Greer, SC
Century Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #16 (Taken 9/2009)

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Road Trip Perfection

1    9/5/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 11/15/2009
Pros:
- This is the kind of course you want to get out of your car and play when you're on a road trip. Beautiful, challenging holes... not too long, not too short, not too open, not too tight - perfect. Almost all the holes are between 220-340' (with some hovering at 200 and others hovering at 400) and either require some sort of gap to hit, a mandy to be made, or OB to avoid... or all three. Fun times.
- Beautiful tee-pads... nice and long concrete pads with wider bases than fronts. Gives you the ability to really shape your run-up.
- Nice signage, benches, baskets, trashcans, park setting, etc... Just really nice.
- Some of the holes are gems... 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17. With hole 12 being a world class golf hole.
- Great use of the limited elevation available.
- Although there was great signage and a good map... they were un-needed. The course had great flow.
Cons:
- None really... I can nit-pick though.
- Some trash laying around the course.
- I would say most of the holes are straight... some require shaping, but nonetheless straight. There were no real serious doglegs.
- Like I said before... if you're on a road trip this is the type of course you want to play. Definitely better than the other 3 courses I played in the Greenville area.
- As mentioned by the ValkKid... the Par 4's are really 3's... they're just not quite long enough to be 4's, although (I would imagine) rarely 2'd.
- This course has low numbers to be shot... but, you'll have to shoot well, nothing is given to you freely. Only good/great shots (depending on the hole) will yield realistic birdie opportunities.
- My Score: -9

Raw But Nice And Will Be Better With Time!

1    7/19/2009   7/26/2009
Pros: I can see this course is still in the develomental stage. It's in a multi-use park with ballfields, kids tot lot, little snack shop, etc. Very nice informative tee signs on thick (12" X 12") poles low to the ground. If the sign is damaged, it will be easy to replace it with another laminated one. The teepads were fine and there were a few next tee signs, also. Navigation was pretty smooth. There were a lot of interesting, fun holes on this course. # 6, I think, is a long straight downhill shot where you really would like to carry your tee shot across a fairly, deep creek before pitching up to the basket which is up the hill ahead. To me, the signature hole on the course is # 16. It's looks like a simple little ACE run, maybe 200 ft. But the basket is guarded by a creek with steep banks on two sides. It's a very birdable hole but one that probably ends up yielding quite a few bogies, as well.
Cons: The earth on the front seems raw, as if it's just been scraped by a dozer or something. Also, the entire front nine is littered with small branches. I'm sure the locals are working on cleaning these up.
Other Thoughts: There are a couple of holes listed as par 4's which are probably closer to 3's or maybe 3.5's. Two holes ( # 13 and # 14) play up and down a creek giving you the lost disc in the water experience. The second of these has the basket set fairly close to the creek so you have to be extra careful of your approach. I liked this course, enjoyed playing it. Thought it was fair and had some very well thought out holes. Try it! You'll like it, I'm sure. Nice course design work by whoever designed it.

B- = Be nice but also a Bit funky

1    9/15/2007   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Cons: Can't put my finger on it exactly, since this course's individual elements that I grade upon add up higher than the rating I gave it. For some reason this was not a fun course for me. I think it had too many funky shaped holes where you had to try to force your disc to fly in ways that were not natural. That is OK for 2-4 holes per course, but it seemed like this course had much more funk than that.
Other Thoughts: I did visit the course while it was newish so maybe/hopefully things have been refined since.

It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

This is a Great Am Course!

5+    2/14/2009   2/16/2009
Review By: LiquidIce
This review was updated on 7/25/2010
Pros: (Note: I first played this course in Feb 09, but my updated, current review is 5/28/2010)

- This is a great Am course! Beginners that start here will be introduced to the game they way they should: difficult, but attainable. Am's that dedicate alot of time to the game will find this track to be just right. Pro's will bring their midrange, putter, and maybe a driver (notice: 3 discs can get the job done here) and try for birdies on every hole.
- Tee signs at each hole that are accurate. The layout is not hard to follow either
-The course shows promise for the area (Greer)
- The course is getting alot of foot traffic and the number of younger players is growing, which in turn will intrigue older ones
- Will be able to host small tourney's well
- Adjacent bathrooms and vending machines in the park/playground beside.
Cons: - Holes 3 and 11 are right by a train track that is still in use, so noise can be a factor (this is kinda a cool feature though. How many courses have you played that had a working train near-by? This also pays homage to the area's history, sort of)
Other Thoughts: -The course redesign really has improved the playing experience (I had the chance of playing it before). I have to tip my hat to Russel Schwarz for a nice redesign in the space available.

-This area is also family friendly because of the adjacent, large playground.

Still Closed

2-4    3/15/2009   12/24/2008
Review By: bethehole
This review was updated on 3/18/2009
Pros: I am updating my review as I have been back to the course and played it on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. I LOVE IT! Kudos to all the hard work that Bill, Carla, Nathan, and others have done to transform this course into one of the best in the area. This course combines bombs and finesse and should be fun for any level of player.
Cons: Still a work in progress but thanks to the above mentioned people, this course is coming around nicely. Still need signs on the tee pads but the new cement pads are quite nice!
Other Thoughts: This has become my favorite course in the Greenville area. See you at the Iron Man this weekend!

1 2 3 4 Next >