Wilmington, NC
Castle Hayne Park Share

Tough Course

1    7/12/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: timbur3
Pros: Challenging. Very well kept up course. Great baskets. Fun holes
Cons: Tee pads were a little short. Killer spiders everywhere. Very small window in which to drive through.
Other Thoughts: The woods off the fairways are as thick as i have ever seen. Very tough if you do not drive well. Lots of right turn holes on the back 9.

Fun near the beach

1    2/10/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: JGraham83
Pros: Nicely landscaped course in a quiet secluded location near the NC coast. Fun holes, lots of turns and natural barriers.
Cons: Easy to lose discs at some points of the course.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a must if you are driving down towards Wilmington.

Not a fan

5+    7/2/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: jordanferg92
This review was updated on 7/12/2012
Pros: Huge clear fairways
Distinct gravel tees
Color signs for each hole
Located in a beautiful park
Holes stay away from the populated park areas
Well maintained and cleaned
There is a sign close to the bathrooms. For sure read this before you play for your first time. Has the map so you know where you're going.
Cons: Buggy
The woods are not forgiving and it's hard to come back from a bad hole.
The front nine and the back nine are split and can be hard to locate your first time here.
Other Thoughts: Definitely more of a professional course. I think I do worse every time I play this course. Difficult but possible. Even though I suck at this course, I know that this is a VERY NICE course.

One of NC's Best

5+    6/13/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Castle Hayne is a true test of your technical ability. You'll need every shot in your bag and the ability to perform them time and time again to play well.

The course has a great mixture of short and long holes but make no mistake, there are no holes where you can let it rip out there. Many of the longer holes require precise placement type drives to a spot to set up your next shot.

Not only will you need to place your drive very well but on some occasions you'll be playing through tight early gaps which really increases the difficulty of each hole. Even after a good drive you'll still need to play a great approach shot to set yourself up for a makeable putt.

Huge risk/reward out there; each hole really makes you think about every shot. If you try to bite off to much you'll pay for it. It's a course where you'll have to make a lot of accurate left to right, right to left, and S shots.

There isn't much elevation on the course but where there is it's used extremely well. The greens here are well designed in that they use the small elevation changes to their advantage by sticking them on slopes in some places.

The course is tough but not overbearing, as long as you stay within your game and play accurate shots you can stay within par.

Each hole has an original and alternate basket location that mixes it up and changes your approaches.

Layout is very fluid, no real long walks and it's easy to see where you're going next except for the 9 to 10 change up. The course does loop back to the parking lot after the front 9.

Equipment - Solid baskets in good shape. Large and level with the ground tees. Excellent signs for each hole that really explain the holes well and show you where the next tee is. Benches and trashcans throughout the course. On the longer holes there are distance to basket markers along the fairway that add a nice touch.

Atmosphere - Perhaps the best cared for public course I've ever played on. The locals do a great job of keeping it clean and on keeping the course in top shape.

Once you get in to the woods it's a beautiful pine covered course with a small creek running through parts. Very laid back feel to all of it and makes for a great round. There's usually a good breeze blowing to keep the heat off.

The layout does a really good job of weaving the course through the park and keeping discs away from other park goers.
Cons: Layout - Not really a lot you can complain about here.

There's never really a chance to let one rip and I always feel one or two of those holes give a course more balance. There's a few holes where it's possible but you still have to be very accurate.

Not much elevation on the course which is one thing that would put it over the top for me.

The course could be frustrating to new and lesser skilled players.

Equipment - One of the best equipped courses I've ever played so the only thing I can really complain about is the transition from 9 to 10 can be confusing, a sign right after 9 could help that.

Atmosphere - One of the main drawbacks that I can see is that you never get a real secluded feel on the course. Every time you start to feel it you run in to a part where you can see other parts of the park, a railroad track or a park road. At several points you'll cross park roads and even though you're never playing across or near them it ruins that wooded feel.

With the creek mosquitoes and bugs can be a problem out there as well.
Other Thoughts: I really love this course, I've yet to play it well but I always leave with the feeling that I had fun out there and tested my game.

The things that keep it from being a 5 for me is the lack of elevation and natural OB, the cons I listed under Atmosphere and a lack of a few more open holes.

Beyond that this is one of the best courses in NC hands down and a must play.

Castle Hizayne is Off the Chizain!

1    6/13/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Aside from the fact that Castle Hayne Park in Wilmington, NC appeared impeccably maintained and litter was entirely absent, the well marked and well equipped disc golf course would be incredible in almost any condition. I thought the concrete tees were roomy and flat, much to my liking, and several holes had two boxes. I recall a couple of oddball tees on the front nine that were on a pedestal and dug into a hill, but they too were very usable. Only subtle changes in elevation, used to good effect. The tee signs were very good, as were the directional guiding arrows between holes that wound across and around the roads in the beautiful park. The course layout is well marked, but the map is nice and printing it may be helpful. Water in play, but nothing too intimidating. Baskets were in good shape, and most holes had two placements. One pin for hole 10 was on a 3 foot pedestal. Many benches were available throughout the course. So many attributes of this course are the virtues of every great course: Scenic, interesting, well carved fairways of varied length and requiring directional throws both ways,as well as doglegs and straight line shots. Some shorter birdie opportunities with interesting looks, and longer holes with wooded but fair routes and reachable landing zones. Perfect blend of difficulty and entertaining, fun holes.
Cons: My main gripe would have to be a small amount of mud, that was really minimal considering the rainy weather preceding my trip to the region. Fairway on the fourth hole is nuts. Wish I could have fared better there. The danger signs along the weird ravine trail parallel to the train tracks on the back nine really through me off, although I was able to save a bogey. Taking a 5 on the par 3 number 18 really bummed me out. I drove it pin high, but 75 feet left of the basket, which forced me to slowly and painfully work through a stand of trees blocking my second shot.
Other Thoughts: Truly a top notch course at Castle Haynes Park, and the local golfers involved should be commended for keeping this terrific specimen super clean. This is the best new course for me this year, and an instant favorite. Unique in most ways, but if I had to draw a comparison, I would choose The Sinks in Chattanooga, TN (without the sinkholes), or maybe Shaver Recreation Center in Seneca, SC.

Payne

5+    4/19/2012   5/10/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Where to start....This course is very solid. it is well beat in and a solid design that is well worth your time to play.

Teepads and signage are great! Garbage cans and benches on every hole

Love the par 4's and the risk reward involved in this course. Maybe you decide to bite off more than you should or you throw one errant shot well you are more than likely in jail with few to no options.
Cons: There are few.

Erosion looks like it might be an issue.

Crowded. It is the only course in the area and is 5 min from UNCW which means you will usually find someone on every hole and possibly groups of 5+ taking there time. Great for the sport but still kinda sucks
Other Thoughts: I love Castle Hayne. It is definalty one of the best courses that I have played so far and probably in a tight battle with Cedar hill to be the best outside of charlotte for me. I would recomend this course to anyone who is remotely close to this course. It is easily the best in the Southeastern part of the state.

Go see if you can handle Castle Payne

Awesome Course

1    2/29/2012   3/1/2012
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - The course is about 5 minutes off the interstate (and prior to any congestion if you're coming down from 95) can't get much more convenient.
- The tee signs are outstanding. On the Par 4s and 5s they show the landing zones to set up your next shot.
- The hole variation is great. It is a longer course for being mostly wooded. The few short holes are not straight ace-runs - there are mando areas that make it a challenging approach. I haven't played a ton of courses - but, this is one of the few that I believe have legitimate Par 5s.
- The wooded fairways are pretty open, and the approaches are defined, with some "purposefully" placed trees to challenge you. The pine needle mulch is sweet.
-The course meanders through the park. You don't feel cramped, and you don't have to walk for ages between holes.
Cons: - To be fair, I haven't played the other Wilmington courses, but I suspect that this is head's and shoulder's above them - so it draws A LOT of traffic. I was playing a speed round and played through 4 groups - they were cool, so it was cool, but on a weekend it may be totally stacked.
Just to be picky
- Looks like it could be a little wet with rain (I had great conditions). That being said - with the sandy soil I would think it drains pretty quick, and they have the boardwalks placed in the lower areas, or where runoff crosses.
- There is a walk from 9-10, don't remember if the tee sign for 9 calls out the walk across the parking lot, but it wasn't intuitive for a first time through the course.
Other Thoughts: - I have driven by several times, but haven't played. The course was awesome - so glad I stopped, and any future trips will (hopefully) include this course.
- The locals all seemed knowledgeable and friendly. Like I said, I played through 4 groups - all were totally cool with inviting me to play through, some nice chit-chat, etc.
- I had an outstanding round - the course is wooded enough that I guess if you have one of those "tree" days, it could really push your scores. I love how the signs call out the lay-up spots, showing how to throw. If you are an advanced player and have a decent day - you have a shot at par.

Tough but fair

5+    1/30/2012   2/5/2012
Review By: ColinB
Pros: Concrete tee pads
Accurate signage
Well maintained, not much trash, good number of trash cans
Good mix of lefts and rights, tight and open fairways
Most holes are pretty long, good for power players
Tough course, but pretty fair pars
Alternate basket locations switched out every few weeks
Nice locals
Monthly doubles by local club
Baskets in great condition
Front 9 and back 9 end at the parking lot
Cons: Can be crowded at times, especially when larger groups play (though course limit is 5 players to a group) and on the weekends
Tough course for players without much range
Other Thoughts: Overall I love this course and it is by far my most played course.
Difficult course even for experienced players, but doable and rewarding pars
Wish it was closer in to town, but I can only imagine how much more crowded it would be.
A little more elevation change would be great, but you can't ask for much being near the coast.

Shwing!!

5+    11/29/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: Brett
Pros: Everything!! It's a beautiful course with great locals, and we have boz :) what more could you ask for? but maybe a hanging basket or 2 that would be sweet!! dreaming.. lol
Cons: Newbies on the front 9 and hole 8 will have you swimming if you don't watch it buddy.
Other Thoughts: I finally got my Ace!! on hole 18 with a boss 175g Woot!! woot!!

Newbie players review

1    11/25/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: Jonathan Apple
Pros: This park has all the amenities. The course itself has great signs showing different baskets and lines on each sign. Trash recepticals throughout the course. Benches if you need to sit and take a break. For more experienced players several very challenging holes.
Cons: As beginners we found many of the holes crazy hard. Very busy park. College kids drunk playing disc golf was a little of a downer. Very hard to find where to go after hole 9. Some holes where super long turning a par5 into 9 shots for my girl.
Other Thoughts: I don't mind college kids or drinking. Don't even mind drinking and golfing but when your too drunk to throw a Frisbee your too drunk to be in the par. (man I miss being that age ha ha) This course is off the hook but is defiantly suited for a more advanced player.