St. Louis (St. John), MO
Endicott Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #5 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #5 Tee (downhill drive; basket is just out of frame on left side)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Awesome Park Course

1    5/13/2014   5/21/2014
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Baskets are Gateway Titans that are in good shape and catch well
-Nice concrete tee-pads
-Multiple pin positions on each hole help to add variety to the holes if you play the course a lot.
-Tee-signs are in very good shape. They show a good layout of each hole, each pin-position, the distance to each position, and there is a screw on each tee-pad marking what pin-placement the basket currently is in.
-Good use of the trees to make some tight wooded fairways and then some more wide-open holes. The course has a good variety of more open holes and tightly wooded holes.
-Course has a lot of good elevation change incorporated. The front nine especially makes really good use of the elevation in the park.
-The foliage on the course helps to add risk/reward and punishment for a bad shot.
-This course has some really fun pin-positions. My favorite pin-position was hole 7, where the basket was on a small wooden plateau. There were also quite a few tucked into alcoves in the trees.
-The course requires a pretty good variety of different shots, rather than one specific course, which is nice.
Cons: -Lots of erosion on this course. It gets very muddy after the rain and it was quite slippery.
-Hole 14 plays a little too close to the baseball field for my liking.
-A couple of navigational issues. After the basket for 7 there was a well-worn path that ran to tee 12 rather than hole 8. On hole 15 I ended up at the basket first rather than the tee-pad. Also some of the tee-pads are really close to each other so it can sometimes be hard to know which tee-pad is next.
-Some baskets are hard to spot at they blend in with the foliage well.
-Shorter than some of the other courses in the area. The longest hole I saw was under 500 feet. The distances on the course start to feel a little repetitive. This course could definitely use 1 or 2 longer holes.
-Some neighboring backyards come into play on holes 5+6.
-Some of the park users seemed unaware of the course and there could be conflicts with other park users.
-A bit of a long walk back to the parking lot from Hole 18.
-Some of the holes play a little close to each other
Other Thoughts: Overall, this was a really fun course with a lot of variety and good hole design. There are a couple flaws, but overall if you are in the St. Louis area make sure you play this course.

Enjoyable Course

1    4/26/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: brekko
Pros: Great course layout, good signage and good use of the existing land, there is a good effort to avoid holes overlapping on any of the throws but still utilize the land efficiently.

I was forced to throw each type of shot in my bag at various times, flicks, long anhyzers, low ceilings, you name it.

Almost all the baskets seemed fairly placed, where a perfect tee shot would give you a chance at birdie, there were identifiable paths and fairways on every hole.

All concrete pads oriented properly make for enjoyable tee shots on almost every hole.
Cons: It seemed like a common theme in most of the St Louis area courses to use the heavy duty Gateway Titan baskets, but I just dislike the feel of putting into the really heavy chains and the super deep baskets, but this isn't a knock on the course specifically.
Other Thoughts: The course could use a few longer holes, there were only 2 holes I really uncorked drives on, other than that it's a lot of placement and you can score pretty well.

Endi

5+    11/17/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: Endi offers a wide variety of shots for everyone out there. For the most part I would consider endicott to be more of a technical course, though there are a few opportunities to air your arm out a bit. There are quite a few birdie-able hole out there however, if you get off of the fairway at all on some.. you are scrambling for your bogey..Endicott it an older park so.. the woods are made up of very large matured trees.

Added Pros include: Concrete Tee pads, 3/4 pin locations, trash cans, bathrooms, full electric pavilions, practice basket, metal tee signs, park benches etc etc.
Cons: - doesnt loop
-sometimes crowded.. One of STL's most popular courses (not necessarily a bad thing)
-sometimes there are family reunions, bbq's etc at the pavilion that can get a bit loud
Other Thoughts: Thank you Dave Mac for designing this one all those years ago!! One of my favorite courses though it kills me all of the time

Technical Juggernaut

5+    9/8/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
Pros: Technical - Challenging - Great Variety of Shots - Elevation Changes - Mental Test - Concrete Tee Pads - Good Baskets - Water Fountains - Trash Cans - Restrooms - Gas Station at Park Entrance - Easy to get to

Endicott is a very challenging course with a lot of technical shots. There are very few (if any) "gimmie holes" even with pins in their shortest positions. Please do no be swayed by the inaccurate review below. Each hole has its own set of basket placements and none of them are shared by other holes. Some of the furthest placements can get close to the next tee pads, but I would never say you're in any sort of danger of being hit.
The holes are spread through trees that create very narrow fairways. Some of them are cut through the woods and only provide a 30' wide fairway. I'll say it again, this is a very technical course and not for the faint of heart. You're need to bring accuracy and patience to shoot well at Endicott. That said, playing Endicott on a regular basis will absolutely make you a better disc golfer. The course amenities are also pretty good with concrete tee pads, Mach 3 baskets, restrooms, water fountains, trash cans and retaining walls and steps where there are hills. Also, there is a Quick Trip (the Wal-Mart of gas stations) at the entrance of the park, so you can stop for anything you need or run there between rounds if you need anything. Endicott is also right off Interstate 170 and only minutes from highway 70 and the airport so it is very easy to get to from just about any part of town.
Cons: Parking - Graffiti - Corwded at times

Due to the location of the course in the park, there isn't really any good place to park near the course. The "disc golf" parking lot is at the end of hole 18, so you can't really run to the car between the front and back without a little hike. This isn't really a problem, because you can always re-fill your water bottle at the drinking fountain by hole 1, which is at the top of hole 9.
There seems to be a lot of graffiti on the course, especially on picnic tables at secluded/wooded tee pads. Unfortunately, this is not from outside sources, but rather from idiotic disc golfers that sit at these tables to "chill" and draw stupid shit on the tables that make us all look like idiots. Its not a "con" of the course, but does annoy me to see this crap at what is otherwise a very clean, well-maintained park/course.
Endicott can be crowded at times, but there were only a handful of people playing there this Sunday afternoon, so its not always packed, like some other courses are.

Other Thoughts: If you're visiting St. Louis, this is a must play. The challenge with have you thinking and re-thinking almost every shot. The tight fairways will get in your head and challenge even the most accurate players. There is a good reason we have the Final 9 at Endicott every year for the St. louis Open A-Tier

Not impressed

1    6/24/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: labrat
Pros: Good signage, trashcans, bathrooms, teepads
Cons: Too crowded, layout is horrible/dangerous.
Other Thoughts: After having this course talked up to me by several people, I decided to to takeoff work during midweek to play. Even at 2pm on a Tues there were about 20 other people playing this course. I had a group right behind me and two in front of me. Not pleasant.

I don't understand the course layout. This park does not have the room for 18 holes, so most of them are crowded together and have you throwing very near, or across other holes. With the crowds, this becomes a problem. Some of the holes have up to six alternate basket placements and as best as I could tell, the alternate basket placements were also the easier baskets for other holes. This means as you are throwing at a basket, you may have someone from another tee, in a totally different direction throwing at the same basket. I had this happen a couple of times while playing and there is nothing more annoying than having to dodge someone else's drive because they are playing the same basket from a different tee pad.

As far as the bells and whistles; nice tee pads, good signage, trashcans and a well maintained course this one has it. As for course layout, this is one of the poorest courses I have ever played. I much prefer an open course without people holding me up or crawling over the top of me while I am trying to play.Being so crowded and having each hole being so close together, it makes for a dangerous course.

If socializing with other frisbee golfers is more important than an interesting, safe course layout this may be for you. Personally, I will not be back. There are several other courses in this area that are light years ahead of this one.

Fun, but far too technical.

1    3/16/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: stach23
Pros: Good shot selection, good use of the land, elevation changes, good course flow.
Cons: Too technical, too many trees.
Other Thoughts: I can appreciate a good, hard course to play, but this course is too technical sometimes to the point of being ridiculous. I like having shots where you have to wedge a disc in between trees, but not on every hole. A course can still be challenging with open fairways and not trees in your face on the teepad. That being said, it is fun. Good variety of shots, distances, and elevation. Not long enough to really throw some bombs, but long enough to wear on you after 36 holes. I like it, and I'll play it again, but I much prefer Sioux Passage if I'm in St. Louis.

It's the Endicott of the world as we know it

1    11/25/2012   12/15/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, Par, Distance, Next Tee arrows. Some of the signs had paper clips to indicate which pin is being used but it was inconsistently done. Perhaps people have taken the clips off of some holes and left others.
2) Next tee arrows on little concrete pieces near the baskets. These are inconsistent but they will help more than they will hurt.
3) Multiple pins available on this course which is an awesome feature. The holes can change dramatically.
4) Excellent use of the elevation change on this course. There are some extreme rises and falls, but overall there are hardly any level holes. Basically elevation change is an integral feature of this courses design.
5) The turf seems to be in decent shape. Most of the fairways are in good shape so any of your drives that hit an early tree you will have decent footing.
6) There are some benches available on the course. Feel free to have a seat and enjoy the view.
7) The two retaining walls I encountered seemed to have been done professionally. This is something that rarely happens on disc golf courses. Usually some volunteer just offers up their time and they build a wall . . . too often those will fail due to improper procedures. This is all part of raising the bar in disc golf course design, installation, and maintenance. I am all for things being done properly which makes them sustainable.
8) Practice basket available in between #1 and #18. I didn't see the basket because I took a shortcut across a field, but when I was on #9 I heard people practice putting and saw where the basket was located.
9) Strong bag hooks located on some of the tee sign posts. While I wouldn't use these because my bag weighs so much, I can see their value on the wet days .
10) Excellent distance variation here with some holes playing in the 200's, 300's, and even 400's. There are a lot of different shots and discs needed on this awesome variety so bring everything you have got.
11) Beginner friendly on most holes because it is only moderately wooded. Sure there are a couple tougher holes but that is ok to expose people to a little bit of everything.
12) Foliage density is a key design feature here also with some mildly wooded, to some moderately wooded, to those few tight dense holes. This type of variety can only be considered a positive.
13) Nice big concrete tee-pads. I always appreciate a full run-up on concrete and good solid area for my plant foot.
14) While this course is in a typical park setting, there are really very few places where the interaction with other park users could be negative.
15) Plenty of garbage cans available on this course.
16) Very nice park with tennis, baseball, playgrounds, bathrooms, a pavilion, etc etc etc . . . a typical city or county park . . . but it looks to be well maintained.
17) A river/drainage swale is used as an integral feature on half a dozen holes. Skips or roll-a-ways can lead to difficult shots in this drainage swale filled with underbrush.
18) Gateway Titan baskets are in good shape. They seem to catch a little more narrow than other manufacturers baskets which I do not like (because it means missed putts). However if you hit the right spot they catch just fine. The 24 chains are helpful for that if you hit the sweet spot.
Cons: 1) Pin indicating system was inconsistently used. I am not sure if maybe someone came with a paper clip to mark a specific hole or two, but I sure wish they all were indicated if not for visual identification of the baskets . . . for the distance. I am a travelling disc golfer who plays many courses only once. The best courses will no create frustration due to lack of info for non-locals and first timers.
2) There are some areas of wear which are due to compaction and lead to erosion. I think the standard for disc golf could be to put in a 10' diameter circle of mulch around every tee. It will help with compaction and thus erosion. It will look better than worn out turf. It will really improve the image of disc golf when there are no areas of no turf/mud.
3) The most egregious areas of conflict with other park users would be around #18 tee and the sidewalk towards the practice basket . . . and also when the course plays across the outfield of a baseball field.
4) Hole #5 and #6 are a little goofy. The basket I could see from #5 tee was actually #6's basket. Fortunately for me . . . I cannot throw that far so I ended up only 25' short of the #5 basket even though I was trying to reach the further one. Then #6 tee is tucked way back to the right. I would say that #6 fairway is in danger of tee shots on #5 depending on the basket location.
5) The neighborhood looks to be a tad bit sketchy. I didn't have any problems but it looks like you might want to be careful with your vehicle and stuff inside.
6) The homes along # and #6 look to be in play with some really bad shots . . . Fortunately I threw towards #6 on #5 or my disc might have been further over to the left. I imagine plenty of discs end up in their yard . . . I wonder how many get retrieved.
7) There are a couple of holes that do run parallel to others and on a slope so it is possible to end up in the wrong fairway.
8) I did notice one thing with the Gateway baskets . . . I feel like the way they attached the chains could have been done better. Basically they attached the chains with a weld of the last chain link directly to the basket framework. The problem with this is that the chains always seem to settle on the inner part of the welded chain link. If they settled on the outer edge of that chain link the basket would effectively be 1-2" wider at the top. This might be the difference I was noticing. I am sending Dave a message right now to see if this is something they have experimented with or possibly corrected.
Other Thoughts: Another solid St. Louis course. I had to choose this one because of proximity and I am glad I made it here. I had already played the cave courses as well as Jefferson Barracks. This is a decent design and it is fun with a little bit of challenge. It is also beginner friendly so it gets knocked up because of that aspect. It is in good shape (for the most part). There are a few safety and navigation issues so it settles in as a solid 3.5 disc course for me. It could be better with some better signage and a little bit more maintenance. Jefferson Barracks just seemed to be in better shape overall and the elevation was more dramatic there too. It just seemed like a cleaner course. Either way I would return to either.

Endicott

2-4    9/8/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: birdman101
This review was updated on 10/17/2012
Pros: This course plays through a county park, with several other amenities right with it, but the course is for the most part off on its own.

It is an 18 hole course with 3 pin placements on each hole to change it up from time to time(I can't attest to how often they get moved, but at other courses in the area some get moved weekly)

Concrete tees are in great shape and perfect size.

In the two rounds I played I used 12 of the 14 discs in my bag so it requires a variety of different shots.

The front 9 is played through mature trees, and on some rolling hills, so there is a good use of elevation. Several tough uphill shots, along with nice downhill shots. Holes 5 and 6 play near some backyards which add difficulty with those yards being OB.

The back 9 is a little bit tighter playing in and out of the woods, and forcing a little more accuracy off the tee.

There is a practice basket next to the playground near hole 1.

There are tee signs (see cons) and benches at each hole
Cons: Tee signs are the same crappy ones that are at most St. Louis courses they just have the distances and a bolt telling you which position its in, so if you have never played it before you may have to walk some fairways to find the baskets. I HAVE HEARD AND SEEN PICS OF NEW TEE SIGNS NOT SURE WHEN I WILL GET UP THERE TO SAY THEY ARE ALL IN THOUGH

I don't remember seeing any trash cans on the course, but there wasn't much trash laying around either.

One of the pins for 18 is on the other side of a walking path, so be careful.

a few fairways play extremely close to one another, so there could be a bit of a safety concern with errant throws.

The layout of the course could be confusing for first time players, so you may want a map or a guide. Guide may be preferred with the tee signs. There are square blocks by each pin with an arrow pointing to the next tee, but I say 1 pointing the wrong way, and several you could barely make out the arrow at all.
Other Thoughts: It was a little wet from the rain the day before, and seems that after a lot of rain it could stay swampy for a long period of time

First tee is near the pavilion in the middle of the park, and 18 ends by the tennis courts.

This is a nice course and worth playing, but there are others in the area I would recommend over Endicott

Very Solid 18

5+    8/5/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: ervin
This review was updated on 3/14/2013
Pros: Really nice variety of in wooded and semi-open holes. Really nice terrain shots, and some really fun tunnel in the woods kind of shots. The hole that got me the first time I played it was 15, which is in the back of a culdesac of trees and is almost impossible to find unless you're with someone who knows where they're going.
Cons: The course layout is pretty top notch, but the challenge is in finding where you're headed. If you don't know your way around, or where the next hole is, you can wander all over the place. It's a better course to play with someone who knows where they're going--having played there three times, I'm still not totally sure I know where the holes go. Holes 2-8 feel like they're on top of one another, and that you can really hit someone on drives and approaches. It's a fun course, but unless you're with a someone who has played this course before, you might want to play with the league so they can show you around.

2nd only to JB in STL

1    6/18/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Jonnykatz
Pros: I rate this course a solid 4. Of the courses I've played around STL I'd rate it second only to Jefferson Barracks, which is probably my favorite course I've played anywhere as far as hole layout. The tees are excellent with good markers to the next treat the baskets on some more confusing ones. Love the variety and challenge. Hole 7, I think, had a unique tee location on top of a knoll.
Cons: Although I enjoyed the challenging layouts it would help first timers to have maps at the tees to avoid having to guess or scout ahead. Lacks long distance holes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4