Annandale, MN
Clearwater/Pleasant Lake Share
Uploaded By: tolson Hole #9 (Taken 6/2009)

Great Casual Course

1    10/2/2016   10/4/2016
Review By: CrimsonDG
Pros: -New, grippy tee pads (two on most holes) and new tee signs.

-Well defined fairways, with strategically placed trees forcing you to think about your shot. Not overly wooded either.

-Trash cans on most holes

-Offers challenges for both experienced and newer players alike

-Well maintained, and overall an appealing course

-Great "fun factor" for all players
Cons: -Not overly challenging, the gaps to hit are not that tight, and the tighter holes are shorter.

-The few bomber holes had relatively little challenge, and didn't force you to hit a landing zone with accuracy.

-The technical holes weren't all that technical, usually a basic dogleg without much challenge.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course to play, if you are in the area or are willing to make the drive. It's great for both beginners and experienced players to enjoy a casual round with some difficulty, but not challenging to the point where it starts to feel relentless. I brought a first time player and we each had a great time and he said he would definitely want to come back. I would have to agree. While not championship quality, this is a great free course nestled in a city park with a prairie feeling.

1    6/19/2016   6/20/2016
Review By: mrbro855
Pros: What a great course!! New concrete tee pads for both long and short tees. (The pics in the media links are OLD!) Loved the path ways from basket to next tee. Signage was great... never looked at the printed map once I started.
Perfect blend of open holes, wooded holes and some in between. Each hole had a uniqueness to it.
CLEAN is the word that comes to mind. Even the wooded areas were clean. Minimal under brush, seemed as though they must rake a lot of it from away from the baskets and fairways.
Great fairways in the open area. Loved the tall prairie grass which bordered several of the holes. It made it look like a PGA US open type course!! (Yes, the wind carried one throw into the grass that I had to search for!!)
Cons: Could use a tree or two more on some of the fairways to cause more thought to your tee shot. That said, there were numerous trees in their infant stage that will take care of that down the road.
Other Thoughts: Was course #7 of a 2 day Father's Day weekend trip that netted me 12 new courses in Minnesota. Played it at 6 am on Fathers day and loved it!! Would rank it close to Bryant Lake in the Cities (just needs BL's signature #17 hole!!)
With the planted trees in the fairway it appears they are planning for the future as well.... Keep up the good work!!

One of the best free courses around!

5+    10/3/2015   10/19/2015
Review By: Meehan
Pros: Course is well designed; there are both open and wooded holes and it challenges you to use a variety of shots. The course is challenging for intermediate and advanced players without being too terribly difficult for a beginner.

I will say the front 9 is much easier than the back 9.

There are both long and short cement teepads, with benches and garbage cans sprinkled throughout the course. It is a well maintained course, and it has never been too crowded since I've been playing it when it first opened-even now since it's become 18 holes.

Fairways are mowed; the rough can get pretty tall, so keep an eye on your discs or use a spotter.

Directly across the street is a beautiful park with a nice beach, volleyball court, picnic area, playground and real bathrooms (not porta-potties). And it's only a couple miles outside of Annandale.
Cons: During the summer months, the mosquitos will get ya on the wooded holes and the horse/deerflys will buzzz you on the open holes, so if there's no wind/breeze-BE PREPARED.

Other Thoughts: For a free course, I think it is absolutely amazing. Hell, it's better than some pay to play courses (kaposia comes to mind because of the lack of maintenance in recent years).

Great Course

1    6/21/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: *fun course with nice variations in both difficulty and distance
*course is very well maintained and by the looks of it, more is being done
*very technical which makes it a challenge but not so much that you need to be a pro
*a few ace runs
*benches and concrete pads and maps on each hole
Cons: *mosquitoes
*a few holes are quite thick in the rough
*kind of in the boonies
Other Thoughts: I can't believe this is currently rated as a 3.3. That is a travesty as this is one of the better courses I've played in Minnesota. I would grade it at a 4.25 which is where I think it should be, but I bumped it up to 4.5 rather than down to 4.0 because of the current rating. I thoroughly enjoyed my round and look forward to throwing it again next time I'm in the area.

Top notch course

5+    6/6/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: Double Helix
Pros: Now an 18 hole course. Dual grippy concrete tee pads. Mach 3s. Every shot in the bag......long, short, hyzer, anny, open, tight, you name it. With the new holes it is a top course in the area. Not a ton of play. A great aesthetic course.
Cons: Harsh gravel under pins may grab discs better but may also chip them up too. Tall grass may hamper locating. As of this review new tee signs not up yet but stakes were in marking the locations and I'm sure they'll be nice. These are little complaints for reviewing purposes only.
Other Thoughts: Now that it is 18 holes it is a destination course. I'd rank it just behind the great courses in the southern half of the state that I've played (Kaposia, BRP, Hidden Lake). Nice flow, great shot selections, challenging yet fair. Well worth the drive!

Fun even when there is snow!

2-4    3/8/2015   3/8/2015
Review By: TymKoelln
Pros: Playable in the winter. Easy to find pins and tees. Mostly flat with s couple of holes that bend downhill.
Cons: Signs could be more descriptive. Too many trees for my liking.
Other Thoughts: Says pins pulled during the winter but they are up as of today.

1    6/10/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Very nice little course well maintained and mowed fairways. A very nice sign with score cards and maps are available at the beginning of the course. This side of the road the park seems to be disc golf only so there is no worry of pedestrian interference. There are dual pads on each hole and enough variety of shots to stay interesting. The wood frames keep the gravel tees from spreading out. With frames gravel tees tend to become more suggestions than defined tees. The course is mostly flat with the only real elevation change at hole 5. There is enough length from the long tees to keep your interest but is very newbie friendly from the shorts without becoming to easy and boring. The design was well thought out with the terrain available here. Hole 5 would be the signature hole. Navigation was very easy with the nice wide paths between many of the holes.
Cons: The gravel tees could use a little attention to level them out, however they are plenty playable. The short pads are in good shape probably do to much less play. The other is just the fact that it is only 12 holes.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a fun course to play, I found myself ready to go again.
I am not a fan of the high grass in the rough, but it does add to the incentive to throw accurately. However I don't find it to make a difference in score. I would definitely like to play again next time I visit.

Fun, Pretty Course

1    6/6/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: csonju
Pros: This is a fun and beautiful course. The fairways are cut, and the long grass is not very hard to find discs in. There are plenty of trees that will knock your disc down, but in general the course isn't that hard.
Cons: It does get pretty buggy on some of the holes deep in the woods. The tee boxes have experienced a lot of wear and have large divots where your feet should be placed. They are in desperate need of an upgrade.

Pretty Course With Cut Out Fairways!

1    7/23/2011   8/23/2011
Pros: The Clearwater/Pleasant Lake Course sits across the street from the beach park. The course itself seems to disc golf exclusive. I would think due to it's fairly remote location that it wouldn't ever be overly crowded.

There is a nice course map sign at the beginning.
There are two pads for each hole. I believe the short pads were probably the originals as they have the maps. The Longs just have the hole # and distance. Until about # 10, they just added length to the hole, anywhere from 50 to 200'.
The terrain is mostly flat with numerous smaller immature trees. So consequently it seemed as though every hole involved some sort of tunnel shot. The fairways were nicely mowed grass with taller disc-hiding grass beach grass on both sides.
My favorite hole was # 5 which, surprise, which happened to be the only hole on the course with any elevation. It plays 357' from the Longs and 249' from the Shorts. It's a nice anhyser shot down to a basket beneath some trees.
The course nicely circles back to the beginning.
Cons: As mentioned before, the cinder teepads are not the greatest. I played them in the rain and they weren't too bad. I could see them being dusty and rough in dry weather.

I personally really dislike tall grass roughs like this. I always find myself spending large amounts of time searching for discs that have landing just a few feet off the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I can see that the parks department takes pride in the facility here. I'd like to see them scrap the cinder tees and maybe go with patio blocks or concrete. That would be a huge improvement.
I would guess if you lived nearby, you'd be able to play here at times and have the course all to yourself. It's a pretty little park and that beach across the street would be might inviting after a couple of rounds on a hot Minnesota afternoon.

I Wanted to like it

2-4    4/7/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
This review was updated on 4/25/2010
Pros: A nice looking course as part of the county park system located on Clearwater and Pleasant Lakes. It is located across the highway from the park area (which appeared to be closed this time of year), which apparently has restrooms and other amenities. I wanted to give this course better than a 2.5 disc rating, I rather enjoyed the layout and the variety of holes that range from 500 foot wide open number 10, to 200 foot technical dogleg right number 7. The 2.5 disc rating comes from the complete lack of tee boxes - though there appears to be bunkers all over the course in locations that would have made great tee placements (for those that can't see the sarcasm, I am being facetious). Imagine trying to tee up out of a sandbox, it's a twisted knee just waiting to happen.

-Good Variety in tee shots and fairway design. 1-3 start off with straight 300 foot shot with a number of trees in and around the fairway. Several holes were mostly wide open and long, I was able to let it rip off the tee, I used holes 9 and 10 as a driving range, landing 3 of 4 discs within 10 meters of the basket on the laughable par 5 posted hole 9. There are a couple of nice dog legs, 5 being a beautiful long downhill anhyzer throw, 7 is a very short, but difficult technical narrow dogleg right, followed by 8 which is a short open dogleg left. Hole 6 is a nice 300 foot narrow wooded fairway to thread the needle on.

-Nice map at the beginning

-Good baskets (when they're there, the first round I played here in mid march I had to play with imaginary baskets)

-Quiet (for the most part). When I arrived at about 2:30pm I was the only car in the parking lot - school must have let out shortly after that because it was soon crawling with high school students, they all appeared to play only part of a round because one minute they were all over the place, and the next it was quiet again with only another pair of guys playing.

-Well Maintained Fairways, nicely mowed fairways with thick prairie grass for most of the rough. This may make it difficult to find discs in mid summer with tall grass everywhere if you can't hit the fairway.
Cons: -My biggest gripe is the tee boxes. The first time I played this course (with imaginary baskets) the ground was damp, and the gravel tee boxes worked fine. The next time it was very dry, at first I attempted to use the awful looking tees, every time I would kick up a cloud of dust and never get solid footing. After I cranked on my knee and nearly fell on my face for the second time, I gave up even trying to use the tees and made my own tee in the grass somewhere nearby, which is a shame because several of the holes had a nice challenge that could only be encountered from the tee box. I was just glad to walk out of there uninjured. I would have given this course at least a 3.5 rating had there been even just dirt tee pads (anything would be better than these sandboxes).

-Wind. Wind isn't necessarily a bad thing, it adds a nice challenge. The holes along the lake, 6-8, have a stiff breeze coming off the water that makes these narrow wooded holes rather difficult to thread the needle.

-Lost Disc, now I realize it's possible to lose a disc on any course, and if you're reading this, you may not have any trouble at all here. I don't know what it is about hole 5, but of the 4 times that I've played this course, every time I play hole 5 I spend several minutes looking for my disc, it disappears every time that I throw that long downhill anhyzer (this is still my favorite hole on the course).

-No Garbage cans - apparently the kids think the baskets are garbage cans, because nearly every hole had beer cans or bottles in or on the basket.
Other Thoughts: It's worth a play if you're in the area, if something isn't done about the tee boxes, I would suggest finding a flat grass area to tee off from rather than blow out a knee in the sorry attempt at nice gravel tees. Holes 9 and 10 were the reason I came back a second time, because I had bought a bunch of new drivers, I needed a driving range to test them out, was a perfect place for this. In early season, double check to make sure the course is open. Also, it's a nice place to get away from the crowds of the Twin Cities or St. Cloud to take time and focus on different shots.

Favorite Hole:
Hole 5, a 340 foot; (that's a guess, I don't remember the exact measurement) Anhyzer shot downhill, I struggle with this one every time, but it's great fun!