Louisville, KY
Charlie Vettiner Park Share
Uploaded By: LtDan914 Hole #15 (Taken 10/2011)

Want to rate it higher

2-4    11/16/2012   11/28/2012
Review By: DG addict24
This review was updated on 8/6/2013
Pros: There's just something appealing to me about courses like this where you have semi-wide fairways, with dense forests running along both sides. I think it looks cool and it's fun to play shots. They make your line for you, it's easy to tell what you're supposed to throw every hole. This course had a great mix of shots and fantastic elevation changes. You had to go left, right, up, down, open holes, wooded holes. This course had a decent opening hole and a great closing hole. The last hole was tough but really scorable at the same time. I played the course twice and made bogey on it the first time and birdie the 2nd. This is definitely the best one around.
Cons: Some of the tee signs were in rough shape. There were some laying at the base of the pole they were supposed to hang on and some weren't there at all. The ones that were there weren't very informative and a couple of times I was wondering, Where's the basket?
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, one of my favorites. It has all you can ask for in a technical course. If you're coming to Louisville this is definitely the place to play.

WOW

1    6/1/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: Mike B.
Pros: I was impressed and intimidated by this course, possibly the most difficult course I have played other than the course I learned on in Lake Area of Yellowstone National Park. The first course I have lost a disc on in years. Extremely tough wooded holes, many with doglegs and elevation changes, lots of tunnels, even the more open holes have elevation changes and mature trees to navigate through.
Cons: Not a good course for beginners, the out of bounds is thick and unforgiving, The tunnels can be monotonous, and with a thick out of bounds filled with poison ivy oak and sumac you'll tend to lay up more than take risky shots. A few tees were missing signs and could a couple of places I wasn't too sure where the next tee was.
Other Thoughts: It is so good to find a course that you don't have to douse yourself in bug spray to play, and to see wildlife on a DG course again was a huge plus ( Bison and Elk frequent DG courses out west, but I'll gladly settle for deer and rabbits) After loosing a disc on hole 2 and then having to shoot over a ravine on hole 3 I was a bit intimidated by this course, It's definitely a tight and technical course, if you're new to the sport this is not the course for you, one could easily spend most of there time in the woods looking for discs.

Spectacular Holes

1    6/27/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: cc0049
Pros: This course has some really amazing holes on it. Hole 1 starts off with a very picturesque downhill shot where you have to hit a small opening at the bottom of the fairway to be set up by the basket. I can't remember the numbers for some of the others, but the first few holes and holes 12-18 are tons of fun and are very challenging. The elevation that comes into play add a lot of challenge, beauty, and fun to the course. The course seems to be very well maintained and clean for the most part. This course is very visually appealing and has a good layout. There are quite a bit of improvements that have been done to the course such as staircases and bridges that have been built to help dgers traverse some tricky spots.
The baskets were in good shape, there were appropriately sized concrete tee boxes, and there were detailed signs to help with navigation. The course was pretty easy to follow for a first time player even without a map.
Cons: There are several blind holes that require you to walk far ahead to see where the basket is at. This adds a lot of time to your round when playing it for the first time. It became very tiresome for me at some point during the round and it took away from an otherwise very enjoyable round of golf. There are also several holes where it is a good idea to have a spotter on.
The few open holes pale in comparison to the wooded holes. They really seem to just be filler to make 18 holes. It adds to the variety of the course to have some open holes, but a couple of them lack any challenge at all.
I did not notice many trashcans on the course and did not see any restrooms.
Other Thoughts: The fairways are fair and the roughs can be rough. There is a nice level of risk/reward on this course. Hole 18 is a very difficult hole to finish on. It is basically a U-shaped hole forced by a mando at the corner. (I was definitely thinking thumber over the top of the corner, until I noticed the mando).

1    11/21/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: FreddieC
Pros: Very Challenging course...Varied terrain, elevation changes, great diversity (from heavily wooded narrow fairways to wide open rippers) Plenty of obstacles, Mandos, etc and hardly any water!!
Cons: Some of the tee markers are damaged or missing which caused me to walk several holes to find the pin. Very muddy in spots; for example, Hole #2 looks like somebody got their 4 X 4 back their and did a 'yard job.'
Other Thoughts: Stay on the fairway to have a pleasant game. Trust me.

If there is a signature hole, I would say its Hole #18. Check it out for yourself!!

Great corse

5+    10/3/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: tacoma38
This review was updated on 10/8/2009
Pros: Great course for all levels of play.Lots nice long shots!and plenty of tunnels thru the woods.Down hill shots..up hill shots..left and right hand..Nice and clean course!! not alot people on course at one time! great course!!!
Cons: Hard to find!!Tough terrain for older players with any medical problems
Other Thoughts: If you play and are in town,...its a must play!! check it out!

A for Awesome!

1    8/22/2009   9/3/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
(Many of the holes will punish a bad deuce attempt with a bogey. Several holes really make you think about how to approach them and how aggressive is safe enough to not hurt your score.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
(Almost every hole out there feels rewarding when I card the result I hope for.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
(Great variety of hole shapes and lengths and great use of terrain. The course has 3-4 different vibes depending on where you are on the course - very cool.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
(Overall very nice. Beautiful woods and meadows. Seclusion is great for half the course and OK for the part running along the park road. The area around the start/finish does feel haphazard or something. I knocked off half a grade since first and last impressions count.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == B
(Hole 18 is really cool even though it caters to the really big arms - either big drive or big overhand 2nd shot is needed to score well. Hole 16 is really interesting too, but more finesse than power is needed. Needs more par 4's and 5's IMO since the ones out there are so cool.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Elevation Change and Lot of Variety

2-4    1/31/2010   2/4/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice Practice Area (although one basket has been damaged . . . not sure if that was from the ice storm but it is all mangled and the chains are gone. UPDATE: 3rd basket is still missing

2) Nice signage on most holes. (#5 tee sign was missing) Next tee signs to direct you to the next holes were helpful and placed well.

3) Awesome variety in holes. Some downhill holes, some uphill and even more on sidehills! I really enjoyed the basket locations on those sloped holes. They really made it fun (but the ice around the baskets did not). There are a few holes where it is wide open, but none you can really just rip loose because they are short. But a couple of them have a forced layup or a mando to navigate to get a second shot down the fairway.

4) Some very nice tight wooded holes forcing layups. You really need to be able to shape your shots around the wooded areas.

5) Very scenic. I really enjoyed the stream behind #9 green. It leaves you with a nice peaceful thought as you try and tee off on #9. The wooded areas were a nice walk on their own.

6) Nice infrastructure. DGA Baskets were in good shape, and the teepads were even better. Nice size to the teepad. I have played on concrete tees that just aren't wide enough, these had plenty of room. Signs are in good shape too.

7) Alternate tee locations on a few of the holes allowing for the beginner to at least have a shorter throw.

8) All in all this was one of my top 3 courses . . . granted I have only played 11 now, but this hits the mark (UPDATE: Still one of my favorites and I have now played 171 courses) . I am sure once the limbs are cleaned up and the ice melts this course is phenomonal, so I rated it as if these things were taken care of. I am sure getting power to the locals is morei mpoartant than the disc golf course. This course is one of only a few courses I have rated at 4.5! I like the challenges it presenets and I look forward to coming back in season to play this course again. I know I can do better. I think the ice cost me 5 shots because my disc kept sliding down the hills around the basket.

UPDATE: 9) I do not remember this the first time but there were some nice railroad ties steps put in place around Hole #13 and #14. Perhaps the first time they were under the ice, but they certainly are worth a mention as they greatly help a very steep part of the course.
Cons: 1) Not very beginner friendly because of the majority of the holes having tight fairways, multiple hazards like streams and such and many chances to have bad rollaways on some of those hills.

2) Terrain of the course could be difficult for some to walk. Be sure to have good traction in the snow or when its gone, I am sure it gets slick when wet.

3) A few holes have alternate tee locations, but I think a handful more could use another tee also.

4) Too many blind baskets from the tee. First timers will really struggle to find where they are going.

UPDATE: 5) 3 inches of snow a few days prior to my second time playing this course had half of Louisville out here to go sledding. There were numerous throws I had to shortarm to avoid the areas where people were standing or sledding, and I think these people had no idea what it was I was doing out there. It would be nice if they designated certain areas of the park for sledding and slightly removed from the DG course.
Other Thoughts: I played this course after the Ice Storm that hit Kentucky. Despite the ice on 5 or 6 holes really affecting play, and the 5 or 6 holes affected by down trees and dead limbs, I still had an awesome time.

UPDATE: I played this course again about 1 year from the first time I had played it. I enjoyed it more this time because the 3 inches of ice was gone . . . it was replace with a fresh 3 inches of snow when I played this time.

Accuracy & Distance

2-4    3/23/2008   11/21/2008
Review By: dobbins66
This review was updated on 3/26/2012
Pros: Beautiful course which offers a lot to the players. Some distance is good but don't sacrifice accuracy (especially on #18). This place gives you the opportunity to go-for-it and either rewards or punishes you based on your shot. I love courses that present the opportunity and challenges players to try a shot. Great hole designs which present every type of challenge imaginable - The fairways are there you just better not miss. Played this course for the first time this year and my first round was in a the CV Open - Boy did I throw a lot of forehand rollers. Bring every shot and be ready to use them. Hole #3 can be a beast if you miss your line and #18 is a punishing finishing hole.
Cons: Not many - A few holes can be a little slick because of erosion (Hole #1 I believe is pretty slick) and can get muddy in a few places so come prepared.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course and can't wait to get back there in '09. Well taken care of and a lot of though in the hole designs. Great work.

Humbler...

5+    9/28/2008   9/28/2008
Review By: MulliganStew
This review was updated on 1/22/2009
Pros: This is a world class course. Lots of different challenges, ever changing terrain, clean long tees, couple short holes many long, hyzer and anhyzers, pro tees. It will really work you over if you are not up to a nice long course. Trees and brush come into play on more then half the holes. You really have to know your game to play this course, landing zone is critical on several holes. Beware the disc eating evergreens as well. I have had two discs get caught, luckily it was windy, one fell the other was low enough to knock out. Hole 18 is a killer hair pin turn. Three nice bridges have been installed, more hill work is on the way, thanks to a scouts project.
Cons: Needs more garabage cans. Some of the hills on the back 9 are downright trecherous if it has rained. Def risk of losing a disc or two in the summer. Just a great course to work out your skills.
Other Thoughts: Add 9 more to it! There is plenty of room. No matter how good I think I am this course humbles me.

1    5/24/2008   5/28/2008
Review By: jgentry
This review was updated on 10/31/2008
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. It really has a great variaty of shots. It is very well kept and is in a nice park. Every hole presents a different challange and you will have to pull out all of your shots on this one. There are well marked signs and nice teepads for every hole. Holes 12 through 18 are all really nice challenging holes. Hole 18 is like nothing I have ever played before.
Cons: Can't think of many. THe only thing I can thin of is there are 2 holes that are completely open that are both midrange shots of about the same length.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course to play if you are in the area and will require you to be creative with your shots. You can score pretty well on this course because of the short open holes and all of the wooded holes have well defined fairways. I notice that a lot of people are complaining about #18 being to long. You need to throw a nice long first shot. The second shot is a thumber over the woods to cut 150-200ft off the hole. From there is you made 2 good throws you have a short approach for a tap in 4 or a jump putt with a chance at a 3. If you go all the way around the horseshoe it will take you a lot of throws.