Brownsville (Smiths Grove), KY
Chalybeate Springs Sports Complex Share
3 / 175ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1    5/7/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: AdamE
Pros: Chalybeate seems like a nice quite park. The course is a little on the short side, has Discatcher Pros baskets and looping 9's. It has a nice mix of open and wooded holes. Most of the course is fairly flat, but there are a couple cool shots with big elevation changes. There are a couple turnover shots here, but for the most part it's hyzer city.
Cons: I feel I have to review this course in the condition I played it in, and this course shows no signs of being taken care of. Nine of the holes had tall, punishing rough over knee high in many places. That included the fairway on many of these holes making them extremely difficult if not borderline impossible to play. It was so bad I played many of these with a bright colored putter because my goal quickly changed from "play the hole well" to "throw a putter 75ft so you don't loose a disc or spend forever looking for it."

The tee pads were pretty short, but they're level with the ground so it's not a big deal.

About 4 of the holes are wide open with no obstacles.

Holes 3 and 9 play through tight gaps so small they're almost unfair. Trying to hit an 8-10ft gap roughly 100ft off the tee is a bit ridiculous IMHO.

Hole 6 has so many trees in the way there is no fairway. Just poke and hope.
Other Thoughts: Overall this COULD be a nice, fun little course if it was taken care of but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening right now. I wouldn't recommend anyone play this course in the condition it's currently in.

Hopefully this will change and I'll update my review if I find out it has. With a little TLC, this course would be playable and enjoyable and I'd probably rate it a 2.5 if it was in good condition.