Salem, OR
Cascades Gateway Share
Uploaded By: Flies to the Left Hole #1 (Taken 2/2009)

My windy home course

5+    8/28/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: ripcitydisc
This review was updated on 10/3/2011
Pros: Some people find very open courses a bad thing, and while I agree with that for the most part, I've really enjoyed playing here and working out all my discs without fearing I was going to lose all of them. The concrete pads are very nice and it is next to a lake but the water really only comes into play when the basket for hole 5 is in the left place. The alternate tees make the course a little more fun as well, although I hate when hole 2's basket is in the trees. The course also does a great loop as the basket for 18 is very close to the tee box for 1 which is right next to the parking lot.
Cons: It is very flat and very open. No elevation changes and I can throw backhand or forehand on every hole and most of the holes are just straight with few obstacles. I still like all the holes, except for 15, which most people are going to spend a little time looking for their disc after they throw because theres a tiny window through the forest on either side of the window. There is a lot of goose poop and sometimes there is some trash and vandalism, which is a shame because the tee markers looked very nice before that and there are plenty of garbage cans. There is hardly any shade on hot days in the summer.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to begin on and take friends who havent played or played much. I still get challenged by the distance of the baskets because I am not a huge thrower yet, but im not challenged by the technicality of the course. I think everyone would still enjoy it for the most part though.

Great I-5 Stop!

2-4    7/31/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: wildrivers
Pros: Easy to follow course. Holes have cement tees with distance signs. all holes have baskets. A couple tight fairways but mostly wide open throws available. Great place to pull off some "huks" or learn the sport. Can have dogs on leash and there is a pond they can play in. Close to I-5. This course has never been crowded when I have played. Makes good use of space for a smaller city park.
Cons: Cant say there are any for this course! I like a course with no poisen oak, cement tees and signs.
No real restrooms just "blue" rooms at the park.

Perfect for beginners

2-4    2/8/2010   2/9/2010
Review By: Riderflydg
Pros: Easy and flat, few difficult courses made it fun. Perfect for beginner like me. Less traffic, less pressure. Lose disc is impossible due to less berries and leafs during Winter time. Spring time would be challenge.
Cons: I can't think of any cons except for one friendly pit bull dog on loose was chased my friend's disc on hole #13 course and marked the disc a bite holes. Bummer. Look out for dogs between 13 and 14 courses.

1    6/1/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: RallySoob
Pros: +great layout
+Hole description cards on posts are really nice
+a few long straight drives
+popular, clean and fun place
Cons: +too easy to lose a disc. someone needs to cut out alot of the sticker bushs surrounding the holes. I'm new and have only played here 4 times. I've lost atleast 1 disc everytime...
Other Thoughts: Capitolcitydiscgolf team has a few members who mow the holes down every once in a while. other than the city does a pretty poor job of keeping the place mowed. I would personaly like to get a group together to detroy the thorned bushes and probably find some discs in the process. I know I have atleast 5 out there...

Fun

5+    9/20/2008   9/28/2008
Review By: jorje_villafan
Pros: Lots of open shots (great for beginners learning how to throw), cement tee pads, tee signs, they just added some trees so the course should be quite different (in an awesome way) in a few years.
Cons: Lots of blackberries. The course could be dolled up a bit. It's got kind of a bland look with a few unsightly areas.
Other Thoughts: While I listed the blackberry bushes on this course as a con, they have improved my game quite a bit. I soon realized that they were only eating my discs because I was feeding them. I started making wiser disc choices, now they are not an issue (for me).

Best in the Salem area

5/17/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: OR_Crayfish
Pros: This is a good course considering the capitol of Oregon (Salem) has crap for DG courses. There are several folks working hard to change this. Cascade is turning into a great little course. A few Pads have recently been poured with the rest coming soon. Area has been used the best it can. Some holes are not that thrilling but as a whole its pretty good. One can view some amazing sights of Osprey fishing in lake that causes some frustrations for some golfers. Pretty good course for beginners expect for some OB hazards (lost discs). This used to be a pretty sketchy park that is turning out to be a nice park. Very close to I-5 (about 5 mins off of Kubler or HWY 22 Exit).
Cons: Blackberry still presists but is being addressed. Some pretty easy birdies that arent too challenging for Adv/Pro golfers. No real woods holes, pretty open. Big dirve = Low score (not technical)

Nice change

4/29/2008   5/1/2008
Review By: kevin
Pros: The pins are tucked away, so you have to be good on your mid-range game. Fun course and a little bit of everything including a nearby lake to distract you.

Cons: The tees start you off usually in a open field, so your drives should make it down the field everytime unless the wind catches it, which it is almost guaranteed to do on some legs.
Other Thoughts: There are a few holes where the pins are not visable and throwing your disk into the trees is actually your best bet. Good luck