Southaven, MS
Central Park Share
Uploaded By: Conar7 Hole #10

1    10/8/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: shyguy30
Pros: -Good variety of hole lengths and shapes, especially on the front 9
-Several pin placements that take full advantage of the landscape, particularly 5 and 17.
-Well-maintained park
-Nice tee pads
Cons: -Back 9 seemed to get redundant as it runs down one side of the creek and then back (creek was on the right of every hole)
-Signage was a little lacking, took some time to find the #6 tee
Other Thoughts: Really nice course that seems to get quite a bit of traffic. It seemed like a few holes really suited my eye while others really did not. Has some long holes (all marked par 3) that will force you to throw some accurate, long shots to get there in 2. Fortunately no one was behind us when we played 15, as other reviewers mentioned the only route goes right past the #14 basket. Definitely stop by if you are in the area.

A tale of two courses

1    10/8/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: A very interesting and fun front 9 with a couple of great holes and the rest are high quality. Extremely challenging...the course is park like setting throughout with very few elevation changes (with the exception of one hole) but they made the best with what they had. # 5 is a blind shot straight uphill..with water behind it...very cool. Really liked 17 as well...kinda plays like a poor mans island green. Attacking the green on 17 can be high risk/reward. There were NO mosquitos...which was a major change from most of the other areas courses. It was very easy to navigate the course....
Cons: The back 9 really flopped compared to the front 9. Holes became redundant and kinda boring...and much easier. Would much rather it have been the reverse. Quite frankly, I was ready to be done by the time we got to 17 which was the one highlight of the back nine for me.
Other Thoughts: It is definitely worth playing...another nice course in the memphis area, but this is the most redundant course I played. A longer version of the course at Arkabutla Dam.

Fun Course

1    8/1/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: The front 9...long distance throws and challenging. Water hazards all over the place. 5 is a pretty fun blind shot. Fun for long distances, and then the back 9 is fun for short, accurate throws. ALSO THE LOCALS ARE VERY FRIENDLY! Thanks for the conversation guys.
Cons: Potential flash flooding in the ditches could lose discs. No restrooms, and when I went, the grass was about 16" tall in some places due to excessive raining lately.
Other Thoughts: Southaven is a stopping point in our trip from Alabama to visit family in Missouri and Oklahoma. Even though there is no restroom, there is a great gas station with awesome fountain drinks and clean restrooms less than 1/4 miles away. It's also a great warm up round for our stops later down the road in Tupelo.

Long, man, long.

5+    5/22/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: Thtcat
Pros: Reasonably well maintained. Nice big tee pads. Plenty of parking. There is a nice mix of distances on the course.
Cons: No Bathrooms! No Water Fountain! There are times when the grass gets pretty high before it gets mowed. The course closes down for close to 3 months leading up to Christmas and through the new year for a community light show.
Other Thoughts: The front of the course is better for longer arms, and can be frustrating for newer players. #8 is un-parable for anyone that can't drive 400+ feet. #5 is an interesting blind over-hill drive. The back nine are shorter (which is more fun for me). They play along a creek that fills up during and after rainstorms, so one has to be careful to avoid grip-lock, else they get wet. The course is worth playing to be sure, but not my favorite in the area.

Give it all you got

1    3/28/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
Pros: Links style type course.

Front 9 is throw as far as you can as opposed to some of the shorter holes on the back 9. Need to be able to throw atleast 350'+ for a good score.

Some of the holes aren't only long, but tricky. The trees on this course come into play to force good shots.

Every long shot is not the same, course is very well layed out making each hole unique, not the typical 400'+ bomb shot over and over.

There is an OB walking track going around a few holes.

However, like I said, you can erase some of those strokes on the back 9.

Concrete tee pads with signs on every hole.

There is a deep creek/stream that comes into play on the majority of the holes. The time I played it it was filled up with fast moving water.

Park is well taken care of and the baskets are in good condition.
Cons: Not sure if there are any bathrooms around. I did not see one when I was there.

No benches, some of the walks are tiring.
Other Thoughts: Played this course during a tournament round. Wind was blowing 40mph with a constant drizzle which might affect my rating unfortunately.

I would recommend stopping by and playing to see what it is like even if you can't throw 400'+. You will enjoy it and respect the design.

Fun course but...

1    4/23/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: This is a fun course to play. It's mostly open, but the trees that are there are used well. There are 200' ace runs and 650' bombers. The blind shot on 5 was fun, as several folks have mentioned, although it made me kind of nervous because I could hear, but not see, little kids playing. Luckily, they were far off at a house. #4 was pretty cool too. Longish downhill to the left thru some trees and over a creek. 7 was a neat hole too - curved to the right with just enough limbs and trees to make you really think about your shot. If I remember correctly, the shorter holes are almost all on the back 9. On to why I only gave it a 2.5...
Cons: To me, it seemed like a different course front to back nine. I got the impression that they had lots of room to work with and was having a great time until I got to 16. In a park that had probably 300 people in it playing soccer, walking their babies, jogging, etc,, you don't need to install a disc golf hole that (1) runs right along the road and (2) has a basket 25' from a main parking area. I had to wait for a team of baby walkers to get close enough to me that I wasn't afraid to kill them, then there were several rows of SUVs parked within easy striking distance. Really poor design there, when there is so much room to work with.
Other Thoughts: Overall, i really liked the course, It looks like a wide open deal, but when you start lining up your shots, you realize that you have to be accurate. Just didn't like #16. I would have given it a 3.5 aside from that one hole. Someone had mentioned the lack of benches too, but there are about 4 or 5 now.

1    9/21/2008   9/24/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: Nice tee signs and long concrete tee pads. The course was fairly easy to navigate. The design is also good, with mostly long open shots (lots of shots in the 350-400 range), as well as some short technical shots. There is very little elevation, but plenty of scattered trees and a large ditch that runs through most of the course, giving most holes an extra challenge and rewarding well placed shots.

The half way point of the course does loop back near the front of the course.
Cons: Although I do not know the area, I did not see any bathrooms near or on the course. There are no benches. There were a few holes where I felt like the landscape of the land could have been better suited for better design. On one particular hole, the best shot was directly over the previous fairway/basket. I'm not really sure what they were thinking there, considering the rest of the course is spaced out nicely.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really liked the course. There were some really great pro level holes, with decent variety, and a couple of pro par 4 shots that are listed as par 3. Unfortunately, I left feeling like something was missing from the overall design of the course. With a little more thought, I believe this could be an awesome course. It is a fairly new course from what I understand and the club seems to be growing rapidly, so I look for some positive changes in the near future.

I like it....

5+    8/29/2008   9/4/2008
Review By: mcdavis17
This review was updated on 9/24/2008
Pros: As others have said, well-thought out and laid-out design. It flows with the landscape very well and is a logical course to follow. I would consider 5 (blind shot over hill) a signature hole for the course. Some holes are straight-forward in their approach, and others offer numerous risk-reward scenarios, especially as you play the course more and start to see some varying options.
Cons: Grass is usually kept well-mowed, but sometimes it seems to rain right after a mowing, so the grass can grow pretty quick and get high before the next scheduled mowing.

There are also some trees I have personal cons with....

It would also be nice to see more trash receptacles and benches installed around the course.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. Yes, some of the holes on the front 9 are LONG. However, I still play them as a 3. Will I ever par # 4 or # 8? I like to think so....

On the back 9, there are some definite birdie and ace opportunities.

EDIT -- Several trees have fallen since I posted my review, and several more are currently marked for removal before they fall as well. This is mainly on the back 9 around the ditch, but their removal should offer some interesting alternate routes.

Solid Design

1    8/31/2008   8/31/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Cement Tees are in great condition. Baskets are in excellent shape. Fairways are easily defined. (even though the course is open with trees scattered throughout) Tee signs were very helpful. They were a standard-looking tee sign but were in good condition as the course is only a few years old. The course design had a good flow to it. There was really no need for a map because finding the next box was easy from all holes with the exception of #5. The only difference for that hole was that you have to cross back across the bridge so it wasn't really that bad either.
Cons: As previously stated, hole #15has a hyzer route that plays directly over the basket for #14. There is an anhyzer route that goes around the previous green but it is not labeled as a "Mando" or anything. If this was made a mandatory, then the flow would be much safer in this part. However, I was the only one there this morning, so it didn't really affect me. My main concern was the grounds-keeping. This morning the fairway grass was mid-calf at every point and knee-high in many patches of the fairway. I finished a solo round in 1 hour and 25 minutes and at least 20 minutes were spent searching the fairways of 5 different holes for my disc. I wouldn't complain if I had to search for an errant shot, but fairway shots should be easily located. The rest of the park was pristinely manicured but the DG course looked as if it had been an afterthought for mowing. Many people were walking dogs along the paths this morning and some of the throws flirt with or transverse the trails.
Other Thoughts: I had an absolute blast playing this course. It had a longer front 9 with a shorter back 9. There were a variety of routes required including a blind uphill shot which I found difficult but enjoyable. If this course had been mowed like the rest of the park...and I don't think that would be very difficult...I would easily rate it as a 4 for excellent. I will definitely go back as my mother-in-law lives within 10 minutes of the course. I would suggest that the "par" for this course be rethought. Every hole is listed as a par 3. Normally that's ok. I shot a 56 but 3 of the holes I made 4s on were over 500 feet. The 500 ft hole #3 can be a par 3 but it seems like a stretch. There were two holes in excess of 650 feet that were listed as 3s and I just can't fathom why. I can throw between 375 and 400 feet and that still requires holing out from around 250+ for a birdie.

I know the remnants of Hurricane Faye came through Nashville late last week and I think maybe they hit Memphis too. And since it was Labor Day weekend the Parks Department may not have mowed the DG course. So if this course is typically well-manicured, I apologize for hurting anyones feelings. It just wasn't well- manicured today and that's all I have to go by.

Again, I loved this design and found it to be challenging. If you're in the Memphis area, it is definitely worth checking out.

Designed By A Big Armed Fellow I'm Betting!

1    8/21/2008   8/21/2008
Pros: I'm willing to bet that the course designer(s) throw 350" plus. The front nine allows for many of those big arm throws. The course is located in a lovely park with lots and lots of space to work. Many other course designers would be envious of this vast amount of ground. The park has some minor elevation. There is a large drainage ditch which comes into play on many holes. I played in August so it wasn't a major problem but it could spell some serious problems when filled with water. The teepads are large concrete ones. The signs are informative with no signs of vandalism. The second nine plays shorter with more trees in play, but more ditch!
Cons: I think a couple of the holes on the front nine are long just for the sake of being long. There might have been more interesting basket placements closer to the teepads. I really liked # 5 which is a blind 250' uphill shot over a ridge. But what I don't understand here is why # 6 doesn't play right down the next bowl area. Instead there's a fairly long unmarked walk to the # 7 teepad. There's a perfect bowl here which would've been a great place for the # 7 basket. I wonder if the designer(s) were really trying to keep the course away from the neighboring homes. Also, a previous reviewer stated about # 16 crossing right over # 15 basket. A very odd placement.
Other Thoughts: In spite of a couple of glitches, this is one great course set in a beautiful park setting. Easily my favorite hole was # 17, which is a 341' shot to a basket which sits on a little peninsula surrounded on two sides by the ditch. That's a awesome placement for a basket.