Plainwell, MI
Calvary DGC Share
Uploaded By: jonesydesign Hole #5 (Taken 7/2012)

Not as Bad as I've Heard, Fun Safari Opportunites

1    10/4/2014   10/4/2014
Review By: Central Scrutinizer
Pros: Easy location from US-131.

Every inch of the small property was used well. Designer did a decent job getting something from very little available. There is a smattering of trees and shrubs and they were used to create some semblance of purpose from the tee most of the time.

Routing/navigation was good. It was easy to find where I was supposed to go.

Baskets are acceptable. 8-year-old Chainstars (I think).

It's intended for kids, beginners and recreational players and does a pretty good job for that purpose.

Experienced players will be fine with a putter and a mid or two and might enjoy a carefree round with a beginner friend. That's exactly what I was doing there.

There is a wonderful opportunity to play "safari" golf here. (See "other thoughts.")
Cons: Rubber tee mats aren't the greatest. Most of them had puddles after a small amount of rain. Since I wasn't there for a serious round, it was perfectly acceptable to just tee off as close to them as possible.

The freeway is right there, and if you hate traffic noise, that will be a major con for you.

Flat terrain.

I didn't see a proper place to relieve myself...

If you're an experienced player looking for a challenge, the standard 9-hole layout isn't it.
Other Thoughts: I've heard many people poo-poo this course as something not worthy of visiting, and now that I've finally gotten here, I disagree, especially if you live in the area. It's probably not worth your time if you're from out of town and are only here for a limited time, however.

I come from a time and a place 25 years ago when we were thankful for ANY course, would drive for over an hour to play something different, and this is a nice little place to play a quick round or take your friends for their first time. I would be ecstatic if I were a nearby resident and had something like this where I could grab a putter, a Stratus and a Roc and knock out 18 holes in 30 or 40 minutes after work or something.

Here's the bonus. With the tees and baskets shoe-horned into such a small property and the available spaced-out clusters of vegetation, it's a perfect place to play "safari" golf! I was here during bad weather and had the place to myself, so here's what I did to make a few holes over 300' and have a little extra fun. It actually flows decently too...

(1) #1 Tee to #2 Basket
(6) #9 Tee to #7 Basket
(7) #6 Tee to #2 Basket
(8) #3 Tee to #7 Basket
(9) #6 Tee to #9 Basket

This was more like a -2 round for me where everything *should be* an easy deuce in the standard layout.

Don't do this, of course, if there are people all over the place, and if you're not confident in keeping your throws out of the apartment parking lot to the north.

Nice little nine holer

1    9/20/2013   9/20/2013
Review By: hevyevie
This review was updated on 9/21/2013
Pros: A nice short course with many ace opportunities. It was well groomed making a lost disc near impossible. Well signed and easy to follow. Laid out in a nice fashion to where you finish by where you started. Excellent tee markers with bag holders, and trash bags. Very little grafitti. Not much litter. Good baskets. Hole 8 had two tee positions. Not very crowded. Easy access and good parking.
Cons: It was a really short course using every inch of space available. Not exactly the most challenging course ever, but is an excellent beginners course. If there were a lot of people playing it would be crowded quick. The tees were uneven and had a rubber mat over dirt. Most holes were the same in length. Not very scenic as you're playing in everybodys back yard and right next to the highway. There was a fire pit in the middle of the fairway on 8.
Other Thoughts: It is an awsome course for the beginner, or an amatuer looking for an ace race. If you're in the area and have 45 minutes to throw a quick 9 this is your course. The play is so fast you might just play 2 rounds to get another ace!