Columbus, MS
Hole #15 Red Tee

Way out of the way

5+    9/8/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: MikeK
Pros: Elevation, concrete tee pads on both am and pro tees, lots of trees and shade. Nice views of Lake Lowndes. Nice cabins in the park, and nice campgrounds as well.
Cons: Some people won't like the $3 fee to enter the park, but there are not many cons. Tee signs seem to have fallen into disrepair. I'd rate this course a 4.5 if the tee signs were repaired, because navigation is not easy without them.
Other Thoughts: Lake Lowndes is a beautiful state park that is way off the beaten path, but it has a fine disc golf course with two sets of concrete tee pads. After hole 10, two holes are played "A & B" that have a high danger of losing discs to the lake. Hole A is my favorite on the course---it plays down to an ever-slendering peninsula tip with the basket at the point and water very close to the pin. I really enjoy the shade on this course, and the fairways are pretty fair for the most part; in other words, there are no dumb fairways that require more luck than skill. The layout is pretty creative and not repetitive, although there aren't many hook hyzers or forced forehands. The key to scoring well at Lake Lowndes is throwing it very very straight through tunnels on a lot of holes and then finishing left or right.

Favorite Course

2-4    4/15/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: DiscDawg015
Pros: This course is amazing. There is a good variation of forehand and backhand shots available. Also, there is an Am and a Pro pad for every hole. Concrete tee pads which are always good are on every hole. For the most part you stay close to the main road so it makes using the map easier. There haven't been too many people to worry about on the campground when I have played, but I'm sure in the fall there might be a bit more. Even then they shouldn't get in the way of any holes. It is very beautiful course too. On a couple shots you get to throw over the water (or next to it). The water isn't bad either, it is easy to throw over it and if a disc were to go in it the water is very shallow and you can see in it most of the time.
Cons: It can be a little confusing the first time. Make sure you print out the map to use. A couple holes you have to walk back the way you came to get to the next tee. The tee signs are in rough shape too, some you can't even see. Every hole is par 3 and you can see the basket from almost every tee pad, so that helps.
Other Thoughts: While paying $3 might not sound worth it to play disc golf on some courses, with this one you get your money plus some. The course is very well kept and I'm sure the money helps out.
There are two holes right after 10, A and B, my friends and I use those holes to replace any bad score from the 1st ten holes, a bonus chance to say.
This course has been one of my favorites and I wish I had the chance to play it more often.

Fun course

1    6/2/2012   6/5/2012
Review By: slowRoll
Pros: Clean course with tall pine trees throughout create the pine needle flooring on several holes that I really love. Dual teepads that are very well marked. Many of the holes can be birdied even from the long tees while still offering a challenge. Friendly park staff that seemed to go out of their way to wave at us everytime we saw them. The 2 added holes A & B between #10 and #11 make great use of a small peninsula and are some of the toughest holes on the course.
Cons: Lack of benches and trashcans throughout the course could be a problem for some people. There is one confusing navigation spot after finishing hole #2 where it would seem to be #3 you are looking at, but it is actually #17 with #3 being just across the street.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course in Northern MS. The ranger station near hole 1 has a complete pro shop in it. Over half of the holes on this course are in the shade making it a great late spring/ summer course to play. Many, many birdies available here make for a fun course without ever feeling like you are not being challenged. Overall this one deserves a 4.0 rating for an Excellent course.

My first time!!!

5+    10/24/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: boxmark25
Pros: I really love the challenge at this course. I have played it enough that i have learned what disc do what where. I think the solid mixture open and wooded is great. At first i would never even think about throwing 20A, but now i throw that hole everytime i go. I think this is a great course.
Cons: I only have two issues with the course itself. The first is the tee signs many of the signs are missing or so messed up that you can't read them. They are also very low and i have scrapped my leg several times. The other issue is the pay to play. I know three dollars is not a lot and i love to support the state parks but it does get irritating.
Other Thoughts: Love it!! Was weened on it!!! Will recomend to anyone i know!!!

Fun Course wiht Diverse Holes

1    2/13/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This was a really great course and I very much enjoyed the round I played. While I shot even, or maybe one over (using par 3 for each hole), I still enjoyed a lot of complexities within the course. It's great to play a course with a signature hole, or a hole that you will remember (see below) and this course had a great one.

- There are some really great elevation changes which allow you to get some great birdie chances if you are willing to get all into the throw.

- Other reviewers mentioned this, but the staff in the lodge is great. They love disc golfers, have a decent little disc selection, will rent to you if you're without discs, and have scorecards and pencils.

- Hole A is basically on a little triangle of land. It's tricky because you will have a strong chance of losing a disc either in your drive, or your approach. I recommend having a spotter there to stop the disc if you come into the hole with speed. This is easily the signature hole of this course and a hole that I will never forget playing in Disc Golf.

- Also, there was a nice playground toward the middle and the end of the round where my daughter and wife could play for a little during my round.

- One of the better courses I've ever played. Very enjoyable round.
Cons: - I was there on a Saturday and there wasn't a lot of activity on the course. This is a con because it's sad there weren't others taking advantage of this course.

- While this was a very enjoyable round, it was not that challenging in distance needed for the drives. If you're a pretty good player you should fair well here, but you won't be too challenged (which is a nice confidence boost now and again).

- I will list water hazzards as a con, but they weren't that bad. Hole A was the worst, but as I said in the Pros section, I think that added a lot of character to the course. If you don't have discs that float you need to either have a friend or a big stick!
Other Thoughts: I always like a course that is set within a state or city park. This will mean it's well maintained and there will be something else to do there if I want to make a day out of the round. I have a little girl and it's really great to have her and my wife play on the playground for a little bit of my round when I play. It's tough to get them into an entire round, but I don't want to just play half the course either, so this allows for a great compromise!

1    3/25/2009   1/25/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Lake Lowndes is an excellent 20 hole course that will challenge you, but it also allows you to have fun while enjoying the beauty of the natural surroundings. The course is nicely spread out and combines a balanced mix of gently wooded, dense woods with rough, open, elevation, and several holes with the lake in play. Each hole is unique. There are two sets of tees that are at two different levels, but both make the holes challenging.

The park and course are extremely well taken care of. Fairways are mowed and there was no trash anywhere. There are restrooms at the park office near hole #1. The workers love to talk disc golf, especially about their course. There are scorecards available with maps. They also had discs for sale.

Even though you don't arrive back at the parking lot until after hole #18, there were some restrooms and a picnic pavilion about half way through the course.
Cons: Navigation was a little tricky in a couple of spots- the next hole you see might not be the next one you play. The yellow topped wooden posts as tee signs get the job done, but it would be nice to see a course of this quality to invest in some really nice professional looking signs with hole maps, next tee, etc.

Mississippi State Parks do charge $3 a day/car to enter the park, but this is well worth it.
Other Thoughts: The most memorable holes to me were the several that play along/over the lake. There are chances to lose discs, but this can be avoided with smart, well-placed shots. (no holes where you must carry 300' over the water) These are not only fun holes, but are also beautiful picturesque holes. My favorite is the peninsula hole, hole A. (I played the course after days of heavy rain and the lake was high increasing the water hazard area and reducing the size of the fairways quite a bit, but the course was still perfectly playable, just a little more challenging.)

I thoroughly enjoyed each hole of this course. I highly recommend this course to any player looking for a challenging good time.

This park has all the standard features of a state park including a nice lake. I strongly endorse the Mississippi State Parks Disc Golf courses. The courses are fun and very well kept and the people are nice. They are perfect for taking a disc golf vacation with your friends or family.

A Walk in The Park...

1    3/26/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Lake Lowndes has an amazing blend of design elements and immaculate groundskeeping. Tee signs were very helpful. Dual concrete tees for most holes. The holes with water were definitely challenging, but fair.
Cons: My only issue with Lake Lowndes were a few navigational issues. Sometimes the next tee was not what logically should be the next tee. We teed off for hole 3...only to find that it was hole 17. Then we had to collect our drives and go find hole 3. This is a minor issue as we were playing without a guide or a map. If this were fixed, I believe this course would be pretty flawless, as far as amenities. Park is way off the "beaten path".
Other Thoughts: If you enjoy a challenge, Lake Londes is an excellent course. For those players who don't like the water throws, I suggest skipping the A and B holes. I absolutely loved these holes. Hole A is easily in my top 5. Add in the fact that it had been raining and the lake level was up. The pin was sitting about 2 feet from the water...on all sides. It was awesome. I also like hole B from a design perspective. It is "ballsy" to design a hole where a big anhyzer is required to go out over the water to get around a tree. Lots of lost discs and angry players maybe. I wouldn't care if i lost a disc there. It was a challenge and a great hole.

Hole 17 and 18 are funny. Let me explain. The course requires a fairly long hike as it is well spread out over the provided land. Then you get to close your round with the longest open hole on the course (17) and an uphill shot back to the ranger station and parking lot (18). These holes are much more difficult at the end of a round.

All in all, I loved this course. It is a little out of the way, but don't let that deter you. It truly is an excellent course brought to us by an excellent State Parks System in Mississippi.

Summer Sizzler

6/14/2008   6/16/2008
Review By: manglin
Pros: Well maintained and marked course with two sets of concrete tee pads. The manicured grass fairways are very nice. The course challenges a variety of your skills. There is a nice lodge with facilities.
Cons: $3 entry fee to the State Park. To get between #12 and #13, you must cross the tee area for #9. On a crowded day, that could cause problems. There are some tough water holes. 20 holes seems odd, but it scores like other 18-hole courses.
Other Thoughts: I played this course during the Summer Sizzler in June 08 from the Yellow tee pads. I enjoyed the the tournament and the course. There are several thickly wooded holes and some wide open holes and a few holes with water in play. The course favors a sidearm player or a left-handed backhand player. In general, the holes are short.

Played from yellow tees.

1    6/14/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: noahat
This review was updated on 11/28/2008
Pros: Very fun course to play. Very well manicured. The grass is nice and short on fairways, and the paths in the woods are hard dry dirt. In other words, not much standing water, vines, leaves and pine straw where it shouldn't be. Nice scenery, and not too crowded.
Cons: Some holes seem to require more luck than skill, which is kind of annoying.
Other Thoughts: Lots of short technical holes, not too many long wide open shots.

This rating is for the yellow tee boxes only, which is the shortest. There is also the slightly longer, and harder red tees. Also, the course can be redesigned to be the gold course which makes the normal 20 hole course an extremely difficult 18 hole course, although I have not actually played the red tees or the gold course.