Greer, SC
Century Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #10 (Taken 9/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4

1    4/1/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Century Park features an 18-hole course that I would describe as city park style, but a really good one as it is not super easy or boring. It is set on a generous portion of land that is pretty much used only for disc golf. I liked that it was not crammed into a small area, and when you are finished you feel like you saw a lot of different scenery.

Surprisingly, there is quite of bit of variety here for a parks course as I felt each hole was different than the rest. Most of the obstacles are throwing around trees. Distance control is critical if you want to get some birdies and score low. Though mostly flat, there is some elevation used. No hole is super long, but there is good variation in distance from hole to hole and overall. Most of the holes have plenty of options of how to attack the basket allowing for creativity and different shot styles to be utilized. There are many holes that play along some creeks- including a pretty large creek on holes #14 and #16, and these holes provide good risk/reward of getting close to the basket vs ending up in the water.

The grassier fairways were mowed, and unless you land in a deep part of the creek, you are likely not losing any discs here with little to no tall rough or undergrowth.

Navigation was a breeze first time here without a map. Large parking area and obvious kiosk and entryway to the course area that proves the city and the park are supportive of disc golf. If needed you come back near the parking lot after 8 holes. Nice concrete tees. Tee signs are small but effective. The blue Discatchers work good here not being in a thick woods course so they are easy to see, and I like to see baskets that aren't yellow every now and then.
Cons: This course has a lot of dirt fairways (rather than grass) for being a non-forest area, which means it will be muddy after a rain, and there are several areas that seem to stay pretty soggy near the creeks and drainage areas.

Though flow is generally good and the course uses a lot of land, there are a couple of longer walks: #13 to #14 around to the other side of the creek is necessary because they are great holes, but a closer bridge would be better (maybe one got washed out recently?) #18 does not end right at the parking, but ends around the playground area.

#12 especially, but also #13, has the possibility of landing on the baseball fields. Just because there is a mando and o.b. doesn't mean people are going to throw perfect shots. So these holes could be tricky during games and potentially a safety hazard- I do believe this hole had a 2nd tee, so I would probably not play #12 from the long/elevated tee if there was a game going on.

For the most part other park activities do not interfere. But if busy and crowded you may have to deal with walkers, cars on the park road around 17 and 18, kids on playgrounds, and stuff like that.

Nothing is really epic or super special about this course, it is just a nice standard course that is playable by all skill levels.

For some this might be a con, there is a chance of losing discs on the holes around the big creek when the water is high.
Other Thoughts: I found this course really fun and relaxing. I would recommend this course to just about anybody. If you can only play 1 or 2 courses in this area than skip this one in favor of Grand Central, Tyger, or Pipeline, but definitely not a waste if you have time. I would play here again if in the area. It was actually a nice change of pace from some of the tougher courses I played that week.

It seems #16 is in a different spot now than the pics on DGCR. There was a big wooden bridge between the tee and basket. The hole still plays over the creek. Maybe the bridge is new or the hole is new to replace the one from 13-14? No biggie, still a good hole, it just didn't look like the picture here.

Excellent Course

1    8/18/2015   8/20/2015
Review By: trotline32
Pros: Length of Course
Variety of Holes
Concrete Tee Boxes
Cons: It gets a little muddy in places when wet
No bridge from the basket of 13 to the tee at 14.
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course! Wonderful layout with plenty of variety. You don't have to have a strong arm with a ton of distance for this course. This is a very forgiving course as well. There are plenty of trees but no overly thick brush to deal with if you land off the fairway. There are a few holes that are close to each other so it could get a little cramped if it's crowded. Also, when we played it was raining and there were several places that became slick. Nothing a little sand or mulch couldn't fix. I'd like to see a bridge added at the basket of 13. As it stands you either have to rock hop across a shallow creek or walk down to the 16th hold a use that bridge to cross over. Overall this is a wonderful course to play and I will visit it often.

Fun Park Style Course

5+    2/7/2015   6/30/2015
Review By: Streetcar
Pros:
1. Well laid out. Nice use of available space around a municipal park and ball fields.
2. Good variety of holes.
3. Technical game emphasized over long game.
4. Great place to walk.
5. Spacious, concrete tee pads with tee signs and good navigation markers.
6. Kept up reasonably well.
Cons:
1. Space required puts players on No. 2 and No. 7 tee within the hyzer throwing line on No. 1. Some tree cover is available.
2. No. 8 is not much of a hole, just kinda connects 7 (which is a great hole) to No. 9 tee.
3. Must share the park with non players who will spill over into the course just to take a stroll, seemingly oblivious to flying discs.
4. This course can get very crowded at times.
5. One bridge was out in February between 13 and 14.
Other Thoughts: Century was the second course I played when I first started, so it is somewhat of a sentimental favorite of mine. My first impressions have not changed. It is a great layout, a reasonably good test of skill and sufficiently challenging for beginners and intermediates alike. Pros will not find much challenge here, but for the rest of us.....The creek holes (13, 14, and 16) make use of the creek hazard very well. I would say 16, though an approach putter throw, is the signature hole at Century. I am always tempted to make the ace and birdie run, but the shot has to be accurate. Easy par playing safe or risky birdie, take your pick. As in life, it's not so much the situation, but the decision that adds to the level of interest.

Very nice course.

1    5/15/2015   5/19/2015
Review By: Rappel_Welch
Pros: Well maintained trails, tees, and signage. The course is well-shaded for the most part with only a few holes in the open. The course was clean with very little litter.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoyed this course and the area. It is wel-maintained, which makes playing a pleasure.

Moved to my favorites!

2-4    2/28/2015   3/1/2015
Review By: lexxerd
Pros: Took a four day trip to Greenville to check out all the disc golf courses in the area with my girl friend. Out of 6 courses we got to play, we just kept coming back to Century Park every day for our 2nd round of the day.

The course has nice sized concrete tee-pads, good signage, trash cans and benches at most holes, and the park was very clean and well broken in. The course is packed into a small area but plays very smoothly and has many different types of shots. There are a few par fours on the course where you can really launch your discs and there are many tricky shots around the trees. The front nine only has a very small creek that runs through the course and is almost not worth mentioning. The back nine has a larger creek near by, but not in play. Holes twelve, thirteen, and fourteen are near the larger creek but play around it. Hole four and sixteen were two of my favorites holes to play, and I almost got an ace on both! There is an active train track near by which adds to the very cool scenery of Century Park. There are bathrooms and water fountains by the playground and to the right of the parking lot. Century Park has made it into my favorite courses to play and I will be revisiting soon to attempt to beat my own score!
Cons: Everyone always finds something to put in the Cons section, but I really can not think of anything I disliked about this course.
Other Thoughts: In wet conditions, the course can be a little muddy, but it is manageable and not swampy.

Fun course

1    1/31/2012   1/31/2014
Review By: BobbyCorn
Pros: It has been a while since I have played this course and realized I never reviewed it, forgive me for not being on point.

This course is in a good area, has concrete pads and easy to see baskets. This course is well thought out and a good usage of the land available. I dont recall a hole I did not think was a good hole or invalid. Good signage and a good course flow overall.

I'm from out of town and I played with some locals and they were great guys and very helpful.
Cons: A few hole seems squished in and played a long ball fields, I remember a long downhill shot with a mando on a light pole to keep players from throwing over the ball field, since I'm from out of town I bombed a big hyzer for fun, but a few holes were close to ball fields.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, good locals, good pads and signage what else do you need???

Ace central

1    3/30/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: Drewpy
Pros: Nice course, good signage, you can ace all but like 3 holes. Loved the 700 ft hole out toward the railroad tracks. Also the trains going by make it an interesting setting.
Cons: Very wet. No real challenge. Too many short holes. I had to play the whole freaking course with my Buzz.
Other Thoughts: Good course for beginners. Nice and open.

Cozy and Comfy

1    2/17/2013   2/18/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Century Park is fast and fun 18 hole course that gets more interesting on the back nine. Lots of chances to get under par on the front nine. 1, 2, 3 were nice holes, different lengths and shapes, 4 and 5 both short and straight, 6 is longer but totally within reach, then 7, 8, and 9 short and straight. I shot 25 on the front, but if I had a few more rounds and was putting well, a low 20's could be realistic.

The back nine starts with a nice turnover shot for RHBH throw, missed that putt, too. 11 is a good long hole with a narrow gap halfway in, maybe the first hole where I felt good making a 3. 12 is another great hole, difficult tee shot, longer and elevation dropping considerably. Got the first bogey there. Followed it up by skipping into the water on 13, another bogey, but on an easy hole. 14 has a good nice fairway along the other side of the creek with mandos on both sides around 125'. Par on that and 15, a long open hyzer. 16 is a short hole downhill, and across a zig-zag bend in the creek. I threw right side, but lucked out and stayed dry on a sandbar, two-putted for a par. 17 is a long straight fairway with a fence on the left side, and trees to the right. I threw a terrific low line-drive that started on the left and turned over gently to the right, then skipped and slid 6 feet past the pin. Feel good birdie! 18 is a solid finishing hole, long and slightly uphill, and some mature trees dotting the fairway. Threw a terrible approach and ended with another bogey.

The flow of this course is very good, the tee boxes are concrete, and have signs, baskets are nice with cool blue rims, and nice benches and trash cans are furnished on every tee also.
Cons: A few of the holes on the front nine are very simple, not necessarily a con, but lacking any serious challenge and detracting from overall quality. Brush had been nicely cleared in most cases, but there are some spots, as well as well as water in play on a few holes. I managed not to lose any plastic. May have children and families in the park for the playgrounds and ball park. Train tracks alongside holes 4 and 12, but none passed while I was there.
Other Thoughts: I shot even, but missed three short birdie putts, and there are more to be had. You could really post great scores if you put a bunch in the bank early and stay clean on the back nine.

First time playing here was a fun day. I played the day after some snowfall, but it was a beautiful day and the course was reasonably dry, and in very nice condition. Several other groups playing, everyone was courteous, and two let me play through. Great amenities, interesting park, a few really nice holes. Good mix of left, right, middle, and varied distance wise, with touches of elevation changes. Similar to Earlewood Park in Columbia or Timmons Park in Greenville, but easier with less elevation. There are some better courses in the area, but I would recommend this course if you have the time and motivation.

5+    10/22/2012   10/23/2012
Review By: gatorfan8807
Pros: This is a great course and glad to call it my home course! It is great for all skill levels. It is not a long course however, I just play everything as par 3's, some might think this as a con but I enjoy it. Almost impossible to get lost between the basket and the tee pad (except between 13 and 14, just go over the bridge). Overall it is a fun course
Cons: I wish there was one more long hole like 15. One thing that keeps this course challenging, and make me coming back is that there are so many trees and if you don't throw it just right then you're just praying it doesn't hit a tree.
Other Thoughts: There are many chances for aces, but also for 4 or 5's. THere are some holes Ive never really found a line I can hit consistently but that makes the course fun. If your in town, and have nothing else to do stop by and play a round or even nine holes (back nine are more fun and challenging)!!

Great Course!!!

5+    9/10/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: TeamScottSmith
Pros: Some shorter holes, and some longer ones.
Moderate elevation changes.
Perfect amount of tree hazards. Lots of trees, but not too many.
Well marked.
Great pads and baskets.
Great fun.
Close to home (for me, anyway).
Doesn't particularly favor righty or lefty (or forehand) players. Good mix.
Cons: For some people, poison ivy.
Sometimes, park is too busy.
A few holes on top of each other, watch out for incoming on holes 2 and 5.
Grounds maintenance is spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Other Thoughts: This course is a long course for a beginner, and a short course for a pro. Guess what? That makes it a great length for the rest of us. I also like how it starts short, and finishes long.

I love the tree hazards on this course. The quantity of trees on this course is about perfect. They are always there to make you throw accurately, but they do not define the course, or hinder the fun. Sometimes you hit one, but most of the time, they are simply great providers of shade.

The same could be said for the water hazard. It's in play on quite a few holes, but isn't a dominant feature.

< Prev 1 2 3 4