Layout Extinct

Fairfield, IA
Chautauqua City Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #7 (Taken 6/2009)
5 / 297ft.   5 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Addition

5+    10/3/2010   10/6/2010
Review By: Bobhorton
Pros: Just added 9 more holes to make this an 18 hole course. Added some shots for lefties and an uphill hole also. All 18 are concrete pads.
Cons: Signs are ordered but not installed yet. But they are easy to see the baskets from the pads.
Other Thoughts: New baskets contain 24 chains instead of the 12 on the older ones. Great time. If you get a chance to play it give it a try.

Pleasantly Surprised

1    4/10/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Multi-use park, lots of fully grown trees. Course had some elevation, which is rare for many 9 hole courses. Very interesting thought out holes. # 3 is where it really takes off. Nice long slight downhill hole, with drop offs and rough behind and on each side of the pin. 5 is a nice tight narrow shot over a ravine, and a bridge to get you across. Don't over shoot though, or you'll be throwing back up to save yourself. 8 is a difficult shot, as there is no straight way to get there, either a hyzer or anhyzer, with lots of trouble on the right, a little safer on the left.
Cons: Missing signs when I played, though maybe by now those have been replaced. Busy park, and with the park being so small, I felt myself worrying about everything else in and around the park. No room for expansion. Navigation was difficult for the first three holes, after that it was fine. Caught up to a large group of people, really weren't interested in allowing me to pass. I could have been done (solo round) in 30 min, but it took me 25 min for the last 4 holes. Looking back, I should have skipped a hole or two and then went back to finish, but being my first time there; I didn't feel comfortable with this. I didn't like the location of the signs relative to the tee boxes, I remember warming up (waiting on the group in front of me) and on my practice swing I smacked one of the signs. Yes it was my fault, but the signs are really close to the tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the layout of this course. I didn't think much of it after not being able to find hole 1, and when I did it was missing a sign. But as I started to play I ran into some really great holes. You can get a couple of quick rounds in, and not take up too much time. Nice playground so you could bring the family and all would be happy. Surly a course worth checking out if you're in the vicinity, you will definitely have a good time if you stop for a round or two.

A Great 9 holer

5+    1/28/2010   10/19/2009
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 9/13/2010
Pros: -Flows nicely around the perimeter of the park. (Some holes play around playground equipment, so be mindful).
The 9th hole will put you back, near the parking lot.
-Baskets are placed in excellent locations.
-Cement Tee boxes
-Enjoyable and fun to play.
-Good use of Terrain
-I like how the tree line, gives this course a nice backdrop.
-Innova Disc Catchers
-Restrooms in Park
-Pop Machine if I remember right
-Most of the Teeboxes are easy to spot from the previous basket. Except #2, which is across the road from the middle of the first fairway. Not a big deal, just worth the mention.
-Excellent pin placement for a course that is located in a small park.
Cons: -It is a park, so there will be kids around.
-Hole #2 plays alongside a shelter, BE CAREFUL!
-Ironically the first Tee is Hard to spot. I drove through twice and missed it. (As you pull into the Park, the parking lot is on the right, the first tee is on the left. It sits between the Park road and the residential road that runs parallel to the park.)
-There are signs at the teebox, but no course map.
-The course is small, and short. I finished the course in about 25 to 30 minutes.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course was in my neighborhood. It's a 9 hole course, that is well worth your time. It is a small course, yes, but this is the kind of course I could play 3 or 4 rounds and not get bored with it. It's small and it does play fast, I played it in about 40 minutes. But There something about this course, I made sure I went back and played it again, before I left town. I just had fun with it! If you are traveling across Southeastern Iowa, do yourself a favor, and stop and play here. It's fast so you'll be back on the road in no time. I wouldn't drive out of my way to play here, but whenever I come back to visit, I'll play here at least 1 or 2 times. This is my favorite 9 hole course. It's just a fun course.

A Small Golden Nugget

1    6/23/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Donovan
This review was updated on 7/6/2009
Pros: This 9-holer is a very short course to work on your approach and putting. #5 has a nice window through the trees and over a creek drive. They use what elevation they have fairly well. Much of this course is in the shade, so it is great for the hot days. You will find the first hole (to your left when driving in) behind you when you park as it is in the strip of land across the road of the main park. After that, navigation isn't too bad. This park is well maintained and clean. Trashcans were readily available and bathrooms by hole #2. The tee signs did show hole number, par, and footage. The cement tee pads were long enough for the hole distances.
Cons: The sign were stating pars of 4's & 5's with nothing really playing over a 3. That should not be a negative, but it is fair to state that the par was probably set for kids. #9 tee sign was missing, but the grounds crew said it would be back up shortly as they showed it to me. ;) Most of these holes were straight-aways, except for the occasional tree, so a variety of shot selection is not needed here.
Other Thoughts: The fun factor at this course was surprisingly not bad. I enjoyed the round enough to want to play it again. I don't normally like courses that are this short, but it seemed to be fun to play.

Unforgiveable rough

5+    5/23/2009   6/16/2009
Review By: CwAlbino
This review was updated on 7/1/2009
Pros: The course is well maintained and in a nice city park. Fellow disc golfer traffic varies, sometimes you have the whole course to yourself for a very relaxing play through.

Can be a good beginner or a more advanced players course, not short, but not long holes. Hole number 3 always makes for a challenge, as well as 5 where you do not want to overshoot the basket, or clip a tree branch when shooting over the small ravine. The ravine is marked as a water hazard, but it's a dry ravine, don't let that make you feel any better about throwing one down there though as it is very steep.

The course is laid out nicely and doesn't really favor RHFH or RHBH. T
here is one dogleg right, but hole four is best thrown backhand (hill slopes to the right for a bad roll)

very fun, i go back again and again.
Cons: -only 9 holes
-watch where your disc goes, I've lost more discs than I'd like to admit just on hole 3.
-Also when throwing on hole three and four be sure to know who is on the course with you, four runs up the left side of the fairway of three. The teepads are visible to each other, just wait for the group on four to go and all is good and safe.
Other Thoughts: My home course, so I will try to be unbiased :)

It is a good birdie course, and I usually get flustered if I get a four on anything.

Nice Short Play

2-4    8/15/2008   4/22/2009
Review By: djmcgaffey
Pros: This is a fun short course that can be played rather quickly. All holes are par 3's and easy to get to.
Cons: A couple of the holes are played close to playground equipment so you need to be alert to what is going on around you.