Los Angeles, CA
Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #4 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #4 Long Alternate Tee

1    7/18/2015   10/4/2015
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 11/13/2015
Pros: -Located in Elysian Park in Echo Park neighborhood of LA, this hilly 18 hole course provides a great view of Dodger Stadium and downtown on the eighteenth hole.
-Multiple pins and tees to make things interesting.
-Very secluded. You won't see anyone but disc golfers on the course.
-Technical course. Avoiding the hills is just as, or more important than, avoiding the trees. Leave the drivers in the bag.
-Great tee signs. I didn't get lost, once I found the course itself!
Cons: -Honestly, this course would get a 3.5 instead of a 2 if it weren't for the HILLS. The hills are absolutely ridiculous. On #7 I hit the cage on my 25ft putt and it rolled about 200ft downhill all the way into the soccer field. AARGH!. And this isn't one or two holes. I'm talking 15, 16 holes with steep slopes.
-I was fortunate not to lose any discs, but be prepared to lose some down the hills if you play here.
-If you miss the super-skinny fairways you have to make your way down the steep hills. It is very easy to slip or trip. I could imagine a good number of ankle injuries here.
-The hills forced me to play ultra-conservative shots on so many holes it got boring. Putter, putter, and another putter.
-Really hard to find. No signs point you toward the first tee from the athletic fields/parking area. You have to find a windy, hilly trail and make your way around the tee 1. Thank goodness I had the course map or I'd have been helplessly lost.
-The only restroom is at the athletic fields, near where you park.
-18 basket is REALLY far from parking area. You have to wind your way across like three fairways and down the hill.
-No water fountains on the course. Bring plenty of it, the hills tire you out.
-Dirt was everywhere. Perfect for unintended rollers.
-I could imagine awful traffic during Dodgers home games.
Other Thoughts: -Honestly it matters just as much to land the disc flat as it does to throw the correct shot. Rollers abound.
-I don't live nearby and didn't have a chance to play other LA courses when I was there, so I cannot recommend a different course but I can imagine there are at least a few nearby that don't have atrocious hills.
-Next time I'm in LA, I'm finding something a little flatter!

Three and Out

1    7/21/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: Mateo227
Pros: - Great tee signs. I would have been totally lost if not for the informative tee signs that include general directions to the following holes.
- Good tee boxes. I would have preferred concrete but the rubber mats ensured sure footing, for now.
- The course is in good shape. A big thank you to all of the volunteers who keep it clean and nice!
Cons: - Poor layout. On the back nine most holes are parallel to the previous ones making it repetitive and increasing the chance of running into the group in front of you.
- No drinking water. If you are constantly running up and down the ridge like me, you will get thirsty.
- Very steep hills. I've listed this as a con because the hills only come into play if you make a bad shot. I would imagine a course like this would have at least one hole with 300' elevation change from tee to basket.
Other Thoughts: Chavez Ridge forces accurate shots and inflicts penalties of long upshots or killer drop-offs if you are not spot on. The course has immense potential but is limited by it's repetitive design and lack of creative use. Forcing tight shots at consistently short distance is not enough to make this course above average.

This is a great place to practice your right handed forehand throws with midrange discs.