoughts: I played this only once while visiting friends. It was very windy and these are very open shots. Certainly a challenge.

The 18 baskets are fit nicely into the area available.

Fellow DGers were friendly.

My Favorite Abilene Course

5+    11/20/2011   11/28/2011
Review By: Supraxlr8
Pros: This course is a great all around course with a variety of long, short, easy, difficult holes, etc. It is my home course so I am biased a little but I continue to find that it is enjoyable to play even though I have played it now a couple hundred times at least? All of the holes but one are capable of being made with 2-3 shots. I find it a challenge to try and birdie all of the holes now. I like the fact that it is open overall with few trees so that I can make very long drives and if I throw my disc perfect whether hyzer, annie, or helix I can make it within putt range...but only with a perfect shot on a lot of the holes. All of the holes have some sort of mild to moderate challenge such as going around a tree, over water, into trees, narrow fairway on hole 12, etc. But not buried in or past a forest of trees as on some courses. I don't find that fun, just ridiculous, and in those cases it makes it impossible to ever birdie as a result of a skillful drive. Only a couple of the holes are really difficult to consistently par if you play a decent game.
Cons: Some of the tee pads could be aligned better or could have been open V shaped to accommodate multiple basket positions. I absolutely hate hole 8 when the basket is placed back by the creek. It is often windy...but I have learned to play with the wind well as a result. I like the old school double baskets, unfortunately many of these have been replaced with single chain baskets that are really not as nice I don't think.
Other Thoughts: Pretty decent course for Abilene. I have not played a lot of courses, maybe a dozen or so but many I have not liked compared to this course.

Solid Overall Course

5+    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: bmw06g
Pros: Semi-challenging course: strong winds, good mix of distances, several long holes (one 700+ ft.), mandos, water (legitimately affects at least four holes), different basket positions, and several holes which require overhand and/or unique throws.
Cons: Not really a lot of problems, but definitely could be more challenging and a little bit less open.
Other Thoughts: Hole 16 is an awesome hole, with the basket in the middle of a HUGE tree. There is a window through the tree, but it's a tough throw.
Cal Young is an overall solid course, especially for Abilene, but it could use some updating.

5+    5/20/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: Chef Joe
Pros: Great to test out new discs. It's got a lot of distance holes and a few stuck in and around trees. Great place to go in early summer and go fishing for the discs lost over the winter.
Cons: If you can't play in the wind, I wouldn't suggest this course. Most of the holes are long and open, and the only real challenge is fighting the wind.
Other Thoughts: Pretty fun course over all, and they hold weekly mini tournaments.

Blah

5+    11/4/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: Stogie12
Pros: Good to go practice your drives and work against the wind
Cons: Wow, this course is boring. A couple of trees and some distance, but other than that nothing at all.
Other Thoughts: They recently moved the tees, which I got excited about, but turns out they just moved most of them like 50 feet to the left or right. This course needs a revamp.