Greer, SC
Century Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #12 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #12 'Long' Tee. 'Short' tee pad up at left by tree.

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun course

1    1/31/2012   1/31/2014
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: It has been a while since I have played this course and realized I never reviewed it, forgive me for not being on point.

This course is in a good area, has concrete pads and easy to see baskets. This course is well thought out and a good usage of the land available. I dont recall a hole I did not think was a good hole or invalid. Good signage and a good course flow overall.

I'm from out of town and I played with some locals and they were great guys and very helpful.
Cons: A few hole seems squished in and played a long ball fields, I remember a long downhill shot with a mando on a light pole to keep players from throwing over the ball field, since I'm from out of town I bombed a big hyzer for fun, but a few holes were close to ball fields.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, good locals, good pads and signage what else do you need???

Ace central

1    3/30/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: Drewpy
Pros: Nice course, good signage, you can ace all but like 3 holes. Loved the 700 ft hole out toward the railroad tracks. Also the trains going by make it an interesting setting.
Cons: Very wet. No real challenge. Too many short holes. I had to play the whole freaking course with my Buzz.
Other Thoughts: Good course for beginners. Nice and open.

Cozy and Comfy

1    2/17/2013   2/18/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Century Park is fast and fun 18 hole course that gets more interesting on the back nine. Lots of chances to get under par on the front nine. 1, 2, 3 were nice holes, different lengths and shapes, 4 and 5 both short and straight, 6 is longer but totally within reach, then 7, 8, and 9 short and straight. I shot 25 on the front, but if I had a few more rounds and was putting well, a low 20's could be realistic.

The back nine starts with a nice turnover shot for RHBH throw, missed that putt, too. 11 is a good long hole with a narrow gap halfway in, maybe the first hole where I felt good making a 3. 12 is another great hole, difficult tee shot, longer and elevation dropping considerably. Got the first bogey there. Followed it up by skipping into the water on 13, another bogey, but on an easy hole. 14 has a good nice fairway along the other side of the creek with mandos on both sides around 125'. Par on that and 15, a long open hyzer. 16 is a short hole downhill, and across a zig-zag bend in the creek. I threw right side, but lucked out and stayed dry on a sandbar, two-putted for a par. 17 is a long straight fairway with a fence on the left side, and trees to the right. I threw a terrific low line-drive that started on the left and turned over gently to the right, then skipped and slid 6 feet past the pin. Feel good birdie! 18 is a solid finishing hole, long and slightly uphill, and some mature trees dotting the fairway. Threw a terrible approach and ended with another bogey.

The flow of this course is very good, the tee boxes are concrete, and have signs, baskets are nice with cool blue rims, and nice benches and trash cans are furnished on every tee also.
Cons: A few of the holes on the front nine are very simple, not necessarily a con, but lacking any serious challenge and detracting from overall quality. Brush had been nicely cleared in most cases, but there are some spots, as well as well as water in play on a few holes. I managed not to lose any plastic. May have children and families in the park for the playgrounds and ball park. Train tracks alongside holes 4 and 12, but none passed while I was there.
Other Thoughts: I shot even, but missed three short birdie putts, and there are more to be had. You could really post great scores if you put a bunch in the bank early and stay clean on the back nine.

First time playing here was a fun day. I played the day after some snowfall, but it was a beautiful day and the course was reasonably dry, and in very nice condition. Several other groups playing, everyone was courteous, and two let me play through. Great amenities, interesting park, a few really nice holes. Good mix of left, right, middle, and varied distance wise, with touches of elevation changes. Similar to Earlewood Park in Columbia or Timmons Park in Greenville, but easier with less elevation. There are some better courses in the area, but I would recommend this course if you have the time and motivation.

5+    10/22/2012   10/23/2012
Review By: gatorfan8807
Pros: This is a great course and glad to call it my home course! It is great for all skill levels. It is not a long course however, I just play everything as par 3's, some might think this as a con but I enjoy it. Almost impossible to get lost between the basket and the tee pad (except between 13 and 14, just go over the bridge). Overall it is a fun course
Cons: I wish there was one more long hole like 15. One thing that keeps this course challenging, and make me coming back is that there are so many trees and if you don't throw it just right then you're just praying it doesn't hit a tree.
Other Thoughts: There are many chances for aces, but also for 4 or 5's. THere are some holes Ive never really found a line I can hit consistently but that makes the course fun. If your in town, and have nothing else to do stop by and play a round or even nine holes (back nine are more fun and challenging)!!

Great Course!!!

5+    9/10/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: TeamScottSmith
Pros: Some shorter holes, and some longer ones.
Moderate elevation changes.
Perfect amount of tree hazards. Lots of trees, but not too many.
Well marked.
Great pads and baskets.
Great fun.
Close to home (for me, anyway).
Doesn't particularly favor righty or lefty (or forehand) players. Good mix.
Cons: For some people, poison ivy.
Sometimes, park is too busy.
A few holes on top of each other, watch out for incoming on holes 2 and 5.
Grounds maintenance is spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Other Thoughts: This course is a long course for a beginner, and a short course for a pro. Guess what? That makes it a great length for the rest of us. I also like how it starts short, and finishes long.

I love the tree hazards on this course. The quantity of trees on this course is about perfect. They are always there to make you throw accurately, but they do not define the course, or hinder the fun. Sometimes you hit one, but most of the time, they are simply great providers of shade.

The same could be said for the water hazard. It's in play on quite a few holes, but isn't a dominant feature.

Decent Intermediate/Advanced Level Course

1    5/25/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: Smileyaili17
This review was updated on 6/3/2012
Pros: --18 Holes
--Large tees and newer baskets
--The hole diagrams are EXCELLENT (see pictures)
--The course is laid out in such a way where you can play the front 9 OR the back 9, if you only want to play 9 holes
--There is a good variety in the difficulty aspect between the front 9 and back 9 (the front 9 is easy while the back 9 is more challenging)
--Good practice for many different technical shots
--Good challenge (I had to think about my shots; there were a few shots where I had to make a tough decision between which throw to use, which was a big plus for me)
--Good OB and mandy placements
--Course map at the entrance right before the first tee
Cons: --If it bothers you to have dirty discs, the grounds around some of the baskets were dusty (I would put wood chips around the baskets to fix this)
--There was a lot of brush around all the holes and I'm not sure if there was any poison ivy, but the brush also makes it easy to lose discs (I almost lost one of my discs in the brush on the left side of hole 3).
--The course flow is a little confusing after holes 6 and 13 for first timers (the tee for 7 is hidden from view behind the bushes behind the basket of 6 and the tee for 14 is across the bridge that you see a little ways beyond the basket of hole 13)
--The course was pretty busy when I went (even though it was during the hottest part of the day) and I can imagine it being busy all the time due to being the only course in Greer
--Rocky in certain areas (I got a quite a few chips on my discs due to the many rough rocks around the baskets on 3, 4 and 11)
--It's easy to lose a disc on hole 17 since there is a fence on the left hand side of the fairway, and beyond the fence is dense shrubbery (I lost a disc here. If you find an orange Innova Leopard, she's yours!)
--Hole 1 placement is right next to the parking lot, and if you throw a high hyzer by accident, it could fly onto it. Also, hole 12 is placed right next to the baseball field, so if there is a baseball game it could cause interference if your disc flies onto the field.
--Not for beginners who have never played on a course before (if you have a feel for it though, definitely try your skills out on it)
Other Thoughts: If you're in the area, check it out! It's worth it for anyone with at least a little bit of disc golf experience. It's a good 18 hole course to practice technical shots. It made me think hard about my shots, and it gave me a good challenge. I would love to play this course again!

Grading Criteria:

Landscape quality
3.5/5

Baskets, Tees and Hole Diagrams
5/5

Variety in hole distances

Variety in hole types
(field/wooded holes; hilly/level holes; etc)

Difficulty/Challenge

Course flow

Outside interference
(pedestrians; traffic noise distractions; etc)

Fun factor

Use of Available Land

Specific issues:
(certain problems with certain holes; course unique issues; etc)

Hole 17 placement
2/5

Total: 4/5

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a great course for a group of players with different abilities. The holes aren't too long or too short. There is an awesome playground to drop the kids at. The front 9 loops back so you can get those kids something from the ice cream stand.

Other Pros:
- perfect, large concrete tees
- perfect tees signs
- blue ringed DisCatchers
- creek in play but not too deep
- mandos used
- elevation used
- course map at kiosk
- garbage cans, benches
Cons: My biggest complaint- I saw a lot of broken glass on the back 9.

While I was in the parking lot I saw an errant throw from hole #1. The hole plays close to the parking lot. There is a mando and a wall but, it is a left turning hole and a RHBH can easily land a disc on a car.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole was #14, it has a double mando with a creek to the left. There was a lot of money put into this park.

I think they did a great job making this course. This is definitely a good play.

2-4    12/27/2011   2/23/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: I thought there were a good mix of shots on this course, lots of elevation changes which allow for rollers and thomahawks. Trees come into play a good bit on the front 9 but that has a lot to do with how you choose to shape your shots. I enjoyed playing this course and brought along two people who had never played before and they enjoyed the course as well. There is water, and I'm sure it gets worse when if it rains a lot but nothing that warrants losing a disc. Lots of signage and the course was easy to navigate. I especially like the fact that it's build around the park and baseball/softball fields since there's not a lot of people walking through your shots. There are several long holes that are more open and really let you go for distance. Need to be able to control your shots and putt if you want birdies. Benches at most tee boxes and the tee pads are in good shape.
Cons: The only real draw back is probably more of a personal preference than a course flaw. I wish the course had a little more distance, you get that in a few of the holes but the park itself doesn't really allow for that factor. The use of elevation and somewhat narrow fairways is a good test of your skill. I agree with the guy who said adding another set of tees for a little more distance.
Other Thoughts: I think they've done a great job using the landscape to maximize the courses potential. A couple holes are a little short but they play to pins that are tucked behind trees. Overall I thought this was a really good course and worth playing if you're in the area.

Play if for fun

1    1/21/2012   1/28/2012
Review By: ssittler
Pros: > Short course that can be fun for all ages and skill levels
> Good tees, baskets and signs
> Great signs and benches. Course is also full of trash cans - no excuse for missing one!
Cons: > Many holes on the front 9 are similar length/play
Other Thoughts: Not a destination course but a great place to bring kids and/or new people to the sport.

Great Course

5+    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: WaterLogged
This review was updated on 2/12/2012
Pros: This course is very forgiving and fun for all skill levels. Good length holes and a variety of terrain and curves. I would recommend this course to anyone.
Cons: The only negative thing i can say is that the course can be crowded on weekend afternoons, but i have only had to wait once and i decided to play the back nine first.

< Prev 1 2 3 4