Three Lakes, WI
Uploaded By: timg

Baskets have been added!

1    8/2/2013   7/18/2014
Review By: Mocheez
Pros: The course is on the grounds of a Lutheran Camp. They have a very friendly and welcoming staff, it is free to play (although I recommend a donation) and they have discs available to borrow if you are new to the sport. The course winds in and out of a beautiful pine forest with little to no underbrush, making the experience more enjoyable. Time and energy is spent throwing discs instead of searching for them. There is excellent use of elevation... valley to valley, hill to hill, uphill, downhill, etc. I can only remember one wide open filler hole... the rest required a variety of technical throws, nothing terribly difficult, but still plenty of challenge for an intermediate/advanced player.
Cons: The tee's were dirt with two brown posts on either side to mark the end line. One post has the hole # and the other has an arrow showing the route of the fairway. But there is plenty of room to thrown and the ground was smooth. The camp was fairly empty when I arrived, so I didn't run into any problems with camp activities blocking the fairways but I could see where this would be a problem when the camp is in full attendance. Without a course map, it was somewhat difficult to navigate but the walks between holes were short and navigation would be no problem the second time through.
Other Thoughts: This was a great experience, the staff and campers were friendly and I will certainly be stopping again the next time I am travelling to northern WI.

nice course/no baskets

1    9/1/2009   5/1/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Quite a scenic course.
Pine forest used for much of the course; and these are larger pines than the norm. (Much of the time, pines seem to be harvested long before they are this big.)
The use of elevation here is top caliber as well. A number of shots from one ridge to another. Or, from the top of a ridge to the bottom; through the pine forest.
Even on the more open holes; trees are incorporated into the design in a fine manner.
In other words....THERE IS SOME PRETTY FINE DESIGN going on here.
The personnel at the camp were very friendly. They gave us the go ahead to play (even though there were a fairly significant amount of camp attendees in attendance). Two different group counselors visited is as we played and asked how things were going; were we having fun, etc.
The picture on the home page is hole #1 ( believe). This is an uphill toss and gives a good idea of the terrain and visuals.
As you will note from the hole footage, this is not a pitch and putt; but a real course. A few 400 ft. bombers to air it out on.
There is road in play on at least one hole; just behind a down hill pin. If you're playing this o.b., it adds another layer of toughness to course.
Cons: THIS IS AN OBJECT COURSE. Poles with a chain attached at the bottom; @ 2 1/2 foot long. I have no idea what the chain is for???
We played hitting the poles. I and another in our party of three began playing on object courses; when there were very few baskets available. So, for us, it was a bit of a walk back in time. With that said, it's tough to enjoy this style these days.
One of my playing partners used a trick we used to use all the time in the old days; and that is; to throw to the bottom of the pole and slide it into it. Just doesn't seem right by today's standards.

We had to skip one hole due to camp attendees using fairway for a class of some sort.

There is an outdoor chapel in the middle of one fairway. You drive directly over all of the wooden benches/pews. No one there on this day; but I imagine there are often (especially on Sundays?) Even with no one there, it was slightly disconcerting to be chucking a disc with a huge wooden cross in play! (At the same time; this was a well designed hole from a pure throw stand point and was also interesting, because of the strange features, not usually seen).
Natural tees.
Other Thoughts: I am one who finds it difficult to give courses the low end of the rating scale. However, the object course scenario just doesn't cut it anymore. I pointed out that this course is designed well and is quite scenic and taken care of; but, I feel that just about any discer that is not playing one the first courses they've ever played; or is at the camp attending for camp reasons; will find this to be a "let's enjoy this the best we can, but get 'er done, as quickly as we can, to move on to something with baskets."

Very Nice course

1    9/9/2009   3/15/2010
Review By: matrathvy
Pros: This course uses the elevation changes two OR three times in one hole. You could start on the bottom of the hill, and then the hole is on the other side of the hill. Also a hole that is on either side of a creek valley. Trees are abundant and used very well.
Cons: Not a typical basket based hole system, object play is the case here. Makes the putting process VERY easy.
Other Thoughts: The course is on the campus of a summer camp. Never have been there while camp was in session, hope that it is still open to the public during camp times.

Camp Luther

1    7/27/2008   9/27/2008
Review By: clearwaterdetail
Pros: Clean nicely maintained course. Good variety of shots and elevation changes. Other golfers are all very helpful.
Cons: NO BASKETS!!! poles with a chain on the dirt. You have to shoot at the ground around the "basket" If you can touch your disc with this piece of chain its in!?!?!?!? Hard to navigate. We missed a few and threw at the wrong POLE a few times. And my son had played this course just a few days before. Was a frustrating course to play.
Other Thoughts: Love this resort and its ability to make you feel at home. I would recomend going to Camp Luther for the WHOLE experience of it. Disc golf is just one of the many things to do.