Chapel Hill, NC
UNC DGC Share
Uploaded By: KenanFlagler01 Hole #3 (Taken 7/2015)

One of the best in the Triangle

2-4    12/6/2012   12/6/2012
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great mix! Elevation changes. Left, right, straight. Hole shapes. Open vs. wooded. Short and long. A water hole. I don't feel like there any "throw-away" holes (we need to get 1 more so we have 18....).
- This course is worn (other then 18), but not worn-out. There are benches at many of the holes. Concrete teepads for all holes. There are trash-cans (it's a clean park). If you know how to read the "tracks", you can find your way.
- I think what is best about this course is the overall design. The open holes are long - so you are rewarded for airing it out, and have the room to do so. The shorter holes are wooded, and reward accurate shots. They had a great piece on land to work with, and utilized it to it's fullest.
Cons: - The signs are adequate, but not great. It seems like there are out of date for some holes. Probably back in the day, they were good - now with the newer signs on many courses they are sub-par.
- Course flow - not the best. If you play regularly, it's probably not a big deal. For visitors, make sure you bring a map (if possible). The challenging transitions - 7-8: halfway down the fairway to the left, look for the little plank bridge. 15 to 16: look for the low orange sign marking the path in the woods to the right, about half-way down the fairway. 17-18: head back towards the basket for 15. Thanks for the paper signs. Hopefully some permanent ones get installed. 18 to 1: walk around the tennis courts to the right - you're heading towards the spot where the road that you can see coming down the hill hits the bottom.
Other Thoughts: - I have played starting at 1 and starting at 9. I prefer 9 - you get a little easier hole to start on.
- I think they have moved baskets around, so some of the numbers may not be correct. Don't be thrown by this. When I played, there weren't really places where you can get confused (maybe 9 - you might see 7, but if you look at the map on the tee, it's very straightforward).
- I don't particularly like the new hole 18. With the development of the high-ropes course, I see why they moved it, but that old hole was better then the long, straight tunnel shot. When I played, baskets were in both short and long positions, and I didn't see the long one from the tee - I was really disappointed - the short basket (don't know the distance, no tee sign) is a short, tight ace run. The long almost doubles the distance and puts the basket slightly to the right. To be honest, there are a lot of other great holes, if you start at 1, to end on 18, it's not quite up to par with the rest of the course.
- My personal favorite holes: 12 (I like throwing thumbers, that is an ace-run with no risk of losing a disc onto the softball field). 15 (down-hill straight shot onto a peninsula). 2 (tight, downhill to a basket on a rock-outcropping).
- I don't get to play this course too often - it's a little further for me then other courses, but it's a great course. If you're visiting the Triange for DG, it's a MUST PLAY.

Terrific Course, Lacking some refinement

1    5/23/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 hole course set in an athletic/recreational section of UNC-Chapel Hill's campus.
- Plenty of parking where I ended up starting (holes #8 and 9 - see below for other thoughts)
- Variety of holes - half the course plays through some tightly wooded sections, while half plays in more open areas (apparently the site of an old ball golf course) that appeared to be mowed
- Gorgeous views - the ball golf holes really were something to see - from the long tunnels on 4 and 5, to the valley throw-over on 14, this course looked great
- U, D, L, R - this course had all shapes for its holes - among others, #10 and 13 playing uphill, #2 and 15 playing downhill, other going down then up, #7 and 12 going left to right, #8 and 9 going right to left - these are all mixed with woods and open
- Noted above, but good use of elevation - this course has some rolling hill sections, as well as some more rugged areas across small valleys/ditches in the woods - these are in contrast to the numerous flat holes that are interwoven - overall, the layout does not wear you out
- Nice DisCatchers stand out in the wooded sections
- Tee signs were there, showing distance and par, but they were in rough shape and I don't think they had a hole map
- Flush, concrete tee pads wider at the back for easy runup
- Multiple tees on some holes, multiple pin locations (one basket) on some holes
- Course map is available online and is pretty accurate
- Even the wooded holes were not too thick with downed foliage, so relatively low chance for lost disc, unless you really yank a drive on some of the open holes (13, 14, 15) - #12 is a short hole, but has some high stuff, I did spend some time looking for a drive gone long on #7
- There are some challenging pin positions here - #2 next to a drainage ditch, #15 on a plateau in front of a dropoff, etc.
- Not sure if there is any OB - water in play on a couple holes - pond throwover on #3, small creek on side of #4 and across #5
- Restrooms near hole #1 (which was mid-round for me)
- Benches on many holes
- No trash that I remember
- As mentioned, some real nice golf holes - #2 is a tight, wooded downhill shot to a pin perched near a drainage ditch, #3 is a pitch over a small pond, #5 is an absolute beauty playing slightly downhill, through a gap in trees growing up out of a creek bed to an open finish, #7 is an anny line through a wooded area, #12 (not popular by most apparently, but I really liked it) is a short, little anny that requires you to stay right or risk dropping down a fairly steep hill that runs down to a softball field (cool to overlook it), #14 is another beauty playing across a grassy down-up valley to a pin perched near a large, shady tree
Cons: - Course start and navigation - as mentioned a lot, the most common spot for people to park and start is at hole #9 - I'm sure there is a way to park and start at hole #1, but it's not the most accessible (maybe not at all for non-students?) - it could be worthwhile to re-number the holes and have a course map near this lot
- Navigation was a litt tough, even with the map, in a couple spots - had to search a bit to get from #15 to #16 (compounded by the "hole closed" sign mentioned above), also had to hunt for tee #1 - bit of a long walk from #5 to #6 with no clear directional sign
- Tee signs were not in good shape and I had to walk up some fairways to see where I was headed
- A couple fairways were a bit mucky after rain during the morning (#6 and 8, I think)
- A couple holes play under a ropes course zip-line and although I didn't encounter anyone, signs indicated that they will always have the right of way while you are playing
Other Thoughts: - Many reviews on here note that the baskets are mis-numbered - I don't really remember that, but since some of those reviews are recent, I have to assume it's still the case and I just didn't notice - using the course map should make this inconsequential
- Their tournament had just been played the weekend before and there was something about hole #16 being closed and being replaced by some alternate - I think I "ignored it properly" and played the correct/normal layout
- Another tourney sign said that basket #18 was in some long position, but I never found it and re-played the hole, assuming they mvoed it back to the short position

I think the course itself is top-notch and I was close to giving it a 4.5 due the variety, beauty and challenge. However, the poor tee signs, navigation, parking, hole #'s, etc. could all be improved upon to make it an overall top-notch experience. Once you get past those things, the holes themselves were terrific. This was my favorite course during my visit to the Raleigh area (out of 6 - UNC, Buckhorn, Zebulon, Middle Creek, Cedar Hills and Leigh Farm) and I hope to get back sometime. Would have loved to play it a second time, but I went up this way on my last day and still wanted to play Leigh Farms in the afternoon.

Hell yes! Go there!

5+    7/21/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: logjammin
This review was updated on 5/18/2014
Pros: Excellent variety on the selection of holes. This course has it all. Open, tight wooded, uphill, downhill, level, valley, lefty, righty, straighty, long, short. You name it; it's there.

Some feasible ace opportunities, and some tough pars.

Baskets in good condition, highly visible.

Fairways are well-maintained. Open-field holes have mowed fairways; minimal undergrowth on wooded holes. 12 is an anomaly, it has shoulder-high trees and brush to throw over or around, but I think that's part of the design. 12 is one of the aforementioned ace runs.

Benches at every tee, I think.

Restrooms at hole 1.

Not a whole lot of non-dg traffic to worry about, although I had to throw over a couple of friendly young fisherpersons' heads at the pond today.

Everyone I've ever met there has been friendly, and willing to let others play through if they are moving slowly.
Cons: Signs could be more informative.

Course can be hard to navigate if you've never played there before, although if you copy my "other thoughts" or memorize them, you will make it okay.

There are a couple of blind holes with alternating pins. If you want to know where to throw it, I guess you just have to walk ahead and look for the basket. I don't think the signs even note the different basket locations. Certainly there's only one distance listed on the signs.

Signs don't have par posted anymore. Before a recent tournament, par was posted at every hole, but that was removed for some reason and not re-posted after the tournament. This website has par listings for every hole, but it occurs to me that I could go in and change those numbers if I wanted to, and I have no authority over the actual course itself; I'm just someone who has a frisbee and a computer. So take those with a grain of salt. I like to have a par score specified, so I can play against "par," and use that as a reference point to determine how badly I'm playing.

The baskets have numbers posted at the top, and the numbers range from 1 to 18, but they don't correspond to the actual hole numbers. Not even close. It's best to just ignore the numbers on the baskets, especially if you don't know your way around this course.

Other Thoughts: So anyway, parking at UNC can be a problem. In years past, they have been quick to issue parking tickets. I've never been ticketed for parking at this course, and I've heard that nobody gets ticketed for parking at hole 8. I think the address for this parking lot is 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC. The General Administration building, and I think there's also a sign for a softball stadium there. If you're coming from Raleigh headed West on 54, there will be a place near campus where, to stay on 54 west, you would have to get on the 15-501 bypass. Instead of getting on the bypass, you should just go straight under the highway and make the first left, into this parking lot. Then just stay to the right and park in the corner of the lot. You'll see dg baskets in the field to your right. This lot is more convenient than the other parking lot.

Okay then.

If you start at hole 9, after maybe taking a few practice shots in the field, it will be in the woods near basket 8. (remember, the baskets don't have the correct numbers posted on them) There will be 3 wooded holes before 12. Hole 10 is a blind shot with 2 different basket positions ! At least it's blind in the summertime in the long position, like today, for example. You might be able to see it in the short position in the summer, I don't remember. But it's uphill, left turn, over a ridge. Then to find hole 11 you have to backtrack a little, and it's on the opposite side of the 10 fairway from basket 9. i.e. looking from tee 10 towards basket 10, tee 11 is to the left of the fairway.

12 is a short, more open fairway on a ridge overlooking a softball field. Both 11 and 12 have small right doglegs at the end. Then 13, 14, 15 are open field, longer holes. 13 is the only par 4 on the course, I think, except for "the beast." (Note my note about "par," though.) 14 has 2 baskets and I guess you can take your pick (?) 15 has alternating pin positions. short 350 or blind longer downhill to the right. If you can get the right S curve on that long downhill, you're in business.

Then to get to 16, 17 wooded holes, you have to backtrack. I think there's a little orange sign pointing you to a little path in the woods, although that may have been a temporary little cardboard sign that won't be there when you go. Those are short tight shots over a valley, with alternating pins on 17.

Update: There is a new hole 18, as of late 2012. The tee is near basket 15. After 17, walk down the hill and a series of signs will direct you to 18. It's a long walk to get there. It is a level, straight, sometimes muddy fairway.

It is a long walk to 1 on the other side of the tennis courts, wooded over a valley, 2 downhill with thick woods on the left, and alternating pins. If it's in the long position, the basket is near the pond!

3 over the pond and there are 2 baskets; I always play the long one; short one is very close to the pond. I think there's a sign that says no swimming or wading, even though the fairway is directly over the pond. The pond is shallow, with a very soft, mucky, smelly, gross bottom. Or so a criminal friend told me.

Update June 2013: The long basket is not there now. The only basket to play on 3 is right on the edge of the pond. I'm tempted to dock them a half-point for asking me to throw my disc into the pond, with a sign that says not to go in the pond.

Remember there are 2 tees for hole 4. the short 400 footer, or the long 666 foot "beast." I've never thrown "the beast". There's a tee sign beside the pond, on the more overgrown side, and there's a wooden post a few feet away; I assume the post marks the "beast" tee. It's on a slightly paved walkway.

3, 4, 5, 6 are open field holes, although I've managed to end up in the rough on all of them, from time to time. There's a long walk from 5 to 6, and you could start thinking you're lost. Just stay on the path and go under a little bridge, and you'll end up in a field. At the other end of the field you'll see the parking lot I directed you to.

After 6 you head to the left, into the woods for 7, 8. when you're walking into the woods, try to locate the basket for 7 (which, of course, doesn't say "7" on it). 7 is a blind hole with alternating basket positions. It's either a left or right turn at the end of the fairway. (left today) 8 has long and short tees and alternating pins too. The basket is in open field, either right next to the corner of the parking lot where I always park, or about 80 feet to the right.

There is a map and scorecard file available for download on this site. The map features an old configuration for holes 1, 2, 3, and 18. No longer correct for those holes, but all the others look about right. The hole labeled 2 on the map is now hole #3. 1 and 2 are completely new holes, in the woods to the left when you are walking down the paved road. There's a big sign in front of hole 1. The hole labeled 3 on the map no longer exists. That tee is used for an alternate for 4.

1    6/17/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: Schmakt
Pros: This was a really beautiful course. We played mid-morning while it was still cool, and the grass was slightly dewy. Wonderful NC morning in a great setting. We ran into a half-dozen or so other groups, all of whom were very nice about letting us play through and helping us figure out where we were going. This course can be tough if you really yank your drive, but almost every hole had a really beautiful planned flight path, and hitting that path always felt great. Baskets and pads are fairly well-kept with a good number of benches throughout the course.
Cons: As a first-time player the layout, lack of signage, backtracking, parking, and mismatched baskets made this course incredibly frustrating.

For scorekeeping, I really like to know exactly which layout of a course I'm playing and what the pars are. I assumed everything was 3 (which, really, it probably should have been), but I'd never know if not for this site. Most of the signs seemed to have been stolen or destroyed, and we ended up spending a good about of time trying to find the next hole (especially #'s 8 and 16). The fact that the basket for 8 was marked "15" didn't help any... a problem was appeared on many holes.

Parking wasn't *that* difficult, but it wasn't clearly marked, and we were still kind of lost after parking at the top of the hill near hole #1. Should have taken the advice of a reviewer here and parked near #8.
Other Thoughts: We encountered many of the signs about ropes courses and other activities. Luckily we did not encounter any of that, but that would have also been pretty frustrating.

If I lived in this area, I feel like I would play this course often. I can definitely see how knowing the layout would help make this a much more enjoyable experience. As is, next time I'm in Chapel Hill, I will likely seek out another unplayed course instead of heading here again.

Good experience, lots of fun, and definitely worth playing once... but nothing that makes me really want to go back and try it again.

The Country Club Course

5+    1/29/2012   1/31/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 2/9/2012
Pros: Atmosphere: It's a beautiful course that weaves through old growth forest and an old ball golf course. It has a country club feel to it when you're out there.

Equipment: Good signs and large concrete pads, multiple tee pads for some holes. Benches on a lot of holes, some trashcans throughout the course. The baskets are old but still in playable shape.

Layout: 2 sets of tees, multiple basket locations on some holes.

UNC combines some tight wooded holes where the focus is hitting gaps and open holes which range from short to long bombs.

Most of the wooded holes are basically shorter gap hitting holes and don't require placement for a second shot. It does mix in a couple of hyzer/anhyzer holes in there to provide diversity.

Some of the wooded holes are tight and provide a challenge and some are a bit wider.

The open holes look to be built on old ball golf holes. For the most part they're long with large open fairways; 5 over 400ft, really lets you rip. There is a couple of shorter open holes thrown in the mix.

The course has a ton of elevation change, there are 4 holes over valleys (3 are wooded). 3 big downhill holes, 3 uphill holes.

The course has five holes with water; four involve a creek and one is over a short coverable pond.
Cons: Atmosphere: The course can be crowded at times, and there are parts where other sporting activities come in to play. You go by the tennis courts and a training area. It can be mucky out there at times, some holes don't drain well.

Equipment: The basket numbers don't correspond to the hole numbers, can be confusing for those not familiar with the course. Sometimes both baskets are left in which can also cause some confusion.

Layout: The one major drawback to this course is a lot of the wooded holes are shorter and don't really offer multiple routes. It's pretty much hit this gap and park it.

Not a lot of risk reward out there, mostly because of the really open holes; but even the shorter wooded holes don't have much except for the baskets that sit on hill tops. I wish there were more hyzer/anhyzer shots OR if some of the longer holes were doglegs.. one is.

The layout can be confusing for first timers and seem to not flow well. Once you've played it a few times though it makes since, you do have to kinda backtrack in a few places.

The following holes I don't like:

#6: It's a wide open 320' hole that is just in the wrong place. Comes in after two much longer open holes and one is my favorite; should be a wooded hole for variety.

#12: This hole is unappealing and dumb. It's a 180' straight on shot but the basket sits on the right side of fairway tucked in the tree line about 5'. It just doesn't look good and it isn't fun either.
Other Thoughts: It's a great course, probably the nicest in the area. Not the most challenging but maybe the funnest if you like to throw bombs.

It has a plethora of signature holes, here are my favorites:

#2: 321' of wooded downhill gap hitter that has two basket locations. The first is up on a hill side that creates a valley shot. The second location is down at the bottom of the hill next to a creek. Fun and challenging hole, disc golf at its best.

#5: It's my favorite hole and one of the most beautiful holes I've played. It's an old ball golf hole that is 444' off a small hill down over a creek and past some trees then out in to an open area where the basket sits... yeah.

#8: When the basket is in the back position this hole is great, it goes out over an open area and into the tree line where the basket sits just over a creek.

#10: It's a very difficult tight gap hitting that moves right to left. One of the more difficult holes on the course.

#13: It's a wide open fairway lined by trees that goes up and doglegs a bit left. The basket sits at the end of a corridor where it opens up and the ground drops off behind it. Great hole.

#14: It's probably most peoples favorite hole, certainly the one you'll remember the most the first time you play it. It's 410/415 (depending on basket location) over a giant open valley where the basket can sit on the left/right of the opposing hill. It's a jaw dropper and super fun.

#15: It's down off a hill to two possible basket locations. One is a bit down hill and straight on where the green is surrounded by a small cliff. The second location is really downhill and goes down through a corridor past the upper green location. Challenging and fun hole.

#16 & 17: Both are wooded valley holes and they're both fun and slightly challenging. Risk reward comes in to play here if you don't land on top in a good place.

You'll want to park off of 15-501 and start at hole #8. The #1 parking lot is for UNC people only supposedly.

Sweet Course!

2-4    1/20/2012   1/26/2012
Review By: AdamCaudle
Pros: - The open holes make good use of elevation and still require accuracy, such as the gap between trees on hole 5. Hole 3 even incorporates a pond you must shoot over, with the basket being just on the other side of it.
- The wooded holes are a bit on the short side but some require very technical throws, such as hole 1 which is a dead straight fairly narrow fairway which opens up around to the hole around 260 feet.
- There is a good balance of right, left, and straight shots required.
- The concrete tees are nice and very large.
- The signage is adequate, notifying you of hole length and the location of the basket.
- Every hole has nice DISCatcher baskets.
- There is certainly an aesthetic beauty to this course. It is pretty secluded and the first 5 holes are all quite beautiful.
- There are a good amount of benches but I didn't see many trash cans, though I didn't see much litter anywhere so that's a plus.
Cons: - The layout could be pretty confusing for a first-timer, luckily I played with someone who had played the course a few times before.
- A couple of the fairways retain water as they are low points, which can be swampy from recent rain.
Other Thoughts: This course was really fun to play, and fairly difficult. There are definitely birdie opportunities, but you have to throw accurate shots to be rewarded with those. If the amenities were a little better I could see this course being used for PDGA tournaments.

2-4    1/22/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: TheSkid
Pros: I like this course.It has an awesome terrain. Lots of valleys to throw over and plenty rolling hills to throw over. This is a very scenic course.
Cons: A lack of signs makes it possible to skip holes 16-17 completely.
Other Thoughts: I like this course.I have only played it twice. Both times were enjoyable. Not too hard, not to easy. with a nice ace run on 16.

UNC Review

2-4    12/25/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: BHDragn4207
Pros: This is a very nice course to play. It has a good range of short and long shots, open and wooded. The signs at each tee are nice showing where the basket is and the variety between each hole makes it fun.
Cons: Finding the first tee can be hard. Walk down towards the game field to find it.
We had trouble finding some of the tees between baskets and the numbers on the baskets may not be accurate. We had a hard time finding three of them on out first go. Next time we go, we'll know where the next is!
Other Thoughts: This is truly a nice course and was worth the 30 minute drive to get there. Its great for players of all levels and I'd recommend a visit for a game if you haven't yet been!

Worth Playing

1    11/18/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: My favorite thing about this course is the beautiful setting in a mostly wooded and mostly private section of UNC's campus. The course plays through hilly forest around the UNC's outdoor recreation area.
There are some excellent holes at this course, especially the ones playing through the open areas. It's a quick round, very fun to play, and would be enjoyable for beginners and advanced players alike.
Cons: The course feels like an old hotel that needs a renovation. Signage is missing on a lot of the holes. Navigation is confusing in many spots. The baskets look very old and all have numbers on them that don't correlate to the holes, adding to the confusion. It could use a refresh.

While there are some great holes, there were more than a few bland holes and a couple of not so great holes, all in the woods. This is a pitch and putt course that's all Par 3.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice campus course and worth playing if you are in the area. I was advised it was the best course in the Raleigh/Durham area ... although it was fun to play and I would play again, it wasn't as good as expected. If there was a 3.25 I'd give it that rating, but as there isn't I'm rounding up. Seems like some of the course has been renovated/refreshed in spots - would be nice to see the whole thing get a facelift. Another random observation - I saw more females playing than guys, which has never happened to me before.

1    6/18/2011   7/3/2011
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: A good mix of holes. Open, wooded, long, short.

Course wasn't overly crowded and the people who were playing were very helpful and were givng history on the course.

Tee signs, benches, trash cans at every hole.
Cons: This is not really a con but I wish I didn't have to drive 130 miles or so just to play.
Other Thoughts: I've played about fifteen courses or so and this one is defnitely in the top three. I played it on a Saturday and parking wasn't an issue. Will play again when up in the area.