Anderson, SC
City Beach DGC Share
Uploaded By: billnchristy Hole #3 (Taken 10/2009)
3 / --   3 / 275ft. Par / Distance:

Beginner Friendly

5+    7/6/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: Devon S
Pros: It's a short beginner friendly course. Short holes in a small spot. You can take someone out there and play a quick 9 in about 30 minutes. I've taken about 3 guys out there and taught them how to play. It's a pretty open course, so you won't be looking for discs in the woods like you would at the other course in Anderson, SC.
Cons: You CAN NOT play this course during the winter when "Lights of Hope" is up.

Well, Holes 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 can be tough to play when people are there. There are a lot of people out there on the weekends during the summer. And people will park right on the fairways and lay down on towels right on the fairways, and they don't care to move for you. They WILL just stare at you like you're some weirdo for playing a sport they don't know about. I've even seen people hang their towels up on baskets to dry them.

The Woods on hole 2 are not RHBH friendly. If you bring a newbie, they will be throwing a disc down in there. Water on hole 3 can be an issue when the lake is up. You can over throw 6 and land in water if you aren't careful. I've had some friends throw some of my discs in the water there.

It's almost like the course doesn't fit there, they say they want to extend it to 18 holes, but I just don't see how that's plausible.

Tee boxes could be better.
Other Thoughts: It's not as bad as people make it out to be, it could be better though. Sure The Trails is the better course in Anderson, but it's nice to take a break from all the trees that are there

1    4/9/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: The park is a small peninsula sitting on a picturesque lake. The Discatchers are in perfect shape.

Other Pros:
- adequate tees (natural but boxed in)
- adequate tee signs
Cons: The major issue I have with this course is that it is completely crammed into a space that it doesn't fit.
9 holes still come too close to other park activities. The holes are relatively short too. To get to many of the next tees you need to backtrack the fairway you just played.

Any sort of crowdedness will make this very unplayable.

Other Thoughts: Sometimes navigation gets tricky but, a quick drive around the park will give you an easy idea on how to navigate the course.
The water level was very low when I was here. So the water did not come into play at all.

I read that there are plans to expand to an 18 hole course, I saw no evidence of that process. If the course does expand, a complete re-design would be a good idea.

At least there's a great view of the lake

2-4    4/7/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 3/5/2013
Pros: Below average park with above average view. The best thing about the course, sadly, is the amazing view of Lake Hartwell. Other than that, it seems like a wasted opportunity.
- Course has 2 solid holes, a couple of decent holes (#2, 4 &7), and then holes that fall in the "other" category.
- The two good holes are #3 & 9. #3 is a perfect use of playing over water. It's a dogleg left, 275 feet, which requires you to start a hyzer (RHBH) over the water, and let it curve back to the basket, which is protected by trees. The water is shallow (ankle deep at least 10 - 15 feet out) that even if you hit a tree/branch, and land in the water, you should have no problem retrieving disc. #9 is the longest hole at 331 ft. You have to pick your path around a line of trees to a basket underneath another tree.
- Tremendous potential to improve this into a solid course. There seems to be plenty of land to carve out more holes. If they do indeed create a new 18-hole course, this could turn into something good.
- Baskets are in good shape. Tee signs are nothing too special. They have hole #, distance, and an arrow pointing in the direction of the hole. Some holes had next T signs.
- Course is 2 minutes off the interstate; 3 minutes if you have to sit at the light. You can play 9 holes in 15 - 20 minutes, so consider it a quick pit stop when driving on I-85.
Cons: Holes are poorly laid out. Picnic benches are in play holes #1, 5 & 6. If park were to get crowded, other holes could easily have people on them. #1 is really bad because the "fairway" is directly over picnic benches, and there's really no other way to the basket if benches are in use.
- Water comes in to play, to varying degrees on holes # 2 - 6. On #3 & 5, you're throwing over the edge of the lake. On the other listed holes (2, 4, 6), one ricochet off a tree, or a shot 20 feet past the basket (#6), and you're in the lake.
- The facilities here are below average. There's an old bathroom, and that's about it. I didn't see any water fountains. At least there's a gas station right at the exit, and you're only 5 minutes from plenty of restaurants in downtown Anderson.
- There were too many lonely fellows slowly cruising through the park for it to not be a coincidence. Some only cruised through once or twice, others kept it up the entire time I was there. Yes, I'm talking to you mister-old-man-in-the-red-PT-Cruiser. I had a separate encounter with one of these fellows, but that's another story for another day.
Other Thoughts: The course and the park could offer so much more. With a view like that, this should be a great park. Instead it seemed most popular amongst fishers and lonely cruisers. I hope it's a different story on the weekends and in the summer; otherwise, what a disappointment.
- Course could have better signage. It's not hard finding them all, just takes a little work finding them in order. The tee for #1 is directly across the park road from the first shelter.
- The tee pads are just dirt, but with most holes being so short, it's not an issue.
- Course is clearly aimed at the casual player/beginner. For advanced players, it's just another course to mark as played.
- If as much work goes into this course as went into Trails, down the road Anderson could have 2 nice courses. In the meantime, skip this park, unless you want to picnic next to the water, and spend your time at Trails.

A Disc golf rest-stop

1    10/20/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Adequate signs
Nice tee boxes for earthen tees, at least they were boxed in and gave you a general idea of where you were throwing.
A nice overall sign and map on the building nearest tee 1.
Some high risk due to all the water, but there always seemed to be a way to take the dry route, except 5, but it was a blast.
Cons: If the park was crowded there would be areas where you were at risk of hitting someone (6-8 and maybe 9).
9 misled me to believe the shot was around the trees straight ahead while it was way right...my fault for not looking, but the sign and tee position seem odd.
Other Thoughts: This is a cool little course on a peninsula right off the interstate. If you are driving up or down I-85 you can dive right off and take a quick 30 minute break with some pretty decent disc golf.
I wouldn't want this to be the only course near me but I found it an awesome little quick pit-stop on the way to my destination.
The course and park seem pretty well maintained and it looks like there is a club there that is working on getting a full course installed...I hope it works out and would love to come up and play it.

Not too shabby.

1    10/17/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
This review was updated on 6/17/2011
Pros: I liked the fact that it was a short 9 hole. Alot of times you are humping your A off but this was a breeze. Don't get me wrong. I am perfectly fine with alot of walking, but this little 9 holer was just right!
Cons: LOTS of ant hills. Maybe just the season for it but man were they everywhere. Chances to lose discs if you stray a shot due to water. BUT doubtful if you are a decent tosser.

Summertime means no disc golfin. Too many beach goers.
Other Thoughts: Loved the beach feel. I could see another 9 going in but again they would be short as well. Overall I think it wasn't as bad as the last few reviews. I live in Simpsonville and if I'm ever in Anderson I would def. play again.

During peak beach/grill/boat season it could get ugly on that course though. Many many picnic tables have you in range to ding some heads. Well worth a trip at least once if not more.

derwin

5+    1/3/2001   8/27/2009
Review By: robbiepitzer
Pros: Its right on the beach. Plus you can get there by boat or car. I love the fact that you can play it two or three times without really feeling it. A lot of trash cans and bathrooms.
Cons: its short. I heard that there might be a back nine in the works. But as the way it is now, its pretty short
Other Thoughts: if you are looking for a place to play and cook out this is the place for you

Pretty Park-OK Course!

1    7/21/2009   7/29/2009
Pros: The park takes up a peninsula surrounded by the lake on three sides. The course utilizes most of this peninsula. It starts on the left side of the park road as you come into the park. I think the first two holes play on this side before crossing over unto the right side of the park. There are a variety of holes. Some play through wooded areas, some more grassy open and a couple playing through picnic areas. The baskets are fine. Teepads are natural and not always easy to find. The lake is pretty and almost always in view. You throw out over the lake on one hole. For a little nine holer, it's not real easy to follow.
Cons: It doesn't look as though it gets a lot of players. I doubt if many casual park users would play. Playing through the picnic areas could be a problem on busy days. There is a risk of lost discs in the lake on 2-3 holes. Kind of an unimaginitive design but there's not much terrain to work with.
Other Thoughts: I guess maybe some locals might come here and get a quick practice round in. I snuck in early one morning before the park actually opened.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    8/22/2007   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D (course seems designed for Frisbee players, not disc golf. There are only 1-2 good DG holes)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B (Course is on a peninsula so you always have a nice view of the lake - pretty! On the downside you are playing through picnic areas so seclusion is non-existent.
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.