Salem, OR
Cascades Gateway Share
Uploaded By: Flies to the Left Hole #1 (Taken 2/2009)

Simple, open course

1    3/10/2014   3/10/2014
Review By: nat16dick
Pros: Baskets - Discatcher baskets are in decent shape and catch well
Teepads (when applicable) - The concrete teepads that are in place on most holes are well-sized and in good condition
Navigation - For the most part, course is logical and easy to play through without a map
Cons: Teepads - Many tees are missing, and several holes tee off grass or bark chip areas
Signage - Sign at front of course is in fine condition, but hole signs are often missing, making it occasionally hard to find the pin
Design - Most of the park is open, and the back 9 especially seem to just zig-zag across a field, making for an exceedingly boring stretch of holes
Other Thoughts: The challenge factor is very low, unless the wind is high. The lack of great tees throughout and the vandalized signage really take away from the course, making it one I would certainly not recommend. There are a couple of holes with fun design traits, but the course is overall rather boring, and not worth a stop.

Easy-access

2-4    1/1/2014   1/2/2014
Review By: John M. Fretz
Pros: Nice, open course to air out your throws and really get a feel for what different discs do when thrown.
Great scenery and easy to go play a quick round if you're in Salem, as it is right by airport.
Cons: GOOSE POOP
Back 9 starts to get redundant, but that should get better as I noticed some newly planted trees which should start to make that side more interesting in the future.
No bathrooms
Other Thoughts: worth playing if u are in area, but not a destination course

We like it

5+    7/30/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: Bryan-Krystal
Pros: We like that we can try out new disk and not worry so much about losing them. the open fields really are nice. love the sun.
Cons: That the disk were moved around and that made it harder for new players to get into the game. Not much shade so sun block is needed for some.

5+    7/27/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: Lots of open air to work on your D and accuracy. Openness allows for beginners to feel comfortable.
Cons: Openness makes for lack of some challenges.
Other Thoughts: This is my "home course" I guess you would say as it is where I learned and play the most often. Would love to see some trees added to the open fairways if possible to give the course a new feel, in time obviously.

My windy home course

5+    8/28/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: ripcitydisc
This review was updated on 10/3/2011
Pros: Some people find very open courses a bad thing, and while I agree with that for the most part, I've really enjoyed playing here and working out all my discs without fearing I was going to lose all of them. The concrete pads are very nice and it is next to a lake but the water really only comes into play when the basket for hole 5 is in the left place. The alternate tees make the course a little more fun as well, although I hate when hole 2's basket is in the trees. The course also does a great loop as the basket for 18 is very close to the tee box for 1 which is right next to the parking lot.
Cons: It is very flat and very open. No elevation changes and I can throw backhand or forehand on every hole and most of the holes are just straight with few obstacles. I still like all the holes, except for 15, which most people are going to spend a little time looking for their disc after they throw because theres a tiny window through the forest on either side of the window. There is a lot of goose poop and sometimes there is some trash and vandalism, which is a shame because the tee markers looked very nice before that and there are plenty of garbage cans. There is hardly any shade on hot days in the summer.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to begin on and take friends who havent played or played much. I still get challenged by the distance of the baskets because I am not a huge thrower yet, but im not challenged by the technicality of the course. I think everyone would still enjoy it for the most part though.

Great I-5 Stop!

2-4    7/31/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: wildrivers
Pros: Easy to follow course. Holes have cement tees with distance signs. all holes have baskets. A couple tight fairways but mostly wide open throws available. Great place to pull off some "huks" or learn the sport. Can have dogs on leash and there is a pond they can play in. Close to I-5. This course has never been crowded when I have played. Makes good use of space for a smaller city park.
Cons: Cant say there are any for this course! I like a course with no poisen oak, cement tees and signs.
No real restrooms just "blue" rooms at the park.

Sweet Lake!

1    7/6/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is good place for newer players to learn on that won't be too challenging and yet still make them respect the game and not get too cocky out there. The concrete tee pads are really nice looking and grippy and are big enough that you can locate them from the last basket for easy navigation. This seems like a good place to learn without trees in your way and also you can learn rollers here when the grass is short enough. The nearby lake is really pretty and gets a ton of use.
Cons: There just isn't enough obstacles here to really make it interesting or challenging. Open, no out of bounds and no rough means even horrible drives are getting a three from anyone who has been playing a while. I'm not not really a big fan of zig zagging across a wide open field back and forth, over and over. This course is just a little too boring for my taste.
Other Thoughts: I'm not exactly sure much could be done to make this place challenging but not every course has to be. This place does do a good job in attracting its target audience of newer players and chuckers. Honestly though I think I would rather go fishing or swimming in the beautiful lake than rather play the disc golf course.

Good for beginners and locals...

1    1/23/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: Huck Plastic
Pros: -Good for beginners
-Only 18 hole course in Salem
-Multiple ace and birdie runs
-Hard to lose plastic
-Wide open layout flows well
-Large tapered, concrete tee boxes
-Concise tee and basket labels
-No poison oak
-Lock box to deposit found plastic
Cons: -Had to wait on most holes (by-product of a 50 degree day in January with no rain)
-Intermediate and advanced players will want more of a challenge
-Burnt out shed on hole #4 is a disc eater with no way to retrieve
-Trash and lots of it
-Homeless shanties amongst the briars
-Poop on ground, both human and goose
-Sketchy area with questionable looking characters (at times)
-Terrible port-o-pottie
Other Thoughts: Cascade Gateway is a good place to toss if you are a beginner or you live in the adjacent area. This is not the type of course that you drive from out of town to play as you will probably be disappointed if you do so. Because of the unsavory characters that tend to frequent the park during low use times I recommend group play around dawn or dusk.

Remember, always play the role of "Unofficial Park Steward" as this will invariably improve the courses we play and the image of our sport.

Epic Course

5+    5/18/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: McDilligaf
Pros: Good long distance holes, a few good technical holes as well as an easy to read course. Great for beginners, this is the course I cut my teeth in back in 2008
Cons: There are "some" goose land-mines about, ok so there are alot of them hahaha :P A small price to pay for the love of the sport I say. LOL
The course itself is well layed out and it is fairly hard to loose a disc unless you hit the drink.
Other Thoughts: I have only played a few courses: Woodmansee Park, Keizer Rapids Park, Champoeg Park but I always come back here for more :)

Perfect for beginners

2-4    2/8/2010   2/9/2010
Review By: Riderflydg
Pros: Easy and flat, few difficult courses made it fun. Perfect for beginner like me. Less traffic, less pressure. Lose disc is impossible due to less berries and leafs during Winter time. Spring time would be challenge.
Cons: I can't think of any cons except for one friendly pit bull dog on loose was chased my friend's disc on hole #13 course and marked the disc a bite holes. Bummer. Look out for dogs between 13 and 14 courses.