Reidsville, NC
Hole #7 Approach

So close

2-4    11/20/2010   11/23/2010
Review By: Frank Delicious
Pros: Holes that were really fun to play on this course: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10*,11,13,16,17. Those are all holes that I would rate as above average. Yes even hole 11 the wide open hole. I like that they mixed that hole into there b/c it makes you change your mindset from tight wooded shots to open distance shots and then they promptly throw you back into the woods on a super tight tee shot on hole 12. The fairway on all the above listed holes were clear and fair and for the most part appropriately sized for the distance (as in the longer the hole, the wider the fairway). Only one basket was placed in what I would consider a dumb location but I think it is due to how the hole was designed (hole 15). All the other holes were on greens that allowed you a putt from any angle if you were within 30'.

The teepads and quality of tee signs and signage to next tees was top notch. I had no problem navigating the course .

The course was very clean which is probably b/c it is in a park that one has to pay to enter ($2, which is worth it). The park also has a shop at hole 1 that carries discs, food and drinks and has clean bathrooms.

*teeshot only
Cons: My biggest con with this course was the tee signs. While well made and very nice they did not accurately represent a lot of holes. Hole 17 was the most misleading. The sign represents it as a gentle (maybe 20-30 degrees of turn) anny but it is actually a very sharp, almost dog leg shot. If you are on a tee and you can't see the basket, I suggest you walk at least some of the fairway to get a better idea of the hole.

Holes 14 and 15 were really dumb holes and felt like they were forced into the design after the fact. In fact I almost went to hole 16 tee after 13 b/c it flowed that way and only signage kept me from going there. Those two holes seem like someone realized they only had 16 holes and needed to add two really quickly. Hole 15 also had the only badly placed basket also; it was probably only 8' from water. It was probably placed that close to the water b/c if you moved it farther right (away from water) it gets way too close to 14's tee.

Hole 12 is a badly designed hole, it goes from almost impossible teeshot to easy layup. The teeshot is an anny down a fairway about 10' wide with a few badly placed trees that will knock down anything not absolutely laced.

Hole 18 has the potential to be a great finishing hole. The biggest problem with the hole is there are a lot of 2-4" trees in the middle of the fairway that can knock you down into the creek the runs down the middle of the fairway. If they would just cut those trees down, the hole would still be a challenging hole with a tee shot that requires distance and accuracy to be put in a good position for a 3 but as it is now there is more luck than skill off the tee.
Other Thoughts: Short pads would be nice on this course. There are two already in place that shorten the 600' hole to 400' and lets people not throw over the water on 16. There are a lot of lengthy holes that could use some Am pads though (4, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13, 18). I played with my wife who is a rec player who had a tough time and saw quite a few groups of casuals really struggling out there on the longer holes. Anyone below a solid intermediate player might get frustrated at this course and a few well placed Am tees would solve that issue and speed up play for a lot of people.

This course was an odd mix of holes that I really liked intermingled with a some holes that I hated. I think the last 1/3 of the course containing most of the bad holes left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I would probably rate this course higher if I played the holes backwards.

Last thing: watch out for random people walking through the woods. I had hikers/campers walk into the fairways on hole 2, 7, and 8 and none of them realized they were walking into a DG course.

Too tight = luck necessary

2-4    9/27/2008   12/27/2009
Review By: ARock
Pros: Some really tremendous holes with long shots necessary. Also, many wooded holes with accuracy necessary. Love the holes that are multiple shot par 4's and 5's. Water is in play on much of the back 9 which is fun because of the thought/strategy required with those shots.
Cons: Just way too many "chuck and pray" shots for my liking. I don'd mind tight, wooded shots, but there at least needs to be a distinct fairway or clear view of what you are "supposed" to do. Too many of these holes don't even have a fairway. The $2 entry fee isn't outrageous, but adds a little inconvenience.
Other Thoughts: The well designed holes are absolutely fantastic. Then, there are just some holes that seem to have been thrown in randomly without clearing out a path to the basket. Disc golf is a game of skill and I don't care much for those holes/courses where luck plays such a major role.

A work In progress with some thought provoking hole designs

1    12/6/2007   5/20/2008
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros:
NOTE: I put a lot more time and effort than usual into trying to understand this course, and I labored over this review. The course designer, Russell Schwartz, and I exchanged several emails and he very graciously gave a lot of his time to discuss the course in a long phone call.

This course opened in summer '07 and I played it in Dec '07 while it was still pretty new. When I played it there was a list of items still to be completed, so the course was still a pretty new and unfinished work in progress.

I especially liked the holes on the back nine where the lake came into play. There are also creeks in play on several holes and 6 holes on the back nine have water on them. The drive on 18 is a really cool shot plays straight down a creek until you get to a perilous landing zone.
There are some really good and fun holes such as 1 (short valley shot in trees), 2 (great fairway in the woods), 5, 15, 16 (my favorite; see more below)
The land has nice trees and terrain. 14 holes are in the woods, 3 are a little more open, and 1 is a long wide open downhill hole to let it fly at full power.
There are a wide variety of fairway shapes- 4 St/ 4 Lt/ 4 Rt/ 5 S curve/ 1 L bend
Excellent length variety: [Short tees] 8<299/ 5 of 300-399/ 3 of 400-499/ 2 of 500-520
There's a fair amount of elevation changes. 9 Up/ 9 Down. The greatest is +30 ft, but 10 holes are under 10 ft elev change.
Tees are very good rectangular raked concrete, and tee signs are fine with a basic map.
Cons:
There are still lots of thorns in places.
Seven baskets are hard to see from the tee.
If you play in the late fall it's easy to lose your disc in the leaves on the holes in the woods.
Course Level = Blue (Advanced)
There's work currently being done to finish up some aspects of the course, to make some holes a little more fair, and to address a few potential safety issues. There are a few trees that have been, or will be, taken out to make some fairway shapes more fair. On 18 it's planned for the landing zone on your drives will be made bigger.
There's an active beaver on hole 15.

You be the judge-
I have great respect for Russell Schwartz' course designs, but I expect that this course will continue to produce some strong reactions, as it already has. Some of the holes have creative design intentions which require uncommon shots. These are intended to add variety, to stretch the boundaries of hole design, to make the best use of the available terrain, and to force a player to think about their shot selection. In addition to the Schwartz signature "L" shaped fairway on hole 7 these unusual holes are 4, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 18. Most of these holes have forced layups which require more accurate, lower power, and shorter shots. Some players will appreciate the creativity and diversity of playing fairways that are different from the norm, while others will be frustrated because the holes don't play the same way that they're used to. Big arms may be especially frustrated when they have to hold back their power on some holes. On a few of these holes (especially 17 and 18) I was baffled how to throw the hole and wondered what the intended shots were. It may have been because I didn't have the skills for certain shots, but several times I couldn't figure out how to make a disc follow the fairway. Personally, I rather liked the unusual holes because for the most part they add variety, but by the end having them on 6 of 18 holes may have been a little too much. I suspect that the typical Advanced (Blue level) player that the course is most suited for may not like these holes as much, so my rating is a little lower because of this.
-I expect the course rating to improve a little over time as some issues are taken care of, the work is finished, and the course gets more broken in.

Favorite holes: 16. From the long tee- you drive over the water for a beautiful hole with risk that makes your palms sweat.
15. A beautiful hole with the lake all down the left side. Play it safe with shorter shots for a 3 or take a big risk to try to get near the basket for a deuce.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.