Bremerton, WA

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Great use of space

1    4/23/2014   4/23/2014
Review By: nathani
Pros: Tight course with good use of elevation change. A good mix of open, tight, up, down. Rotating pin positions adds to replayability. Terrain is clear and walkable, not too much under brush to lose your disc in. Excellent concrete tee pads with benches, posts and garbage cans at nearly every hole. Signage is also very good, with hole info on every hole as well. Practice target out front with tables and playground. A well maintained course.

Some put the swampy areas in the cons, but I think it adds to the pressure and creates a hazard that isn't going to swallow your disc, just get it dirty. These areas are usually visible from the tee.
Cons: No big distance holes; all holes are par 3. Parking seems a little disorganized.
Other Thoughts: West Sound DGA is tops in my books! Can wait to play the other pin positions.

A great time on a great course

2-4    1/13/2014   1/30/2014
Review By: b-mart
Pros: NAD Park is a prime example of what Northwest disc golf is all about. You're playing through an old growth forest with very little underbrush. It's pretty quiet and serene, even though it sits right next to the major highway of the area. With cement tee pads, challenging lines, quality baskets, and multiple tees and pin placements, this course offers something for nearly everyone. The reds offer birdie opportunities and ace runs for the more experienced players, and aren't too frustrating for newer players. Once you reach the point where you're bored with the reds, the blues bring in a whole new challenge. I haven't played them myself yet, so I can't speak to how they differ from the reds, but they offer longer approaches at the very least. I've never seen this course crowded either, which is nice when you play solo or with small groups.

The layout is very well thought out and uses the land available to challenge any type of throw. You have a little bit of everything to challenge your game, from tight fairways to uphill shots, downhill left turning fairways to flat right turning ones, and everything in between. There aren't any long walkouts, and the fairways don't really encroach on each other. There are random mandos on the course that you would REALLY have to shank a drive to miss, but most of these are well thought out as well. All mandos are clearly marked, and there are plenty of "next tee" signs and bag hangers scattered throughout the course.

Finally, this course is extremely accessible, as it is less than 100 yards east of the Austin Dr exit.
Cons: The length and tightness of the fairways could be a con to some. This type of course fits my game and my arm just fine, but I could see people getting bored if they want the chance to really air one out. A lot of these are mid and putter holes for the higher level of golfer. That's not me though, so I don't consider this a con. If you do? That's why I included this in "cons".

The course can be a bit confusing for a first time visitor, as a lot of the signage on the teepads is missing. The navigation is fine, but it would be nice to know exactly where you're supposed to be throwing to without necessarily having to walk the hole ahead of time.
Other Thoughts: A course like this that has multiple pin placements in blind locations is awesome. However, it would be nice if they could find some way to let you know which placement the pin is in. As in, put a marker at the teepad that states which one you're throwing to, and change that whenever the placement changes. That way you could have signage on the pad that shows both possibilities, but then lets you know which one is the reality. I guess they'd have to actually replace the missing signs before doing this though.

NAD is one of my favorite courses that I've played. It fits my range well and I can score low, but it's still challenging enough to keep me coming back for more. It holds the distinction of being my lowest score through 18 in the state (my -7 in Indiana will be tough to beat with my skill set), and will likely be the first 18 that I score below par on. Once that happens, and once that becomes a regular thing, I'll just switch to blues and keep on doing it. That's why NAD is so fun. It's challenging enough for any level of player.

Wonderful picturesque Pacific Northwest course.

2-4    8/18/2013   8/18/2013
Review By: Greg Landon
Pros: Absolutely beautiful course in the woods. Minimal undergrowth makes finding discs fairly easy on most holes. Very fun use of elevation changes without making it a huge hike.
Cons: Holes 3 and 8 have some mud hazards to avoid until mid summer, but not a huge problem.
Other Thoughts: My first introduction to disc golf was at this course in a chance encounter with some of the locals when I stopped at this park with my kids. We have been hooked since, and its one of our favorite family activities now. I would be here at least once a week if I lived closer.

Great Course

5+    5/24/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: medikated
Pros: -Beautiful layout. Dual tee pads and basket placements,allows player to choose level of challenge. Not hard to navigate, keep an eye out for next tee arrows/signs. Everytime I've played this course it's never crowded. Locals are super nice. Everything is well maintained and kept clean.
Cons: -I have nothing bad to say.
Other Thoughts: If you're looking to throw some monster shots this isn't the place. Distance isn't used here as a challenge /obstacle. 'Threading the needle' through trees on nearly every hole is the challenge.
Anyway, this is probably my favorite course in the Puget Sound area and if you live in the area or you're visiting I suggest to make the effort to play here.

5+    5/30/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: Greenbowlpacker
Pros: Fun. Well maintained. Good layout. I like just about everything about this course. I typically play thurston, mason, pierce, and kitsap counties on a regular basis and I enjoy this one the most I'd say. The tees usually have seating and/or a place to put your bag. Most holes have good character. There are a few straight shots, but the trees provide enough trouble to make any straight on shot involve some element of strategy. There are lots of elevation changes.
Cons: The signage could use some work and updating.
Other Thoughts: Fairly easy to stay on top of discs. Don't forget to bring a towel!

changes to 13 weak--RETHINK!

5+    6/6/2013   5/10/2013
Review By: longandwrong
This review was updated on 6/7/2013
Pros: course is still the most relaxed and fun course in the area. Love all the options with different pads and basket locations. Right now playing all the short baskets. This course seems like you should get a -18, all birdies but it has a ton of surprises if your throw is off even an inch.
Cons: The new 'red' pad OR the new short location for the basket for hole #13 doesn't work for me. Makes the hole cheap. CAN I SAY, I WAS WRONG ON THE NEW #13! After playing this hole a number of times since...I now think it's a fun Par 3 hole with two different approach shots. You could make a birdie very easily and maybe bang some chains! I like throwing a backhand hizer and then putt for the bird! YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY IT!
Other Thoughts: Still looking to see a long basket location for hole #1 and a 'blue' tee pad for #2 hole. It will make this course totally great. If all the baskets are in the long and you play all the 'blue' pads...get ready this is a championship course.

1    2/23/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Josh Heideman
Pros: Very challenging love that there lots of different elevations. It was harder for me because of the multiple doglegs rights. Very laid out with maps at every hole.
Cons: Not very long I am use to shelton springs and can have a 300+ foot drive and still be 100+ away from the basket. Lots and lots of trees and these trees move lol.

Ruggedly Refined

5+    2/16/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: RawwDawwg
Pros: A challenging course carved through the mist of a forest. A variety of trees and big timber makes for a visually pleasing enviroment. The terrain provides many distinct holes which challenge the golfer to be inventive with their shotmaking.

Alot of work has been put into making the course a pleasure to play. Concrete tees, racks to hang bags from & plenty of large trees cut to provide a table or a place to sit.
Cons: Those with big arms won't find a lot of space to let loose with long drives.

Errant throws on some holes can result in long searches to locate a wayward disc.
Other Thoughts: The second hole is one of my favorites... I like driving from an elevated tee & the visual of following my disc as it hopefully glides down the fairway and hooks towards the basket.

Great PNW course

5+    9/16/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: jophus21
Pros: Where to begin! This course is a shining example of what a woods disc
golf course should aspire to be. The tees are nice, flat, cement, with
just enough grip to keep you from slipping even in the inclement weather
that this area is famous for. There are two tees on every hole that
really add to the repeat playability of this course. There are also two
pin positions on every hole except number 1, and the pins are either
farther away or distinctly more difficult on almost every hole. NAD
Park from the red tees on short pins is one of the easier courses I've
played and is super newbie friendly; while NAD Park from the blues on
long pins will challenge even the most seasoned woods course veteran.
The atmosphere of the course reminds me of something off of The Princess
Bride with its moss draped, old growth forest full of cedar and douglass
fir trees. The markings and signage are awesome, even with the
difficulties associated with maintaining it during the rainy season.
There are plenty of trash cans spaced out through the course, nice cut
stumps or a hanger on every hole makes sure your bag will stay clean,
and there are even ash trays on most holes with screens over them to
keep people from treating them like trash cans. A few of my favorite
holes are 8 on shorts from the red, 11 on longs from the red, 16 on
shorts from either tee and 5 in any arrangement. The course is free
like all courses in the area; they have a board that tells about
upcoming events that is actually updated regularly; and there is a lost
disc drop box that has facilitated the successful return of several of
my discs.
Cons: The only issues I can find with this course are minor ones: There can be mud on hole 2, the left side of 3, the right side of 8, and pretty much all of 18. I realize there have been some attempts to mitigate this, but due to the long rainy season here in the PNW, that's just the way it goes. The short tee for the long pin on 16 is also really short, and I usually end up stepping off on my drive. The fairway of hole number 6 borders on the tee of hole 7, which can lead to some dangerous shots, especially off the long tee.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course, I know the West Sound DGA spends a lot of volunteer time making sure this course stays that way. Keep up the great work guys, and I'll keep calling this my favorite Washington course!

Must Play again and again

5+    9/5/2012   9/7/2012
Review By: ajjrt
Pros: This course is great for all levels of play and all ages. Has multiple boxes and pins placements. West Sound Disc Golf Assoc. does a great job moving everything around to give everyone a great experience. Has good park bathrooms. Great views, great hike in the woods. Playing by myself I can do the course in under an hour if I'm pressed for time.
Cons: crowded course...probably the most popular course in Kitsap county. Need to finishing blue box on #2 and adding another pin placement spot for #1.
Other Thoughts: Love all the tournaments and mixed doubles play. Enjoy your time here then head 8 miles to Bud Pell or Fairgrounds for another great round.

< Prev 1 2 3 4