Annandale, MN
Clearwater/Pleasant Lake Share
Uploaded By: tolson Hole #2 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #2 Approach

1    6/10/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Very nice little course well maintained and mowed fairways. A very nice sign with score cards and maps are available at the beginning of the course. This side of the road the park seems to be disc golf only so there is no worry of pedestrian interference. There are dual pads on each hole and enough variety of shots to stay interesting. The wood frames keep the gravel tees from spreading out. With frames gravel tees tend to become more suggestions than defined tees. The course is mostly flat with the only real elevation change at hole 5. There is enough length from the long tees to keep your interest but is very newbie friendly from the shorts without becoming to easy and boring. The design was well thought out with the terrain available here. Hole 5 would be the signature hole. Navigation was very easy with the nice wide paths between many of the holes.
Cons: The gravel tees could use a little attention to level them out, however they are plenty playable. The short pads are in good shape probably do to much less play. The other is just the fact that it is only 12 holes.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a fun course to play, I found myself ready to go again.
I am not a fan of the high grass in the rough, but it does add to the incentive to throw accurately. However I don't find it to make a difference in score. I would definitely like to play again next time I visit.

Fun, Pretty Course

1    6/6/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: csonju
Pros: This is a fun and beautiful course. The fairways are cut, and the long grass is not very hard to find discs in. There are plenty of trees that will knock your disc down, but in general the course isn't that hard.
Cons: It does get pretty buggy on some of the holes deep in the woods. The tee boxes have experienced a lot of wear and have large divots where your feet should be placed. They are in desperate need of an upgrade.

Pretty Course With Cut Out Fairways!

1    7/23/2011   8/23/2011
Pros: The Clearwater/Pleasant Lake Course sits across the street from the beach park. The course itself seems to disc golf exclusive. I would think due to it's fairly remote location that it wouldn't ever be overly crowded.

There is a nice course map sign at the beginning.
There are two pads for each hole. I believe the short pads were probably the originals as they have the maps. The Longs just have the hole # and distance. Until about # 10, they just added length to the hole, anywhere from 50 to 200'.
The terrain is mostly flat with numerous smaller immature trees. So consequently it seemed as though every hole involved some sort of tunnel shot. The fairways were nicely mowed grass with taller disc-hiding grass beach grass on both sides.
My favorite hole was # 5 which, surprise, which happened to be the only hole on the course with any elevation. It plays 357' from the Longs and 249' from the Shorts. It's a nice anhyser shot down to a basket beneath some trees.
The course nicely circles back to the beginning.
Cons: As mentioned before, the cinder teepads are not the greatest. I played them in the rain and they weren't too bad. I could see them being dusty and rough in dry weather.

I personally really dislike tall grass roughs like this. I always find myself spending large amounts of time searching for discs that have landing just a few feet off the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I can see that the parks department takes pride in the facility here. I'd like to see them scrap the cinder tees and maybe go with patio blocks or concrete. That would be a huge improvement.
I would guess if you lived nearby, you'd be able to play here at times and have the course all to yourself. It's a pretty little park and that beach across the street would be might inviting after a couple of rounds on a hot Minnesota afternoon.

I Wanted to like it

2-4    4/7/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
This review was updated on 4/25/2010
Pros: A nice looking course as part of the county park system located on Clearwater and Pleasant Lakes. It is located across the highway from the park area (which appeared to be closed this time of year), which apparently has restrooms and other amenities. I wanted to give this course better than a 2.5 disc rating, I rather enjoyed the layout and the variety of holes that range from 500 foot wide open number 10, to 200 foot technical dogleg right number 7. The 2.5 disc rating comes from the complete lack of tee boxes - though there appears to be bunkers all over the course in locations that would have made great tee placements (for those that can't see the sarcasm, I am being facetious). Imagine trying to tee up out of a sandbox, it's a twisted knee just waiting to happen.

Pros:
-Good Variety in tee shots and fairway design. 1-3 start off with straight 300 foot shot with a number of trees in and around the fairway. Several holes were mostly wide open and long, I was able to let it rip off the tee, I used holes 9 and 10 as a driving range, landing 3 of 4 discs within 10 meters of the basket on the laughable par 5 posted hole 9. There are a couple of nice dog legs, 5 being a beautiful long downhill anhyzer throw, 7 is a very short, but difficult technical narrow dogleg right, followed by 8 which is a short open dogleg left. Hole 6 is a nice 300 foot narrow wooded fairway to thread the needle on.

-Nice map at the beginning

-Good baskets (when they're there, the first round I played here in mid march I had to play with imaginary baskets)

-Quiet (for the most part). When I arrived at about 2:30pm I was the only car in the parking lot - school must have let out shortly after that because it was soon crawling with high school students, they all appeared to play only part of a round because one minute they were all over the place, and the next it was quiet again with only another pair of guys playing.

-Well Maintained Fairways, nicely mowed fairways with thick prairie grass for most of the rough. This may make it difficult to find discs in mid summer with tall grass everywhere if you can't hit the fairway.
Cons: -My biggest gripe is the tee boxes. The first time I played this course (with imaginary baskets) the ground was damp, and the gravel tee boxes worked fine. The next time it was very dry, at first I attempted to use the awful looking tees, every time I would kick up a cloud of dust and never get solid footing. After I cranked on my knee and nearly fell on my face for the second time, I gave up even trying to use the tees and made my own tee in the grass somewhere nearby, which is a shame because several of the holes had a nice challenge that could only be encountered from the tee box. I was just glad to walk out of there uninjured. I would have given this course at least a 3.5 rating had there been even just dirt tee pads (anything would be better than these sandboxes).

-Wind. Wind isn't necessarily a bad thing, it adds a nice challenge. The holes along the lake, 6-8, have a stiff breeze coming off the water that makes these narrow wooded holes rather difficult to thread the needle.

-Lost Disc, now I realize it's possible to lose a disc on any course, and if you're reading this, you may not have any trouble at all here. I don't know what it is about hole 5, but of the 4 times that I've played this course, every time I play hole 5 I spend several minutes looking for my disc, it disappears every time that I throw that long downhill anhyzer (this is still my favorite hole on the course).

-No Garbage cans - apparently the kids think the baskets are garbage cans, because nearly every hole had beer cans or bottles in or on the basket.
Other Thoughts: It's worth a play if you're in the area, if something isn't done about the tee boxes, I would suggest finding a flat grass area to tee off from rather than blow out a knee in the sorry attempt at nice gravel tees. Holes 9 and 10 were the reason I came back a second time, because I had bought a bunch of new drivers, I needed a driving range to test them out, was a perfect place for this. In early season, double check to make sure the course is open. Also, it's a nice place to get away from the crowds of the Twin Cities or St. Cloud to take time and focus on different shots.

Favorite Hole:
Hole 5, a 340 foot; (that's a guess, I don't remember the exact measurement) Anhyzer shot downhill, I struggle with this one every time, but it's great fun!

Good Prairie & Woods 12-holer

5+    6/25/2009   6/25/2009
Review By: tolson
Pros: (1) Course layout is quite good. An enjoyable mix of 12 holes to play in a well-kept prairie setting with wooded areas around the perimeter. Distances vary from the accuracy-required short trio of holes in the wooded mid-section -- #6 (tunnel shot), #7 (sharp dog-leg right) and #8 (RHBH hyzer) - to the longer finishing four holes, including the 600 foot #10.

(2) Layout flow is very good with clearly marked pathways between the basket and the next hole. The only long basket-to-tee walk is between #9 and the back tee of #10.

(3) Good course for all levels as there are two sets of distances -- two tee pads - front and back - on all holes except the rather short #7 and #8.

(4) Pleasing to the eye. Thanks to regular mowing, several of the holes have a distinct fairway marked on the sides by waste-high prairie grass. It gives those holes somewhat of a feeling of being on a British Open ball golf links course. Okay, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but like links courses, you'll want to keep your round projectile out of the tall stuff!

(5) Frequently mowed fairways (the park staff obviously take pride in their work) as mentioned above.

(6) Good signage, augmented by printed maps available at the information board by tee #1.

(7) Course is empty much of the time, especially on weekdays. While it would be great to see more usage, it's nice to have the course to yourself much of the time as this allows for a leisurely pace and ample practice putting and throwing. (See related notes in "Other Comments" about alternate layouts.)

Cons: (1) Tee pads. While it is nice to have natural surfacing (a reddish dirt) in a natural setting, the downside is that most of the tee grounds have pot-hole type depressions. The unevenness of this driving area means you need to be careful in your striding prior to the throw release.

(2) The current pin placements make great sense, but this good quality course would be even better if there existed the option for one or two additional pin placements on some of the holes.

(3) 12 holes is better than 9, butů The course is an enjoyable length just the way it is, and the designer made good use of the land provided. But as long as there are only 12 holes, the course will likely not be considered championship caliber.

(4) Mosquitoes and ticks in the wooded holes, especially at dusk (duh). Just bring strong bug spray, and you should be fine.

Other Thoughts: As noted in the "Pros" section, you can have the course pretty much to yourself a lot of the time. During the summer I vacation a couple of weeks in Annandale, so I have the luxury of playing on weekday mornings. If no other player is on the course, I have followed the 12-hole round by playing an alternate layout of 15 additional holes that are made up partly of following a reverse path of the course and adding a few other holes along this changed routing that target the existing baskets from various made-up tee areas. The result is that I end up with a total of 27 holes of play, a nice number for the golf purist. Rather than detail my alternate layout, I will leave it up to your imagination to create your own personalized course. That's the fun of it.

(Obviously, you should not make up different holes and play alternate routes if there are other disc golfers on the course.)

Fun

1    6/15/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: slash87
This review was updated on 6/27/2009
Pros: This course is beautiful. It has plenty of challenging holes for the pros ( 600 foot)and is a great place for beginners to learn.
Cons: Tall grass, bugs, ticks
Other Thoughts: Play 12 then jump into the lake and then play 12 more.

Good course, should be 18 though

5+    8/18/2008   5/6/2009
Review By: d4nk
Pros: Well groomed fairways, fairly open course, not a lot of tree'd holes.
Cons: Mosquitos of course, the tees need to be fixed badly some of them have 1+ foot deep holes, they are sand tees...
Long Distance between tees could have been replaced with more holes.
Other Thoughts: Should be a full 18, good course when you don't like that hassles of there being way too many people.

Nice Course

1    9/20/2008   10/8/2008
Review By: mndiscg
This review was updated on 7/18/2012
Pros: -Good mix of distance and shot variety. Some long some short some wooded some open, you get the picture. -Mowed fairways.
-Course map/scorecard at hole 1.
-Not busy at all.
-Trees are used nicely as obstacles.
-Nice baskets
Cons: -Easy to lose discs in tall grass near fairways.
-Mosquitos come into play on a few of the woodsy holes.
-Longer walking distance between holes than most courses.
-Tees are pretty bad.
Other Thoughts: Located near a lake and beach area. It is on a big lot, nobody else is going to get in your way. I recommend this course.